Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt851

Anyone already judging Rangnick don't understand the reason he's been brought to the club in the first place.
Do explain what that was?

Some people on here are desperate to believe there is a plan beyond hiring a sporting director whose strengths lie in strategic change to do a short term tactical role. Sure there is his vague ill defined consultancy role after but i suspect you will be disappointed if you think that will amount to anything

Vapor trail

The decision to not play Rashford was ridiculous. Bruno isn't a striker, the same tactical approach was insufficient against City. Can't think of any manager aside maybe Tuchel who has shown the coaching proficiency to the extent of Pep to play against teams with no out and out centre forward. It was a poor decision.

I think the blame is 60/40 the players with the larger majority but some of Ragnicks choices have been confusing. Look at the attitude of the Spurs team now and just a few months ago the squad looked like it needed ripping apart. Ragnick was clearly never the answer for an interim manager he should be pulling strings off the field not managing on it.

Modern football has shown the importance of managerial pedigree and the reality is not one top manager has managed United since SAF retired. Moyes, Solslkjaer, Jose and LVG none of them have gone on to show any decency in their careers as a result of leaving compared to the likes of Tuchel who is fired from PSG and the very next few months is lifting the UCL.

It's not the most fancy surnames on the back of the shirt that is going to make a difference it's recruiting the right manager, after that everything else must be arranged to fall into place.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
People were disagreeing with me a few weeks ago when I suggested by the end of the season our record under Rangnick is likely to be worse than the form that got Ole sacked. He's had no impact at all on this squad.
He hasn't really coached for ages, but I also think people need to stop protecting these players. It has happened far too many times for it always to be the managers.

DomesticTadpole

If he does end up going I hope he tells the club where to shove their confidentially clauses up their rear ends and say exactly what has gone on and name names as well. Somebody needs to show some guts. I am not entirely against Poch if it did happen, I just think it will go the same route, great at first, then a hiccup and we get stories of players hating training, hating team meeting etc, etc. The club needs a new road to go down. Stop clinging to the past.

UpWithRivers

The decision to not play Rashford was ridiculous. Bruno isn't a striker, the same tactical approach was insufficient against City. Can't think of any manager aside maybe Tuchel who has shown the coaching proficiency to the extent of Pep to play against teams with no out and out centre forward. It was a poor decision.

I think the blame is 60/40 the players with the larger majority but some of Ragnicks choices have been confusing. Look at the attitude of the Spurs team now and just a few months ago the squad looked like it needed ripping apart. Ragnick was clearly never the answer for an interim manager he should be pulling strings off the field not managing on it.

Modern football has shown the importance of managerial pedigree and the reality is not one top manager has managed United since SAF retired. Moyes, Solslkjaer, Jose and LVG none of them have gone on to show any decency in their careers as a result of leaving compared to the likes of Tuchel who is fired from PSG and the very next few months is lifting the UCL.

It's not the most fancy surnames on the back of the shirt that is going to make a difference it's recruiting the right manager, after that everything else must be arranged to fall into place.
I can see why some say he should have played but saying its ridiculous he was on the bench is a bit far fetched. Rashford is a broken man. He's done at least for this season. You can see why it was a tough call and either option was sht. If Rashford was ideal for the 9 position and Ralf got it wrong then Rashford should have come on and ripped Leicester apart. What did he do in reality? Nothing. This United team is fkd. No matter what option Ralf choose it would have been fkd. He's dammed if he does and he's damned if he doesnt.

DSG

For those trapped behind a paywall, his four recommendations:

1. Aping Manchester City and Liverpool by recruiting unconditionally to the specific playing style of the new manager once known.

2. Prioritising physical, aggressive players in the first instance after concluding this squad is too soft physically.

3. Thorough profiling of a players’ “DNA” before signing.

4. Being prepared to accept it could take up to three transfer windows to put right provided the plan is followed
Real groundbreaking stuff here. Glad we hired him as a consultant. Just the same stuff the every pundit and Caf member has been saying for years.

What a clown.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Their job is to play, not be baffled by selections.

Also this almost feels like its players close to Rashford who would think this way.
Isnt Rashford a part of Pogbas little gang that mourinho tried to break up

estel_manutd

These players are so easy to dislike - can't wait for Lingard and Pogba to leave. Hopefully, we can also ship out Rashford, Shaw, and Martial.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Van de beek and Amad are not the problem here. It's the players that have been regulars in the first team that are the issue. It's something I've brought up for years on this forum and have repeated that our issue in this team is that we not only need technically good players but also players that are quick and mobile in defensive transition.

