PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:3 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sun, 01 September 2024

Good post. MOTM tough - tempted to say Masraoui. I’m so sorry for Casemiro- he’s a great footballer and a great guy. He had a tough day at the office today. But we are in a process. It’s not going to gell of a sudden. Good things will happen - just seems far away tonight. Live to all United supporters. Boy were the Scouse fans enjoying themselves in the pub tonight. Long road
This is the problem. Thinking like this.

Reading some of ETH's post match comments and he comes out with this:

Whilst its true you bring players in to improve the squad/team, its a really bad idea to come up with something which basically sounds like "once my newest player is in we'll be fine". He post match comments always seem excuse laden, inspires absolutely no confidence he actually understands the problems let alone how to fix them.

Half way through last year I was ETH out, I saw no improvement in us since he started and nothing since then has changed my mind. I remember when we gave Ole the full time job on the back of 4-5 really goods games and that was clearly a knee jerk appointment that set the club back years, giving a manager a new contract on the back of a cup win (one where we were so close to going out in the SF to a Championship side) was equally knee jerk. Its a worry the first major decision the new structure has made seems to be a really poor one.

They wanted to sack him, but he was massively favoured by the fans after the cup win. Easy to say to just sack him anyway, but they’re new in to the club and need to keep the fans on side. If there was a clear top class manager available to replace him then they might’ve pulled the trigger anyway.

This is down to individual errors, but the whole system is not helping the ones making those errors.

Against top teams we need to move Bruno to the right and add an extra midfield. ETH needs to be less stubborn and try something else.
Agree re errors. We actually had a higher xG than them amazingly. I don’t know re Bruno on the right, we’ve been discussing it for yonks but I just don’t see how we ever have control when he plays, people point the finger at Casemiro but the setup just doesn’t work.

Another piss poor pre season and we’re under pressure straight away. I don’t care about the results in pre season but you can tell by the running in games if you’re gonna be ready. Physically and tactically nowhere near it. It was obvious this start was coming. The squad is a total mess. The lack of physicality is astonishing. We must be a dream to play against. Our players are vastly overrated. You have to be some player to make up for our lack of pace, power and stamina. Sadly I think 8th is about our level.

All that said, it’s obvious that Ten Hag is out of ideas. Until he goes everything up to that point is time wasted. Ineos lacked conviction and botched the managerial decision in the summer. He has no idea how to set us up. Liverpool have played Ipswich and Brentford so far and today was by far their easiest game.

Sick of it.

They wanted to sack him, but he was massively favoured by the fans after the cup win. Easy to say to just sack him anyway, but they’re new in to the club and need to keep the fans on side. If there was a clear top class manager available to replace him then they might’ve pulled the trigger anyway.
That's really weak decision making and leadership. Like incredibly weak. "We think he's the wrong man, we want him gone, but man the fans like him". I cannot envisage a true leader not making the decision they think is correct. I struggle to see someone like Ratcliffe or Brailsford behaving like that that, they're known as being ruthless, not humanitarians.

Additionally, I'm actually not sure the overall feeling of the fan base "massively favoured" him at that point, I think a lot appreciated the cup win but still wanted him gone.

It's not a different story - we know Shaw is a crock, we know Malacia has a long term injury, we know Mount is a crock and to be fair Hojlund has a poor injury record too.

Relying on always injured players to have miraculous recoveries and never to repeat that pattern of injury proneness again is madness. Martinez comes into that but at least we have cover
There was a time when we had a squad of fit, healthy players, most of whom were rarely out injured and, except in the case of a handfull of players who suffered injuries like cruciate ligament, dislocated shoulder, meta tarsel, never for long, and this was back in the day when football was still a contact sport with hard, fast tackles flying in!
Since SAF retired we seem to be buying players who are crocks even before they sign their contracts. Some people have questioned Ten Haags training regimes, but as far as Im aware no player has.

That's really weak decision making and leadership. Like incredibly weak. "We think he's the wrong man, we want him gone, but man the fans like him". I cannot envisage a true leader not making the decision they think is correct. I struggle to see someone like Ratcliffe or Brailsford behaving like that that, they're known as being ruthless, not humanitarians.

Additionally, I'm actually not sure the overall feeling of the fan base "massively favoured" him at that point, I think a lot appreciated the cup win but still wanted him gone.

I don't agree. It was really bad.

