EL D Europa League Match Day 2

FC Porto 3:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 03 October 2024

Two absolute shite clubs. Bruno was shite and that was never a red. Porto still diving after all these years. Learned well from Mourinho. We are an awful team. Not looking forward to the weekend.

Rashford was without doubt our best player tonight offensively but you can also understand why he was subbed at half time. Once again his tracking of the Porto full back was non existent and was culpable for there first two goals.

No i dont. If a player if having the performance of his life like Rashfords last night, you DO NOT take him off, period. You think Fergie would sub Ronaldo off at half time? NO. He would ask other players to cover his defensive deficiency instead. I expected nothing from ten hag and still ended up disappointed. Abysmal game management. So stupid.

So Rashford wasn't injured apparently? Ridiculous sub, absolutely ridiculous
Yeah, that's pretty insane. Rashford was by far our best attacker, and generally has been so far this season. It was a tie game.

I don't fault him so much for the Maguire sub. Harry's certainly far more of a threat than Licha. And both of the starting. CB's we're atrocious today.

We didn't really have many options today, but my goodness Eriksen and Casemiro are slow in midfield. Certainly played a big part in the porous defense. That pairing doesn't work. Play Eriksen at the #10 and give Bruno some rest; guy clearly needs it.

And how about an extra attacker when trailing for once? We always do like-for-like subs.

All in all some continued perplexing management. Does ETH survive the Villa game if we lose?

That Samu looks a bargain at £15m
15m for 50%, Porto has the option to buy 15% more for 5m next year and 15% more the next year.

So it’s more 25m € for 80%.

Release clause 100m.

Still a bargain, the guy is been nothing short of amazing, 6 games, 7 goals.

Two absolute shite clubs. Bruno was shite and that was never a red. Porto still diving after all these years. Learned well from Mourinho. We are an awful team. Not looking forward to the weekend.
why do you think both yellow were not yellow? It was a professional foul, then the leg was chest high. Touching or not is never the issue, brainless was

Yeah, that's pretty insane. Rashford was by far our best attacker, and generally has been so far this season. It was a tie game.

I don't fault him so much for the Maguire sub. Harry's certainly far more of a threat than Licha. And both of the starting. CB's we're atrocious today.

We didn't really have many options today, but my goodness Eriksen and Casemiro are slow in midfield. Certainly played a big part in the porous defense. That pairing doesn't work. Play Eriksen at the #10 and give Bruno some rest; guy clearly needs it.

And how about an extra attacker when trailing for once? We always do like-for-like subs.

All in all some continued perplexing management. Does ETH survive the Villa game if we lose?
At last, someone mention Eriksen + Casemiro are slow. Not just slow, but weak defensively as well. With Dalot constantly forward (OK, all out attacking mode, hence 2 goals in front), you are guarantee with big hole at the back. If it was against weaker team, at home, I can understand. But away, against equal if not better opponent, what ELSE do you expect?

15m for 50%, Porto has the option to buy 15% more for 5m next year and 15% more the next year.

Release clause 100m.

Ah OK I didn't realise it was more complex

No i dont. If a player if having the performance of his life like Rashfords last night, you DO NOT take him off, period. You think Fergie would sub Ronaldo off at half time? NO. He would ask other players to cover his defensive deficiency instead. I expected nothing from ten hag and still ended up disappointed. Abysmal game management. So stupid.
Yep.

His treatment of him this has been bizarre over the last few games. He got stick for subbing off Garnacho instead of him against Liverpool so he is now doing weird shit like this.

Blaming Rashford for any of that carnage last night is very odd. Maybe, he's doing it so people forget that the back 4 has been awful all season and one of his new signings defends like a player from the Northern Premier League.

Rashford was wrecking havoc in Porto’s defense, weird substitution.

And like mentioned, Erickson Casemiro midfielder partnership is asking for trouble, they’re so slow, no energy in that midfield.

We used to snatch dramatic late wins against top sides to win titles. Now we snatch dramatic late draws against mediocrities in the Europa League.

The substitution of Rashford reflects the muddled thinking of ETH. Rashford took advantage of the huge amount of space he was given in the first half was easily our most effective attacker: he scored one, made one.

