PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Brentford

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 October 2024

Bold thing to suggest on this forum.
Sometimes the truth hurts though

The bald one got it right today, I've seen many comments today stating it was only Brentford and they were crap

Maybe they were crap because of how we played, and the opposition manager, seemingly thought by many as an ETH replacement, couldn't do anything about it

Sometimes the truth hurts though

The bald one got it right today, I've seen many comments today stating it was only Brentford and they were crap

Maybe they were crap because of how we played, and the opposition manager, seemingly thought by many as an ETH replacement, couldn't do anything about it
Oh please god no. I think I'd hate to see that bitter twat in the United dugout more than Southgate.

Huge win over the mighty Brentford. That’s another 3 points towards premier league survival.

In all seriousness, we did slowly grow into the game in the first half and pretty much dominated the second. But we have seen this against Southampton and 2 games later we gone back to being absolute garbage.

Good comeback to get the three points.

I mean you can’t blame people at all for being apathetic to our games win, lose or draw at this point as it doesn’t feel like we’re going anywhere under the manager so I completely get it, but let’s see if we can build on today.

Oh please god no. I think I'd hate to see that bitter twat in the United dugout more than Southgate.
Given the comments I've seen elsewhere you're definitely in the minority there, personally I wouldn't want either

Another mediocre performance but at least we managed to win. But I'm not entirely happy as this win just bought some time for our totally clueless manager.

"...but let’s see if we can build on today.". How much I hate these words. For more than 2 years I've read the same 787236 times, and we've never built anything. Never, and with ten Hag we never will.

Quote Reply

De Ligt looked a lot more comfortable with Evans next to him. Played well today. As did Hojlund. Rashford really looked up for it too. Shame he couldn't get on the score sheet after that performance.

Our pressing in the 2nd half was brilliant. Not seen us win back possession so many times and actually start an attack from it. We need to find that form consistently and from the start of the game and we'll really kick on. Id keep this exact same team on Thursday. Maybe Ugarte in for Cas if that calf injury keeps him out.

Reactions: 711
F**k me. We won. You'd think we'd lost. Why do we need to be so negative? Yes, we aren't great; ETH might not be our Saviour but FFS we need to get behind the team.

F**k me. We won. You'd think we'd lost. Why do we need to be so negative? Yes, we aren't great; ETH might not be our Saviour but FFS we need to get behind the team.

That's because the majority want him gone therefore are gutted we've won.

But yeah played well and won. Better than losing innit.

Great second half. Both goals were class. Good to see Garnacho, Rashford, and Højlund showing some fire. Rashford's cross was from the right, maybe the switch with him R and Garnacho L needs to stay that way. Still not seeing what Zirkzee is supposed to be doing up top all by himself. He's Weghorstian as a CF. Bruno had a much improved game, kept the needless giveaways to single digits. Onana playing way outside the box seems to have worked.

Feels good to win, especially with two excellent goals.

Just realized Mbeumo is shorter than Licha, wow 5'7" to 5'9".

Feels good to get a deserved three points.

Sad to see people hoping we lose or concede another.

Please Rashford for gods sake put that effort in every week.

Much better 2nd half. You really wonder what it takes that we dont play like that from the first minute.

Winning is A, B & C

Obviously the most important thing by far

I just don’t think you can say there is “no negative” because there is

I’ll be very encouraged if we win the next 2 as well, making it 3 in a row and making the season look salvageable

There is no negative in us winning surely?

You can always play better but the result is 100% positive.

We were decent in the second half, but it was Brentford, we should look good all game.

Definitely played more compact second half, and it made a big difference, bringing the midfield and forwards closer and that allowed the interplay that got us goals.

WHich shows that while we don;t have a world beating squad by any means, our biggest issues have been tactical.

First half very poor, second half brilliant. Felt like they were riled up by Brentfords goal.

Casemiro and Eriksen looked like their old selves and really helped change the momentum I thought.

Can we see that energy consistently is the big question. Some easy games coming up so the expectation has to be a winning streak.