Ultimately, I think after review, they made the right decision, as our fans would have tried to turn him into a martyr and might have made it difficult for the new manager. We might be forced to sacrifice part of this campaign to change course. I never thought he would survive this season, so the earlier we get him out, the quicker we are actually able to move into this new era as a club.

What's more is how arrogant he has been since May. Very prickly during press conferences, and our fans are lapping it up. What's funny is, I'm actually appreciating the press in this instance, as they seem to be the only ones standing up to the ridiculousness of keeping this manager.

It's a football club. The narrative/fans voices matter.

Well that's a bit silly. How was Dalot 1/10 ? or Mazraoui ?
They showed a stat at around 2-0 mark after Diazs goal, who had lost the ball the most. Casemiro was one around 10 times, Dalot at number two at 8 times. Its not really acceptable for a defender to be losing the ball this many times as it kept giving Liverpool chances.

United are desperately missing Shaw I feel. And Mount's pressing would have also been useful this game

I've been talking to a couple of Liverpool supporting mates, and I'm pleased to report that our plan to lure them into a false sense of security is going swimmingly.

Erik Ten Hag must go. He simply must.
100% What the hell are they waiting for? Huge jog, yes, but there must be someone that can coach at this level and with some tactical nous. So b****y obvious ETH way out of his depth

It's a football club. The narrative/fans voices matter.
They do, but not as much as making the correct decision. If you, as an owner, believe strongly a manager is the wrong person but you're scared of the fans, you're in the wrong business. Let's not also pretend this is sacking a SAF, Wenger, Klopp, Guardiola, Mourinho level manager. It was sacking a manager who took us to 3rd and 8th. If they don't have the balls to do that, truly we are fecked.

This is the problem. Thinking like this.
Didn't take long for Slot and Maresca to get their teams playing coherent football did it? And people think giving Ten Hag even more time is the answer. No, we've seen his level and it's not good enough.

I know it's only 3 games in to the new season but it really looks bad.

An absolutely awful performance and conceded all our goals due to mistakes (2x Casemiro, 1x Mainoo). The players seemed to lack any spatial awareness and strength and were just bullied off the ball.

The only positive I can take from the game is De Ligt looked good and very composed. Dalot also had a good game

I'm not annoyed that we lost, but it is the manner that we lost and the players didn't show any intensity or heart and just made the game so easy for Liverpool.

But anyway don't worry all, we will see the players post on social media that they are "sorry," they are "working hard," they "will go again and fix these problems" etc. Basically the same excuses we have heard for years and the players taking the fans as fools.

Anyway let's all just be glad we have the international break and can have a break from this for a couple of weeks.

How the hell did you post this within the same minute of this thread being made?

Otherwise, I agree.

Only 9 pages on the post match thread after such a humiliating game. Even the fans can't summon the fire anymore. That's where we are now. Numb to the mediocrity. It's sad we have to change again, but change we must. We ain't going anywhere with Ten Hag in charge. Good man, out of his depth here.

Just came back and read his post match comments. Wow, just wow. Full grown delusional by now. Excuses after excuses, bragging about the few minor trophies he won, doesn’t acknowledge any mistakes. He has to go

I was mildly in favor of giving ETH a benefit of the doubt even after last season. But to come up with such meek performance versus Liverpool and the most importantly to disregard any notion of form or value players give on the pitch and fall back to playing favorites all I can say FU ETH and goodbye. Your sacking can't come soon enough. Maguire deserved to keep his spot in first 11 but ok for the chemistry reason of almost full ex Ajax backline with the exception of Dalot to give DeLigt a start I would understand. But to bench Amad who was a rare bright spot in first two games just to shoehorn fecking Rashford into the side? And all that after Rashford is serving shitshow after shitshow every week and then you have the absolute fecking audacity to haul of Garnacho (who was almost equally bad) and not Rashford who was stinking the place up? Go F yourself Eric. Not to mention playing calamity Casemiro (holding midfielder who should have 90-95% passing rate - misplacing 10 of his 37 passes for shocking 73% passing rate before being hauled off) with Bruno who both displace pass after pass (couldn't find stats for Bruno but he was equally awful with passing), unfortunately Mainoo also having a bad game and we were without a midfield. Luckily we sold McT who would have helped in this fixture right? Zirkzee got some chances, could have buried one or two but he is new to the league I have time for him.

In the end to bitch also at our shot stopping - regardless of the fact that all three shots on target that resulted in goals were well struck second and third were not perfect placements by the post. A good shot stopper is getting his hand on at lest one of those efforts. Onana is as useful in stopping shots as a sack of potatoes.

