PL D FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 21 September 2024

Very good first half, poor second half, atrocious final 30 minutes pissing around at the back.

Bruno was genuinely appalling.
Both full backs were good.
Eriksen good.
Didn't want Ugarte or that profile of midfielder, he was useless but still very early.

I've said Bruno has had a terrible start to the season so far yet the brigade came out after a couple of assist when we were smashing Barnesley in the 80th minute so...

But yes if that's going to be your best player and "magnifico" he can't be looking the least sharp of anyone in the front 4.
That chance that Zirkzee created in the second half, in acres of space he decided to shoot with outside of his boot first time, had me shaking my head. WFT was that about?? He could just easily take a touch and smash it with his left foot.

This game was one of our best performances yet but unfortunately our players couldn't convert their chances. There's nothing Ten Hag could have done about that.

Decent first half, dreadful second half. Draw was a fair result overall, but we'd have been out of sight by halftime if we had a single reliable goalscorer at the club (no, Ruud doesn't count).

I thought our midfield would hurt us but we created more than enough to win the match, we just cannot finish chances as usual. This will never not be a problem with this crop of players.

Not sure she to say about that. Really good performance for most of the game, but no goals obviously means it was far from perfect. And yet somehow the fact that our biggest strength, how we controlled the game, was our biggest weakness last year means I can be glass half full about it.

Defence looked solid. Both full backs were excellent and De Ligt was really good too. In midfield Eriksen had a good game. Mainoo was ok.

I liked Zirkzee's performance up to a point, but he didn't quite click with the other attackers. Somehow he occupied the same space as them a bit too often. I can chalk that up to him being new though and then getting to know each other.

Amad worked hard but it never really worked for him. Garnacho was ace, very unlucky not to score.

Bruno had an off day. Not a stellar start to the season for him.

Disappointed with how we ended the game, it just petered out. I think the change from Zikzee to Rashford was fine on paper, but we lost a lot of threat and control in dangerous areas.

Overall, plenty to chew over, but far more good than bad.

Context is key. Palace have started the season poorly and were there for the taking.
Yeah people don't realise this, the only wins Palace have this season are against Championship teams in the EFL cup. They drew against Leicester and lost to West Ham and Brentford.

This was an embarrassment, the setup was completely wrong once again and as usual no change. ETH needs to go now. He doesn't get it, let him win his so called cups in another league! LOL!

Good signs. Of the first 11 Bruno is a clear weak link. He's so poor technically.

Subs just reverted the team to last season's nightmarish stuff. That would be expected when you take off three of the four main players who are really sound on the ball (Mainoo being the fourth)

We really should have been out of sight in the first 45. If we keep creating like that it will start turning into 3 pointers more regularly

What a waste. The subs just killed this game.

Also, Bruno and Mainoo need to stop fecking around with the ball and making unnecessary dribbles and extra touches. Just shoot it when the opportunity is there.

Zero goal difference, 5 goals in 5 matches, 7 points out of a possible 15, 11th position on the table. New season, same dump. I guess I was way too optimistic with the 6th place finish I predicted before the season.

I agree that Zirkzee shouldnt have been taken off, but we can't blame ten Hag that we didnt get the win. We should have had the game wrapped up way before Zirkzee went off.
Can we not? Our performance falling off a cliff was a direct result of his substitutions. You don't just sub off your best player until that point in the game and leave Bruno on who's having a complete nightmare.

I thought our midfield would hurt us but we created more than enough to win the match, we just cannot finish chances as usual. This will never not be a problem with this crop of players.
Considering it was a huge problem under OGS and Jose, I'm convinced it's an ongoing mentality issue.

Hearing some fans thing RVN will replace EtH.

It's hames like tonight which will ultimately fell EtH. RVN is already coaching finishing so why some fans want him instead is beyond me.

I think there's visibly a massive difference from last year. We really should have won that game, it is so frustrating. Zirkzee should have been left on. Baffled that Rashford didn't start this game. I would have preferred to see him start as Garnacho has been fantastic coming off the bench. But very poor subs from ETH. He should rightfully start coming under pressure. It's his third year now. Playing for a draw is not what big teams do. Big teams could play worse today than us but still come away with a 2-0 win. We are not there yet and I'm not sure we ever will if we don't start throwing caution to the wind somewhat.

Compare last year's palace to this season's palace and it's two points dropped.

Seriously, ETH wasn't even urging players to push foward with 10 mins to go. I don't think Erik's house has a spare kitchen sink. What kind of manager do we have? Zero passion, zero emotion, zero impact. We hire a robot and assume there is some intelligence to make this team great. I don't see him completing his contract. Wrong hire and we decide to keep him.

People will blame EtH's 'game management' but he set us up perfectly today. The players bottled their chances.

This means changes are rather enforced than factored. Players then proceed to lose focus.

