PL W FA Premier League

Southampton 0:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 14 September 2024

Get in there.

All over the place until the penalty and great double save from Onana. After that and the goals it was thankfully straight forward.

De Ligt was fantastic. Hopefully Rashford will start getting his mojo back now.

Zirkzees link up play was brilliant.

Much needed win. even before the penalty, we had 2 big chances. Ugarte is a must and Eriksen (who was good today), will struggle even more against a better opposition. loved the fact that we didnt go gung ho in the second half and actually tried to control the game.

De Light and Martinez along with Ugarte Infront of them should provide us a solid defensive foundation. worried about the injuries !!

Happy with the win and the performance overall. Southampton got us until the penalty kick, but we also had some clear cut chances.

Hopefully that goal from Rashford will boost his confidence and he will go on a run.

All I can think of is that he’s been told to slow things down at times (which he does need to do for sure) but he’s just adjusting to it. Hope so anyway!
Yeah, he just needs to get the balance I guess, like Rashford we need him to find his best form so hopefully it comes.

Obviously it was a good result and performance, but I think we took the foot off when we could have given them a real hiding. At times we were too comfortable to sit on the 2-0 lead. Another team will punish us for that, suddeny the score is 2-1 and we revert back to shitting ourselves trying to hold on for dear life.

Feels good to know there's quite a few players to come back/get fit and we can get results like that.

So glad we got that Third goal. De Ligt was great. So was Mazaroui. Amad is making that Right Wing position his own now.

I thought we was poor in the opening half hour and were getting outplayed by a newly promoted side but we picked up a bit after the pen (which was a pen) was saved, 2nd half I felt we lacked urgency a bit especially after the red when we should have been looking for more goals.

Zirkzee was poor in front of goal todsy and missed 2 glaring chances that most CB's would have scored.

Overall 3-0 isnt a bad result in what had the potential to be a really tricky fixture.

I expected a comfortable 2:0 victory but united won 3:0. An ok performance against a very poor Southampton side.

Good to get back on the winners list.

Important after losing the last two matches.

Would have been disastrous had we not taken all 3 points today.

Onana 8 - great saves especially the pen
De Ligt - 9, goal obviously, but more importantly his resilience helped us immensely under pressure in first half, very solid
Licha - 7, good game
Dalot - 7, completely overrun in first half but never gave up, an assist
Mazza - 7, signing of the season. Can’t believe Bayern sold us a player of this caliber for £15m
Eriksen - 8, he made us tick
Mainoo - 7, good game, reliable,
Bruno - 7, got in good positions
Rashford - 8, finally shooting from his favoured position and getting a goal. Seems less overthinking than usual
ZZ - 8, excellent movement, link up play, must improve finishing
Diallo - 9, what a player. Knit us together on the right flank

Mostly agree, but I think Eriksen, Rashford and Dalot are a tad high. Rashford was solid, not spectacular, but for the goal. Eriksen was ok, but more of a 6/7. Not poor, but we got a clear lift when Ugarte came in the game. For me, Dalot got abused way too much early on to share the same rating as Maz, who was consistently good today. Finally, Bruno was abysmal. No way he deserves this high of a rating. He is the biggest threat to our possession and control of the game. Too many times he got knocked off the ball dribbling when he had clear options to move the ball. He took shots multiple times when he should have created for others. He held the ball for three touches when he had an opportunity in the box for a one touch shot. Then proceeded to lose the ball. His sloppy possession leads to counter attacks. Just not good enough from our captain, and certainly not good enough for a 7 imo.

always want a lineup like this

Garnacho - Hojlund - Amad
Eriksen
Mainoo - Urgarte
Shaw - Martinez - De ligt - Dalot
Swap Zirkzee in for Eriksen against teams we expect to beat and Mount for ones we need to close down in midfield and I’d be happy with that.

always want a lineup like this

Garnacho - Hojlund - Amad
Eriksen
Mainoo - Urgarte
Shaw - Martinez - De ligt - Dalot

Give me Mazroui over Dalot, and Mount over Eriksen. Neither of these lineups are likely to happen, but that’s the direction I’d go. Hate that we just gave Bruno a massive contract. Fights for the badge, but he’s just doesn’t value the ball nearly enough. Still, zero chance he goes to the bench. If Maz is healthy, I’ll take him over Dalot, though I think Dalot has had a good start to the year as well. Would love it if Shaw was fit for a good stretch of play this year. Doubt that happens at this point, but he would definitely give us something off the left.

After first thirty minutes we started to play, penalty save a big turning point. Southampton faded away after that.
We still have some silly and obvious faults at times, but overall some decent stuff, new boys looking better every game, especially Matty de Ligt.
Rashford showing some positive signs of finding his mojo again., lets hope it takes off from here.
Still think that against better teams in the league we are going to need a 3-man midfield, but don't think ETH has any such thoughts....?

Weird game. Thought we were embarassing that first half an hour and getting outcoached all over. Couldn't build up, were getting pressed to death, and they were playing through us well. Then post Onana save we popped a nice set piece goal, created a few more chances, then the Rashford goal sort of took the sting out of the game for them.

Second half was very comfortable. Didn't press too hard, didn't get rushed, just controlled the game.

I'm not sure any of our issues are actually fixed but this was a game where individual quality shone through and Southampton simply didn't have the quality on their side to punish us up top.

