PL L FA Premier League

Manchester United 0:3 Liverpool

Post-match discussion

Sun, 01 September 2024

They have a likeable manager as well
Doesn't give off the cnut vibes like Klopp did

My fiance broke a 15 minute silence by asking me "Why do you always watch them if they're so sh*t?"

I’ll never have a better opportunity to admit my self-masochism fetish.
Imagine you said “same reason I’m marrying you” with some old 1950s marriage humour. I’d imagine you’d be on the couch indefinitely !

No but honestly that’s a funny response from her. You could be like “because when i love something or someone, i love them to the end”

Arne Slot has talked more sense in this post match interview than Ten Hag has in 28 months. Oh dear.

He sounds like he knows what he is doing , knew exactly how Utd would set up and knew exactingly how Liverpool would go about dismantling us. Made it sound so simple , and it was.

Worst possible result that sets an all too familiar tone for the season. Liverpool weren’t amazing but they ate us alive in the midfield of the park and punished us for our mistakes.

I think Ten Hag has got until end of September to turn this around otherwise he’s gone.

Don’t normally post but just walking along the canal after the game and Jesus, we are nowhere near. They beat us in second gear. He won’t last the season

Same as I wrote after the Fulham win on opening day:

Win, draw or lose, we are a painfully average team with lots of resources.

Caf gets too excited after we win and you're almost not allowed to write stuff like that.

Well, it is what it is.

I was talking to a friend who is a Liverpool fan before the game and I genuinely said to him that I am hoping for a draw but even if we lose I just hope it’s a close loss. I have no hope left from this team & manager. Pathetic

Simply embarrassing, no heart no determination no fight just bunch of spineless players led by a clueless manager

No bull or over excitement from Slot.

Very reasoned. If they weren't winning he would be criticised for lack of emotion.

But he's carried on from Klopp. We just fell apart when SAF left and are getting worse.

If we could start just one season with any sort of momentum I would be quite pleased. In fact, if we could start without multiple (minor and not so minor) disasters each year would also suffice at this point.

Casemiro. Should not see another minute of football this season, if we can offload him to Saudi please please get it done. Week 1 day 1 errors being made by a supposedly experienced professional., Rashford……..why didn’t we get rid of him to PSG for silly money I do not know. Please I’ll drive him anywhere and pay the fuel. Bruno…….hes dropped off massively, and needs to get a grip of himself and stop fecking whinging and get a grip of people ( god I wish Keane was still playing) Ahmad, Mazraoui, De Ligt in my opinion were the only ones that had any respect and tried today. Onana…….im sorry im
Just not seeing it, yes he played a blinder against City in the champs league final it that’s it, he cant stop even the most basic of shots, his command of his area is non existent, DDG would have saved 2/3 of those shots. Our bench is shocking, there is no depth at all. I’m at a loss as to what is happening, what are the players being instructed to do, he isn’t telling players to misplace passes constantly, he isn’t telling players to not pick people up and leave the far post unguarded as the cross comes in etc…….bit in the same vein ETH is playing Rashford when he is shocking, players being subbed when bad performers stay on, and there appears to be no shape or tactics……..WTF You s going on?? If it wasn’t for his success at Ajax and the style of football he delivered I would assume that he had been plucked from the 2nd division. Ineos will not tolerate many performances like this…….and rightly so.

ETH will talk about a few “mishtakes” being punished. Coach it out of them then, or sign players who aren’t prone to mistakes.

I’m so glad I went out to a family event instead of staying at home hating myself more and more as the game went on.

Was it as bad as it looked ?
Not sure it was. Liverpool was the clearly better of two rather uninspiring teams. Match showed the limitations we have but actually, it wasn't anything new.
We can't score goals and we let goals in too easily because we don't attack as a team, we don't keep the ball well, and we don't defend as a unit. We're a mess. The manager and coach can't manage or coach, we don't have actual strikers who score goals, we don't have attackers who want to attack or score or assist, we have midfielders (Cartman) who can't fecking run, we have an attacking mid in Bruno who can't pass and we have a goalkeeper (who we bought for his kicking) who can't or doesn't use his hands.

We've overcomplicated this sport, which at its route is a very simple game. We haven't got square pegs in round holes, we are literally trying to make pasta by following a recipe for mashed potato. It doesn't fecking make sense.
Not sure, this is true. I think, football evolves all the time and we wasted multiple years with yesteryears managers like Moyes, LVG, Mourinho and Ole. It isn't a simple game anymore. Yes, simple gameplans can still be effective here and there, but over the course of a league campaign, teams with better plans will come out on top. With that in mind it should have been clear to anybody that we would fall behind further and further and that, when we finally try to modernize, would suffer. I think, this is what we are seeing right now.
We just need to sell a few players, buy a few new players and have a complete rebuild. It will need to take about 3 years.

When SAF was manager UTD averaged 17 points a season more than Liverpool.

Post SAF Liverpool have averaged 10 points a season more than UTD.

