EL D Europa League Match Day 2

FC Porto 3:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 03 October 2024

He couldn't have looked much more dejected and disappointed.

Pissed me off that our entire team ran off to the corner flag celebrating.

Still 4 mins left. Get the fecking ball and go for the win. Shows the mentality of this squad. A draw is enough.

Ran off celebrating and then retreated to their own 18 to invite pressure. 10 men or not at least have some sort of a go to get the winner, they were well rattled.

Two absolute shite clubs. Bruno was shite and that was never a red. Porto still diving after all these years. Learned well from Mourinho. We are an awful team. Not looking forward to the weekend.
It warranted a yellow and based on two yellows equals a red, yes it was.

People saying this could potentially prolong his job, in my eyes it’s just more ammo to give him the sack.

Yesterday was the first time I can remember that I didn't care if we win or lose...

Was happy with the draw in the end because porto players were such cry babies. Also I don't think there are any positives if anyone is analyzing the performance, so the draw shouldn't have much impact on any decision regarding his future.

Despite being truly awful at times, we did have two spells of 15-23 minutes each were we easily the better side and they were as bad as us - and as stupid: got in front and just tried to sit on it. We didn't deserve to lose.

But, boy, when DeLight and Martinez (Dalot too, really) have bad games, they have real stinkers.

I do wonder if anyone noticed that we were better without Bruno... and that our best (and bravest) CB is... Johnny Evans

That a manager takes off a player who was running riot over the opposition, when the outcome was still in doubt, is mind-boggling.

This. Absolutely. I don't know another manager who would make such a call. Porto were so open at the back, and Rashford was having a great time.

So ETH takes him off.

It's a decision that will elicit further questions. Utter madness.

Before we scored Porto had really good possession and opportunities around our box, then we scored 2 pure Ole-ball goals with a massive dollop of help from their GK, I am 47 yo and I could have saved them! once Porto got past the shock they were the better team again.

I only real threat in attack was Rashford and he was hooked purely for rotation? maybe it was because he didn't put in a shift defensively but then I would rather he stayed attacked with the threat he carried and stop Dalot from bombing out of position all the time, either way with Rashford hooked we were very tepid in attack, we had supposed 29 shots and only 8 on target, and TBH I can only remember Costa having to make 1 decent save.

We got back into the game because Porto decided to try and keep what they had, and other than the Maguire goal they looked pretty comfortable doing it.

I particularly recall at one point they passed (more than once but....) behind our midfield into a massive gap between our mid and defence, and Savage went nuts on it, I just remember thinking we started the season more structured but are moving more and more back into the way we played last season where the defence is left exposed.

Honestly it was a terrible performance barring Rashford in attack, and Maguire's cameo, oh Eriksen was pretty good overall, but other than that everyone else was well below par

So we play a genuine no 9, but fail to have any genuine wing providers or any one that can play into the middle for opportunities. Haarland would seriously struggle with this supporting cast, Citeh at least recognise how to build a line up, enough said, they also have a capable manager who has an idea.

Yeah, that's pretty insane. Rashford was by far our best attacker, and generally has been so far this season. It was a tie game.

I don't fault him so much for the Maguire sub. Harry's certainly far more of a threat than Licha. And both of the starting. CB's we're atrocious today.

We didn't really have many options today, but my goodness Eriksen and Casemiro are slow in midfield. Certainly played a big part in the porous defense. That pairing doesn't work. Play Eriksen at the #10 and give Bruno some rest; guy clearly needs it.

And how about an extra attacker when trailing for once? We always do like-for-like subs.

All in all some continued perplexing management. Does ETH survive the Villa game if we lose?
Agree we had slow players out there and it reflected our style of play. We didn't move the ball quick enough to break them down once we had possession.

I didn't agree with any of the attacking subs (Zirkzee/Antony on). Two more slow players when the midfield is already slow with Eriksen/Casemiro.

I can see why he made them cause they're more possession based players but our biggest threat in the second half was the only pace player we had (Garnacho, who shouldn't have come on for Rashford as you said).

If we lose to Villa I get the feeling he'll still survive it. But obviously can't go on for much longer if it continues, then he'll probably be gone by December

Really pizzed me off last night post match when he said judge me at the end of the season, (and then the best bit) just like last season!

OMG the sheer audacity of the guy, I genuinely thinks he doesn't see a problem with last season.... yeah mate I judged you at the end of last season and wanted you gone, one decent performance to win a cup we should have been knocked out of does not whitewash over everything else.... judge you at the end of the season, feck off if you are here at the end of the season we will be playing in the championship next season!

The absolute gall of him, but worse than that I am coming to the belief that he genuinely thinks we are progressing, that he cannot see what is happening in front of him, and doesn't see the need to make changes to what we are currently doing.

Last night was another example of our 'keystone cops' mentality. It seems nobody has any idea what to do when you go 2-0 up.

