PL D FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 21 September 2024

One of the best team performances for some time and the defence now looks harder to break down (except for the Saar moment). Both CB's were good again, but as I've been saying for months (and getting abuse from some here for): where are the goals going to come from?

We need an experienced No.9, a sort of Vardy character, or find a hidden gem somewhere. (failing that a recognised scoring midfielder like Florian Wirtz)

Quite honestly we need both of those things but don't see any urgency to sign either whatsoever

Still miffed at the fact we dropped points here, we should've buried them, missing chances will surely result in not only draws, but also losses, we could dominate the game against Twente but they can beat us if we continue to miss chances and if they generate one decent chance and score we are in trouble

I thought we were poor in this game and wasteful in possesion (with Bruno giving the ball away about 34 times) and barely threatened Hendersons goal, Palace had the better chances and would have won if not for Onana pulling off a great double save.
What game were you watching? We weren't great in the second half and Palace had the better chances in that half, we absolutely battered them in the first half though, with quite a lot of threat to Hendersons goal.

Not to say that's an excuse for going down to first gear for most of the second half, poor subs and not adapting to the Palace changes. We definitely weren't poor as whole though and certainly threatened Henderson's goal, he was given man of the match by the pundits.

What game were you watching? We weren't great in the second half and Palace had the better chances in that half, we absolutely battered them in the first half though, with quite a lot of threat to Hendersons goal.

Not to say that's an excuse for going down to first gear for most of the second half, poor subs and not adapting to the Palace changes. We definitely weren't poor as whole though and certainly threatened Henderson's goal, he was given man of the match by the pundits.

We managed only 6 shots on target in 90 odd minutes with most of them easy for Henderson to save because of our horrendous finishing, this was Palace's first clean sheet of the season and even newly promoted Leicester managed to score 2 against them at Selburst Park so its not like we can even claim they are hard to score against.

Only watched the game now and we were quite good as others already said. Shame about those big chances missed but I'm happy as long as performances keep improving. Last season was bad because we finished 8th while being all over the place, performances were awful. This looks better though it's only 3 games and against weak opposition (Palace haven't started the season great either).

We managed only 6 shots on target in 90 odd minutes with most of them easy for Henderson to save because of our horrendous finishing, this was Palace's first clean sheet of the season and even newly promoted Leicester managed to score 2 against them at Selburst Park so its not like we can even claim they are hard to score against.
There were two efforts off the bar and the Bruno outside of the foot effort as well that won't be on target efforts, and all should have been buried.

I'm not going to argue the finishing needs to be better than it was. I don't think we were poor in terms of performance level or as a threat to the Palace goal though (with the exception of not actually scoring a goal), at least not for the first 60 minutes of the game...

The standard definitely dropped in the second half though and we allowed Palace into the game. I hope this was tactical and a result of our questionable manager not having a plan B to counter Palace's changes. Because if it was the players dropping in their level of application, or being satisfied with a point away to a shite team, that's totally unacceptable.

If we'd scored even one and won the game, the narrative would have been very different. That doesn't excuse the fact we didn't though, and I totally take your point that even a newly promoted team were able to stick a couple away against them.

Like a few of the games this season the game metrics have seen a massive shift since the corresponding fixture last season

I’m not saying we’re brilliant and the results haven’t been shite but the narrative that it’s the same old tactics as last season is way off the mark

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 235 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 31% Crystal Palace 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Crystal Palace 0:2 Man Utd