Controlled most of the games but you could see a drop the moment zirkzee came on. Højlund is going to be very important for us if we need to get a good run going. Happy to get that vital 3 points and a midweek win will be a massive boost going into a tricky run of fixtures that can swing both ways depending on how we play and a bit of luck

Great 2nd half to be fair. Hojlund was great, Rashford better and the defence solid.
First half an hour was poor.
Take the positives but still don’t think we’re far from another poor result.

The whole team showed up in the second half. Fire in the belly. Winning 50/50. Attacking, passing. We need some confidence. Hojlund deserved his goal.

Where is Amad???

Really good 70m after they should have been up 1-0 after a little over 2m.

Loved De Ligt today, he was awesome and what I hoped for when we got him.

Very happy with the front 3 too, all of them. I have a soft spot for Hojlund, I truly think he will be a great one for us and the beauty of a dink over the keeper was class.

Casemiro was very good too, hope he was not hurt bad at the end.

Very fun 2 half to watch and we obviously need that effort every match. I thought Bruno was off again, but what a touch for that assist.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend mates!

If we’re judging us as a team who want to become title challengers, there would be an abundance of negatives

I can’t see these players having the heart or bollocks to overcome the atmosphere of Mourinho and Fenerbache away. Maybe I’ll be wrong, but it doesn’t happen much
You’re often wrong :lol:

The team looked like it had a genuine desire to feel Hojlund, which looked absolutely alien because it so rarely has been the case. That was a real positive. Holjund himself looked extremely sharp.

Garnacho never stopped. Rashford looked up for it and had an eye for a pass.

Eriksen helped us tick and Casemiro played well. Outside of the assist I would argue that Bruno still looked like the Bruno of this season.

De Ligt was an absolute rock at the back for us. Evans still winding back the years. Dalot struggled for me and all I seem to remember Martinez doing is smashing it up the pitch though maybe that's harsh.

I really liked Onana's positioning, we played a high line more effectively than I have seen yet so far this season and Onana was a big part of that.

Cautious optimism.
Completely agree. The balance was much better. Garnacho was excellent and Rashford, while not playing to his individual strengths, always gives a much better team performance on the right as he seems to focus more on creating rather than scoring.

Whether Rashford is the best RW we have is a different question, but it's probably the best overall compromise for now.

On the Ugarte and Zirkzee questions, they'll come good, it just takes time to adapt to the PL.

Pleased that De Ligt had a good game after the recent pile-on.

Mostly, the following is related to orgasmic 2nd half.

1. Licha instead of Dalot as a left back was a huge difference. A lot more stability both in defensive phase and build up.
2. 442/4222 without the ball positioning in 2nd half was perfect. Players knew when to press or keep shape. A lot more coordinated performance without the ball and voila - we don’t make silly mistakes, don’t leave any gaps, Casemiro and Eriksen are suddenly world beater MF pairing.
3. Eriksen as DLP is KEY. Manioo can’t do his job. DLP is THE PRIORITY next summer.
4. Rashford is like a new player. He doesn’t rely on his pace and acceleration anymore. Adding some playmaker traits. I hope is still progressing as a player. Interestingly he was drifting right in N10 zone, not even in half space.
5. Attacking shape - 3-2-5 is the way to go. Dalot as an extremely attacking right winger has a lot of potential. We should rotate Maz and Dalot depending on opposition, the latter being an option when we play against lesser opposition.
6. Garnacho should play Rashford’s old role (explosive wide forward exploiting 1-on-1) on a regular basis. Rashy can’t produce INSANE number of runs like Garna. Yes, he is a little bit of a headless chicken, but sheer amount of opportunities he has due to work rate produces result. Also, I admire his MENTALITY. CR7 as his hero (instead of Messi) requires no explanation.

When Yoro comes back do you think ETH will keep Martinez at left back? He did alright there today, it looked a bit more balanced.

When Yoro comes back do you think ETH will keep Martinez at left back? He did alright there today, it looked a bit more balanced.
Licha did a great job no doubt but I think the difference was due more to the fact that Dalot didn’t play there. Shaw might be even better than Licha as LB.

Was far from a great performance, but a win is a win and all turnarounds have to start somewhere.

One thing is for certain that the players have not downed tools for the manager.

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 212 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brentford win
  • Draw

Detailed Results

• 23% Man Utd 2:1 Brentford
  • 14% Man Utd 2:0 Brentford