PL W FA Premier League

Southampton 0:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 14 September 2024

Good result but I still think against better sides we will struggle to win. Crystal Palace have better potential to score against us. They destroyed us last year at Selhurst Park as well. Injuries again a big concern especially as it's happening to the same old people.

Poor until the penalty but very comfortable after that. I think this Southampton side could well end up with one of the lowest points totals in PL history but even so, a win like that should get the confidence of the team up. Good to see all the forwards making positive contributions and Tuesday's game is now another great opportunity to score a few more goals between them.

Bruno disappointed me with his wasteful attempts at long shot. He needs to raise his awareness, just play more simple passes now you have forwards capable of receiving and passing the ball in tight space of penalty area.

I agree sir however if he can use this as a new foundation, he could win us fans over. I'd much prefer he turn this around than sacking him but if inconsistency prevails, he has to go.

I'll be hoping he wins every game to prove us all wrong.
Agreed, but we can’t keep saying “this is the spring board” when we keep putting 1 step forward and 2 steps back.
If the man can’t use the FA Cup as a turning point then I’m not convinced a win against a terrible Southampton is the calling card either

Guess we can only live in hope

lots of players got a run out.

Rashford scores and builds on confidence

Defensive injuries again an issue .

Zirkzee plays some nice stuff.

Ugarte now amongst it

Good day at the office, now build on it.

This for me. It would have been a huge worry to lose to this Southampton team. Up to their penalty, they were better.

But the penalty miss changed everything, De Ligt scored and it was easy after that. It was the perfect game after the Liverpool match: away from home against a pretty poor side trying to find their rhythm in the Premiership.

I couldn't say we played great, didn't need to. But we took care of a rubbish team and that's all you can do, so well done ETH and the players. Good for Rashford, Zirkzee brings something for sure, but he's not a natural Goal-scorer, you can see that. Good for DeLigt and Ugarte to get game time.

Random but can the match going fans drop the JS Park Chant. It really has no place in our repertoire. He’s also asked nicely.

Rewatching the game and I just heard the chant around the 58 min mark.
Totally agree. It's unbelievable singing a racist song about one of your own players. How thick are these clowns?
To be fair I've not heard it at OT for a few years.

Just six pages of discussion after United's 3-0 away win. The ETH out brigade must be feeling quite disheartened.

Just six pages of discussion after United's 3-0 away win. The ETH out brigade must be feeling quite disheartened.

Yeah I noticed that as well.

A fair bit of praise for Southampton playing well for 30 minutes too! a 30 minutes which includes United being better for the first 10 minutes haha.

But each to their own, maybe we have all forgot what an easy win feels…we don’t know how to react :)

I'm going to say it, I would have been annoyed if one of our players were sent off for that red card challenge. It was a silly one, obviously you shouldn't give the ref a decision to make like that, but was it dangerous? Not for me. He's well in control of it, he's not used reckless force, he knows Garnacho's leg is up in the air so won't get caught in the turf...it's a yellow and a talking to for me.

But I don't think it would have changed the result much, Southampton lost all heart after missing the pen and quickly conceding thereafter, we had extra gears to go to I reckon.

It is always shorter when we win. Nothing unusual.

No one is sorry that we won, that is what we all want, and it is the very reason why people have doubts over Erik.

It is always shorter when we win. Nothing unusual.

No one is sorry that we won, that is what we all want, and it is the very reason why people have doubts over Erik.
So why are there fewer posts on when United are winning? Do people only revel in defeat or what?

So why are there fewer posts on when United are winning? Do people only revel in defeat or what?
Thats just the state of social media and the internet in general nowadays. This weekend doesn't feel right to come and vent our lives off at redcafe since we won confortably. But hold on until next defeat and this will be over 50 pages

Russell Martin:

"The penalty changed the game, if we have their players I'm pretty sure we take those chances.”

This is a new take. We'd have won if we had the winning teams players. Didn't realise Michael Owen had gone into management

Welcome to the Internet. Scandal makes for more engagement + discussion than merriment. When the pitchforks are out you'll see the most posts, on any team site.

