PL D FA Premier League

Crystal Palace 0:0 Manchester United

Post-match discussion

Sat, 21 September 2024

Zirkzee was playing so well and got hooked. The game changed after that. Really stupid substitution.

In all a very promising performance continuing the trend we've seen from pre-season, Liverpool game aside. Disappointed to not get 3 points though.

Some observations:
- The signings all seem to be helping the team keep possession better and play some lovely football at times. Amad and Zirkzee are really helping us to glue attacks together. Mazraoui and De Ligt are very good and Ugarte looks tidier and more comfortable than Casemiro in the tight spaces. All in all we must be top or near the too of chances created in the league.

- Garnacho for me should now be 1st choice on the left. Rashford can't play as a 9 or on the right so should be benched. That's a decision Ten Hag needs to take to get this team going, Rashford is simply not cut out for possession, tight football. Garnacho provides what Rashford does but has miles better interplay.

- The only one who struggled during the dominant periods was Bruno. Not because he isn't technical enough but because he simply isn't a possession footballer. He is too impatient, gives the ball away needlessly. Eriksen pulled strings much better than him. Another decision Ten Hag has to make, I think the team will gel better without Bruno.

All in all, if we beat Twente and Spurs then this game will be looked at more positively. If we lose vs spurs then it might come back to haunt us.

Bruno could have been subbed
I agree that Bruno should have been taken off in the 60th minute and Ten Hag might have been better off keeping Zirkzee and who knows what could have happened. However we really should have won this game in the first half. How we didn’t score during that time is a mystery even science can't explain.

We're not a posession based team and the information coming out in the media is that Ineos don't want us to play that way either.

We should have the lionshare of the ball against most teams in the league. As such we need midfielders who can dictate the tempo of play. It's clear to see the difference someone like Eriksen makes when he comes in.

Sometimes players have such a bad game that they don’t deserve to play 90 minutes. This was one of those games from Bruno.

I often feel like people are too harsh on him, but he was really, really bad today. His passing was all over the place. There was moment when he gave it away 3 times in 10 second.

As I mentioned, I agree that Zirkzee should have stayed on, but he was on for most of the game and we didn’t score. Therefore, from Ten Hag’s perspective, bringing on Rashford made sense, given his recent decent goalscoring form—it could have been the difference.

It didn’t work out, but as I said earlier, the game should’ve been wrapped up well before that.
Then he isn't taking notice of the work Zirkzee is doing and doing well. I can understand Rashford coming on, but taking the creativity off, especially when Bruno is so out of form did not do any favours and the pace and focus of the game changed. ETH will be looking at we got walloped last season, so today is a success.

Sometimes players have such a bad game that they don’t deserve to play 90 minutes. This was one of those games from Bruno.

I often feel like people are too harsh on him, but he was really, really bad today. His passing was all over the place. There was moment when he gave it away 3 times in 10 second.
His passing is always all over the place. Just sometimes he gets away with it with a decent cross or penalty. He’s not good enough.

I'm reading that we were excellent in first half.

I didn't watch, but come on - you're excellent when you score at least one goal. We drew 0:0, hardly excellent.

The standards have been so low at this club, seriously.
We hit the bar twice and Henderson pulled off about three very good saves. On another day we could easily have been winning 3-0 at halftime.

Sometimes the scoreline doesn't really reflect the performance. We had that in our favour last season, where we actually won or drew quite a lot of matches where our performance was utterly dreadful and we didn't even come close to deserving the result (hence why we finished 8th instead of the 14th or so that we 'deserved' to). This match, or at least the first 55 minutes or so was the other way around, where we actually did play well but just couldn't get it in the net. We dominated the ball, penned Palace back, had good patterns of play both in the build-up and around the box and created fairly good goal-scoring opportunities.

Overall it's a big improvement over what we've seen for the majority of the last 18 months, and if we perform like that consistently there's good reason to think we'll have a much better season than we did last year. We'd just need to work on our finishing.

we're looking alright I guess

I'm less ETH out than I was at the start of the season

not convinced the team will get enough goals to save him, even Bruno can't score atm

United's tactics clearly surprised Palace in the first 30-35 minutes. Palace didn't know how to deal with the midfield overloads and then Eriksen started drifting into space very wide and sometimes wide and deep to get on the ball and Palace had no early answers for that either. United was dominant but it seemed like dominance manufactured by tactical surprise more than a City-like dominance where the other side knows exactly what they're going to do and just can't stop it.

Once Palace made tactical adjustments, and then the halftime changes, United didn't seem to have another gear or an effective Plan B. The subs clearly didn't work but the side didn't create that many chances from minutes 30-60 so I don't think it was all about the subs.

If I’m totally Honest I thought that we played really well, we should have been 4 goals ahead by half time and luck just wasn’t on our side. The team look way better in terms of a proper system, and remember these battered us last season, battered us. Today they were lucky we didn’t win 3. Progress is evident.

