EL D Europa League Match Day 2

FC Porto 3:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 03 October 2024

Rashford was without doubt our best player tonight offensively but you can also understand why he was subbed at half time. Once again his tracking of the Porto full back was non existent and was culpable for there first two goals.

This has to be the straw that breaks the camels back. This has to end. No style of play, substituting insanity. No leadership

There’s a goal in extra time and there’s no time added on? This is a joke

Bruno doesn’t touch the guy and it’s a red.

We blow a 2 goal lead (although for once we actually had defenders by the goal scorers)

Great game imo. You would think there was no VAR and this was 1995 except for out team sulking after the red card
Bruno got two yellows

Just watched the analysis on their first 2 goals and his lack of awareness/ effort in tracking back was disgraceful. He’s pathetic at it.

Just watched the analysis on their first 2 goals and his lack of awareness/ effort in tracking back was disgraceful. He’s pathetic at it.
He literally watched while casually walking. Just shameful.

Obviously ETH still needs to be sacked and I think he will be after Villa, but I'm glad we got that draw purely for the next manager that we're still in with a chance in this competition when whoever it is takes over.

That's if he gets sacked which I'm still not sure is going to happen, particularly if it will cost the club significantly to do it

Things like these have always infuriated me. But I just know they would have hit Højlund.
2takbl97klsd1.jpeg

Rashford was without doubt our best player tonight offensively but you can also understand why he was subbed at half time. Once again his tracking of the Porto full back was non existent and was culpable for there first two goals.
But this is not news, why hasn't ETH addressed this, and if Rashford is not tracking back why oh why do you set up you tactics to have your left back to abandon their position and bomb forward as soon as we get possession.

For me I don't want my front 3 wearing themselves out covering the defence, get the defenders defending, the attackers attacking and keep it fecking simple until we are able to hold a system for more than 2 seconds

Never saw maguire and lindelof (who finished 2nd and 3rd in the prem) get their pants pulled down the way De Ligt and Martinez did tonight. Always said a solid DM in front of them was 10x more important than replacing them at the time.

I know the system doesn’t do them any favours rn but that was as woeful a CB performance from our supposed first choice as I’ve ever seen.

Things like these have always infuriated me. But I just know they would have hit Højlund.
2takbl97klsd1.jpeg

The real shame of this is that Rashford had a big chance to shoot before taking this touch and getting crowded out. I was surprised he didn't but we've seen it from Rashford before, his decision making can leave a lot to be desired at times. He was still by far our best attacker though and it is absolutely bewildering why he got hooked at half time.

But this is not news, why hasn't ETH addressed this, and if Rashford is not tracking back why oh why do you set up you tactics to have your left back to abandon their position and bomb forward as soon as we get possession.

For me I don't want my front 3 wearing themselves out covering the defence, get the defenders defending, the attackers attacking and keep it fecking simple until we are able to hold a system for more than 2 seconds
Finally, some sense. For me, it's the midfield and defensive unit's job. No other wide forward in the Premiership is expected to track back that much.

The real shame of this is that Rashford had a big chance to shoot before taking this touch and getting crowded out. I was surprised he didn't but we've seen it from Rashford before, his decision making can leave a lot to be desired at times. He was still by far our best attacker though and it is absolutely bewildering why he got hooked at half time.

Well he didn’t defend. Little point in being effective one way against a right back playing suicidally central, if you don’t put in a shift the other way.

He’s 8 yards out in the middle of the goal man :lol:
If he’d passed and they have missed, you’d be infuriated he didn’t shoot from that brilliant position.
It's like he's an easy target now (previously Harry M's role). I want our forwards to be confident - he's scored one and set on up so yes, have a go. Plus, he was still our best player over 90 mins and played half.

He was not anything spectacular in attack. Neither of our first two goals had any chance going in if their goalkeeper were not being a moron. And defensively Rashford was a train wreck.

