PL W FA Premier League

Southampton 0:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 14 September 2024

Horrendous first 30 minutes but the missed pen swung the confidence for both sides.

Southampton are horrendous defensively.

Amad, Mazraoui and de ligt were very good. Glad we got the third in the end. Bruno was a bit shit I thought. Mainoo was poor at the start but improved.

Defensive injury crisis back on, Mazraoui seems like he hurt something in his quad which is always very tricky, de ligt, Martinez, Maguire all with knocks... We're gonna see Casemiro and Evans as CBs in the next game aren't we :lol:

Hope the subs of Martinez and De Ligt were precautionary.
Big 3 points and the penalty miss seemed to wake us up. From then on we looked so comfortable.
Thought all Zirkzee’s performance was outstanding - only missed the goal.

First half was a mixed bag, some good and bad with the turning point being the saved pen. Second half was comfortable, even more-so after the red and having a serene last 20 felt weird, seems like forever since it's happened.

Didn’t see the first twenty minutes, but after that what I saw we were good after the penalty save from Onana.

- Zirkzee was great and should have scored.
- Amad good as well.
- de Ligt, good
- Rashford getting a goal should hopefully do well for his confidence.
- Ugarte came on and albeit in an easy game looked comfortable.

Dominance after that Onana save, Southampton hadn't a shot on goal after that, United 3 goals and could have been 5 or 6. Comfortable away win in the end.. Hopefully Dé lift, Martinez are fine for the next Premier league league game.

The difference in how we play when Eriksen plays is like day and night. He dictates the game and Bruno creates chances.

Apart from first 20 or so minutes, great composed game.

Zirkzee is a bright spot. He brings purpose in attacks and with his passes. Needs to improve finishing though. But that's okay for now. At least we have someone who is there at right time at right place.

De Ligt, Zirkzee and to a lesser extent Ugarte all looked very good today. Great for Rashford to get his goal, hopefully that helps with his confidence.

Thought Bruno was poor again today overall, his passing is off and none of his little flicks are coming off.

Really happy with that second half. Should've scored more and there is the caveat of playing a team already 2-0 down, but we controlled that half comfortably. De Ligt and Licha were very good together, Amad was fantastic for 90 mins and Zirkzee seemed to be getting better as the game went on. We can only hope we can build on this but for today it's a great win.

Southampton are gonna get seriously slapped about by the real teams is mostly what I got from that. They aren't as good as Burnley at this, and they weren't good enough to keep it going.

1st half was tough but once we got the 2 goal lead we were completely dominant. That 2nd half was what I hope to watch most weeks. Complete control, they didn’t get a sniff at goal and we should have scored a few more. Big credit to Onana, when it was tough for us, his penalty save was crucial to this result.

Much tougher tests for the team going forwards. I imagine Palace will pose a much sterner test.

Worried that Mazraoui and Martinez picked up injuries and will miss time now. That would be absolutely on-brand for us.

Ahh, I can relax for the rest of weekend now! Awful first 30 min but took control after that, and seeing Ugarte for the last 20 min gave me some confidence that we can have some control in there.

Amad looked good (needs to shoot more!) and De Ligt and Martinez forming an understanding (if they can stay injury free) and good to see the front players score. Onwards and hopefully upwards...but doubts remain!

A more respectable score line at the end, for a game like this against poor opposition.
We’ve struggled for goals and we need to start building a healthy, positive goal difference.
The 3 points are important, but points alone, will not be enough, later in the season

That first 30 mins was horrendous, and I think we are still looking slow and ponderous.

Can't deny the control in the second half though, considering how we crumble that was a good display.

Pretty poor up to the penalty after that we had control. Not getting carried away though, that was probably one of the easiest openents we will play against

De Ligt, Zirkzee and to a lesser extent Ugarte all looked very good today. Great for Rashford to get his goal, hopefully that helps with his confidence.

Thought Bruno was poor again today overall, his passing is off and none of his little flicks are coming off.
Agree entirely.

Fernandes seems to lost any awareness of opposition players around him.

Some thoughts:
- Love Mazraoui's many overlaps. When our right wingers are as one footed as Amad and Antony are, it offers a great dynamic, that our fullback over there bombs forward and knows how to do it.

- De Ligt is great and it's starting to show, how it makes sense our keeper is a ball playing one - because now all our defenders can receive it without shitting themselves plus carrying it forward.

