PL W FA Premier League

Southampton 0:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 14 September 2024

Wow, just 4 pages after a 3-0 away win. Where's all the haters?

86% of the CAF want ETH sacked. So they're not happy about today at all. But doubtless this isn't the end of that conversation.

We looked a lot better once they stopped pressing in the second half, I still think we struggle in playing out of pressure without becoming too open on the counter.

Convincing win, need a lot more.

The worrying thing is Maz is injured, De Ligt hobbled off injured, Maguire hobbled during the game and Martinez pulled up with some sort of injury.
according to the commentary, deLigt had cramp - nothing serious

Early kick off after the International break, and away from home in the PL, we win 3 nil. How can you not be satisfied with that. Very good result for us right now.

Was worried up until the penalty that it was going to be another one of those days, but that save lifted us and we played quite well after that.

Nice set up for the De Ligt goal, Rashford's finish was nice and nice play for the Garnacho goal.

Apart from Dalot who had a bit of a mare especially first half, but looked better on the right in the second. I thought everyone else played quite well overall, especially De Ligt who I thought was brilliant.

Absolutely rubbish first half hour but good after that. Killed the game, kept the ball a lot better. We’ll struggle to play a team this bad this season mind.

Solid performance, once we got going. Not sure we'd have turned it around so easily if that pen had gone in but that's another story. Comfy in the end, contained Soton (they did not really look like scoring except for the new kid's shot) and we found the net three times, I'll take that anyday.

We should have scored more and I dont know when the last time I said that was. We should have won 8 0!

The first 25 to 30 mins was rocky, the penalty changed the game. Unlike last season, we capitalised, didn't fall apart. I was very impressed with the second half, only one goal at the end but we took control and didn't give them a sniff. We need to master this more.

All in all, a good day in the office.

Good result and something to build on, but the first 25 minutes were poor against a very weak side.
Hope Ugarte makes a difference once he starts, and that we don’t have bad injuries.
Good to see the Scouse losing too.

Was worried up until the penalty that it was going to be another one of those days, but that save lifted us and we played quite well after that.

Nice set up for the De Ligt goal, Rashford's finish was nice and nice play for the Garnacho goal.

Apart from Dalot who had a bit of a mare especially first half, but looked better on the right in the second. I thought everyone else played quite well overall, especially De Ligt who I thought was brilliant.
Got to hand it to Onana, that’s one thing DDG never had in his locker, great as he was.

Wonder how many voted to keep ETH after the Southampton win. Fans are fickle. Until we beat better opposition consistently my vote remains the same - a managerial change is needed.

Good away win. When you go away to any team in the league, the standard is that high that you should expect some early pressure. They absolutely came at us and despite it being a bit rocky, we held on and then dominated the game.

Brilliant performance by De Ligt and shout outs to Amad, Zirkzee and Eriksen. I love Mazraoui on the right as a steady Eddie 7 out of 10 every game. We should swap him and Dalot over because Dalot is and was miles better on the right (as seen in this game) and I wonder how much Mazraoui’s level would drop on the left? Probably not as much.

Looking forward to seeing Ugarte mid weeks and hopefully Rashford can build on his goal now.

Comfortable win. But once again, despite the win, I can’t help but think ETH Starting 11 could have cost us the game. We dominate the midfield, especially the first half, playing erikson instead of Ugarte really wasn’t too smart imo and if they score that penalty it could easily be a different story.

But what I like. This performance, especially the 2nd half pretty much everyone was a 7/10, with De Ligt and Amad the stand out performers. Not seen that for a long time.

Don't want to be a wet blanket but Southampton are awful - let’s see if they get 20-25 points come season end. Dangerous to extrapolate too much from the game ie like the 6-2 result v Leeds (admittedly a home game two years ago where Mctominay was prime Kaka).

De Ligt a tower of strength and unlike Macguire directs his attacking headers to the corner.

Amad a wide play maker who is the perfect foil for an attacking full back or CF given great weight of pass.

Zirkzee a great focal point and alternative creator to Bruno.

Boosts for Onano, De Ligt, Rashford. Everybody who needed a boost got one. What's not to love?

With United these days, I’m just happy for a win.

The performance is so irrelevant now. We can play rubbish today and then win impressively the next game against a top team, or we can deservedly beat City today and back to rubbish against Accrington Stanley tomorrow.