It was not a huge shock that he got taken off

You watch their 90 weekly? Or, is it highlights because at least 2 times tonight Rashford tracked back and got a tackle in... so, with the right cut it looks like he worked both ways today.

Yeah, most weeks. The perils of dating a Gooner. Probably watch them more than United.

Well he didn’t defend. Little point in being effective one way against a right back playing suicidally central, if you don’t put in a shift the other way.

He was not anything spectacular in attack. Neither of our first two goals had any chance going in if their goalkeeper were not being a moron. And defensively Rashford was a train wreck.

It was not a huge shock that he got taken off
True, I can't disagree with the defensive points, but then ETH shouldn't bother starting him if he's a liability defensively, or as any decent coach might do, adapt your system to cover for players like Rashford if you really want to use his strengths in your setup.

I still think compared to the rest of the front line he was far & away the most effective. Not that he shouldn't be expected to put a shift in but by now ETH and we know what you get with Rashford.

No clue what the heck to say. I'm so jaded these days...

Midfield of Eriksen , who plays all the time for some reason.... and Casemiro. That was brutal.

Martinez looks way off. This shite show is probably effecting him mentally and his play. He is such a competitor.

Rashford played well attacking but looked lazy to me, I am reading right that is why he got taken off?

Onana looks like we got a good one. Only positive I can say.

I bet ETH is gone over the Intl break.

edit: Forgot to mention the porto dark arts. Besides the Bruno ghost kick, the Anthony ghost face hit. Need retro cards for that shite. No place in the game.

Finally, some sense. For me, it's the midfield and defensive unit's job. No other wide forward in the Premiership is expected to track back that much.
On the second goal the Porto player was maybe 2-3m away and he just watched him. it’s about effort.

True, I can't disagree with the defensive points, but then ETH shouldn't bother starting him if he's a liability defensively, or as any decent coach might do, adapt your system to cover for players like Rashford if you really want to use his strengths in your setup.

I still think compared to the rest of the front line he was far & away the most effective. Not that he shouldn't be expected to put a shift in but by now ETH and we know what you get with Rashford.
Yeah, Erik's management was beyond horrible and the rest of the team was pathetic as well. Today's game was extremely hard to stomach. The only bright moment was Maguire's super goal :D I gave him the man of the match vote, feck it.

Totally expect Maguire to bench De Ligt going forward and us to revert to park-the-bus + counter football, so we can save Erik's job just a little bit longer. He CLEARLY is unable to play attacking football in this league and with this lot of bottlers, which he either needs to admit or he is gone very very soon (as opposed to just soon)

by being a cnut. he is experienced enough to know that you cannot raise your foot that high anywhere on the pitch
I'm sorry I don't mean to laugh but it's comical. Just seen the red card incident and it's such a big face palm moment.

The captain, our captain. 2 red cards in 2 games. Does not compute.

Sir Jim, please fecking do something at Villa.

Yeah, Erik's management was beyond horrible and the rest of the team was pathetic as well. Today's game was extremely hard to stomach. The only bright moment was Maguire's super goal :D I gave him the man of the match vote, feck it.

Totally expect Maguire to bench De Ligt going forward and us to revert to park-the-bus + counter football, so we can save Erik's job just a little bit longer. He CLEARLY is unable to play attacking football in this league and with this lot of bottlers, which he either needs to admit or he is gone very very soon (as opposed to just soon)

Depressing if his job gets saved much longer

Depressing if his job gets saved much longer
He has very high chance of being gone by Monday, when Aston Villa mop the floor with us

I will be shocked if he is still around past Christmas. And I would bet good money he is not making to the end of the season. The guy has zero ability to compete consistently and this year competition in Premier League is the toughest I can remember for many years. As soon as it's clear he is not making Champions League next year, he is OUT, if not sooner

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 190 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • FC Porto win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% FC Porto 2:0 Man Utd
  • 12% FC Porto 2:1 Man Utd