EL D Europa League Match Day 2

FC Porto 3:3 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Thu, 03 October 2024

I'm sure there was not even one fan who was confident we'll win easily at 2-0 up. It just shows how poor we are atm and can't control games at all, especially away from home. Could've been 4-2 at one point so draw looks even better.

Happy with that Maguire goal and it's a valuable point but adding this game to that list of Liverpool, Twente, Spurs as games that prove ten Hag has to go. It's better to realise you need to sack your manager while drawing than while losing games.

2 points out of 2 Europa games isn't great but not terrible either. Get a good result at Fenerbahce and other games should (at least on paper) be easier.

I don't know how to react to that.

Honestly.

Just... what....I can't....I....

Just...

Can't be too long left for EtH.

But fair play to Harry nicking us that point.

3 best players:

1) Rashford: The best we have seen from him in a long time. Looked liked "himself" again.
2) Eriksen: Involved in all 3 goals we scored.
3) Onana - without being really good. But still made 2 important saves.

3 worst playes:
1) De Ligt: Made so many mistakes and costed us 2 goals.
2) Bruno: The red card and all the poor "panic" shots.
3) Martinez: Many bad decisions. And looked slow.
Just watched the analysis on their first 2 goals and his lack of awareness/ effort in tracking back was disgraceful. He’s pathetic at it.

Different players, same gaps. Forward players pushing up, defenders sitting back. De Ligt is slow, Maraoui is always playing the opposition onside. Martinez not the same player, missing tackles and off the pace of the game. Dalot too high up the pitch when the ball is turned over. Fernandes giving the ball away every time he gets it, which then leads to a run on our goal. It is a carbon copy of last season.

Erikson, Casemiro and Rashford were the only ones who looked like they belonged there tonight. Hojlund is not fully fit and Garnacho was okish. Cut inside everytime which was predictable. Amad did nothing on the other side. He was no threat at all. Zirkzee headless chicken.

And I called the Maguire header as soon as it went out for a corner.

Watching this team is like watching ducklings crossing a motorway.

If a game could sum up life under ETH, this would be it. The promise, the capitulation, the desperation, the just enough :lol:

Chaos ball, out of context a point away from home at Porto is decent.

But in the context of being handed a 2 goal lead and relying on a lastminute goal from a corner to save our blushes, and the utter chaos in defence, its not good. Not good at all.

Also we shouldn't start both Casemiro and Eriksen in the same midfield. One is probably alright most of the time but both is asking for trouble.

Probably not, but with Mainoo carrying a knock you don't want him to get a long term injury. And Ugarte hasn't exactly impressed so far*. Our midfield options just aren't that good at the moment. Still.

They're just going to have to muddle through with what they have, and what they have isn't that impressive.

* I'm not writing him off, but his start has been pretty poor.

Hope it turns out to be a good point but by I really hope Ten Hag isn’t here much longer.

Sick of this awful chaos ball. It’s been over a year of it now.

In isolation a draw at Porto is not a bad result but I thought they were actually pretty poor and we had the gift of a two goal lead so it’s another bad night for Ten Hag.

The biggest concern for me right now is the De Ligt Martinez partnership.

In midfield and attack I think there is at least a way forward in the short-term: we should just get some legs around Eriksen and let him run things for a while and up top Rashford looking in better form so keep picking him.

We’re in for a rough few weeks if the defence keeps shipping goals like this though.

Very disappointed with the performance, especially after a great start, the crowd was quiet, just how you want it, then total collapse. The only positive for me was that we got a draw against a team that has form for S**thouseary. The incident with Antony was typical Porto, and for me this is where VAR should intervene and punish players that cheat. I have no complaints against the Bruno sending off, you don’t get away with putting your foot up in euro games.

3 best players:

1) Rashford: The best we have seen from him in a long time. Looked liked "himself" again.
2) Eriksen: Involved in all 3 goals we scored.
3) Onana - without being really good. But still made 2 important saves.

3 worst playes:
1) De Ligt: Made so many mistakes and costed us 2 goals.
2) Bruno: The red card and all the poor "panic" shots.
3) Martinez: Many bad decisions. And looked slow.
marcus was the issue with the first two goals b/c he didn't track or make any attempt at all to stop the cross from coming in...if he's not going to defend then move him next to Rasmus if we insist on playing 442 defensively and at least give us a player on the outside who will defend

De Ligt was poor on the second goal bc he got caught ball watching and bruno needs to be benched

but how can you leave Diallo off the list??? he did feck all

This Porto team are pretty bad, not gonna lie. I reckon most top half Premier League teams would have defeated them.
ETH's bought himself another 5 games.
Porto's finances are so bad they had to rely on last minute devalued players, decent players from our league and scrap the b team to make a full squad this season.
That back 4 is probably the worst defenders I've seen in a porto shirt on the last 20 years or plus, which shows how much of a disjointed team we are right now.

Lucky to be 2 nil up, lucky not to be 4 - 2 down, absolutely fluking a draw, absolute shite again, formation all over the shop, spaces for players to run into, terrible, get ETH out now

He just said Rashford wasn't injured and came off because Garnacho had to come on. I agree Garnacho deserves time on the pitch, but taking off the only obvious threat for that reason seems crazy.