Good question, my guess is that we have a bigger need to hang on the forum when things go tits up and we feel a bit down or just plain out angry. Writing a little rant or read other peoples rants might ease it.
For me, if we win i feel happy, i get energy to do other stuff, i don’t spend so much time here.

Im curious. Did our performance against Southampton inspire any confidence for this season? I see a few positives but largely the same defensive mistakes and wastefulness in possession seemed apparent albeit against a much weaker side. Nothing has remarkably changed but I’m hoping the win changes the team’s mindset especially against Crystal Palace which won’t be an easy one to navigate.

Maybe I'm biased but didn't like the ref at all. Think we should've had a penalty (foul on Amad), and it felt like he was much quicker to hand out yellow cards to our players.

It was a positive performance but thought we were so bad defending on wings. Their penalty came that way as well.

Im curious. Did our performance against Southampton inspire any confidence for this season? I see a few positives but largely the same defensive mistakes and wastefulness in possession seemed apparent albeit against a much weaker side. Nothing has remarkably changed but I’m hoping the win changes the team’s mindset especially against Crystal Palace which won’t be an easy one to navigate.
Southampton are a poor side but stylistically one to expose teams who are trying to play out. They press high and dominate possession (I think they had majority in the games leading up to this fixture).

Dalot I think contributed to our nervousness at the back as he has a frankly terrible 15 minutes. Misunderstandings with his CB and human error with handling the winger. But we grew into the game and toyed with them for large periods. I think this was inevitable because Southamptons style is quite taxing.

Its hard to tell where we are at, the Fulham game was positive and so was Brighton despite the loss (we did poorly in the final 5 mins of that game but a generally better performance than our 2-0 win vs them last season).

We need consistency so even a win vs Palace isn't enough. I think we need to make a statement in the coming 6 fixtures.

Maybe I'm biased but didn't like the ref at all. Think we should've had a penalty (foul on Amad), and it felt like he was much quicker to hand out yellow cards to our players.

It was a positive performance but thought we were so bad defending on wings. Their penalty came that way as well.
Yes, they got too much joy from the wings. We need to hem in wingers more effectively, or execute the press better so they don‘t even get the ball in the first place.

I think that's always been the case to be honest.

I'm no longer convinced about EtH, not by a long shot, but that's because I love it when we win, and he hasn't been doing lot's of that, and in many cases, just hasn't seemed capable. If EtH puts a convincing run of performances and results together, I'll happily change my position.

I don't have any stake in being right or wrong, I just want the Man United manager and the team to do well like they did on Saturday. Whether that manager is EtH or not depends on how he and the team continue perform, and so it should be. He's here now, so I really hope he can build significantly on this after the shocker that was last season.

Despite the poor back-to-back results, it seems he and the players really believe we're on to something with the new coaching team, players and leadership, so let's hope they're right!

Happy with the win, the ability to turn it around and the building of confidence.
Glad to see good performances of our summer additions.

Let Ugarte get a full game on Tue.

Zirkzee played well but if he won’t start scoring some of such massive chances it’ll get into his head

If De Ligt can keep up performances like these he’ll prove to be an absolute bargain

Edit: also happy with Rashford. Scored and had opportunities to net a couple more

Onana - Game changing save
de Ligt - Overall solid game
Martinez - Back to his best..
Dalot - First half an hour had an absolute mare
Rashford - Glad he got his goal
Zirkee - Should've scored at least one goal but encouraging performance

Rubbish first half an hour turned on that penalty save by Onana. Gave the rocket up the arse the team needed I think..

I'm going to say it, I would have been annoyed if one of our players were sent off for that red card challenge. It was a silly one, obviously you shouldn't give the ref a decision to make like that, but was it dangerous? Not for me. He's well in control of it, he's not used reckless force, he knows Garnacho's leg is up in the air so won't get caught in the turf...it's a yellow and a talking to for me.