Good performance all in all, professional win. Once again, should have scored a lot more than we did.

Game changed on the penalty miss, although it was hardly a dominant Southampton performance, just more of a slog. After that we got the goal and we were in total control.

Very impressed with Zirkzee actually. His awareness and touch is really good, although he doesn't quite seem the pressing monster he was made out to be. Looks a really interesting player who could help our link up play a lot.

Great to see martinez back to playing well. De Ligt, Onana, Amad, Rashford, all did pretty well too.

The Onana save changed the game. Southampton fell apart and we took advantage. We have a proper CB to partner with Martinez now. Mainoo and Amad are fantastic. Ugarte looks intriguing. The opponent will get relegated but we got the job and can build something from here.

Nothing fancy. We couldn't have asked for a better opponent than Southampton. They scored only one goal in 4 matches, their attacking virtually non-existent. Mediocre performance, with an awesome Amad, poor Rashford and Bruno and even worse Dalot. The rest of the team was okay, nothing special. I wasn't happy with de Ligt though. Despite his goal in defence he made several mistakes.

Would've taken a 3-0 victory before kickoff, obviously. But i'm not impressed with the performance at all.

Up until the goal Soton were the better team. When Dalot conceded that ridiculous pen, I had that "here we go again" feeling. So annoyed with all the braindead personal errors in the last 10+ years.

When Stephens got his marching orders, we had a perfect opportunity to improve our goal difference - but nothing happened. Up the tempo ffs! So frustrating to watch..

Some good performances however. De Ligt and Martinez played well together. Amad was good as well albeit kinda predictable.

Hopefully Eth will give Kobbie a break against Barnsley. He's looked a bit tired this season.

Pretty annoyed that negative feelings dominate after a decent victory. Come on, United! We can do better!

It's a good win folks, let's enjoy it! I wrote the quoted post during in the match thread and that sort of reaction of taking every opportunity to have a pop at people with a difference of opinion is tiresome.

Can we enjoy good performances without having to try and have a go at others?

So according to you score counters, where are we at?

Onana haters - in the mud
Dalot haters - chilling in the pool
Martinez haters - teetering on the brink of the mud
De Ligt haters - drowning under a horrible mudslide
Mazraoui haters - teetering on the brink of the mud
Eriksen haters - jumping like maniacs between the mud then the pool?
Mainoo haters - teetering on the brink of the pool?
Bruno haters - one foot in the mud from time to time
Rashford haters - dragged from the pool and tossed unceremoniously into the mud
Zirkzee haters - in the mud
Amad haters - in the mud

Honestly, what's wrong with you people? Enjoy the game and the fact that our players are doing well

"X player haters/fanboys in the mud" after one action (or even a game) is firstly misleading, but also weird in the circumstances where we should all be celebrating together - Lord knows we haven't had that many opportunities!

Even before our first goal, I thought we were more dangerous than Southampton. Outside of the penalty Southampton only had one decent chance which was a terrific stop by Onana

I felt we looked more organised off the ball than previous games. We weren't perfect. After all, Dalot was terrible up to the penalty he conceded and Rashford was still pretty lazy when defending. Outside of them two we definitely looked more compact than usual. We could've done better at holding the ball before our goal but whenever we broke into their half we always looked pretty dangerous

Until the penalty save we were atrocious, really relegation quality football. After Southampton collapsed we were good. 3 points and onto the next struggle/roll of the dice.

We weren't ruthless, we just passed the ball with no real intent to hurt the opposition.

GXcMX2dXUAEmpg-

Two great passes led to goals, by Bruno and Casemiro. Rashford took his brilliantly and his overall game was good. I think we should be able to rotate Mainoo a bit as the season progresses, both Eriksen and Casemiro could work there. Bruno looks a bit tired. Hopefully they rest him midweek

And honestly... There's literally no development. The third season started and we're still at the point where we should celebrate a win against a poor Southampton? We're stuck in one place. "...and can build something from here.". Oh, I've heard the exact same words 100000 times in the past 2 seasons and still hear it. Is that you, Erik??? And nothing happens.

Decent win, I think only our 2nd away win this year since February. The first 30 minutes when we were getting completely outplayed by a promoted side is a concern though. We were much better after the goals when Southampton lost heart.

Hopefully the injuries are just all knocks and cramp.

When's the last time we won a game by 3 goals?

Just checked 3-0 vs West Ham back in February.

Different game after the penalty save. From then on we set an example of how we should play against shit teams, controlled the game and could have scored more.

Give me Mazroui over Dalot, and Mount over Eriksen. Neither of these lineups are likely to happen, but that’s the direction I’d go. Hate that we just gave Bruno a massive contract. Fights for the badge, but he’s just doesn’t value the ball nearly enough. Still, zero chance he goes to the bench. If Maz is healthy, I’ll take him over Dalot, though I think Dalot has had a good start to the year as well. Would love it if Shaw was fit for a good stretch of play this year. Doubt that happens at this point, but he would definitely give us something off the left.
Bruno has been one of the weak links for a long time. Not captain material either.

We had three wingers play today and all of them had a goal involvement. What is happening!?

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 284 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Southampton 0:2 Man Utd
  • 19% Southampton 1:2 Man Utd