Bruno was garbage today. Without him on song, we have no creativity.

Bruno goes a-wandering, Casemiro can’t complete a pass, and Mainoo is left to face 3 Liverpool players. The shape is wrong with those personnel.

Casemiro needs to be taken to the glue factory.
Onana needs to go. Woeful and not getting any better. It’s almost like playing with an extra center back and no keeper at all.
Zirkzee is not now, nor has he ever been, a finisher. He’s no #9 at all and prefers playing wide. Shoehorning him into the side was a mistake. Should have had Bruno as a false 9.

Ten Hag is clueless.

Another piss poor pre season and we’re under pressure straight away. I don’t care about the results in pre season but you can tell by the running in games if you’re gonna be ready. Physically and tactically nowhere near it. It was obvious this start was coming. The squad is a total mess. The lack of physicality is astonishing. We must be a dream to play against. Our players are vastly overrated. You have to be some player to make up for our lack of pace, power and stamina. Sadly I think 8th is about our level.

All that said, it’s obvious that Ten Hag is out of ideas. Until he goes everything up to that point is time wasted. Ineos lacked conviction and botched the managerial decision in the summer. He has no idea how to set us up. Liverpool have played Ipswich and Brentford so far and today was by far their easiest game.

Sick of it.
Why are you stilk here?

100% What the hell are they waiting for? Huge jog, yes, but there must be someone that can coach at this level and with some tactical nous. So b****y obvious ETH way out of his depth

The same thing they've been waiting for, I guess. It's not like anything's changed or gotten worse, this is what it is. Any good results for over a year now have been down to individual moments of jammy brilliance here or there. It's not like things have gone south suddenly.

We need to get to a point where is you’re failing after half a season you get sacked. Fair enough if a manager wins a league title give him time but why are we giving these managers more than 2 seasons?

It was dire last season. Already embarrassed by our biggest rivals at home. Put the dog down and get rid. Fed up that we have to suffer until we are completely embarrassed and laughed at by everyone. Next 3 games I could easily see us losing.

Good post. MOTM tough - tempted to say Masraoui. I’m so sorry for Casemiro- he’s a great footballer and a great guy. He had a tough day at the office today. But we are in a process. It’s not going to gell of a sudden. Good things will happen - just seems far away tonight. Live to all United supporters. Boy were the Scouse fans enjoying themselves in the pub tonight. Long road…
Well no. Casemiro is a footballer who should retire. Finding ourselves in a situation where he is the only DM on our books is more than embarrassing. If Ugarte gets injured then we are screwed.

Only reason you all started hating Klopp was because he started winning stuff! So many other teams’ fans including Man Utd fans, thought he was great at the start of his tenure when he was playing great footy but losing finals. He’s always been a sore loser, was even worse at Mainz and Dortmund!

As for ten Hag, I have no idea why he is still in the job, yes, he had done well to win 2 cups, but it’s clear from the league and Europe that the guy isn’t up to it at the very highest level.

Slot has quickly settled in at Liverpool FC, but worth remembering it does help to take on a strong and quite balanced squad, that starting 11 of Liverpool’s today was better than Man Utd’s in every position.
Think you're right and I'm big enough to admit it.
He was one of them "He's a cnut but he's our cnut"

Ivan Toney, a proven goalscorer, was available but we ignored him; why? Surely at 28 he wasnt too old!
Exactly this... Toney would've bagged at least 2 goals today and would've given their defence a tough time. We're very light up front, with one out and out number 9 who's injured and unproven like the rest of our attackers.

Frankly, it was diabolical from the club to wait until deadline day to sign Ugarte….. We lack cover at a position. And Case showed last season. He was falling off levels. There’s nobody to blame except INEOS for the start. We could’ve had our defenders in earlier and Bartay in earlier but instead we wait until later in the window where they have no chance to build up any fitness or rhythm with the players on the team. We are forced to cobble together crap from last season.

We were well in the game until that first mistake but after that it was awful. Never got near them and were lucky we didn’t get spanked again.

We were nowhere near as bad and they were nowhere near as good as everyone is desperate to make out.

We were shit, yeah and they were decent - but this wasn’t the same match up we’ve seen in previous seasons where they seemed to be toying with us for 90 minutes while our entire team had a collective panic attack.

