PL D FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 21 September 2024

we're looking alright I guess

I'm less ETH out than I was at the start of the season

not convinced the team will get enough goals to save him, even Bruno can't score atm
We will never have enough goals in the team with Ten Hag leading us

This starting eleven is 100% our best eleven. Perfect balance of pressing, possession, chances created, and defensive solidarity.

No one on the substitutes bench should be anywhere near starting for us.
Funny, people were having a meltdown beforehand at the selection of Eriksen and the benching of Rashford.

At the moment I'd say our best midfield is Ugarte-Mainoo with Eriksen in the #10, and the front three should be as started today.

Funny, people were having a meltdown beforehand at the selection of Eriksen and the benching of Rashford.

At the moment I'd say our best midfield is Ugarte-Mainoo with Eriksen in the #10, and the front three should be as started today.
Eriksen was definitely the source of creativity today, while Bruno contributed total sum of nothing and stood out with how often he lost the ball compared to everybody else

ETH ruined our ability to creating chances when he toke Eriksen off. We played so much worse without him. For me he was our best player today.

Basic match stats

1st half not leading proved costly

Shots - United 9 Palace 2
Shots on Target - United 4 Palace 1
Passes - United 309 Palace 157

2nd half more even contest in chances created.

Shots - United 6 Palace 7
Shots on Target - United 2 Palace 3
Passes - United 329 Palace 152

GYBT6d-WIAA4VTA

Last season I was disappointed because we got absolutely annihilated. Today i'm disappointed because we didn't win.

The team selection was spot on today. Defense and midfield did very well to dominate Palace. Onana was brilliant when called upon. We have four clean sheets so far this season in seven games. That is a positive. Could and should have been comfortably ahead in that first half.

The substitutions clearly didn't improve our game. However, I don't think you should criticise Ten hag for the substitutions. The amount of games in a short space of time forces him to do changes that might not benefit the teams performance.

I hope we'll soon see an injury free squad. How long has in been since we've seen a United team with a recognised left back? And a bench that could actually have an impact in the game?

The fact that we're a mid table team at the moment is concerning. But, the team is getting an overhaul and we're in a rejuvenation process. It's a largely unpopular opinion, but I see small steps in the right direction.

United is the best team in the world. Even though we're shite. :)

Of course disappointed with the result but can’t really be disappointed with the performance.

If we’d have got 1 we’d have got 4. We were crying out for performances like that this season and we’ve had 3-4 good ones already this season.

3 clean sheets in a row given every team was putting 20-30 shots at us last season. Improvement in the performances are there, the results will come

It’s really not an inevitability that results will come though. Certainly not consistently enough for us to be where we should be, especially when you consider the standard of many of the teams we’re yet to face. It’s actually very easy to see our poor points to games ratio continuing despite an improvement in performances.

with hindsight I wish he'd stuck with Rashford and introduced Garnacho later

first half was fantastic I thought- control, great passing, undone by poor finishing

second half we visibly tired. Something doesnt seem right from an energy point of view

maybe explains Ten Hag's strange subs?

deserved a win but will take a draw

Solid performance, disappointing result. Subs didn’t provide any impetus at all which was a shame. On another day we’re talking about a really easy away win with no fuss, but we’re not. Early points return is poor, so we need to improve, and fast for a run at top 4.

Once again can't score. Teams don't fear us. Unless we're playing bottom table teams, we could lose to anyone. We are a middle-table club and will remain so under ETH. Averaging 1 goal per game. Clearly behind in quality to City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Villa, Brighton, and Newcastle. I knew bringing ETH back was a bad idea. I hate being right about this club. What can I see that the owners can't? Plus, this team is a bane to look at. Pathetic. Another lost year.

Last season I was disappointed because we got absolutely annihilated. Today i'm disappointed because we didn't win.

The team selection was spot on today. Defense and midfield did very well to dominate Palace. Onana was brilliant when called upon. We have four clean sheets so far this season in seven games. That is a positive. Could and should have been comfortably ahead in that first half.

The substitutions clearly didn't improve our game. However, I don't think you should criticise Ten hag for the substitutions. The amount of games in a short space of time forces him to do changes that might not benefit the teams performance.

I hope we'll soon see an injury free squad. How long has in been since we've seen a United team with a recognised left back? And a bench that could actually have an impact in the game?

