Queen Elizabeth II | 1926-2022 | Rest in Peace

Jamie Carragher: erm, for me, Stevie is the best monarch I've seen

I work with a fully frothing royalist/monarchist.... basically the same shit spouted from them as well.

Calling for journalists to be arrested for asking if its right for the police to arrest people for protesting the monarchy? :lol:

This island is going off a cliff fast. People like that have got me actually considering leaving. There's no hope for a managed decline if the morons are at the wheel and its likely to end up in catastrophe, if its not bad enough as it is.

Train into London (usually quite quiet) is absolutely rammed. You can tell the people who are just travelling in to look at some old lady’s coffin the fecking weirdos.

Calling for journalists to be arrested for asking if its right for the police to arrest people for protesting the monarchy? :lol:

This island is going off a cliff fast. People like that have got me actually considering leaving. There's no hope for a managed decline if the morons are at the wheel and its likely to end up in catastrophe, if its not bad enough as it is.
It would all be a joke if it didn't fall into a time where the police powers are rewritten, one extremist home secretary is replaced by a more extreme version of herself, and the UK is leaving international conventions as to how to treat it's population.

All in all it's a suprisingly fast descent into authoritarianism post brexit.

It would all be a joke if it didn't fall into a time where the police powers are rewritten, one extremist home secretary is replaced by a more extreme version of herself, and the UK is leaving international conventions as to how to treat it's population.

All in all it's a suprisingly fast descent into authoritarianism post brexit.

Seriously, listening to the radio yesterday the number of current and former police officers who called in to defend their colleagues.

Some going down the 'protective arrest' route others saying that it's an arrest to investigate if an offence has been committed.. As if an arrest isn't a punishment for expressing yourself, which prevents the speech and also chills others in society from expressing non-majority opinion. But they know that really, they just like fecking with people.

The man’s mother died a handful of days previously and he’s been non stop travelling and taking part in other ceremonial nonsenses. His head must be all over the place.

The real issue is as you then start with this being made public. His reaction is understandable in his situation.
How do you explain his bad behaviour before his mother died or he had to do some travelling?

The man’s mother died a handful of days previously and he’s been non stop travelling and taking part in other ceremonial nonsenses. His head must be all over the place.

The real issue is as you then start with this being made public. His reaction is understandable in his situation.

He's 74 years old and his mother was 96. He's had plenty of time to come to terms with the idea his mother will die. I can't tell whether these comments are sarcastic or not any more. My dad died at the age of about 60 when I was 18 and I cracked on without looking like an entitled mental case.

That said, the tweeted video is hardly a disproportionate reaction to a pen leaking all over you though. It's well annoying.

A young person ascending the throne and serving for many decades is just not gonna happen again is it? Given the overall life expectancy, as well as the healthcare available to the royal family, the heir apparent will almost always get to a high age before taking over.

It's a pretty fundamental problem for the popularity of the Monarchy, I would think. How is any young person supposed to be remotely excited about another geriatric taking over? It would take an untimely death to inject any kind of life into the institution.

Seriously, listening to the radio yesterday the number of current and former police officers who called in to defend their colleagues.

Some going down the 'protective arrest' route others saying that it's an arrest to investigate if an offence has been committed.. As if an arrest isn't a punishment for expressing yourself, which prevents the speech and also chills others in society from expressing non-majority opinion. But they know that really, they just like fecking with people.
This sort of behaviour from Police is the reason why Churchill instructed his "Special units" in the war that, in the event of invasion taking place, their first task was to kill off the local policemen. He knew that Policemen would have lots of local knowledge but would also unflinchingly follow the order of any regional administrators put in place by a Nazi puppet regime.

That's one of the big things I've noticed when comparing the UK police and Irish Police. Since Thatcher especially, the UK police have become a political tool, used to enforce political ideologies on things like race relations, social justice and now increasingly the sort of Culture war agenda the radical right is trying to exploit.

I think the UK has reached a tipping point towards facism and I'm not confident it can find it's way back.

Give the guy a bit of slack. His mother just died and he's now an orphan.

This sort of behaviour from Police is the reason why Churchill instructed his "Special units" in the war that, in the event of invasion taking place, their first task was to kill off the local policemen. He knew that Policemen would have lots of local knowledge but would also unflinchingly follow the order of any regional administrators put in place by a Nazi puppet regime.