What Rangnick is saying isn't anything new and I've repeated the same lines for years. You need technical players as well as players who are strong in defensive transitions, hence I've always been against the idea of us signing players like Tielemans and Neves who are weak in the defensive transition if deployed in a higher defensive block. How many times have I mentioned Liverpool and their recruitment of big and fast CBs, their midfielders being extremely tenacious in defensive transition and the profile of player they generally target for the highly intensive play style of Jurgen Klopp?

Our problem when it comes to recruitment is the same problem too. We have hired managers who have all resorted to playing mid/low block football on the counter attack. Moyes, LVG, Mourinho and Ole, all ended up implementing a low block/mid block approach, which is a approach that looks to react to the opponent and not be proactive. So it shouldn't be a surprise that we ended up playing a reactive brand of football that relied on reacting to the opponent's mistakes on the counter attack. Whilst our rivals implemented a approach which was proactive and saw them sacrificing defensive stability for goals.

And Mourinho complaining about intensity is a bit rich when he personally brought in several players that weren't the most tenacious or mobile.
This is all true but its also a chicken and egg situation. The managers that come in, including Ole, and now including Ralf, give up on any kind of different football because they adapt to the squad they have.

When you force coaches to keep players, regardless of how those players are performing, that will constrain you. Many of the people on the CAF has to understand, if we get Ten Hag, unless the Board is willing to refresh the squad then nothing much will change. Ten Hag may come in with a plan to do X, Y and Z. However, he will look at the players he has and if he can't replace them he'll have to change what he wants to do.

People forget how different the squad Klopp inherited is to the squad that he started winning trophies with. He was allowed to recycle out a lot of players. That doesn't happen at United. Eric Bailly, Juan Mata and Lee Grant got new deals last summer. Can anyone explain why? That's just the way we, Man Utd, do business.

As long as we keep holding onto the same squad its almost delusional to expect a different output. These players are not suited to playing in a high backline, front foot, pressing way. We either replace those players or we go and get a counter attacking manager and stop pretending we wanna do something different.

I can see why some say he should have played but saying its ridiculous he was on the bench is a bit far fetched. Rashford is a broken man. He's done at least for this season. You can see why it was a tough call and either option was sht. If Rashford was ideal for the 9 position and Ralf got it wrong then Rashford should have come on and ripped Leicester apart. What did he do in reality? Nothing. This United team is fkd. No matter what option Ralf choose it would have been fkd. He's dammed if he does and he's damned if he doesnt.
Agreed. He's been cak. Dress it up how we want but its true. No he's not the only one. However, in his recent appearances he's been a ghost. Would anyone have banked on him scoring before Saturday? Has he looked like it? No.

ti vu

Disagree.

The team didn't play well, but tactically Bruno showed enough tactical benefit from this experiment. He got away a few times, and had 2 clear shot on target. One resulted in the equalizer goal.

It's just using the result to narrate now. There is no benefit from this starting Rashford since it's also a gamble, but with also even bigger risk given his form.

In this form, Rashford offers nothing, and Rashford the no 9 is shit. Even Ole couldn't bare with him and had Martial, Ighalo, Cavani there instead.

stevoc

He hasn't really coached for ages, but I also think people need to stop protecting these players. It has happened far too many times for it always to be the managers.
I don't know having grown up always watching SAF protect his players it always seemed to me anyway like part of a managers job.

Last edited:

DomesticTadpole

I don't know having grew up always watching SAF protect his players it always seemed to me anyway like part of a managers job.
He protected the ones who deserved or were worth protecting. Didn't pull your weight or created a bad atmosphere and you were gone.

stevoc

He protected the ones who deserved or were worth protecting. Didn't pull your weight or created a bad atmosphere and you were gone.
Yeah he got rid of players who weren't pulling their weight but they were protected while they were at the club. I'd much prefer the manager of Manchester United to do that vs the Jose style throwing random players under the bus every time they are upset.

johndurham49

Disagree.

The team didn't play well, but tactically Bruno showed enough tactical benefit from this experiment. He got away a few times, and had 2 clear shot on target. One resulted in the equalizer goal.

It's just using the result to narrate now. There is no benefit from this starting Rashford since it's also a gamble, but with also even bigger risk given his form.

