Queen Elizabeth II | 1926-2022 | Rest in Peace

Bit idiotic to bring up that numpty Sinclair, who is a total attention seeker. He had tweets praising the monarchy, he doesn't mean a thing he says.
makes it worse, doesn't it? that he praised them but the slightest deviation resulted in him being suspended.
Yes, there's a kind of big difference in that no-one will drag to to prison if you don't cry because the Queen has died.
but you can be suspended from work and face consequences for suggesting that she and her family were racist, apparently. it's all the more insidious in our example precisely because people don't have to be forced into it. a marvel of modern day public relations and group think.

makes it worse, doesn't it? that he praised them but the slightest deviation resulted in him being suspended.

but you can be suspended from work and face consequences for suggesting that she and her family were racist, apparently. it's all the more insidious in our example precisely because people don't have to be forced into it. a marvel of modern day public relations and group think.
Come on, just admit the stalin/north korea comparisons are ridiculous. You're making yourself look silly.

people are lining up to touch the physical essence of other people the television has told them are better than them. i don't see much of a difference. mass delusion.
Why are you watching then? Turn it off, go for a walk, watch a film, read a book (maybe about N Korea)
yeah, if you don't like it you can leave. nice to see that making a come back.

Ugh, you're unbearable. Yes, modern day Britain really is comparable to North Korea and Stalinist Russia in its slavish devotion to the crown. Have a day off mate.

False equivalence is a @neverdie favourite. This current tidal wave of obsequious genuflection is still a bit much though.

With her passing, I can’t help but shed a tear or two in her memory. I will never forget all the things she did for me and this country. Like that time she did that thing that made my life better. Or that time she did that other thing that benefited me. Or even that time she did that thing and it helped me in life.

This current tidal wave of obsequious genuflection is still a bit much though.
hardly false, then, is it? maybe in the sense that the russian people might have had a legitimate fear of reprisal whereas the british people have "freely" decided that other people of flesh and bone are somehow magical enough to necessitate waiting in line all day to possibly touch.

i'm not a royalist, but anyone saying the people who wait in line all day to touch a royal aren't either insane or possess false consciousness...

do you lot mind? some of us are trying to have a serious discussion about the royal family in here.

With her passing, I can’t help but shed a tear or two in her memory. I will never forget all the things she did for me and this country. Like that time she did that thing that made my life better. Or that time she did that other thing that benefited me. Or even that time she did that thing and it helped me in life.

Tell me about it. I was feeling a bit miserable earlier and then suddenly remembered all the things the queen has done to improve my life, the way she was always there to help. I went straight out and ran a marathon. Barefoot.

There's absolutely no way that 95% of workplaces care about what people say about the Queen. There are some people that do, and that's fine for them but for the majority will read the news, talk about it for a couple of hours and just carry on like not much has happened. It's just a bit different from North Korea!

There's absolutely no way that 95% of workplaces care about what people say about the Queen. There are some people that do, and that's fine for them but for the majority will read the news, talk about it for a couple of hours and just carry on like not much has happened. It's just a bit different from North Korea!
the bbc definitely does and that's supposed to reflect "balance" which would presumably include the one third of people who are republican but whose views are nowhere to be seen despite paying the license fee.

yeah, if you don't like it you can leave. nice to see that making a come back.
Trying to look cool and turning it around on others. Nice to see that making a comeback…. not :rolleyes:

Suggesting someone doesn’t watch something they don’t agree with isn’t a bad thing. Unless you make it one.

I don’t care if people are pro or anti the monarchy and there’s plenty of people on here who are against them and made reasoned posts as to why… you’re not one of them. You’re trying too hard to look edgy and failing by miles.

Tell me about it. I was feeling a bit miserable earlier and then suddenly remembered all the things the queen has done to improve my life, the way she was always there to help. I went straight out and ran a marathon.

i’ve always lived around windsor and i’ve had a few run ins with the royals. i remember a time i was walking outside the walls of windsor castle on a night out. i’d just stumbled out of wetherspoons and was heading down towards the riverside when i head a shout of “oi, oi, you’ve got something on the bottom of your foot, mate!” i lifted my heel, whilst keeping the ball of my foot on the floor, looked back over my shoulder and down onto my shoe. i nearly jumped out of my skin when i heard a shout of “oooooo cooey, you big poofter.” and looked up to see the queen laughing like a drain and closing one of the windows in the castle before gesturing towards me with the international symbol for wanker.

