Protests following the killing of George Floyd

fergieisold

And it is. On these protests you should be talking to people around you about the issues they are protesting about, rather than focusing solely on the problems that come with these protests.

Again I'm not saying go out and protest, rather make a point of ensuring you are having the discussions with people about what is currently wrong with the world, and ways each and every person can make small changes that have a big impact.

I agree, and in my own personal group I'd say pretty much every issue you've mentioned has been discussed along with the rights and wrongs as we see them. As I said above, it's not whole about protesting, but educating yourself and others around you on the subjects helps the world to progress.

Take climate change for instance, it probably won't affect me in my lifetime. However, you best believe I'd bring my kids up with a view of protecting the environment. I encourage family members to recycle and try to make small changes to my own life to help tackle the problem.
I have done both personally. I’ve both talked to my friends about issues of racism and hammered the protestors for their actions. You can do both.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I have done both personally. I’ve both talked to my friends about issues of racism and hammered the protestors for their actions. You can do both.
But you're hammering people for putting their own lives at risk for a cause they believe in. Unless you meant the rioters/looters which I can understand (although don't agree with)

van der star

newprawn warrior
Scout
Yeah? Did you tell your friends how black people really love to moan about white people? Kudos to you, mate.

fergieisold

But you're hammering people for putting their own lives at risk for a cause they believe in. Unless you meant the rioters/looters which I can understand (although don't agree with)
They are

Yeah? Did you tell your friends how black people really love to moan about white people? Kudos to you, mate.
it was a tongue in cheek reply to his racist posts about white people.

PepsiCola

Can I say that I have always responded in against racism always in my private life, but I do not actually want to take a 6 hour train to Copenhagen amidst a Co-vid epidemic, while I have a severe chronic illness, and participate in a anti-racism protest? Just like I don't care for white people stereotyping black people, I don't like it the to other way around either.
Again. It's not just protesting.

Challenge racist views around you and inherent in the worlds institutions.

It sounds like thats what you do, so keep up the good work :)

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I agree, it's a nuanced cost/benefit argument. I'm in favour of the protests because I don't see the situation changing for a long time and suspending the right of assembly indefinitely is as dangerous for a society as most other things. If there were a definite time limit or a certainty of vaccination I'd say wait, but there isn't and might never be.
Nobody is suggesting to suspend the right of assembly. Never mind doing so indefinitely. It would be helpful if the protestors at least acknowledged that we’re in an extremely delicately poised moment in this pandemic. Countries trying to walk a tightrope as they ease off a lockdown that has decimated the economy.

By all means get out there and protest but there comes a point at which thronging the streets, day after day after day, is being downright reckless with the health and livelihoods of other people. And we all know that the people this virus is killing the most are the same people these protests are on behalf of. Which is fecked up

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Empathy is hard trait to teach adults. Real racists aren't ignorant they just plain assholes.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
No, I mean as a consequence of all the property damage. Despite the pandemic and ongoing rioting, the stock market is unchanged from before they broke out. Makes no sense.
Didn't fox news picture earlier imply that the stock market is doing well throughout protests? Think it went up 3.4% so far.
You'll probably get much better answers in the investment thread as most of us here are either trying to stir up shit by writing racist stuff and desperately appear as if we don't know why people react or react to racist shit.

With a few people genuinely offering differing views without those views being dogturds of course.

PepsiCola

what a ridiculous perspective.

essentially you are staying that unless you are taking action against any injustice that you are aware of then you are complicit.

without taking this off topic, you are aware of things like human trafficking, peodo rings, people dealing drugs round the corner from where you live, white collar/ blue collar corruption, tax evasion, racism etc etc.

if you are silent about any of these, then you are complicit in the continued exploitation?

Utter drivel mate.
Why is it so hard to be anti-racist?

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
No, I mean as a consequence of all the property damage. Despite the pandemic and ongoing rioting, the stock market is unchanged from before they broke out. Makes no sense.
According to Fox News, shares always jump the week after race riots.

Cloud7

This is the thread that keeps on giving.
It's crazy isn't it? It's like the thread version of 'give them enough rope'. It's like, little by little, the protests go on longer and longer, and the conversations about racism go on for longer and longer, and people just end up outing themselves and what they really think because it's gone on too long for them to keep up the facade. Every 15 pages or so we find ourselves with a new person showing themselves up for what they really are.

Gehrman

Why is it so hard to be anti-racist?
There is many ways to be anti-racist. Like not voting for non-racist parties and politicians. If you live in a democratic country that is.

fergieisold

Before now the only things I associated BLM UK with were blocking ambulances on motorways and shutting down student libraries.

And the 'mass protests amid a pandemic for a virus that hits black people the hardest' strategy isn't doing much to change my general view of their approach to things.
Nice to see you aren’t silent on the matter. ;)

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Wrong thread for it but the markets have been devoid of reality for a while

Gehrman

Despite the fact that my father had english parents, he was born and raised in China. Doesn't that technically make me half-chinese despite having no asian genetics?

Gehrman

Here's the thing about being racist ironically: you're still being racist.
Can i just say that I don't feel racist because I don't do or say excatly what a non-white person over the internet wants me to do?