When Rashford scored and then made an assist for Hojlund I thought at last he's got his mojo back.
However a few minutes later supposedly in 'defensive mode' (meaning he was lurking in our final third) he lets a Porto player blindside him and amble by him, receive the ball on the edge of our box and unchallenged play a great ball in for them to score.

We know a defensive role is not Rashford's strength, scoring and making assists is, however the fact he seemed totally oblivious to the Porto play behind him, and even when he spotted him moving past, he made no attempt to close him down.

He wasn't on his own some of the 'gaffs' made by our defence was unbelievable, the 'gaps' we left would have been able to be spotted from outer space!

Maguire the 'marvelous' to the rescue, seems the only player we have who can score direct from a corner when the pressure is on.

Crazy to see comments like "this may have saved him the job"?

The game was a failure. It was a shameful performance. We were quite lucky to get our goals while Porto (whose form looks quite awful) overpowered our midfield with ease.

We have 2 points out of 6 in Europa League and that should save him the job? What is going on?

I think Fonseca’s Porto was worse but he had way worse players.

Vitor Bruno seems clueless, no balls at all.
Worse players? Way better defenders (Danilo, Alex Sandro, heck even Mangala looked like prime Baresi next to this current lot) besides Lucho and Jackson..

I expected an easy United win but turns out they are shit too

He was also our biggest attacking threat who Porto couldn't cope with, they coped with Garnacho a lot better. I would be more worried that my actual defenders can't defend. The fact he took him off for tactical reasons was laughable. Took him off and we went behind.
He was but that doesn’t excuse a lack of effort and understanding to help the team when we fragile and everyone knows it.

Crazy to see comments like "this may have saved him the job"?

The game was a failure. It was a shameful performance. We were quite lucky to get our goals while Porto (whose form looks quite awful) overpowered our midfield with ease.

We have 2 points out of 6 in Europa League and that should save him the job? What is going on?
People are going off the apparently low bar that kept him in the job after our worst ever CL and PL campaign last year.

We shouldn't let ourselves forget that we were gifted the first 2 goals. I mean we were spotted a 2 nil lead and then lost 3-1. That's what really happened last night.

Crazy thing is we would of taken a draw before the game. Porto are always a good .Already feel for De Ligt he is going to get targeted by the media and rival fans . But anyone with any football intelligence can see prime Alessandro Nesta would struggle in this set up. Utterly bizarre decision to sub Rashford also.

Last edited:
Defensively yes, otamendi was a beast back then but we had Maicon as well and Lord Lica playing a lot of minutes, than defour, Quintero, even herrera, iturbe, etc lot of average players as well.

Worse players? Way better defenders (Danilo, Alex Sandro, heck even Mangala looked like prime Baresi next to this current lot) besides Lucho and Jackson..

I expected an easy United win but turns out they are shit too

Defensively yes, but we had Maicon as well and Lord Lica playing a lot of minutes, than defour, Quintero, even herrera, iturbe, etc lot of average players as well.

Lucho was not the same he was when he left for Marseille. He was 33.

Last edited:
Different players, same gaps. Forward players pushing up, defenders sitting back. De Ligt is slow, Maraoui is always playing the opposition onside. Martinez not the same player, missing tackles and off the pace of the game. Dalot too high up the pitch when the ball is turned over. Fernandes giving the ball away every time he gets it, which then leads to a run on our goal. It is a carbon copy of last season.

Erikson, Casemiro and Rashford were the only ones who looked like they belonged there tonight. Hojlund is not fully fit and Garnacho was okish. Cut inside everytime which was predictable. Amad did nothing on the other side. He was no threat at all. Zirkzee headless chicken.

And I called the Maguire header as soon as it went out for a corner.

Watching this team is like watching ducklings crossing a motorway.
It is as if you recorded my exact thoughts (every single word apart from calling the Maguire header).

I do wonder if anyone noticed that we were better without Bruno... and that our best (and bravest) CB is... Johnny Evans
What's surprising about that? Players that know what it takes to win stuff are a different breed to those that don't

de Ligt - Struggled aerially. Back to back poor games
Casimero - Coasted through the game in a bad way
Eriksen - Some good passes
Bruno - Deserved his sending off this time
Rashford - Surprised he came off
Garnacho - Lively
Hojlund - Glad to see him get off the mark this season

de Ligt - Struggled aerially. Back to back poor games
Casimero - Coasted through the game in a bad way
Eriksen - Some good passes
Bruno - Deserved his sending off this time
Rashford - Surprised he came off
Garnacho - Lively
Hojlund - Glad to see him get off the mark this season
What about Sir Harry?

A midfield of Casemiro, Eriksen and Bruno is so sloooooooow. In the first half there were so many balls cleared by our defense and Porto were there and we were 3 or 4 steps away. I can't fathom why ETH would think that would work. I think he wants to be fired now.

Isn't it amazing how eth defenders will protest that he needs even more time to build a squad full of players he has recruited and yet it is always the players he didn't sign that have saved his bacon for the past 3 seasons.

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 190 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • FC Porto win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% FC Porto 2:0 Man Utd
  • 12% FC Porto 2:1 Man Utd