PL W FA Premier League

Southampton 0:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 14 September 2024

Excellent result with an acceptable performance, terrible start but the momentum swing came when a peno was saved, aided by the oppo being quite shit offensively and defensively, deserved win nonetheless and a starting point to gather momentum.

Ugarte coming in the 2nd half was expected and I can see him being Mainoo's partner, some folks on here thought he won't start for months because he isn't EtH signing.

Get in there.

All over the place until the penalty and great double save from Onana. After that and the goals it was thankfully straight forward.

De Ligt was fantastic. Hopefully Rashford will start getting his mojo back now.

Zirkzees link up play was brilliant.
It was a game you wish you have arrived late for 20min or so, and would be very enjoyable. Horrible start, it could have been Liverpool again.

Result good but against 10 men we should have gone for it. Still a sloppy performance overall. Still no style of play and still too many pass backs. Can’t put my finger on it as no one was below average overall, and some 7/10 performances

We’re getting a lot of stupid yellow cards like Mainoo, Maguire and Fernandez. Got to reign in the stupidity when you know the rules.

We were better in the second half and had more control. Dalot was ok in the second half but still our worst player overall. Onana’s penalty save was the turning point. Good performances from De Ligt, Martinez, Rashford, Zirkzee and Amad.

We can’t afford to start games that slow anymore otherwise it’ll cost us against Tottenham and Villa.

A comfortable win in the end, could of been 4 or 5 but a 3-0 is a wonderful result to start the weekend.

Zero to moan about...seeya Tuesday! :devil:

We’re getting a lot of stupid yellow cards like Mainoo, Maguire and Fernandez. Got to reign in the stupidity when you know the rules.

We were better in the second half and had more control. Dalot was ok in the second half but still our worst player overall. Onana’s penalty save was the turning point. Good performances from De Ligt, Martinez, Rashford, Zirkzee and Amad.

We can’t afford to start games that slow anymore otherwise it’ll cost us against Tottenham and Villa.
Felt like the Rice precedent was implemented in this game to prove something. :lol:

It’ll stop by next weekend.

Shaky first 30. Some encouraging signs though and great switches of play which not seen enough of. Really like Zirkzee on the ball but not convinced he’s a killer, and that’s what we need. A much better result than anticipated, so can’t groan too much.

Is all anyone going to say when they mention Zirkzee is 'link up play', it's winding me up already. Needs to be more of a killer, has such a languid style and I want to see more aggression/anger in his game.

On a team note need to be nastier, at 2-0 with Southampton down to 10 men we just seemed happy to pass it round with no urgency - it creates bad habbits. If there is a chance to score 5 or 6 go and do it, be ruthless. I want my striker angry he didn't score today like Ruud or Ronaldo would have been, I am not sure if you can develop this but if Zirkzee can then there is a player in there for sure and more than just a 'link up' merchant.

Garnacho made it 3-0 and he seems desperate to score/assist impact the game and has that urgency right to the end, we need more like this- the top teams do it and have players that aren't happy until they make an impact on the game.

Awful start awful 30 mins, the pen save which was a poor pen.
DL was what we've been lacking from A CB, Eriksen surprisingly I thought done well.
Good goals imo should have been more.
After the 2 goals up it was a comfy win .
Not going to play Southampton every week though. Get that CM partnership sorted we will be a lot better.
But how the narrative changes on pundits etc etc, you have the same old nonsense now before a ball has been kicked. 3pts next a toughie away

I gave Onana man of the match today because he made such an important contribution at 0-0, but have to give credit to Zirkzee as well.

Pressing, link up play, hold up play were all excellent. He made a few incisive passes as well today that showed class.

Hopefully he can improve his finishing with the work he's doing with RVN, but the raw ingredients are there.

I cannot recall the last away game we've won so comfortably. Composed performance after the 1st 30mins and I think the Soton manager has done well despite the terrible, terrible individual errors.