Yes, he also defended poorly in that first half.. and that's the purpose of half-time. You tell him that he is playing incredibly well, but tell him he has to contribute more defensively.

You also address this through your midfielders who should shuffle across to nullify attacks from the flanks. Rashford, Amad, Garnacho, they are not wing-backs!

Just substituting him was a dreadful decision. Poor, poor, poor management. Shows a lack of thinking, reactive rather than thoughtful.

He should have taken off Bruno and played Garnacho as the 10.

And like mentioned, Erickson Casemiro midfielder partnership is asking for trouble, they’re so slow, no energy in that midfield.
I almost suspect that he's actively trying to get sacked so he can return home.

Another crap performance.
Another red for Bruno. Is he going for a record this season?

The substitution of Rashford reflects the muddled thinking of ETH. Rashford took advantage of the huge amount of space he was given in the first half was easily our most effective attacker: he scored one, made one.

Yes, he also defended poorly in that first half.. and that's the purpose of half-time. You tell him that he is playing incredibly well, but tell him he has to contribute more defensively.

You also address this through your midfielders who should shuffle across to nullify attacks from the flanks. Rashford, Amad, Garnacho, they are not wing-backs!

Just substituting him was a dreadful decision. Poor, poor, poor management. Shows a lack of thinking, reactive rather than thoughtful.

He should have taken off Bruno and played Garnacho as the 10.
Absolutely. I remember thinking to myself that hey, another injury, because there was no other reason why he would take off our best player of the game. Sure, defensively not so good but then you tell your LB to PLAY AT LB and not CM?

Horrendous decision IMO because Rashford for the first time in quite some time was owning his defender!

Porto is very good in theatrics, to earn red cards for the adversaries... Check their last 8 games.

No clue what the heck to say. I'm so jaded these days...

Midfield of Eriksen , who plays all the time for some reason.... and Casemiro. That was brutal.

Martinez looks way off. This shite show is probably effecting him mentally and his play. He is such a competitor.

Rashford played well attacking but looked lazy to me, I am reading right that is why he got taken off?

Onana looks like we got a good one. Only positive I can say.

I bet ETH is gone over the Intl break.

edit: Forgot to mention the porto dark arts. Besides the Bruno ghost kick, the Anthony ghost face hit. Need retro cards for that shite. No place in the game.
If Onana is out only positive, we're in big big trouble

Ten Hags press conference was so awkward when asked about it. He claimed the substitution was about rotation and only when pressed on the matter (Rashford not having nearly played as many games as others and thus not needing rotation at half time) as well as a direct question on whether Rashfords substitution had anything to do with his defensive contribution Ten Hag admitted he was unhappy with the latter. I mean, either shoot straight or stick to your rotation story to appease Rashford. (or, you know, don’t sub Rashford and coach him by explaining how to position himself better after half time) But the guy has even lost his own conviction now.

Last edited:
We are being embarrassed week in and week out, and INEOS seem perfectly happy to just let it continue.

I’d like to start enjoying football again - please get rid of him.

Just watched the analysis on their first 2 goals and his lack of awareness/ effort in tracking back was disgraceful. He’s pathetic at it.
He was also our biggest attacking threat who Porto couldn't cope with, they coped with Garnacho a lot better. I would be more worried that my actual defenders can't defend. The fact he took him off for tactical reasons was laughable. Took him off and we went behind.

That a manager takes off a player who was running riot over the opposition, when the outcome was still in doubt, is mind-boggling.

We are being embarrassed week in and week out, and INEOS seem perfectly happy to just let it continue.

I’d like to start enjoying football again - please get rid of him.

As a club I actually think our legends who are now pundits have a lot to answer for.

Since SAF retired, they have perpetuated this nobility of giving managers excessive time even if the writing is on the wall. Like we somehow sit morally above other teams who do this. The fanbase have bought into this, backed up by the SAF where it took him 5 years to really see success, he was the exception rather than they rule though.

Of course ownerships are more then happy to follow this mantra too, it saves them money of course.