That's one of the big things I've noticed when comparing the UK police and Irish Police. Since Thatcher especially, the UK police have become a political tool, used to enforce political ideologies on things like race relations, social justice and now increasingly the sort of Culture war agenda the radical right is trying to exploit.

I think the UK has reached a tipping point towards facism and I'm not confident it can find it's way back.

I hadn't ever heard that.

That's some Alexander the Great level shit.

He's 74 years old and his mother was 96. He's had plenty of time to come to terms with the idea his mother will die. I can't tell whether these comments are sarcastic or not any more. My dad died at the age of about 60 when I was 18 and I cracked on without looking like an entitled mental case.

That said, the tweeted video is hardly a disproportionate reaction to a pen leaking all over you though. It's well annoying.
I do not think it really matters. I knew that my father was gonna die (though he was just mid-seventies) cause of terminal cancer (actually wrote a lot in cancer thread on Caf back then), but it didn't get easier when he died, despite knowing it.

There is also the fact that he had to do all the useless royal duties and likely couldn't get much sleep. He probably has health problems himself.

Saying that, feck the monarchy. Absurd that it still exists at 2022.

Believe me, death hits harder the older you are. It feels a lot more personal when your number is also nearly up.

Believe me, death hits harder the older you are. It feels a lot more personal when your number is also nearly up.

Fair enough, I suppose. Personally I have come to terms with everyone's mortality and I'm more affected by a life cut short than a life well lived.

Fair enough, I suppose. Personally I have come to terms with everyone's mortality and I'm more affected by a life cut short than a life well lived.

For sure. A 96 year old’s death shouldn’t ever be seen as much of a tragedy. I just don’t think it’s fair to belittle the grief of her son, just because the two of them are elderly.

I can imagine him reacting a certain way, but everything he is doing now is recorded and distributed. His tiny table on the day after is already a meme.

As head of state and monarch I think everything he does will be scrutinised, but you can make the point the staff should check the pen beforehand too.

Obviously yes he has just lost his mother but he must know its televised. Personally I think they should only show the funeral and the Coronation. All these intermediary ceremonies shouldn't be shared or streamed.

I can't imagine what his mental health must be like, when I lost my dad it took around a year, he has no period to grieve whatsoever.
I totally agree. Losing a parent leaves a massive hole that can only be healed by time.

:lol: Im laughing at the comments where people are saying he has had enough time to get to grips with his mum dying. Unlike the norm, he wasnt distant from her and didnt just throw her into an old peoples home to get rid of her. He was very close to her and is devastated, as anyone would be, regardless of age.

Some of you will throw your parents, or get thrown, into an old peoples home and thats okay, you'll cope better when your mum and dad die, but dont knock another person by saying hes had enough time to come to terms - regardless of royalty or not.

For sure. A 96 year old’s death shouldn’t ever be seen as much of a tragedy. I just don’t think it’s fair to belittle the grief of her son, just because the two of them are elderly.

It’s not my intention to belittle his grief, though I suppose that’s how it came across. I think I take exception to people making excuses for his behaviour as though they know how he is feeling and to be honest even if his head is all over the place it’s no excuse to treat people badly.

That being said I think the optics are a storm in a teacup; privileged man raised to be privileged acting privileged. What do people expect? He’s his mother’s son.

It's still your mum, whatever age she is when she dies. I do have sympathy for that aspect of it all, it's never easy. As someone who lost both parents in my 30s, I always envied those who had decades more time with their folks - but it's still a deep loss.

It’s not my intention to belittle his grief, though I suppose that’s how it came across. I think I take exception to people making excuses for his behaviour as though they know how he is feeling and to be honest even if his head is all over the place it’s no excuse to treat people badly.

That being said I think the optics are a storm in a teacup; privileged man raised to be privileged acting privileged. What do people expect? He’s his mother’s son.

The only storm in a teacup is from people who think a very recently bereaved 70 year old man getting flustered about having to sign paperwork with a leaky pen somehow proves he is a deeply flawed character. Which is absolute nonsense.

There are loads of good reasons to have a pop at him as an individual, and the monarchy in general. This is not one of them. It’s textbook twitter point scoring, mean spirited crap.

I wanted to go to the Southbank tonight to do some work but not sure if it's a good idea with all the queues.