But I don't think it would have changed the result much, Southampton lost all heart after missing the pen and quickly conceding thereafter, we had extra gears to go to I reckon.

What Garnacho is doing with his leg has nothing to do with the tackle. It was high with studs showing. Red card.

Rewatched the match last night, and the narrative around "Southampton dominated for 30 minutes" is quite far from reality on second watching. It felt like it at the time, maybe due to the commentators as well who jump on any instance of an opposition controlling the play against Utd for a period of time. This is par for the course.

On a second viewing, United controlled the first 10 min or so, and then we ran into some slogging football for about 15 min, where Dalot got exposed a couple of times, and Southampton had a couple of good runs down the wings to cause us some concern. But, before the pen, Southampton had one actual chance to score while we had a couple with Zirkzee and Bruno.

I realize that Southampton are relegation fodder, but the return from Internationals is always an issue for the bigger teams, so it took us a while to hit our stride.

The bin dippers were up against relegation fodder, starting later than us and they got turned over by Forest.

Criticizing the team/players/manager is not something I jump on as my first instinct, but I do understand people doing so. There was no reason to do so after that match.

Nothing to do with ten Hag. Nobody will give too much importance to a match where we beat the weakest team in the league. (Or the second weakest, but Everton at least could score 4 times in 4 matches while Southampton scored only once). On the other hand, let me quote what Dwight Yorke said about the current United in an interview. Here you go.

"We are a million miles away from winning the Premier League," he told beIN Sports." When talking about the current manager, this was a person to take us forward, and we thought after the first season this was the guy. What has happened, yes we have managed to win the FA Cup, but the identity in terms of how we play, where we finish, goals conceded, is the worst in our history since the Premier League started in 1992.". Just one more "EtH out" person.

Not at all. My tiny bit of optimism for the season was destroyed by the Pool embarrassment and it will take an earth-shaking change of strategy or tactics or something miraculous for me to have any hope of finishing above 6th.

I still see us struggling to score or struggling to even create chances, and despite a huge save against Southampton we have one of the worst keepers in the league.

When you combine that with a manager that watched the performances last season and surely is aware of where we finished in the table, but yet hasn't seemed to change a single thing..... Its hard to find any reason for optimism.

I am ETH Out with my entire mind, body and soul. And I seriously doubt my fellows in the brigade would change their thoughts after beating a newly promoted team, even if we absolutely played them off the park.

Rewatched the match last night, and the narrative around "Southampton dominated for 30 minutes" is quite far from reality on second watching. It felt like it at the time, maybe due to the commentators as well who jump on any instance of an opposition controlling the play against Utd for a period of time. This is par for the course.

On a second viewing, United controlled the first 10 min or so, and then we ran into some slogging football for about 15 min, where Dalot got exposed a couple of times, and Southampton had a couple of good runs down the wings to cause us some concern. But, before the pen, Southampton had one actual chance to score while we had a couple with Zirkzee and Bruno.

I realize that Southampton are relegation fodder, but the return from Internationals is always an issue for the bigger teams, so it took us a while to hit our stride.

The bin dippers were up against relegation fodder, starting later than us and they got turned over by Forest.

Criticizing the team/players/manager is not something I jump on as my first instinct, but I do understand people doing so. There was no reason to do so after that match.

Totally agree with the above. It's very annoying. And it was not even the Le Seaux / Dixon team.

What Garnacho is doing with his leg has nothing to do with the tackle. It was high with studs showing. Red card.

Of course it does, I'd Google the rulebook for you but I can't be arsed. The level of force and danger has everything to do with it, studs showing doesn't come into it other than as a factor in judging the force.

Of course it does, I'd Google the rulebook for you but I can't be arsed. The level of force and danger has everything to do with it, studs showing doesn't come into it other than as a factor in judging the force.
Leg over the ball showing studs hitting the other player is a deep red. If not, the ref has it wrong.

Player Ratings

6.5 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 284 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Southampton win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 22% Southampton 0:2 Man Utd
  • 19% Southampton 1:2 Man Utd