PL D FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 21 September 2024

Should have won in first half with 3-4 goals. Should have lost in second. Eriksen going out made us static with zero movement.

All mouth, no trousers.

Best football in 18 months in that first half. Should have easily scored 4 goals. Mainoo, however looks poor. Very worrying.

Philosophy is similar, he just has better players. Give LVG a Garnacho and prime Bruno over Lingard and see what happens

It's not remotely similar. Again, I wonder if you lot even remember watching us under LVG
That chance that Zirkzee created in the second half, in acres of space he decided to shoot with outside of his boot first time, had me shaking my head. WFT was that about?? He could just easily take a touch and smash it with his left foot.

His finishing is so much more erratic than it was in his early years here.

that was absolute arse but 100% we’d have lost that game last season. Also if Olise was still playing for them… ? He’s currently a lot better than any of our attackers sadly. The defenders look a lot more assured. De Ligt and Maz are good and calm on the ball and strong in the challenge. They are making Onana look better too.

Yeah just not even close. Comments like these make me wonder if people even fecking watch

Opinions and arseholes we all have them, it reminded me of LVG's United.

I thought we played brilliantly in the first half but lacked that cutting edge, in the second half we controlled the game outside of a couple of moments but were about as sharp as a spoon.

Eriksen and Zirkzee were very good and them coming off killed our attacking flair.
Onana man of the match for the double save.
Bruno was very poor.
Licha was good other than his Rojo moment.
Mazraoui is proving to be astute buy.

Agent Wharton was doing great for us till Palace sussed him out and took him out of play

You can see the vision starting to show through. We looked pretty good in fairness.. but the lack of proven striker will cost us. If we have Harry Kane upfront we win that game.

The starting 11 looked good. Once ugarte is up to speed he may take Eriksens spot. We really do miss a top striker though, will be our down fall.

Excellent first half complete control but playing in 2nd gear. Should have taken our chances. Erikson is still class and brings control.
Second half poor. No threat at all. Martinez slowing the game down far to much, bring it out quicker for gods sake.. Palace could have win it.

Onana outstanding double save and good passing all game. Clear motm.

Bruno somehow manages to have great technique and terrible technique at the same time. He's capable of the utterly sublime one moment and then 5 seconds later he'll scuff a simple ball.
Personally think that means he's just average technically but has a great brain for ideas in what might work. He's great as a creator (normally) because he sees things better than others and goes for it, not because his execution is top tier or anything. Very rarely will I watch a Bruno game and think he looks super sharp in all actions.

You need to stop watching our games. That was pretty much the exact moment we started playing like shit, so I'm blaming you. :lol:
I watched three games this season, including preseason.

0W - 1D - 2L.

I'm the one who's getting ten Hag sacked.

I'm reading that we were excellent in first half.

I didn't watch, but come on - you're excellent when you score at least one goal. We drew 0:0, hardly excellent.

The standards have been so low at this club, seriously.

Do you still watch when it's 0-0? That was gash.
Henderson played out of his skin. He'll let in 4 the next game.
I'd have taken a draw beforehand. We could have been 3 or 4 up at half-time. Good performance. Lacking finishing but Henderson reviving the game raising spirit of Brad Friedel was out undoing.
Controlled most of the game. Naturally Henderson played a worldie and ultimately made the difference. Garnacho was brilliant first half, Mainoo and Eriksen solid in the middle. Defense not giving away 30 shots during the game. I am taking all this as a positive, but we badly need a top class experienced striker.
We shot straight at Henderson all game.

Same old, innit. Just unlucky, that's literally the only explanation for the same problems repeating. It can't be down to the useless fella in charge of the team

Poor final twenty minutes. Very good first half. I dont know, i just dont think we have the will to win like we had under ferguson and like city have.

Same old, innit. Just unlucky, that's literally the only explanation for the same problems repeating. It can't be down to the useless fella in charge of the team
Yeah nothing has changed whatsoever. This is literally the same old stuff we saw last time at Selhurst.

Annoying. I think the set up and tactics was easily enough to win.

The positive is that the first half was brilliant except we failed to score. Good balance, good press, lots of desire. In the second half, we dropped off, they made two subs we couldn't adjust to, and we let them in the game.

Onana was brilliant again and literally saved us with that double save. Defence was pretty solid, I thought Bruno was our weakest player today and should have been changed. When Zirkzee came off, our link up top went and Hojlund far off match fitness.

I'd take this as long as it's a platform to build on. I want to see us play football and dominate games and today I think I saw half of this.

Not clinical enough going forward, 100% an improvement on last season, not sure what had happened to Bruno but he needs to start sparking. Maybe we should try ZZ as an AM? some get me wrong I’m not knocking him, he’s defensively a decent player, he just doesn’t scream all out striker, ZZ just behind Rasmus and Garnacho and Rashers on the wings. Remember when we used to have goals all over the park, if the strikers weren’t firing on all cylinders, payers would chip in with goals as well……..we just seem toothless and not ruthless.

Funny thing is, for all our 1st half dominance, those two Palace chances in the 2nd half were the best two chances in the whole game.

1 miracle follow-up save from a sitter
1 Eze sitter who didn't realise that 3/4 of the other side of the goal was gaping

We didn't take advantage of a toothless Palace performance in the first half. We played well, but they were nothing.

Will Hughes came on for them and the game changed. Our midfield went missing and it became an equal contest.

ETH does.not know what his preferred team is, or how he wants us to play. His substitutions are bewildering.

We're going to be the same as last season from what I have seen so far this season. Some v good, a lot v average, and some v v bad.

We shot straight at Henderson all game.
Shot at Henderson :lol: he needed to reach to palm out two Garnacho efforts, then Garnacho and Bruno both hit the woodwork, De Ligt hit the woodwork and Henderson made a fingertip save to keep out a zirkzee effort close to goal (think it went off the palace defender).

But no sure we just shot at him all game.

Personally think that means he's just average technically but has a great brain for ideas in what might work. He's great as a creator (normally) because he sees things better than others and goes for it, not because his execution is top tier or anything. Very rarely will I watch a Bruno game and think he looks super sharp in all actions.
He has good technique for certain through-balls and long balls, but then close control and short passing can be poor.

Very good first half, poor second half, atrocious final 30 minutes pissing around at the back.

Bruno was genuinely appalling.
Both full backs were good.
Eriksen good.
Didn't want Ugarte or that profile of midfielder, he was useless but still very early.

He's isnt going to look great in a game where we have 70% of the posession.

We need an Eriksen regen. Who is the closest thing to that?

Can we not? Our performance falling off a cliff was a direct result of his substitutions. You don't just sub off your best player until that point in the game and leave Bruno on who's having a complete nightmare.

As I mentioned, I agree that Zirkzee should have stayed on, but he was on for most of the game and we didn’t score. Therefore, from Ten Hag’s perspective, bringing on Rashford made sense, given his recent decent goalscoring form—it could have been the difference.

It didn’t work out, but as I said earlier, the game should’ve been wrapped up well before that.

When you think about it we just have zero difference makers. Either young promising players or inconsistent shite that have plagued us for years. Going to take a long while for us to have a squad we feel we can do something. I’d rather wait than get in a “difference maker” like Cavani or Casemiro who can help us get top 4 but then quickly become deadwood, but still it’s difficult watching. Cup games may be more fun, like last year.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 235 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 31% Crystal Palace 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Crystal Palace 0:2 Man Utd