In this form, Rashford offers nothing, and Rashford the no 9 is shit. Even Ole couldn't bare with him and had Martial, Ighalo, Cavani there instead.
Not sure what Rash offers at present though. Don't get me wrong I am not sure these days what most of our team offer! martial, Cavani, Ighalo - have they actually pushed our team forward

DomesticTadpole

Yeah he got rid of players who weren't pulling their weight but they were protected while they were at the club. I'd much prefer the manager of Manchester United to do that vs the Jose style throwing random players under the bus every time they are upset.
To be fair I was not meaning the manager protecting the players. I was more meaning people outside the club protecting them. Ex-players, their hangers on, even some fans who will not have it that the players might be a problem. I agree that while a manager is here he shouldn't be throwing them under the bus as you said. However I hope Ralf is informing the board who he considers a bad influence in the dressing room.

johndurham49

I think we just need a strong manager mate. By this I mean someone, like Fergie, who wasn't afraid to drop you if you weren't playing well. Since the Fergie days, no manager has looked at the state of it and said 'enough is enough until you prove your worth at this club' which is sadly why we are at the point we are. I'd feel elated if we finished Euro league spot but back in Fergie's time, we felt hard done to if we finished below top spot!

stevoc

To be fair I was not meaning the manager protecting the players. I was more meaning people outside the club protecting them. Ex-players, their hangers on, even some fans who will not have it that the players might be a problem. I agree that while a manager is here he shouldn't be throwing them under the bus as you said. However I hope Ralf is informing the board who he considers a bad influence in the dressing room.
Fair enough mate I've no problem with that at all. I'm sure most of the squad will be aware that the next manager might have been informed by Rangnick that they're taking the piss and it gives them a boot up the hole.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Real groundbreaking stuff here. Glad we hired him as a consultant. Just the same stuff the every pundit and Caf member has been saying for years.

What a clown.
Just because its already been said doesn't mean it's not the solution or make him a clown. Maybe the club might listen to someone they hired to tell them.

clarkydaz

What a clown.
more the fact he says it out loud, probably my highlight of this season is his commentary on the club/players

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
No I think what people don’t understand why we brought in a consultant to manage.

But the backroom are so lost it was probably needed. However if we just got Conte when we should of. We would probably be 3rd now.
Conte was always the best short-term option. That was obvious. It would have given us the best possible chance of CL qualification this season.

But that's all you get with Conte - short-term. That might be fine if it'll get you titles in that period, but when we're up against two absolute juggernauts in City and Liverpool that would have been very unlikely. And then Conte would have done his usual combustion and we'd be having this exact discussion again - a short-term manager to try to get the best quick results or actually try to put in place something that will put us in a stronger position going forward?

Rangnick coming in to get first-hand experience with both the players and the entire coaching set-up, and then moving into a consultancy role, was the longer-term option (although I would have much preferred it to be more than just a consultancy role). It's also not like he's a shit manager or something. He's not a truly top manager, but he's not a poor one either. We would have still hoped we would have made top 4, but yes, it was less likely than if we had hired Conte instead. As long as we do truly value his recommendations and listen to what he says we should do afterwards, it'll be well worth it.

jem

What a clown.
How does speaking obvious truths, which are board has somehow never been able to grasp, make him a clown?

Ollie Derbyshire

I hoped he’d be able to get them playing as a well drilled side by the end of year after everything I’d read about him being the gegenpressing king and being able to shape a team so that’s a big disappointment as we’re still playing terrible football and can’t do the simple things.

I was in the Conte camp and still would have taken him, I think he’d have won something here over the next few years and that’s what we desperately need. He’d have got rid of the wasters as well just as Rangnick is trying to do, Pogba aside.

If we let Rangnick mould the football side along with a top class coach it’ll be worth it I guess in the long run as I do like the guy but if he leaves in the summer we’ll get ripped apart in the media and the negativity will just keep rolling on and rightfully so in my opinion.

SmallCaine

What a clown.
So what was he supposed to do, sell the club a mythical recipe made from the herbs found only in the deepest parts of amazon and on the highest peaks of Himalayas that magically turns rashford into mbappe or turns Jones into superman?

Last edited:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

What a clown.
The clowns are the ones who need Rangnick to tell them the obvious and also the fans that point blame towards people who have not had a hand in our joke of a decade.

I suppose it would have been better if he came out bleating some nonsense about DNA and passion like our 'legend' of a previous manager.

Rightnr

Right. Take a few weeks off enjoying cricket in Barbados after losing 4-1 in a derby and crashing out of the CL.

He’s nowhere near this level mate.
You've just proven his point. The guy is an architect, not a quick fix repairman.

If we wanted someone to get us top 4, we should have got Conte.

DSG

The clowns are the ones who need Rangnick to tell them the obvious and also the fans that point blame towards people who have not had a hand in our joke of a decade.

I suppose it would have been better if he came out bleating some nonsense about DNA and passion like our 'legend' of a previous manager.
Call it like I see it.

Remember, the fellas running the the club are the same ones who hired Moyes, LvG, Jose, Ole and now Ralf.

Ralf’s been awful, worse than Ole. He is, in some ways, an innovator. But like most idealists, has issues communicating with the squad and naively assumes everyone sees things the way he does.