Not that that is anything to celebrate, it’s still depressing as feck - but the hysteria and scouse love in after games like this is fecking draining.

Fans are fickle. You keep them on side by playing entertaining winning football. You do that with ETH's replacement and he is a distant memory. Not some martyr.

Bruno was garbage today. Without him on song, we have no creativity.

Bruno goes a-wandering, Casemiro can’t complete a pass, and Mainoo is left to face 3 Liverpool players. The shape is wrong with those personnel.

Casemiro needs to be taken to the glue factory.
Onana needs to go. Woeful and not getting any better. It’s almost like playing with an extra center back and no keeper at all.
Zirkzee is not now, nor has he ever been, a finisher. He’s no #9 at all and prefers playing wide. Shoehorning him into the side was a mistake. Should have had Bruno as a false 9.

Ten Hag is clueless.
He had no creativity today, hardly any this season. Bruno did play a false 9.

What's going on with Rashford being undroppable? It's getting a bit weird

Apologies if this has been said before but surely Rashfords repeated inclusion in the starting eleven raises suspicion that playing time is inserted in his contract. Can't fathom any rational explanation otherwise!

Well that's a bit silly. How was Dalot 1/10 ? or Mazraoui ?
Dalot and Rashford’s side of the pitch was wide open and Liverpool exploited it at will. Granted some of it was on Rashford but I am sorry you can’t rate a player highly when his primary job is to defend.

A truly terrible game to watch. The whole team looks devoid of quality, I've been watching lots of games this season and we are one of the worst teams in the division that I've seen. Loads of individual errors, bad decision making and a general lack of game awareness.

Thought ZZ looked off the pace but once he settles in he will be a real asset. If he was sharp today I think he could have created some good chances for others but you could see how rusty he was.

Was at the game today just got back.

Loud audible boos for his subs and half time.

He's done.

Sack him before it gets worse.

Probably a glass half empty post after today’s result, but I genuinely don’t think we’ve done enough in the transfer window.
We needed to sign a game changer or two and I don’t think we did. We’ve signed either minor upgrades, squad players or potential.
Our best football under ten Hag was when Eriksen had a bit of stamina and was able to control things in the middle with his passing. Ugarte isn’t really that type of player, although will hopefully make us better out of possession.
Zirkzee is a squad striker.
De Ligt is a minor upgrade on Varane/Maguire. Mazraoui is more of a squad option/ cover for rb while Shaw is injured.
I get that we are hamstrung by massive deadwood but I’m worried that the combination of mediocre recruitment and sticking with Ten Hag will have us floating around mid table again.
Hope Ugarte has a big impact, Garnacho picks up and replaces Rashford in the starting lineup, Hojlund gets back soon and has an impact and Amad takes the right wing. A lot of hopium there.

Ten Hag needs to go though.

I was mildly in favor of giving ETH a benefit of the doubt even after last season. But to come up with such meek performance versus Liverpool and the most importantly to disregard any notion of form or value players give on the pitch and fall back to playing favorites all I can say FU ETH and goodbye. Your sacking can't come soon enough. Maguire deserved to keep his spot in first 11 but ok for the chemistry reason of almost full ex Ajax backline with the exception of Dalot to give DeLigt a start I would understand. But to bench Amad who was a rare bright spot in first two games just to shoehorn fecking Rashford into the side? And all that after Rashford is serving shitshow after shitshow every week and then you have the absolute fecking audacity to haul of Garnacho (who was almost equally bad) and not Rashford who was stinking the place up? Go F yourself Eric. Not to mention playing calamity Casemiro (holding midfielder who should have 90-95% passing rate - misplacing 10 of his 37 passes for shocking 73% passing rate before being hauled off) with Bruno who both displace pass after pass (couldn't find stats for Bruno but he was equally awful with passing), unfortunately Mainoo also having a bad game and we were without a midfield. Luckily we sold McT who would have helped in this fixture right? Zirkzee got some chances, could have buried one or two but he is new to the league I have time for him.

In the end to bitch also at our shot stopping - regardless of the fact that all three shots on target that resulted in goals were well struck second and third were not perfect placements by the post. A good shot stopper is getting his hand on at lest one of those efforts. Onana is as useful in stopping shots as a sack of potatoes.
Maguire was at fault for the Brighton goal.

Garnacho is still getting back to full fitness.

Player Ratings

4.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 291 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 26% Man Utd 2:1 Liverpool
  • 12% Man Utd 1:1 Liverpool