The fact that we're a mid table team at the moment is concerning. But, the team is getting an overhaul and we're in a rejuvenation process. It's a largely unpopular opinion, but I see small steps in the right direction.

United is the best team in the world. Even though we're shite. :)

This is just nonsense. It was absolutely possible to make changes that would have benefited the teams performance rather than be a detriment to it.

Everyone could see Bruno that was having a terrible game and that Zirkzee was having a pretty effective game, so why did he sub the latter and not the former? That he absolutely nothing to do with the amount of games in a short space of time. He could have totally dropped Zirkzee back and subbed Bruno for Hojland.

Only 4 (edit: now only 3) teams in the PL have scored fewer goals than us and one of those (Forest) have only played 4 games so far (edit: Forest played Sunday and have scored more goals than us).
We’ve scored the same number (5 goals) as Everton and Wolves, who are at the very bottom of the table, in 19th and 20th places respectively.

Goals conceded isn’t that shoddy and if wasn’t for the scoreline against Liverpool, would be even better, but without scoring goals, we are going to be nowhere near challenging for a top 4 spot. More likely, firmly entrenched in mid-table at best.

Last edited:
Should have gone to a 4222 formation at the end. Hooked Bruno and had both Hojlund and Zirkzee on the pitch with Rash and Garnacho on the wings. Think we could have forced a goal if the subs were better.

I think what we’re learning from the last couple of games is that we need a younger version of Eriksen asap.

Oh, and about three goalscorers

I think we played well. We showed massive improvements in our pressing game and even our interplay. However, we are very slow in the initial build up. It takes way too long to set up. In addition, we don't really have a set route to goal. So far this season, a lot of our chances have still come from set pieces or the transition. We have moments of magic from the flanks at times, but we really don't have a consistent route to goal outside of individual play. So far this season, Zirkzee's ability to drop deep and thread a through ball has provided an alternative route. These are the reasons we were so static in the final third of the game.

No real issues with our structure or how we setup to play but as I thought all summer we have an average set of attackers.

We will have games like today more often than a top side should. Goals against League One and promoted teams wasn’t fooling me.

A lot of love for zirtzee on here but I thought Eriksen was the bigger loss after the subs. I get the logic of the substitution given his age etc, but his passing this season has been great, somewhat compensating for Bruno’s flicks and outside of the foot fluffing. Once he went off it all went wrong. Dalot moving central and Mainoo out wide was bizarre and possibly contributed to Rashford’s complete ineffectiveness.
If Hojlund was close to fitness he should’ve had minutes against Barnsley as his first touch and sharpness today was shocking.

This is just nonsense. It was absolutely possible to make changes that would have benefited the teams performance rather than be a detriment to it.

Everyone could see Bruno that was having a terrible game and that Zirkzee was having a pretty effective game, so why did he sub the latter and not the former? That he absolutely nothing to do with the amount of games in a short space of time. He could have totally dropped Zirkzee back and subbed Bruno for Hojland.
Thank you for calling my thoughts nonsense. I appreciate that.

I'm sure Ten Hag knew something we didn't, about Zirkzees fitness. There was no reason other than that to justify that substitution. Bruno was poor, yes. But fitness wise he is a monster. And he's the captain, and capable of delivering match winning actions. We've seen that sooo many times. Also, i'm pretty sure that Højlund wasn't ready to play for 30 minutes - hence the Rashford as striker substitution.

It's so easy to criticise the manager.

Second half woth Palace playing a low block, we yet again struggled at times. Onana and Martinez walking forward looking for anything ahead of them and finding nothing. We perhaps should have got the job done first half but you wondered where a goal was going to come from in the second half at times. On the up side, gave away less chances albeit they should have scored 2 arguably. Frustrating.

Agreed, he might not be as clinical as we’d like but his passing is the best in the team in terms of incisiveness.
That’s the problem with United. Players who are playing better will always get subbed to make sure Bruno/Rashford get game time.

Logical sub for me would have been Ugarte for Eriksen because Palace were already starting to break easily. Then Hojlund for Bruno and play Zirkzee in Bruno’s position

The lack of urgency in our play astounds me at times.