- Zirkzee could be great in a constellation behind Højlund, because he's such a great hold up player, but feck me he's unsharp. These last two games he probably has an xG of at least 1.5. Ruud will have to work a lot of overtime the coming weeks.

Ropey first half hour aside... we actually controlled a game of football.

No end to end basketball bullshit with us already up by two goals, just calm possession and picking our spots. Onana could have had his pipe and slippers out for the whole second half. We'll see how long it lasts, but we looked like an honest to god, grown up football team for a while there.

Horrendous first 30 minutes but the missed pen swung the confidence for both sides.

Southampton are horrendous defensively.

Amad, Mazraoui and de ligt were very good. Glad we got the third in the end. Bruno was a bit shit I thought. Mainoo was poor at the start but improved.

Defensive injury crisis back on, Mazraoui seems like he hurt something in his quad which is always very tricky, de ligt, Martinez, Maguire all with knocks... We're gonna see Casemiro and Evans as CBs in the next game aren't we :lol:
De Ligt is fine. Worried for Mazraoui though. He’s been very good so far. Hope Shaw is back soon.

We grew into the game, controlled it after the first half hour. Glad to see our new signings doing so well. Maz is top notch, De Ligt deserved MOTM and Ugarte just scoops up the ball so easily.

I actually hoped that Casemiro was going to come on and play as an 8 just to see what would happen. He's got a pretty decent pass on him and I keep worrying that he'll get caught out whenever he plays CB. He's done as a 6, it I think him and Ugarte could play well together if Case is in a more advanced role. But I'm not a coach and I'll be the first to say I know feck all.

Anyway, genuinely happy with that match. More of that for the rest of the season, please.

First half was similar to a lot of last season. The opposition were the better 'team', but us having better individual players was getting us the result.

Second half we obviously had a lot more confidence while Southampton's heads dropped, so dominated that. Now got to do that against better opposition.

Onana 8 - great saves especially the pen
De Ligt - 9, goal obviously, but more importantly his resilience helped us immensely under pressure in first half, very solid
Licha - 7, good game
Dalot - 7, completely overrun in first half but never gave up, an assist
Mazza - 7, signing of the season. Can’t believe Bayern sold us a player of this caliber for £15m
Eriksen - 8, he made us tick
Mainoo - 7, good game, reliable,
Bruno - 7, got in good positions
Rashford - 8, finally shooting from his favoured position and getting a goal. Seems less overthinking than usual
ZZ - 8, excellent movement, link up play, must improve finishing
Diallo - 9, what a player. Knit us together on the right flank

Showed some actual mental fortitude after their pk miss.
From there on it was a comfortable afternoon, if a little irritating with our lack of cutting edge at times.

Ropey first half hour aside... we actually controlled a game of football.

No end to end basketball bullshit with us already up by two goals, just calm possession and picking our spots. Onana could have had his pipe and slippers out for the whole second half. We'll see how long it lasts, but we looked like an honest to god, grown up football team for a while there.
This! I came to say this, second half was beautiful and we kept the ball so well. We lacked penetration at times and should have properly killed the game, but maybe that was just part of us just controlling the second half?

Great to get back to winmig ways. Comfortable win with plenty of positives, particularly from the new boys. Some lovely link play from Zirkzee, just needs to sharpen up a bit in front of goal. Big plus to have Rashers back scoring and all. Onwards & upwards from here.

Some really nice play from Amad and Zirkzee right up until the finish that is. If they can find that final piece they'll be incredibly dangerous. At least Garna knows where the net is

Rashford had some good moments, de ligt was great, nice cameo from Ugarte.

All in all a positive game even with the shaky start

How do our central defenders keep getting injured?

Shit first 30 mins but after the penalty save, things turned around. Good to see a dominant scoreline and display. Long may it continue.

sluggish 30 mins, even then we could have had a goal or two. Onana saves the penalty, game turns and we get two quickfire goals, could have had a third or fourth before halftime. Second half was low key and controlled (so refreshing). Only negatives we didn't score more and the injuries

De Ligt and Mazrouri look good signings. Pleased for Rashford with the goal and he got a spring in his step afterwards. Bruno seems a bit off it imo, thought Zirkzee did well (apart from the finishing). Must feel different for Onana to have a quiet second half

Owen chatting shit saying the red card was a bit harsh on the Southampton player. Was more deserving of a yellow :lol:

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 284 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Southampton 0:2 Man Utd
  • 19% Southampton 1:2 Man Utd