If 'my auntie had balls' and such, but just watch Liverpool earlier. They concede an early goal (disallowed) but proceed to dominate, score the first goal and then go on the rampage. They lost last week at home and have won two serious matches handsomely since.

It's about mentality and I'm not convinced anyone in our forward positions are good enough to take us forward. The mostly lauded JZ included.
Part of being a good manager is being able to react successfully to how the game develops.

Ten Hag has failed in this aspect today.

That said, our inability to finish is indeed another teething issue.

Very good first half performance. Shame we let it drop as the game went on.

Overall, decent enough result - we'll have much worse ones (and already have!) than a draw away at Palace - and one I'd have accepted before the game. Though having dominated the first half as we did, it feels disappointing that we didn't get what we deserved.

But only ourselves to blame for that with our familiar failing - no matter what personel we have up top over the last decade, we just always seem so wasteful in front of goal. Shame we can't play Barnsley every week.

Controlled most of the game. Naturally Henderson played a worldie and ultimately made the difference. Garnacho was brilliant first half, Mainoo and Eriksen solid in the middle. Defense not giving away 30 shots during the game. I am taking all this as a positive, but we badly need a top class experienced striker.

Found Martinez very frustrating today. Unsure why he felt the need to slow the game down consistently when we needed a goal.

The one missed chance that pisses me off is the Bruno shot with the outside of his right foot. It was either arrogance or cowardice that led him to take that shot in that way. It’s a shot with no power and from that distance almost no chance of beating the keeper.
He is in a slump and it’s clear as day to see for everyone except the manager.

Meh the season is young. You’re more likely to get top four playing well than scraping wins because eventually poor performances catch up with you. There’s a lot of posters on here saying they can’t support ten hag not because of results, but because of style. Well today we had the style, just couldn’t get over the line on the result, but if we play like we did today all season, we will get top four 100%.
I kind of agree, keep playing like that and eventually the goals will come and with that wins. So there will be improvement but still think there are teams better equipped than us that will fill the top 4.

Eriksen makes us play better football, but he can’t do it for the season and in the game he and Mainoo started to struggle with athleticism so we need to find a solution to that.

We just lack people that can control and dictate midfield without him.

I do think those people you mention are well not the brightest sparks as it’s been obvious what we’ve been trying to do and where we intend to get to for a while.

Last part of it is sorting out midfield for me.

This game was one of our best performances yet but unfortunately our players couldn't convert their chances. There's nothing Ten Hag could have done about that.

He should have not sub Zirkzee.

Bruno has played himself out of the starting 11. Time to consider starting Mount or Zirkzee in the no. 10 role.

Not as good 2nd half but the 1st half performance alone and chances created should have produced a comfortable win for United today. Need to sort out the lack of clinical edge or we'll see a lot more with dropped points.

We’ve made some huge improvements over last season. Actually created chances against a team sitting back just a shame we couldn’t actually finish any of them.

Questions still need to be asked about ETH’s in game management. It’s just not good enough.

Passing it around the back four in the 93rd minute. Desire.
Even ten minutes before that. I don’t get it. Our midfielders don’t come to the ball, and it’s like the back line is so isolated. I just don’t get it. No one moving for the ball, forwards so far away from the back line.

I’ve never seen any other team do this besides us, and it’s been so long

Context is key. Palace have started the season poorly and were there for the taking.

You're right but I've seen us bottle too many away matches late on to be gutted about a draw.

If we beat Spurs next week, which we should, then I think we're possibly heading in the right direction. Lose and Ten Hag has to go.

Those last 20 minutes were some of the most cowardly I've ever seen us perform under ten Hag. This is after seeing an excellent 1st half. The sheer level of cowardice with 20 minutes to go, it's inexcusable. It truly is. To have an attitude of carelessness and zero instinct for blood is just unforgivable. Palace were there for the taking and not one player wanted to make a penetrative or speculative pass. This is the kind of passive garbage that guarantees that this club finishes outside of the top four.

If you cannot push that Palace side and leave them hanging on by a thread struggling to avoid losing the game, then you're not going places. No way.

I've said Bruno has had a terrible start to the season so far yet the brigade came out after a couple of assist when we were smashing Barnesley in the 80th minute so...

But yes if that's going to be your best player and "magnifico" he can't be looking the least sharp of anyone in the front 4.
The worst part is he's not even 'inconsistent' anymore. He is just consistently shite. His good games are the exception at this point.

The one missed chance that pisses me off is the Bruno shot with the outside of his right foot. It was either arrogance or cowardice that led him to take that shot in that way. It’s a shot with no power and from that distance almost no chance of beating the keeper.
Kind of annoyed me as well, especially when he has time to let it come across his body but didn’t someone score a trevela this week just like that. Probably saw it and thought I can do that as well.

DeLigt and Zirk should have scored as well mind from their headers.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 235 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 31% Crystal Palace 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Crystal Palace 0:2 Man Utd