It's just going to take a little time and a couple of signings
Not sure what this is supposed to mean. I mean, United isn't the only player at the table, United could still have SAF at the helm but with Liverpool getting stronger, you could still see the same outcome.
Some fans don't want to hear this, but we will always struggle with Ten Hag as he struggles to adapt to changes made by the opposition during games. The second major issue we have is that outside of dangerous individual performances from our wide players, we really have no route to goal. We spent 90% of the game in our own half, passing around. Its good that we've improved in bringing the ball out, but at the same time, we are wasting so much time doing it without progressing the ball into the opposition half that we can easily get picked out with one mistake. Everyone is going to blame Casemiro, but the truth is our playing style facilitated those mistakes.
Most of our players aren't at all comfortable on the ball and try to avoid handling it under pressure. This will always hurt you. It made the pressing game of Liverpool easier today and completely pulled the plug on ourselves.
The biggest indictment to Ten Hags football is that we struggle when we drop off in energy. A good system will allow for those drop offs and position players to be able able to play at reduced gears. This is why we can't play a good 90 minutes. No team can maintain high energy throughout a game, yet success under Ten Hag in any game depends on high energy levels. Hence the injuries, the inconsistencies, the massive gaps in midfield and the inability to create attacks outside of pressing situations or individual moments. Blame Rashford all you want, but the fault for how we perform lies almost completely with Ten Hag.
Think that oversimplifies the matter, isn't it. Drop offs in energy effect every team, not just ETHs. And looking at it, being not great on the ball nor off the ball, I think, it is only logical that we never reach a point, where we'd be able to take the foot off the gas. This is why so many of us would want to see us at least gaining the ability to control the ball (doesn't even have to be plan A, but at least a capability).

To me, reading the comments in this thread and in the matchday thread, it feels as if people thought this open-heart surgery RR talked about was only about getting rid of a few players to suddenly rise from the ashes. Pretty sure he knew it wasn't going to be just that but a big effort to raise fitness levels of the whole squad, changing mentality and introduce collective playing principles that other teams have going on for years while we just start to use them. ETH really isn't doing a lot to garner any support, I get that, but there is a good chance, that the majority of managers would have to suffer just like him.

Worst possible result that sets an all too familiar tone for the season. Liverpool weren’t amazing but they ate us alive in the midfield of the park and punished us for our mistakes.

I think Ten Hag has got until end of September to turn this around otherwise he’s gone.
If I was Ten Hag (and thank God, I'm not), I would put in my papers today. That was horrendous in every aspect.

Could have ended way worse. At 3 nil they were running wild.

My first post of the new season; I need to vent. That was embarrassing once again against them. Liverpool won at a stroll; they didn’t need to be near their best. Our recent record in this fixture is scandalous and Ten Hag is already responsible for several of our worst ever performances and results against Liverpool. Serious question marks against the guy; three league games in and it already feels like last season. We looked clueless as Liverpool took the piss. Casemiro looks finished; Rashford was a disgrace yet again; Bruno anonymous; the centre backs were ragdolled. It was a complete mess and 0-3 flattered us. I’m very worried and angry. No structure and no tactics, no passion and no quality.

For 10 years the biggest complaint about United has been the lack of a style of play. Today in the first half and 20 minutes especially we were very impressive and you could see the system and style of play the manager wants to get us playing. It also exposed the players not suitable to that system.

My biggest worry is that the result will make him abandon it and resort to a deep counter attacking system, again.

Can’t account for Casemiro making two mistakes. But the big positive today were the buildup play from defence to midfield, the slickness and speed of some of the transitions.

Many of our players in the final third were looking and thinking instead of just doing thoughtless crosses. Yes at times the final pass was not good enough but it’s like retraining people to do the opposite of what they are used to. It takes time or you get red and replace Bruno.

Rashford needs to get dropped. Can’t wait to see Ugarte. Feel bad for Casemiro but he’ll be a great squad option.

Normally defeats are awful. This one is strange because it’s like a flash thunderstorm where you can see the blue skies.

Aaaand Arne Slot just described our entire style of play and how he beat it in less than a minute.
Yep, what an interview. So direct, smart. Letting other teams know how to do it as well.

Keane was so humbled to listen to and talk to him. Probably how he listened to Sir Alex

Erik's downfall is only having 4 out of 5 Ajax players at the back. It's fecking emberassing honestly.

I'm sorry but xG means feck all. How often does a result mirror xG?
Not the biggest xg fan however wouldn't say feck all. Today stats highlights how clinical Liverpool was from chances that came from United cheaply losing the ball. Luis Diaz chances was still harder to score from than Zirkzees.

Just make it to make sense, players in positions, buying players we dont need position wise and regarding game, that one was one hell of a ass whoopin

First 20 minutes looked alright. Yes we conceded and got bit lucky that goal was disallowed but also were decent in possession and pressing. After that players probably couldn't do it on same level against superior side. Casemiro on fault for first 2 goals and then Mainoo for 3rd.

Last season it could've been like this if Liverpool took their chances. They didn't and then their young CB Quansah made a mistake and Bruno punished it. Changed the course of the game but before that they were dominant.

Shame about Zirkzee's chances.

We were inferior today and couldn't play against their press. Whether that's on our players or manager's tactics but it's the reality. Last season was embarassment in terms of inability to control games even against inferior opposition and ten Hag got off the hook because he had injuries as excuse. Won't be the case anymore.

We looked small. Tiny. Weak. Confused.

Our leader chewed his gum and looked even more confused.

On a side note, the tv production never zoom in on Fergie. Guess he just doesn't feel it being worthy any longer. Poor old fantastic man.

Erik's downfall is only having 4 out of 5 Ajax players at the back. It's fecking emberassing honestly.
Wouldn't be blaming ex Ajax players for that defeat today when goals came from a former Real Madrid player whom delivered such embarrassing display that he was lucky he wasn't subbed off before half time. A young lad learning the ropes at fault for the 3rd goal.

Neville talking sense. Salah getting on the ball is a different class to any other attacker on the pitch.

When he gets on the ball on the transition he will kill you

Player Ratings

4.2 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 291 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Liverpool win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 26% Man Utd 2:1 Liverpool