Ralf Rangnick | ex-interim manager | does anyone rate him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castia

He’s a DoF hence why he hasn’t managed in about 10 years, the excitement around this deal when it was made was because he was staying to help build the club not for the 6 months of coaching he would do.

Typical of the club that we’re listening to the likes of Fletcher over Ralf, we’re never getting back to the top with these feck up’s running the club.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
He’s a DoF hence why he hasn’t managed in about 10 years, the excitement around this deal when it was made was because he was staying to help build the club not for the 6 months of coaching he would do.

Typical of the club that we’re listening to the likes of Fletcher over Ralf, we’re never getting back to the top with these feck up’s running the club.
Can you post evidence that we're listening to fletcher over rangnick?

L1nk

Other than it's been widely reported we're listening to Murtough and Fletcher who are interviewing the potential managers and it being widely reported we aren't even bothering to ask Rangnick for his opinion

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Other than it's been widely reported we're listening to Murtough and Fletcher who are interviewing the potential managers and it being widely reported we aren't even bothering to ask Rangnick for his opinion
Rangnick has reportedly backed ETH so how's that work? :lol:

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.

People saw it coming a mile away, that initial positivity from the hire all gone, people were right to be skeptical. Same old shit from this club
Working few days a week is exactly what consultancy is. If he works every day then it is a full time permanent job. Typical controversial article with no substance

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Working a couple of days a week is exactly what a fecking consultancy is?
People have made themselves believe he is going to be a integral part to the restructure for some reason.

He is a consultant that will give general advice to Murtough. Nothing else.

jem

How does that work exactly?

Surely the next manager will have his own ideas and form his own opinions on the squad first hand when he takes over. A lot of people really seem to have overestimated what Ralf's role at United will be post season, he was never stated to be taking up a DOF type role.
Oh I don't know...maybe the word consultant had something to do with it?

OleGunnar20

Dissapointing but not unexpected. It always was labelled as a 'Consultancy' to be fair, as much as many of us hoped it might turn out to be more.

I'd trust him to rebuild us properly if given the DOF position, but that's clearly not happening. Here's to hoping Murtough's got what it takes.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
If he literally worked six days a month each month rather than that just being what his contract nominally has him down for then that'd be a hell of a lot more than I expected. I assumed he'd just be consulted around key times/decisions or for short periods in terms of reviewing structures or whatever, with long gaps in between being consulted. Not providing regular or structured input.

We do actually have both a DOF and a Technical Director after all and they were always going to be the ones actually running the football side of the club given, y'know, it's their job.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
If he literally worked six days a month each month rather than that just being what his contract nominally has him down for then that'd be a hell of a lot more than I expected. I assumed he'd just be consulted around key times/decisions or for short periods in terms of reviewing structures or whatever, with long gaps in between being consulted. Not providing regular or structured input.

We do actually have both a DOF and a Technical Director after all and they were always going to be the ones actually running the football side of the club given, y'know, it's their job.
To me it sounds like a long weekly meeting and two bi-weekly meetings.

SparkedIntoLife

I like him but I can't help feeling disappointed. For me, his biggest strength was never in his actual management of a team but in his mindset towards football and the stubbornness to force what he wants through.

He's long been someone advocating for young and hungry players but he has been very cautious about giving any of ours a proper chance. Arguably, matches have been too high pressure and I understand him sparing the youngsters from the current shit show while they're buzzing with the Youth Cup run. However, against Leicester, we had nothing up front. Couldn't he have put Charlie McNeil on the bench instead of Phil Jones for example?!

The pressing style has seemingly been dropped. I get why he's done this as he hasn't got the right profile of players but it doesn't feel especially imaginative or inspirational and the alternative play style is far from sparkling.

His media comments have been predictably interesting but there's been lots of weird mixed messages. The Lingard stuff was very odd and he's thrown a couple of players under the boss fairly unnecessarily. The 'no one's spoken to me about the next manager strategy' was appalling if true but, if not, he shouldn't be lying about that. There's been lots of weird digs at his bosses but little sign that he's directly telling them what's up. He seems to be enjoying the pay day and not directly rocking the boat too much but also sowing subtle, passive aggressive seeds that he can later use against United to preserve his reputation.

I also find him quite negative and it feels like the motivation has been drained out of him. He's not helped by the fact he's an interim coach but he doesn't seem the type of person to gee up players. He's lukewarm at best in praising anyone/anything publicly and the shruggy shoulders approach to questions feels weak.

In addition to that, he hired Sasha Lense as a psychologist but the players seem to be getting worse mentally and the attitude in the camp is shocking.

