PL D FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 21 September 2024

The one missed chance that pisses me off is the Bruno shot with the outside of his right foot. It was either arrogance or cowardice that led him to take that shot in that way. It’s a shot with no power and from that distance almost no chance of beating the keeper.

I don't think that's a bad result for a side with top 4 aspirations.

Spurs on Sunday is must win though. A point at home isn't going to cut it.
Context is key. Palace have started the season poorly and were there for the taking.

This is on Ten Hag. Poor decision to sub Zirkzee. It killed off our attacks momentum. The guy might not be scoring lots but his link up play is good. Thought Mainoo is off the pace and should be off early instead.

Agree, that's when the game turned. Zirkzee is elite in connecting everything and created two of the best chances of the game himself.

Honestly I didn't think the game at that point needed subs. We were still controlling and creating very well.

I think he should have taken Amad or Garnacho off for Rashford, just some fresh legs on the wing. With subbing Zirkzee our whole game changed and for once our football was actually working so there was no need for changing it.

I think Eriksen needs to be subbed as he just played full 90 minutes in midweek. But if anyone else needs to be subbed, it's Bruno. Fecking atrocious performance

I've said Bruno has had a terrible start to the season so far yet the brigade came out after a couple of assist when we were smashing Barnesley in the 80th minute so...

But yes if that's going to be your best player and "magnifico" he can't be looking the least sharp of anyone in the front 4.

Very unlucky to not have been 3 or more up in the first half. Wonderful football.

Second half was shite.

We played well for most of the game, we certainly overcomplicated play at times and players acting like we were 6 up.
This shows how important it is we can get someone else in like Eriksen because as soon as the likes of himself, Zirkzee and Amad went off we pretty much lost all control. Players who could get on the ball and keep it moving and recirculate it when nothing was on.

The way we want to play should be more clear to the people that said they can’t see it and it doesn’t exist as that was more akin to the way we want to play.
Meh the season is young. You’re more likely to get top four playing well than scraping wins because eventually poor performances catch up with you. There’s a lot of posters on here saying they can’t support ten hag not because of results, but because of style. Well today we had the style, just couldn’t get over the line on the result, but if we play like we did today all season, we will get top four 100%.

Unfortunate not getting the win here. Last 20min was quite poor. Starting too slow from the back. Bruno very average this game. Lots of good things to take with us from this game.

A game that we should have won but by the end, it could have gone to them. We controlled the game for most of the match and should have buried them but it wasn’t meant to be for us in front of goal today. Last 20min were tough once Hughes came on. We lost our control and they looked more threatening. Martinez was maybe lucky to get away with a booking for that tackle. He didn’t tough the player so that’s what might have saved him but it was wild.

A draw is disappointing, looking at table we needed a string of wins but it’s not a disaster, it’s certainly better than last time.

Strange game. Some good stuff first half, finishing as poor as it's been. Second half could have been more of the same but subs sucked the life out of us and we set up to accept the draw.

I wanted Rashford on in the second half, but felt pushing Garnacho out to the right killed our momentum. Team couldn't kick on from that point and the whole thing turned stagnant and we lost any urgency.

Bruno was also completely garbage.

Disappointing not to win, scoring goals looks like it may be an issue but on the flip side we could’ve lost and there are signs our football is improving.

We saw in the Southampton and Barnsley games what taking a chance does for you in terms of even more space opening up. We made more than enough chances first half to win this game and more importantly a 1-0 or 2-0 lead at half time leads to even more space second half.

What’s disappointing is that Glasner adjusted at half time and fixed their issues and we couldn’t change again to create more problems.

I don’t buy into the ‘we lost 4-0 so this is an improvement’ rhetoric but our away form has been awful in recent years so getting 4pts from the last two is better even if those teams are right down the bottom of the league.

Despite everything I think you can make an argument that we could easily be on 9,10 or even 12 instead of 7. If the Garnacho/Zirkzee offside hadn’t happened or we’d taken our chances today. We are creating a lot more chances generally but we need someone to finish regularly.

Poor, poor squad selection from ETH. Dropping Ugarte and Rashford from midweek.
Then, obvious to everyone watching, Bruno was atrocious and should have been subbed after 30 minutes, how he stayed on the pitch baffled me.
Then taking off Zirkzee who was holding the ball up and creating passes was crazy and still keeping Bruno on? Holy crap.
United will never compete for the title while Bruno is made the focal point and can never be dropped. He's holding United back, just not good enough.