Ralf’s not a bad guy, he just isn’t good enough to manage at United.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Call it like I see it.

Remember, the fellas running the the club are the same ones who hired Moyes, LvG, Jose, Ole and now Ralf.

Ralf’s been awful, worse than Ole. He is, in some ways, an innovator. But like most idealists, has issues communicating with the squad and naively assumes everyone sees things the way he does.

No one is with that squad.

jem

Call it like I see it.

How has our form under Rangnick been worse than what it was under Ole, when we were getting thumped by Leicester and Watford, alongside the violations handed out by City and Liverpool?

OleksUsykUD

He is usually talking the right things in the media, but just not deliver on the pitch.

Zero impact over us unfortunately. Top 4 was in our grasp, and we already should have been in there with a running position sealed.

It's funny though, even with all the bad results during his reign, and Ole, and we still have a chance to finish in top 4. Not a big one, but we still have.

DSG

You've just proven his point. The guy is an architect, not a quick fix repairman.

If we wanted someone to get us top 4, we should have got Conte.
Seriously, don’t try to get cute.

Under no circumstances should you think the board did not want Ralf to achieve top 4. United is a publicly listed company and saying “no thanks” to 80m in revenue in tantamount to corporate malfeasance.

The reason we didn’t bring in Conte was we were to chickenshit to sack Ole after Liverpool. Arnold sold the Glazers and the other board members (preferred shareholders) to sit tight and see if Ole could turn it around. By that time, Murtagh, who always had a hard on for Ralf, convinced Arnold to propose Ralf over other options.

The fact that the Cafhas chosen to eat the bullshit that the United PR team has served up disturbing.

why are we making moves like RB Leipzig, when he have dinner with Real, Barca, Juventus and Bayern???

We are one of the biggest clubs in the world, and it’s time we acted like it.

DSG

How has our form under Rangnick been worse than what it was under Ole, when we were getting thumped by Leicester and Watford, alongside the violations handed out by City and Liverpool?
Post SAF, Ralf is the worst manager from a results perspective, this is well documented, there is no need to debate.

Rightnr

Post SAF, Ralf is the worst manager from a results perspective, this is well documented, there is no need to debate.
Provide the numbers and stop making sweeping statements as if they're fact.

Suggesting we would have done significantly better with anyone else with this squad is questionable.

Spurs bought Conte 2 big players in January and we refused to strengthen the area of the pitch that even Stevie Wonder could see was below PL level.

No matter how good a manager is (and Ralf is no miracle worker and never was expected to be), he needed some backing. Instead he was told to keep Lingard.

You blame the board for a lot but completely miss how Ralf was sold down the river. And the point was it was the people appointing him that gave up on the season by going for a guy who's a DoF and not a manager/head coach.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
He talks a good game and is clearly knowledgeable but it's obvious he's not cut out for management at this level.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Seriously, don’t try to get cute.

Under no circumstances should you think the board did not want Ralf to achieve top 4. United is a publicly listed company and saying “no thanks” to 80m in revenue in tantamount to corporate malfeasance.

The reason we didn’t bring in Conte was we were to chickenshit to sack Ole after Liverpool. Arnold sold the Glazers and the other board members (preferred shareholders) to sit tight and see if Ole could turn it around. By that time, Murtagh, who always had a hard on for Ralf, convinced Arnold to propose Ralf over other options.

The fact that the Cafhas chosen to eat the bullshit that the United PR team has served up disturbing.

why are we making moves like RB Leipzig, when he have dinner with Real, Barca, Juventus and Bayern???

We are one of the biggest clubs in the world, and it’s time we acted like it.
Arnold wasn't in place until February 2022.

DSG

Provide the numbers and stop making sweeping statements as if they're fact.

Suggesting we would have done significantly better with anyone else with this squad is questionable.

Spurs bought Conte 2 big players in January and we refused to strengthen the area of the pitch that even Stevie Wonder could see was below PL level.

No matter how good a manager is (and Ralf is no miracle worker and never was expected to be), he needed some backing. Instead he was told to keep Lingard.

You blame the board for a lot but completely miss how Ralf was sold down the river. And the point was it was the people appointing him that gave up on the season by going for a guy who's a DoF and not a manager/head coach.
Eh… too lazy to post the numbers. Ralf is roughly at a 42% win rate, Moyes is next at 51ish, everyone else above.

Watching the shitstorm v Leicester on Saturday, lazy passes, giving the ball away, poor FB play, feck me, however bad Ole was, nowhere near as bad as Ralf. Most of that is match sharpness and manager/training related.

You can say the squad isn’t good enough, and that is true, but Ralf isn’t a man manager, he’s an idealist, and had no understanding how to run a top club.

Status
Not open for further replies.