I still want his brain in our club and in more than just a token gesture capacity. I can't pretend, though, that I'm bowled over by his performance or general approach thus far. It's like he's been sucked into the vortex of cowardice and inertia that has long existed within our club.

Greck

People saw it coming a mile away, that initial positivity from the hire all gone, people were right to be skeptical. Same old shit from this club
He's the only one who has a remote understanding of quality. The rest are clueless goofs renewing the contracts of failing personnel and thinking signings like AWB are ideal for modern football. Contrary to what people now want to say our transfer committee wasn't simply Ole telling everyone to shut up while he stubbornly chased donkeys, they were all on board. Almost ridiculous one now has to be dragged into defending Ole but he wasn't the only problem at the club

You don't need to give RR control but he needs to be a part of building a team for ETH. ETH doesn't seem to have that kind of extensive experience on the recruitment side. Getting the right subtype of player is huge for that kind of football. He needs help even with experience or we'll have a repeat of LVG's time here. If we leave it to the current bunch we will end up with more of AWB and Maguire. I just can't believe someone saw these players and thought they were adequate for an attacking team.

Last edited:

Mainoldo

How many days a month do a he need to identify our vision. He just needs to help iron out our new ‘DNA’

The problem is the people give the task of taking on his advice. Darren flipping Fletcher.

stevoc

Oh I don't know...maybe the word consultant had something to do with it?
Yeah and I'm sure the permanent manager will consult Ralf if he feels the need but I imagine he won't want or need Rangnick to assess the squad or make decisions for him.

Further evidence

Not sure why anyone's surprised by this from the club they were up front about it, in the initial statement when he was hired it said he would stay on in an advisory role after his time as manager.

DSG

Sharks do swim in those waters and Ed Woodward is a big one, the kind of guy who would never defer to a subordinate while remaining in his role at the top of the house. He might have asked for input from Arnold but the final call would be his. After seven or eight years of mismanged transtions why do think it would be handled differently now?

I pointed this out because stating that Woodward wasn't the guy calling the shots while he was CEO detracts from your arguments. I'm happy to be proved wrong here but the onus will be on you to show that Arnold was signing the cheques and not Ed.
With all due respect, the shareholders call the shots. Once Woody was announced as leaving, the greatest concern from shareholders is transition and replacement of Ed. If you’ve ever been involved in large corporations at VP level and above, once the announcement happens, the lame duck is consulted less and less.

BTW, the sharks are not Ed persee, he’s hired labor to run the biz. It’s the hedge fund managing directors and fellas like Goldman and other large shareholders.

DSG

how much money has Ed burned in the last 9 years, he had to walk as they wouldnt even consider firing him. Lets not make out this is a meticulous, cut throat well run corporation
Oh, the Glazers are 2nd gen pussycats who don’t know what the feck they are doing. It’s the institutional investors that will cut your throat and leave you bleeding in the street for a dime, metaphorically speaking.

The club is literally run with the sophistication of the local laundromat, don’t get me wrong. Institutional investors don’t feck about with the day-to-day.

Ed was loved by the board because he was a giant ATM making tons of money by pimping out the United name. Had no fecking clue on the football operations and thought he could spend his way to success without the proper structure and no innovation.

DSG

When you hear that we're already writing down the new deals for the players before the new guy even sets foot in the place, you can guess that this will not be the case and they're just blowing smoke up our arses. Our restructuring will probably be as effective as a cabinet reshuffle. New faces, same agenda on the table.
Agree. Absolutely what they are doing…

DSG

Which is why I was so unhappy with Ralf’s on pitch results. We are literally talking about a 1/4 time employee, probably getting paid 3-5k per day for the next 2 years.

Really? He’s going to transform the club with no decision making power working a few days a month and collecting 25k/month?

Everyone was looking for Ralf to be our savior, but he’s got his hand in the till as well and frankly doesn’t give a shit.

Jam

Whatever your opinion on Ralf is; you can’t suddenly acted shocked at this 144 days nonsense.

The club, from day one, said following the management stint he would employed in a consultancy capacity for two years. The club has a technical director and director of football, Ralf isn’t there is manage the structures he’s there to provide guidance.144 days is just a nominal thing, and he’ll work as and when required and within that consultancy his firm will be working with the club throughout.

Arnold, Murtough, and Fletch are the day in day out club operations who will “learn” from Ralf - that is the intention.

Mercurial

His ideas are expensive in terms of perform or get out. We operate on a more Disneyland level still.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
With all due respect, the shareholders call the shots. Once Woody was announced as leaving, the greatest concern from shareholders is transition and replacement of Ed. If you’ve ever been involved in large corporations at VP level and above, once the announcement happens, the lame duck is consulted less and less.