You do see the difference between the rule of a despot that oversaw one of the most violent and deadly regimes in recent political history and an apolitical figurehead, right? Please tell me you can tell the difference...
yes, but i don't agree that stalin was an apolitical figurehead.

lol

the bbc definitely does and that's supposed to reflect "balance" which would presumably include the one third of people who are republican but whose views are nowhere to be seen despite paying the license fee.

That's not where most people work though. Obviously, there's are some people who would be upset (as there are for any celebrity death), but the general population will just carry on as usual and there are zero repercussions for the majority of us who will do that.

I don’t care if people are pro or anti the monarchy and there’s plenty of people on here who are against them and made reasoned posts as to why… you’re not one of them. You’re trying too hard to look edgy and failing by miles.
people being irritated by fairly logical suggestions tells me i'm probably correct. a sign of cognitive dissonance because you all agree in principle but don't like making comparisons.

I remain anti-monarchist but I've come to the conclusion it doesn't really matter, living in Scotland anyway. If we had a President, England will have voted in President BoJo in no time at all, him or someone of his ilk. Its just swapping one Tory Head of State we didn't vote for with another.

what happens to the corgis now? will they just be humanely destroyed or walled in to her tomb alive, egyptian style?

hardly false, then, is it? maybe in the sense that the russian people might have had a legitimate fear of reprisal whereas the british people have "freely" decided that other people of flesh and bone are somehow magical enough to necessitate waiting in line all day to possibly touch.

i'm not a royalist, but anyone saying the people who wait in line all day to touch a royal aren't either insane or possess false consciousness...

Of course it's false. On the one hand it's like 3 days every year and a whole week every time a big 'un snuffs it. In the other places you mentioned it is/was a daily demand under the threat of the gulag. I'm not a royalist either, but there is a large difference between fawning affection for some powerless toffs and terrified servility to some all powerful autocrat. To your last point - people wait in line to touch Jonny Depp and pay $30,000 to buy a jar of some lady's farts. Wacky hero worship seems to be a common feature of humanity whether Royalty exists or not.

i’ve always lived around windsor and i’ve had a few run ins with the royals. i remember a time i was walking outside the walls of windsor castle on a night out. i’d just stumbled out of wetherspoons and was heading down towards the riverside when i head a shout of “oi, oi, you’ve got something on the bottom of your foot, mate!” i lifted my heel, whilst keeping the ball of my foot on the floor, looked back over my shoulder and down onto my shoe. i nearly jumped out of my skin when i heard a shout of “oooooo cooey, you big poofter.” and looked up to see the queen laughing like a drain and closing one of the windows in the castle before gesturing towards me with the international symbol for wanker.

:lol: They know all the old tricks don't they

I remain anti-monarchist but I've come to the conclusion it doesn't really matter, living in Scotland anyway. If we had a President, England will have voted in President BoJo in no time at all, him or someone of his ilk. Its just swapping one Tory Head of State we didn't vote for with another.

if it’s any consolation, it wouldn’t take long for a scottish ruling class to dick you over just as much any way.

people being irritated by fairly logical suggestions tells me i'm probably correct. a sign of cognitive dissonance because you all agree in principle but don't like making comparisons.
Well I tell you what.

You make a logical (and rational) post and we’ll let you know ok?

(** Tip. North Korea comparisons are excluded)

what happens to the corgis now? will they just be humanely destroyed or walled in to her tomb alive, egyptian style?
5836.jpg

over a week of mourning and a complete shutout of republican sentiment. the bbc is running the kind of propaganda that pushes people to line up to see superior bloodlines in the first instance. i don't think anyone would disagree with that, even if you want to leave the russian and north korean examples aside.

The one thing I'm struggling (might be a bit strong) is that these people have lost a mother, grandmother, great grandmother and they haven't had a minute to greive.