I'm not sure beating Southampton means much. Everyone expects it - even those who see us as midtable junk. Its not really going to change anyone's mind one way or another. We need to string a few wins together before your going to get much optimism. Barnsley and BATE will be the same, they're banana skins to be avoided. Beat Palace away and / or Spurs and people might start to get enthusiastic.

Random but can the match going fans drop the JS Park Chant. It really has no place in our repertoire. He’s also asked nicely.

Rewatching the game and I just heard the chant around the 58 min mark.

Reactions: 711
86% of the CAF want ETH sacked. So they're not happy about today at all. But doubtless this isn't the end of that conversation.
I want him gone but im buzzing we won (?) i imagine that’s the same for the 86%

I want him gone but im buzzing we won (?) i imagine that’s the same for the 86%
I agree sir however if he can use this as a new foundation, he could win us fans over. I'd much prefer he turn this around than sacking him but if inconsistency prevails, he has to go.

I'll be hoping he wins every game to prove us all wrong.

One of the best 2nd half performances we’ll probably see all season. Dominated and I don’t think they even had a shot that half did they? Much needed 3 points and always good to get a clean sheet and score a few goals.

Weird conclusion.

86% want him sacked because we like wins, and we don’t get them as often as we like under Ten Hag. We enjoy wins very much, and think we’d get more wins under someone else. It’s the Ten Hag supporters who seem ok with losing so much.

I want to watch more United now! Guess the NDL with lots of red cards and goals will have to do today.

A lot of people are gutted we won to be fair!

It’s not a case of being gutted it’s more the agony of Ten Hag being in charge is prolonged.

He’s going to be sacked before the season finishes. An away win against a poor promoted team doesn’t change that. We could have easily been losing with the performance in the 1st half and their penalty miss. Had we gone 1-0 down I would have no faith we would turn the result around.

Ten Hag is making me switch off wanting to watch United. The only manager who’s done that before was Van Gaal. That says everything to me that the manager isn’t right and there will be plenty of United fans thinking the same.

You can tell what the problem is.

There are no leaders on the pitch. There is a lot of talent. But no leaders. Bruno is very very flaky. He can score or assist but his overall involvement in the play is not consistent. I hope players like zirkzee and Hojlund take the load of him in games. When bruno gets the ball over and over again, the chances of him screwing up the most simple things is high.

Rashford is really a problem. How long can we ignore it? He cannot score, can't beat his man. He really things dribbling fast can get him to beat his man, but defenders literally stick their foot out and get the ball.

We have a strong defense. That is a good start. We can build only if we are consistent at the back. Yoro, De lit, and Licha are going to be crucial for us this season. We cannot afford major injuries at the back.

Positives:
Rashford who didn’t deserve to play scored so hopefully he’ll show us he can still be force.
De Ligt and Martinez were both absolutely brilliant.
Bruno didn’t have a good game but at least he got an assist.
Zirkzee linked up excellently and looked dangerous goals will come.
Amad was excellent.
So was Gernacho in his short appearance.
Great save twice from Onana. Maybe a better defence will help his confidence.

Worries:
Mainoo is struggling a bit as is Dalot.
We should have scored a good few more, we kept trying to walk it in.
Dalot was all over the place on a few occasions.

Last edited:
Early kick off after the International break, and away from home in the PL, we win 3 nil. How can you not be satisfied with that. Very good result for us right now.
Exactly. Even the great Fergie teams use to struggle after the international breaks. City and Liverpool were very poor yesterday too. It was a great Victory.

Not sure whether that's a sign of good things to come for us or not.

I felt as though Southampton were a replica of us last season, threw absolutely everything into the first half hour, didn't score then we went up the other end with a rare attack and scored. That turned the game and they had nothing in the tank for the second half due to the effort put into the first 30.

We managed the game relatively well and I'm pleased with the result. I thought but were a bit passive in the second half, it was fine though as they didn't offer anything at all.

Positives:
Rashford who didn’t deserve to play scored so hopefully he’ll show us he can still be force.
De Ligt and Martinez were both absolutely brilliant.
Bruno didn’t have a good game but at least he got an assist.
Zirkzee linked up excellently and looked dangerous goals will come.
Amad was excellent.
So was Gernacho in his short appearance.
Great save twice from Onana. Maybe a better defence will help his confidence.

Worries:
Mainoo is struggling a bit as is Diallo.
We should have scored a good few more, we kept trying to walk it in.
Dalot was all over the place on a few occasions.
So is he struggling or excellent?

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 284 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Southampton 0:2 Man Utd