BTW, the sharks are not Ed persee, he’s hired labor to run the biz. It’s the hedge fund managing directors and fellas like Goldman and other large shareholders.
They do, and as far as I know the Glazer family are far and away the largest shareholders with the most votes. Their class B shares have ten times the voting weight versus the class A shares that are available publicly, giving the family around 75% control. So while it's great for institutional investors like Ariel and Lindsell Train that they own over 10 million class A shares each, they don't appear to have sufficient weight to seriously influence decision making at United.

Greck

I'm sure many knew and why were pushing for Arnold to do something. Anyone thinking Murtough hired Ralf to replace him was in a different headspace, not least because it would be batshit crazy but because it wouldn't even be technically possible without the board, CEO or higher club authority. The footballing structure Ed left behind could however definitely do with some alterations to better support ETH, because once again, it wasn't just Ole making bad decisions. He was backed by a team of fellow bad decisionmakers. Ed already got cocky and outted how the great newly revolutioned transfer committee jointly decided on AWB and Maguire.

We already made the shift to decision by committee as far back as 3 years ago. The people on the committee were just somehow even as bad as the manager or less qualified. Most qualified was Phelan and good lord if the reports are true that he was one of the masterminds behind that summer then he has no business still being here after Ole got sacked. Many of these actors have less of a case to stay on that Rangnick. They already failed and were hired as agents of Woodward and Ole. We're going to however do the same thing we do with players where we ignore all the red flags and let them stick around and stink up the joint for the next 3 to 5 years,

Last edited:

Castia

It’s been widely reported that Fletcher is in on the next manager appointment plus the fact that he’s a full time role within the club compared to Ralf’s part time advisor role next year.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
It's been clear all along he was never going to have any power at the club. I don't think he'll stick around at all.

gorky_utd

Glazers are bad but people running the club are even worse if rangnick is not allowed to re built the squad. No wonder players like Rashford feel they can do anything they like as long they have good relationship with these people in power.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016

Same deal as Cavani, then?

Brophs

The One and Only
Presumably this consultancy will allow him the option of walking away and taking a job. Probably with a payoff. Hard to see him sticking out two years of zoom calls where his ideas are ignored.

Anduin

There are talks in Austrian media that he is about to become the coach of the Austrian national team.

The report (Kurier is quite reliable with football news) says that Team Manager Peter Schöttel is already in Manchester and negotiating. Not sure what to make of that...

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
With the exception of the coaches and Ed, all the people responsible for our downfall are still at the club after 10 years. Some have even had a promotion.
The idea that there would be a fundamental change of how the club is run was always fanciful.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
I'm currently going for a voluntary consultancy role within my discipline. It's an extremely influential and important role and I'd be representing / advising the professionals in my discipline from across the UK and would be the UK rep on European panels. The commitment is 14-23 days per year.

72 days a year is high for consultancy.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

There are talks in Austrian media that he is about to become the coach of the Austrian national team.

The report (Kurier is quite reliable with football news) says that Team Manager Peter Schöttel is already in Manchester and negotiating. Not sure what to make of that...
Well, that's that then. Good for him I guess. Its fairly clear that we have little intention of taking his ideas forwards. He may as well get another job. At least then we can draw a line under the whole charade of his 'consultancy.'

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Tbf I never bought into the consultancy thing anyway, I think that was just more of a guarantee that he will still keep getting paid after just 6 months of being in England.

We have to remember he quit his permanent job to join us half way through a season, I think he wanted some assurances it wouldn't be a waste of time.

He can still easily do his consulting role while being Austria manager btw.

Green Arrow

My only concern is that if he does take the Austrian NT job and we appoint ETH I thought both ETH and Ralf would be working together of payers etc. If it's going to be with John and Darren well I don't think it will work out at all.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Another case of player power winning? Stories came up as how Rashford wont sign the contract if Rangnick is involved with the club. Then this news popped up.

Delano

Be classic United this.

Hiring a person who thrives in creating a long term strategy, in a short term role.

Then, when it comes to start working on the long term, they realise they have no remit or ability to drive long term change and walk away. Omishambles.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
It’s been widely reported that Fletcher is in on the next manager appointment plus the fact that he’s a full time role within the club compared to Ralf’s part time advisor role next year.
And where exactly is it reported that we've listened to Fletcher over Rangnick?

Rangnick has already said he thinks ETH should be next manager and it looks like that will be the case, so wtf are you on about? Just seems like a needless stick to beat the club with no basis.

Status
Not open for further replies.