Absolute chaos!

It isn't good enough but at least the players kept going. It's a good point for the next manager to take further into the Europa League campaign. Feels like EtH is on borrowed time, although a shock win at Villa would be hilarious.

The process is alive and well. Viva Ten Hag.

Seriously though I think most PL teams beat this Porto team tonight. It's a really poor team. Usual stuff from us, massive gaps, allowing crosses in too easy. Really disappointed in Casemiro, his days at this level are surely gone. Martinez all over the place again. De Ligt too. Glad Bruno will get his little rest. Hojlund was a positive on his first start of the season.

Looks like Ten Hag will get the Villa game at least.

Reactions: jojojo
Awful performance again. Totally incomprensible decisions from ten Hag but at least we're used to that. The biggest problem is -and tells a lot about the current United- that even when we were 2-0 up I wasn't sure if we can win this game. We're at the point when we can't play it safe against anyone. This match was just one more nail to the coffin of ten Hag. Hopefully.

Obviously ETH still needs to be sacked and I think he will be after Villa, but I'm glad we got that draw purely for the next manager that we're still in with a chance in this competition when whoever it is takes over.

All over the place. Absolutely no style or tactics to see here. Lucky Ten Hag again though, that goal will buy him some time. Maybe even until the fans have had enough and let the owners know it.

I feel that because Ten Hag has choreographed attacks.... When the game gets end to end it's just not possible for the players to continue playing drawing board football, as soon as control is lost they can't recover it.

It's why we concede when we scored, or concede more when we concede, we simply can't change gameplans, when the game changes materially.

It can't go on. He's not able to even get players he wanted playing. That's too worrying. When Martinez and De Ligt can't even have a decent game together you know it's fecked.

Onana saved us so many times today again. From 2.0 up we were shocking defensively.

We showed no intuition or game management at all. We just carried on playing the same way and left ourselves open to counters.

I think INEOS will have made their mind up today that there's other managers in world football that would have done better today, given the starting lineup and the bench.

I don't see how a win vs Aston Villa changes anything. If he wins that and we still keep him.... Then he really is a cat with 9 lives.

I don't want him to fail or be sacked but at some point you can't just have blind faith in the guy due to seeing the same repeated poor performances and game management.

Just watched the analysis on their first 2 goals and his lack of awareness/ effort in tracking back was disgraceful. He’s pathetic at it.
He doesn't give a damn about defending from open play, and that's why they were constantly crossing the ball from the right hand side.

So Rashford wasn't injured apparently? Ridiculous sub, absolutely ridiculous
From what I've heard he wasn't. I've heard that he had been taken off because he didn't do enough to help out Dalot defensively. As Dalot isn't a natural LB he sometimes needs help and Rashford should have done that, ten Hag gave him this task. But he failed. Don't know if that's the truth but in fact the first 2 goals we conceded came from our left side.

In isolation a draw at Porto is not a bad result but I thought they were actually pretty poor and we had the gift of a two goal lead so it’s another bad night for Ten Hag.

The biggest concern for me right now is the De Ligt Martinez partnership.

In midfield and attack I think there is at least a way forward in the short-term: we should just get some legs around Eriksen and let him run things for a while and up top Rashford looking in better form so keep picking him.

We’re in for a rough few weeks if the defence keeps shipping goals like this though.
Agree 100%. Their keeper handed us our first half goals. More legs in midfield is essential if we're going to have movement and overloads, and Eriksen is our only midfield conductor at the moment. CBs a worry too. Martinez' pace in the interceptions when reading danger is key to his game, plus his passing through the lines. If he can get back to his pace he will come good hopefully.

I feel that because Ten Hag has choreographed attacks.... When the game gets end to end it's just not possible for the players to continue playing drawing board football, as soon as control is lost they can't recover it.

It's why we concede when we scored, or concede more when we concede, we simply can't change gameplans, when the game changes materially.

It can't go on. He's not able to even get players he wanted playing. That's too worrying. When Martinez and De Ligt can't even have a decent game together you know it's fecked.

Onana saved us so many times today again. From 2.0 up we were shocking defensively.

We showed no intuition or game management at all. We just carried on playing the same way and left ourselves open to counters.

I think INEOS will have made their mind up today that there's other managers in world football that would have done better today, given the starting lineup and the bench.

I don't see how a win vs Aston Villa changes anything. If he wins that and we still keep him.... Then he really is a cat with 9 lives.

I don't want him to fail or be sacked but at some point you can't just have blind faith in the guy due to seeing the same repeated poor performances and game management.

It’s been blind faith since the middle of last season, if not before. The right point to sack him has been and gone but the next best time is now.

He’s not good enough. It’s glaringly obvious and has been for ages.

INEOS had the chance to sack him and instead, stuck with him and he became their man.

They bottled it. Massive black mark against them for me.

The sad thing is being 2 up was a shock rather than expected and the final score was what was expected. Strange team . in game management and subs, especially Rashford. Defence again was shocking. THwill not be this fortunate against the Villa

Player Ratings

4.9 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 190 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • FC Porto win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 16% FC Porto 2:0 Man Utd
  • 12% FC Porto 2:1 Man Utd