PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:3 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sun, 01 September 2024

Slot inherited a well oiled machine, we are still dealing with the mess of previous managers and ETHs previous signings. With the way we were opened up 0-3 isn't as bad as it could have been.

Well that was a steaming pile of dogshit.

But not to worry we made progress last season that has continued into this one apparently.
True we have made a lot of progress in the last 18 months. It's obvious. The only problem is it's backwards

Erik's downfall is only having 4 out of 5 Ajax players at the back. It's fecking emberassing honestly.
De Ligt started well but even he quickly came round to our craziness quickly.

Well that was pretty painful to watch. Very little to get excited about. Just an all round terrible display.
So where do they go from here. Back onto the training field and work on understanding what needs to be done to improve. Both individually and collectively.

Only team in the league not to score this weekend

Slot inherited a well oiled machine, we are still dealing with the mess of previous managers and ETHs previous signings. With the way we were opened up 0-3 isn't as bad as it could have been.

What previous managers signings were the issue today?
It’s all on Ten Hag, it’s his third season and we’re seeing the same shit every single year.

Still stubbornly hanging on for a ten Hags interview for some reason...

Can’t use this as an excuse anymore. We are still developing but no Man United team should be losing in this manner to our greatest rival. Ten Hag has spent more than enough money.

ETH is doing a poor job, but the squad is also still poor. How many of our starting players today are actually good enough to compete right now, if you really think about it.

De Ligt, Mazraoui, Dalot (wrong position), and Bruno?

I’m usually pretty upbeat and try to see the positives even in defeat, but honestly that was just awful. Absolutely nothing to get excited about. Just about as abject as a performance can be. We weren’t bad, we were just nothing. :wenger:

The summary of ETH interview on the BBC site is making me want to bash my head against a brick wall

Biggest indictment against this team is Liverpool haven’t made any tactical adjustment playing against United in years.

They haven’t needed to.

I think the question people should ask is how would Gravenberch and McCallister do with Ten Hag as their manager. On paper, Liverpool don't have a ball playing midfielder. Spurs and Arsenal are also in the same boat. Yet United need perfect pieces to have even the slightest bit of control of a game. People need to wake up or it wouldn't take 3 weeks to start bashing our new signings for being poor.

I honestly believe Ten Hag would have had fans questioning Arsenal's, Spurs' and Chelsea's attackers if they were here.

new season same shit
Actually, last season we drew twice in the league and knocked them out in the FA Cup, so this is much worse

Obviously, last season we got those results by parking the bus every single time and exposing weaknesses of the retiring Klopp. Today, Erik tried to go on offensive and play on the front foot, until the moment he brought-in Maguire. Which would have been brave if it had worked. Ended up being moronic, considering the result and all the horrible decisions that lead to it

While ultimately Erik shoulders the blame for that shocking performance, this new fabled footballing department has some serious questions to answer too. 3 games in having Casemiro as our only "defensive" midfielder seems negligent.

Bad call from Erik with Garnacho, I see why he did it, but he's shown nothing in the league to suggest he should have started.

Rashford, better than last game, but still not good enough.

Long season ahead with some of those performances today. Mazraoui, De ligt, Maguire and Diallo the only ones worth the shirt today.

Didn't watch 2nd half, how was collyer?
He was ok. Considering he is a youth player that was thrown under the bus, in the toughest game of the season, while 2-0 down, he deserves praise

Impossible to live it down after seeing Liverpool win 3-0 at Old Trafford.

It's frustrating that our team seems caught between stools. At times we slowly build up, then we race forward, but when we get forward everything slows down again and we look like we are trying to open up impossible angles instead of use the pace in behind that we have.

It's a strange way of playing which means we can go a couple down against Liverpool and not even try testing the goalie even from dangerous areas (Zirkzee misses aside).

Carragher is spitting facts. Hate him. But he’s so right. Ten Hag is not the man to take us forward.

We have a brilliant squad just maybe ETH will get another review by Christmas, let's not wet the bed this early

Brighton and Liverpool aren't easy, plus we have new players to bed in and a new way of playing to adapt to.

It wont happen overnight.

The move it fwd quickly bit is suicidal though if you can't keep the ball. It's why they kept countering us with extra numbers. No one else in the league does it. There's a reason.

Very likely, I'm just holding my hands up to say I didn't see a 0-3 happening after 20-25 minutes. Yes after ten they had had the offside goal but I thought we looked all right. Then it's shocking passes from the back and getting caught on the ball in the middle and before you know it the game has gone. I'm not saying there aren't systemic issues that have still to be fixed, but it didn't feel like another depressing day until the mistakes.

Also we are not scoring enough goals, and that comes both from systemic issues but also some dreadful finishing.

Impossible to live it down after seeing Liverpool win 3-0 at Old Trafford.

It's frustrating that our team seems caught between stools. At times we slowly build up, then we race forward, but when we get forward everything slows down again and we look like we are trying to open up impossible angles instead of use the pace in behind that we have.

It's a strange way of playing which means we can go a couple down against Liverpool and not even try testing the goalie even from dangerous areas (Zirkzee misses aside).
We'll improve. It's just a shit day. I think Liverpool are having a little false dawn today, they're not going to do feck all this year

Different season but same shit.
Should have sacked the imposter at the end of last season itself but new owner did not have the guts.

That's the end of the manager for me. It's not 3 games it's these 3 after last season. I'm seeing nothing better than last season at all. We're looking at another terrible season already

Stupid mistakes, misplaced passes, defenders out of position, lack of creativity, no fire power and a dodgy keeper. Heart breaking stuff. And to top it all off, the scousers were nothing special.

The signing of Onana has been an unmitigated disaster and that is definitely on the manager.
Athletic said he was the lead figure in recruitment again this summer. This squad is his and he seems to have absolutely no clue how to use it

It’s actually mad how bad he is

Like fecking clockwork :lol:
Same shit, so bored of sections of this fanbase. They deserve the shit they get served up.
It's fans like yourself, Ludens, who get excited about sacking managers but do not have a clue who to replace them with.

Then rinse and repeat with the next manager whenever they fail.

The likes of Woodward made a career out of such a punter.

Still, in for a penny, there were some who answered honestly whereas others hid behind rhetoric and emojis.

To those demanding we sack EtH, can you name a practical replacement?

Can you name a candidate and explain to us why they would improve us?

Also, 'anyone' is not an answer. It's hyperbole.

Not playing gotcha. Not being smart. Not saying you can't do it.

Just name a practical replacement and show your working.

Go:
Howe because of what he did with Bournemouth and Newcastle

Casa and Bruno inject so much uncertainty into our game.

Borrowing that Gatusso meme “Sometimes maybe good Sometimes maybe shit”

But apply it to every single action they take on the pitch…especially the basics

The signing of Onana has been an unmitigated disaster and that is definitely on the manager.
Onana and Antony are huge stains on ETHs reputation. It can’t be ignored that they were brought in to fill specific roles and have been very poor.

Player Ratings

4.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 291 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 26% Man Utd 2:1 Liverpool
  • 12% Man Utd 1:1 Liverpool