That was awful today and we were always going to struggle to score with the attack we started with as Amad offers nothing, Zirkzee cant finish because he isnt a number nine, and Garnacho cant do much without decent players around him.

not convinced the team will get enough goals to save him, even Bruno can't score atm

11th place indeed is nothing to scoff at and should give everyone that was EtH out something to think about. At this stage I think a fight for the conference league is still a realsitic target which is quite an achievement looking at our financial struggles.

The problem is he's really bad too often, but so is the whole team.
For me he's not a Captain, he lacks the drive we had with former Captains, I don't see a leader in this team at all, that I think is the heart of the problem.

Really enjoyed that first half.
Sure we missed boatload of chances but the improvement is clear to see.
We ditched the chaos ball & counter attacking for proper possession football.

Think this is our best 11 moving forward:

Garnacho - Hojlund
Zirkzee - Amad
Mainoo - Eriksen
Dalot - Martinez - De Ligt - Mazraoui

That was awfult today and we were always going to struggle to score with the attack we started with as Amad offers nothing, Zirkzee cant finish because he isnt a number nine, and Garnacho cant do much without decent players around him.
If it was awful, most of us would be relieved we got a point instead of being disappointed we didn't get three.

Really good 1st half, in which we didn't take our chances. But after fluffing those chances, we could have ended up going in 1-0 down with Eze not taking his chance.

2nd half was a lot more of the ball without doing enough with it, but that last half an hour was awful. Bruno missed a chance that may have been better to take on his left foot rather than the outside of his right. But again Palace had two chances that Onana made massive back to back saves on and Eze then missed another sitter.

Bruno was woeful throughout.

Were you watching a relay of the Liverpool / Bournemouth game ?
We don't look "alright" at all, we look a total mess, lacking in idea's, leadership and tactics

Garnacho - Hojlund
Zirkzee - Amad
Mainoo - Eriksen
You know we have problems when people are picking a 32yr old to start, knowing full well you have to keep a sub back for him

United's tactics clearly surprised Palace in the first 30-35 minutes. Palace didn't know how to deal with the midfield overloads and then Eriksen started drifting into space very wide and sometimes wide and deep to get on the ball and Palace had no early answers for that either. United was dominant but it seemed like dominance manufactured by tactical surprise more than a City-like dominance where the other side knows exactly what they're going to do and just can't stop it.

Once Palace made tactical adjustments, and then the halftime changes, United didn't seem to have another gear or an effective Plan B. The subs clearly didn't work but the side didn't create that many chances from minutes 30-60 so I don't think it was all about the subs.

True, they made subs at HT that seemed to help out.

Missed chances costing us big time. Bruno needed to be subbed and Amad was also poor. Hooking Zikzee was weird and Martinez was lucky not to see red. What was he at? Thankfully Eze’s finishing was as bad as ours.

Bruno's lack of composure for both his chances cost us 3 points if being critical. Another day he rattles one of them in. Thought his overall end product was missing today. Think everyone else had an ok/decent game.

Garnacho - Hojlund
Zirkzee - Amad
Mainoo - Eriksen
Eriksen has done great the past couple of games but against high tempo sides he will be lost. Also not convinced Amad is good enough to be a regular starter

Zirkzee was playing so well and got hooked. The game changed after that. Really stupid substitution.
I would have kept him, he definitely adds something to our attacking play. But he's not a real goalscorer, and we should have scored a couple today, so ETH has to make some decisions. Zirkzee was and is a forward that drops deep to create. So now, we have him, Bruno and Mount.

Do you play Rashford out left, where he prefers, or Garnacho who provides the most energy? Does Rasmus play? Paid all that money for him.. he's fit now. So does he play?

You can't play them all, and you cannot keep changing the team. We are not good enough, yet, for that. We are unsettled and need some stability, a style. If we are a counter-attacking team, then let's just say so and pick teams accordingly, whether home or away.

But it seems ETH is still unsure. You chase Ugarte all year and then you don't play him.

I have no idea what ETH wants and I'm sure the players are bewildered too.

Of course disappointed with the result but can’t really be disappointed with the performance.

If we’d have got 1 we’d have got 4. We were crying out for performances like that this season and we’ve had 3-4 good ones already this season.

3 clean sheets in a row given every team was putting 20-30 shots at us last season. Improvement in the performances are there, the results will come

Play Zirkzee behind Rasmus and drop Bruno
Zirkzee is absolutely key us retaining the ball up the pitch.

Hojlund's first touch is genuinely so terrible it makes Lukaku's first touch look World Class.

Can’t say this enough, Bruno was fecking atrocious and an absolute waster. Infuriating game from him and he needs to be dropped.

Player Ratings

6.1 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 235 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 31% Crystal Palace 1:2 Man Utd
  • 18% Crystal Palace 0:2 Man Utd