Cannot really read much into that given how rubbish Southampton are. Goal difference of 0 after 4 games, which is not great. Hopefully todays injuries are not serious and this is the beginning of a decent run.
The goal difference after 4 games is understandable since we've lost lost two of them, one quite heavily.

I don't think we miss many more chances than most teams but we generally create a lot less chances to score.

Three today was decent but Southampton were poor. Hopefully it'll be a confidence boost for them to go on to score more against better opposition.

If we go through a considerable period of one goal wins mixed with draws (or occasional heavy defeats) then goal difference becomes a problem because you usually have a European place to go for, but a poor goal difference might effectively represent an extra point for the teams competing with you.

After just four games it's hard to tell how we'll end up, 6 goals in four games is not bad, but when we've conceded the same amount of goals in identical results the other way, we'll be in for a very mediocre season again where goal difference won't even matter if it's representative of how our whole season will go.

It was of course only Southampton but when they got the penalty it could have been the same old story but have to admit that ETH got lots right today, helped by some very very good performances (10/10 for both de light and martinez).

Like the co-commentator (lucy something) said: it would have been nice to have gone for the throat but the third goal did finally come and Soton did not have a shot after the penalty - crazy challenge from dalot who was good otherwise.

Good to see we've finally learnt to cut out pull backs and Onana saved the penalty because he didn't go too early.

Take the three points and move on... we aren't going to threaten the likes of City and Arsenal and we should win these sorts of games... for me, the season will be decided in how we do against the likes of Spurs (and Palace away)

Well done! Nice to come home and see we've won!

Weekend rescued!

Excellent result after weathering early pressure. Nice to start the weekends football off in a happy mood. And made even better by seeing the scousers got beat at home?

So does that mean that the sun no longer shines from Arne’s slot this week then?

With Zirkzee I think we’ve found a player whose technique on the ball looks a cut above most in the team.

We’ve got a good talent in our hands, it’s up to the coaching team and manager to make him a killer in terms of finishing. His reflexes and shooting seem a bit slow.

But love how calm, and crisp his overall on the ball play is, Højlund+zirkzee can be a good combo as well.

We grew into the game, controlled it after the first half hour. Glad to see our new signings doing so well. Maz is top notch, De Ligt deserved MOTM and Ugarte just scoops up the ball so easily.

I actually hoped that Casemiro was going to come on and play as an 8 just to see what would happen. He's got a pretty decent pass on him and I keep worrying that he'll get caught out whenever he plays CB. He's done as a 6, it I think him and Ugarte could play well together if Case is in a more advanced role. But I'm not a coach and I'll be the first to say I know feck all.

Anyway, genuinely happy with that match. More of that for the rest of the season, please.
I've been wondering if Casemiro might play quite well in a more advanced role. I do think that as much as he gives the ball away trying to thread risky passes through a packed midfield in the defensive mid role, his vision is great and he does have the ability to execute defence splitting passes. Might be worth a try further forward in some games.

Good result, but performance a bit like the Fulham game. I we keep playing the way we did until the saved penalty, we'll get punished by better opposition, especially in Europe.

Wow, a comfortable win. We don't see many of those in the ETH era.

- Amad is our most skillful player and he's becoming the type of player you want to get lots of touches. He makes good things happen and knows how to keep the ball. He was a little sloppy in the 2nd half but that should improve with experience. I actually think he might be a very good AM someday and I hope we try him there in an easy cup tie.

- Zirkzee is going to be a fan favorite. He's a forward that just makes an offense flow. Could have 3 goals this season.

- Good goal from Rashford but still not a good overall performance.

- Everyone else played pretty well except Dalot had a tough first half.

Ugarte had a good 1st showing and I really hope he is the real deal because we will be a different team with a really good DM.

Rode a bit of luck in the first half, but going in a half time 2-0 up and just killing the game isn't something we've seen a lot off. Second half was a just a training exercise really.

De Ligt was brilliant, aside from 1 dodgy moment in the first half Martinez was good. A solid centre back pairing. Zirkzee has some ice touches, in general play he was tidy and unlucky to miss out on a goal.