Bad, bad result today. This is on ETH.

5 games in and the league is essentially a bust, Europa League is our best bet for a CL place
The league was a bust zero games in. We were never going to do anything in the Premier League this season.

7 points from 5 games is about as good as we could have realistically hoped, considering our squad and manager.

The fact Bruno stayed on with arguably our best player until then (Zirkzee) coming off was insanity.

People will blame EtH's 'game management' but he set us up perfectly today. The players bottled their chances.

This means changes are rather enforced than factored. Players then proceed to lose focus.

If 'my auntie had balls' and such, but just watch Liverpool earlier. They concede an early goal (disallowed) but proceed to dominate, score the first goal and then go on the rampage. They lost last week at home and have won two serious matches handsomely since.

It's about mentality and I'm not convinced anyone in our forward positions are good enough to take us forward. The mostly lauded JZ included.

I think he should have taken Amad or Garnacho off for Rashford, just some fresh legs on the wing. With subbing Zirkzee our whole game changed and for once our football was actually working so there was no need for changing it.
Hojlund is nowhere ready, bringing him on helped nothing. Bringing Rashford centrally was horrible, moving him wide and bringing Hojlund didn't help, either. Our attack became toothless. Amad, Rashford, Hojlund all had bad games, so can't entirely blame Erik. Not like he can play instead of them

The first 60 mins was the best we have played under Erik Ten Hag since he joined then he ruined it with the subs. Finally put Rashford on the bench and surprise surprise we looked coherent. We didn't score but we had chances aplenty.

Next mission is to chuck Bruno where he belongs on the bench and go with a standard 4-3-3 with a starting midfield 3 of Mainoo, Eriksen and Ugarte.

We just have to be more clinical in front of goal. It’s ok putting 7 past Barnsley but these are the games where 1-0 could turn to 2-0 if you just find that break through. We should have been out of sight at half time.
Liverpool game aside and we look a completely different side to last season however the pressure could be straight back on Ten Hag if he doesn’t get a result in either of the next 2 league games.

Excellent first half. Finally starting to see what ten Hag is trying to build. The passing and moving were brilliant, the finishing less so.

Game changed when Zirkzee came off. Could barely play passes together anymore and it was a horrid watch. Onana saved us from losing with that excellent double save.

Last 10-15 mins was horrid. Not sure if anyone wanted to win the game. Martinez walking with the ball annoyed me. They went into a low block and we went into LVG mode. I would have expected someone like Bruno to make something happen, but he did shit all.

Can understand the subs as fatigue had set in for the guys coming off, although I would’ve hooked Garnacho instead of Amad, but we lost Eriksen’s penetrative passing and Zirkzee knitting together our attacks. Completely blunt afterwards but an otherwise very good performance.

I thought a loss was coming after missing so many chances.

I watched the last 20 minutes.

I knew we were shite, but I didn't think we were so shite.

There's absolutely no point in watching our games.
Actually we were very good first half. Manager bringing on Rashford ruined our play.

The only sub he should have made, was Ugarte for Eriksen because it was becoming obvious Palace were breaking to easily.

if its any consolation last season we lose that game.... still, feck

Bruno's outside of the boot is giving me flashbacks of all those lobs Rooney attempted. I can't remember it ever coming off.

Around when I thought ETH would start making subs, I was happy that Mctominay was no longer here, because he would get subbed on and unbalance the team, yet ETH still managed to do that. I honestly don't get his subs, they regularly seem to make the team worse.

Philosophy is similar, he just has better players. Give LVG a Garnacho and prime Bruno over Lingard and see what happens
I mean it's obviously not. LVG has Di Maria and didn't give him any freedom to create. He had a lot of good players and never let them leave zones. He was terribly rigid.

This is on Ten Hag. Poor decision to sub Zirkzee. It killed off our attacks momentum. The guy might not be scoring lots but his link up play is good. Thought Mainoo is off the pace and should be off early instead.

I agree that Zirkzee shouldnt have been taken off, but we can't blame ten Hag that we didnt get the win. We should have had the game wrapped up way before Zirkzee went off.

I know everybody is frustrated (me also), but last time we lost 4-0 to Palace and got zero points.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 235 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 31% Crystal Palace 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Crystal Palace 0:2 Man Utd