As a club, we lack any ambition. We have gone from leagues and champions leagues being the definition of success, to qualifying for top 4, and now arguably top 6 being seen as acceptable.

The fanbases of other teams considered at our level historically (Real, Barca, Bayern etc) would accept this level of mediocrity, why do we?

The whole club stinks.

Odd performance from us.

From looking in control to looking like Sunday league. Baffling how constantly casual we are.

I think individual error's will always be a factor with this squad. We just aren't switched on enough and mentally prepared to win individual battles.

So given that we are always open and always prone to an error - my biggest concern is how tactically open we are. Whether that is indeed manager instructions or players just being mindless i don't know.

I rarely see our back 4 in a unit - a coherent unit where each player knows where the other should be. I see Dalot coming in from LB to Central areas as this "inverted" full back - but what does he actually do there? He's never shows for the ball, when he gets the ball he's quite sloppy with it. It's leaving the Left wing area very exposed to no benefit. He;s just often parked himself in central midfield right next to an opposition player doing absolutely nothing. McTominey mark2. Standing around doing nada.

Because Dalot comes inside - we are unbalanced and that leaves Casemiro (the DM) to think he can roam up the pitch. Eriksen too often drifts forward here. Seeing as our AM, Fernanded is given a seemingly free role he's often out to the RW or further advanced. That means our midfield 3 are absolutely nowhere near where the should be to 1) Receive the ball and dictate play and 2) be positionally correct if we lose the ball.

And we do lose the ball. Because we either try and play out from the back - but we do so soo slow and the CB's are literally begging for movement and have none that they launch it long, or Onana seemingly gives up also and always goes long to the left. Rashford or Garnacho aint gunna win many aerial duals and Dalot is lost in Central Midfield - so on the turnover - we're already at a disadvantage because we are so disjointed positionally.

Casemiro baffles me. He's supposed to be our sitter, our protector. He knows his legs are going. He's never in the DM role. He's always roaming about. What the feck is Ten Hag telling him to do? We are always so open because our players just roam about doing what they want.

Yep.

His treatment of him this has been bizarre over the last few games. He got stick for subbing off Garnacho instead of him against Liverpool so he is now doing weird shit like this.

Blaming Rashford for any of that carnage last night is very odd. Maybe, he's doing it so people forget that the back 4 has been awful all season and one of his new signings defends like a player from the Northern Premier League.
Bizarre indeed. Playing him through thick and thin no matter how bad, and now he's back on form not. He was right though to sub Garnacho against Liverpool - Rashford was much better than him that game.

Release clause 100m.

Didn’t know these sorts of transfers existed anymore tbh

As a club I actually think our legends who are now pundits have a lot to answer for.

Since SAF retired, they have perpetuated this nobility of giving managers excessive time even if the writing is on the wall. Like we somehow sit morally above other teams who do this. The fanbase have bought into this, backed up by the SAF where it took him 5 years to really see success, he was the exception rather than they rule though.

Of course ownerships are more then happy to follow this mantra too, it saves them money of course.

As a club, we lack any ambition. We have gone from leagues and champions leagues being the definition of success, to qualifying for top 4, and now arguably top 6 being seen as acceptable.

The fanbases of other teams considered at our level historically (Real, Barca, Bayern etc) would accept this level of mediocrity, why do we?

The whole club stinks.

Totally agree. I’m so tired of this level of mediocrity every single match and Ten Hag - and the board - being seemingly totally oblivious to it.

Two poorly coached teams. It’s the worst Porto in 30 years…

Wonder if anybody actually celebrated Maguires goal
Pissed me off that our entire team ran off to the corner flag celebrating.

Still 4 mins left. Get the fecking ball and go for the win. Shows the mentality of this squad. A draw is enough.

So you'll just believe any outlet as long as it paints us in a negative light?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I tell that to others, good lord.

If anything it’s putting us in a good light, INEOS not making same mistakes that Glazers have done. We often moan that EtH had full autonomy in transfers and now Tuchel wants full control over transfers & it’s STILL WRONG. Bloody hell.

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 190 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • FC Porto win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% FC Porto 2:0 Man Utd
  • 12% FC Porto 2:1 Man Utd