Probably could have scored a couple more if they really pushed hard, but seeing the game out and tagging on a late goal is good enough for me. Finishing the game with Evans, Maguire and Casemiro at the back can't be happening, if Southampton weren't so toothless they may have caused them some bother..

Desperately need a left back though, right or left Dalot is a moron and always has a brainfart or two up his sleeve. Would have been a totally different game if Onana didn't save that penalty.

Is all anyone going to say when they mention Zirkzee is 'link up play', it's winding me up already. Needs to be more of a killer, has such a languid style and I want to see more aggression/anger in his game.
We have a plethora of erratic attacking players who make poor choices and rash decisions...it's nice to have one who has a bit of vision and composure

Nothing fancy. We couldn't have asked for a better opponent than Southampton. They scored only one goal in 4 matches, their attacking virtually non-existent. Mediocre performance, with an awesome Amad, poor Rashford and Bruno and even worse Dalot. The rest of the team was okay, nothing special. I wasn't happy with de Ligt though. Despite his goal in defence he made several mistakes.

And honestly... There's literally no development. The third season started and we're still at the point where we should celebrate a win against a poor Southampton? We're stuck in one place. "...and can build something from here.". Oh, I've heard the exact same words 100000 times in the past 2 seasons and still hear it. Is that you, Erik??? And nothing happens.
In the Zirkzee thread:
The guy is totally clueless, a poor excuse of a CF. Exactly what I expected after scoring only 14 goals in 58 matches in Italy. He won't score 10 goals this season. Not that he's gonna get so much chance, after Hojlund's return he's gonna sit back to the bench.
You Ok love?

Thought Zirkzee and Diallo were excellent, and beautiful goal by Rashford. Whole D was good too.

No idea what the announcers in the USA were watching. They made it sounded like we were lucky to win? We could of had 5 or 6 easily. We are so dangerous on a counter.

3-0 away from home, bedding in new players, right after an international break, you'd take that.

Good to see some players as soon as they get a bit of a knock being subbed off for a relative like for like player to limit the risk of further injury.

Poor start, but we took our chances once they missed the penalty.

Zirkzee and Amad look very promising. Amad is the type of winger we need - always ready to have a go. Zirkzee link up was slick but the finishing was wasteful!
Rashford looked off the pace and lazy for long stretches but took the goal well. Hopefully he can kick on now...
Bruno didn't look sharp at all. A lot of wasteful play. Mainoo also gave the ball up in very dangerous positions and while he does have moments of magic he needs to know when it's safe to play a pass through the middle that can launch a counter attack.

Overall good to get a win -- but we need to carry on and build on this!

Reactions: 711
3-0 away from home, bedding in new players, right after an international break, you'd take that.

Good to see some players as soon as they get a bit of a knock being subbed off for a relative like for like player to limit the risk of further injury.

That back 4 at the end though :lol:
Dalot, Maguire, Casemiro, Evans.

Mind-boggling that some media outlets like The Sun Football (wait, I'll retract 'mind-boggling') are questioning the Stephens straight red.

The old, 'hard done by English lad just trying to get the ball' narrative for a knee-high, lunging, studs-up challenge.

Makes you wonder if people want to see players getting hurt with career-ending 'tackles' or something. It's sick.

Last edited:
Mind-boggling that some media outlets like The Sun Football (wait, I'll retract 'mind-boggling') are questioning the Stephens straight red.

The old, 'hard done by English lad just trying to get the ball' narrative for a knee high studs up challenge.

Pathetic.
If it would have been Casemiro...
You know the tabloids would be asking for prison time.

I really hope Southampton stay up. They play with a great attitude, this manager seems a good guy.

Happy that we won but the sceptic in me thinks our horrendous performance in the first 30 mins shows how chaotically organised we can be. I wasn’t too impressed with Dalot too. de Ligt was great. We still look like team finding itself.

Reckon we could win the CL this year.

Good second half, just need to win the next 3-4 games and get on a bit of a run.

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 284 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Southampton 0:2 Man Utd
  • 19% Southampton 1:2 Man Utd