Premier League Gameweek 9

How does Braithwaite not get in this team? Our previous owners would have happily paid £70M for the future Beckenbauer yet he is bench warming!
They will definitely regret their greed when he ends up going for about £20m in a few years.

Dyche and Erik seem to just keep pulling results out the bag, enough to keep themselves save. Its tremendously frustrating.

I agree, the fact a 38 year old Vardy and Chris Wood are near the top of the scoring charts says a lot. There was a time when you could name 10 world class strikers in the league. Its not that anymore

I completely agree with Sturridge’s point from last week’s discussion after the Liverpool vs. Chelsea game. He explained how the game has shifted, with wide forwards now becoming the primary goal threats. Instead of wingers looking to get to the byline and cross for a central striker, we’re seeing more players cutting inside to shoot or link up with the striker. This shift has also given rise to more complete strikers—those who contribute more to build-up play than classic goal poachers of the past, though they may not be as prolific.

Of course, much of this depends on a team’s style. Last season, we stil had players like Haaland, Isak, Watkins, Mateta, and Solanke—all traditional strikers—made the top scorers' list, but half of the top 10 were filled by wide forwards or wingers.

Back in the day, this trend was rare, if it existed at all. Today, the evolution of the game has brought us more world-class wide forwards than traditional strikers, which speaks volumes about how the roles and demands of attacking players have transformed.

Then it doesn't always bite you in the arse, hasn't done for 5 games in a row and your post was bollocks.
Not really because we haven't set up to not lose in some of those games. A last minute Beto goal which has nothing to do with Dyche salvaging a draw doesn't change that. Fulham should have put the game to bed before that. They lost points, we didn't gain one. It bit us in the arse because we were never in contention for winning the game.

Fulham should be so much higher than they are. They concede late goals too often.

Could have been looking at 17 points by now had they seen out games vs United, West Ham and Everton.

Not really because we haven't set up to not lose in some of those games. A last minute Beto goal which has nothing to do with Dyche salvaging a draw doesn't change that. Fulham should have put the game to bed before that. They lost points, we didn't gain one. It bit us in the arse because we were never in contention for winning the game.
I've criticised him a lot but I think you look relatively safe and that should be enough for the time being. I wouldn't go looking for problems. I get it being a chore to watch most weeks too though.

I've criticised him a lot but I think you look relatively safe and that should be enough for the time being. I wouldn't go looking for problems. I get it being a chore to watch most weeks too though.
It's not looking for problems, it's just being honest about Dyche as a manager. I've said it before, I think he will do enough to keep us up but I don't think he's a manager who can take the club forward.

If people had to watch us every week perhaps they'd understand.

Maybe I’m misremembering, but I seem to remember welbeck already being fairly injury prone. He’d had his issues at least.

Agree that Welbeck had the advantage of pace, but he was usually played out wide anyway. We had Hernandez offering pace through the middle, but Van Gaal in his wisdom sent him out on loan.

That’s another story though - his awful recruitment. I actually think he set us back more than Moyes did. He decided to ship out Hernandez, Jonny Evans, Welbeck, Rafael - all of whom had won titles with us - to sign the likes of Rojo and Darmian.
He also sold nani he basically took all the pace out of our attack

It's not looking for problems, it's just being honest about Dyche as a manager. I've said it before, I think he will do enough to keep us up but I don't think he's a manager who can take the club forward.

If people had to watch us every week perhaps they'd understand.
Well i agree about taking the club forward and surviving this season isn't much of a bar to clear. But then i look at glasner at crystal palace and how its just not working for them at the moment and how unforgiving the league is in that situation.
I definitely wouldn't keep him beyond this season

Well i agree about taking the club forward and surviving this season isn't much of a bar to clear. But then i look at glasner at crystal palace and how its just not working for them at the moment and how unforgiving the league is in that situation.
I definitely wouldn't keep him beyond this season
For sure. Similarly West Ham are perhaps seeing the grass isn't greener post Moyes. I think if Friedkin does come in though the overall club should be in a more stable place so a new manager should be able to take us forward in the way we are hoping for.

For sure. Similarly West Ham are perhaps seeing the grass isn't greener post Moyes. I think if Friedkin does come in though the overall club should be in a more stable place so a new manager should be able to take us forward in the way we are hoping for.
He's probably not a bad caretaker in the mean time. I wouldn't expect much in the way of heights but i wouldn't expect the depths to be too bad either.

Will Southampton get less than Derby's 11 points from 08/09?

Look like they're in with a shout of that unwanted record. Played both of the teams who they came up with too, both at home and only the 1 point.

Fulham should be so much higher than they are. They concede late goals too often.

Could have been looking at 17 points by now had they seen out games vs United, West Ham and Everton.

Strange they did a double sub in the 93rd minute, should've just let the backline see it out rather than adding more defenders to the mix to defend crosses as they all were standing centrally instead of one by Young.

I completely agree with Sturridge’s point from last week’s discussion after the Liverpool vs. Chelsea game. He explained how the game has shifted, with wide forwards now becoming the primary goal threats. Instead of wingers looking to get to the byline and cross for a central striker, we’re seeing more players cutting inside to shoot or link up with the striker. This shift has also given rise to more complete strikers—those who contribute more to build-up play than classic goal poachers of the past, though they may not be as prolific.

Of course, much of this depends on a team’s style. Last season, we stil had players like Haaland, Isak, Watkins, Mateta, and Solanke—all traditional strikers—made the top scorers' list, but half of the top 10 were filled by wide forwards or wingers.

Back in the day, this trend was rare, if it existed at all. Today, the evolution of the game has brought us more world-class wide forwards than traditional strikers, which speaks volumes about how the roles and demands of attacking players have transformed.

I agree with Sturridge but thats not new news and he has just echoed that opinion which a lot of journalists and ex players have been saying. Common opinion is it’s because of Messi and Ronaldo. Kids now all want to play that position and academy’s all coach that way with emphasis on trying to be Barcelona 2011. But you could questions. How many elite inside forwards do we have . Saka, Salah, Son ? Mbeumo is potentially is getting there and will get a move soon.

Palmer and Foden both 10s. I think the overall quality is poor atm. Highlights how bad our team and manager are performing. The league has definitely dipped last few seasons. Liverpool are top and aren’t even playing that well. I also think that Villa side is one of the most bang average teams to make top4. No offence Villa fans , but a Ten Hags United beat then home and away last season. If us and Chelsea weren’t being mis managed not a chance they get top 4. They might even get in again.

Last edited:
Kind of off topic... but not sure where to post this.

But after watching Wolves couple of times this season and last, I really wish we bought Cunha instead of Zirksee. He's a much better version of what Zirksee is supposed to be, imo. Great technical player, knows how to keep the ball, great dribbler, a good passer and last but not least a better scorer.

Don't understand why there isn't an early kick off today, even the championship game is 3pm FFS.
Ye they should have put a game on at 12, 2 and then 4:30. Could have had 3 live Pl games today. Usually our games against West Ham are normally shown on sky. Doesn’t help that Europa league/conference play a part in fixtures and timings.