We're 0-0 in the last 15 mins and we still see Martinez, De Ligt and Onana passing the ball between themselves for ages. What are they waiting for? It's not like the movement upfront improves when they do this

One of the worst, of many EtH’s mistakes, was to make Bruno captain and undroppable. He was absolute pants tonight Needed subbing at half-time but played the full match. Eriksen or Zirkzee are much better suited to that role. But, hey ho, he’s got a new mega contract now. So disappointed as I thought we played really well but lacked the killer instinct.

Improvement in our build up and passing, definitely. But this squad has no natural goalscorers, so we'll have many games where we play decently and still drop points. That'll eat into confidence, and make it harder for players to keep up the positives.

Long season ahead, again.

Only 4 teams in the PL have scored fewer goals than us and one of those (Forest) have only played 4 games so far.
We’ve scored the same number (5 goals) as Everton and Wolves, who are at the very bottom of the table, in 19th and 20th places respectively.

Goals conceded isn’t that shoddy and if wasn’t for the scoreline against Liverpool, would be even better, but without scoring goals, we are going to be nowhere near challenging for a top 4 spot. More likely, firmly entrenched in mid-table at best.

Plus Forest beat Liverpool at Anfield. We got drubbed by Liverpool at Old Trafford.

We just don't have enough goals in the team. I don't blame the tactics for that, I blame recruitment.

We have lost players like Zlatan, Cavani and Ronaldo and never replaced them with goalscorers. Rasmus is raw and in honesty, a sicknote since he came here. Zirkzee, I'm not sure what he is at the moment.

I don't know how we let Tony go to Saudi, not saying he is a world beater but he scores a goal today and we have 2 points more.

Well - we are a lot better than we were last year, and I think we will be a quite decent side by the start of next year. Let's just hope we are not too far behind top-4 by then.

As much as I like the guy, Mainoo hasn't exactly set the world alight this season. I feel he gets a pass simply because he's young and had a good end to last season.
Today though, you've got to ask what did he do? Not much.

I wonder if dropping him and playing Ugarte alongside Erikson would be a better solution at the moment. Ugarte gets stuck in a lot better, wins the ball back and distributes it a lot quicker going forwards. He's more likely to get Erikson in the game to do his creative thing even more.

Mainoos got time, still very young and learning, but I think United should step back from promoting him as the next golden boy too soon.

When Erickson and Zurkzee came off we lost all imagination and forward passing. Erickson gets the ball and within a second with his first touch he's looking for an incisive pass. Zurkzee is a tidy player and looks like he makes things happen.

Mainoo is absolutely poetic receiving the ball and turning at the same time, no matter how little space he has. Unfortunately his vision for passing isn't there.

I think it was the best that we have looked for absolutely ages. We looks much more confident on the ball, nobody is panicking - with some luck we could have one 3 - 0.

Unfortunately we need old man Erickson to provide the telling balls going forward and we are going to need someone else as he can't play 90 minutes of every game for the season.

A lot of love for zirtzee on here but I thought Eriksen was the bigger loss after the subs. I get the logic of the substitution given his age etc, but his passing this season has been great, somewhat compensating for Bruno’s flicks and outside of the foot fluffing. Once he went off it all went wrong. Dalot moving central and Mainoo out wide was bizarre and possibly contributed to Rashford’s complete ineffectiveness.
If Hojlund was close to fitness he should’ve had minutes against Barnsley as his first touch and sharpness today was shocking.
I don’t disagree but we started to struggle a little bit when ZZ came off. Eriksen may not have had the fitness for a full effective 90 minutes as per usual like you mentioned. In this case, Ugarte sub made sense, especially to protect against the counter, and start a transition.

An argument could be made for leaving Eriksen on and have Ugarte sub on for Mainoo. But I think that works more on the condition where Bruno cones off for Højlund and Zirkzee moves behind. This would have kept our boots to their neck in attack while maintaining structure in the middle. Without Bruno giving away the ball so much, Eriksen wouldn’t be as tired from having to cover more space, and instead focus on key passes that could have been converted with a Zirkzee-Højlund front. In this scenario, a Rashford sub wouldn’t have been that bad. Crazily enough, even an Antony sub would’ve been okay in this same scenario because that means Garnacho will have remained on the left.

When given the space. Last 20 minutes we just passed it around at the back. Rightly so, as we didn't seem to have a clue what to do further up the pitch.
Yea we lost Erikson, amad, and zirkzee.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 235 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 31% Crystal Palace 1:2 Man Utd