PL W FA Premier League

Manchester United 2:1 Brentford

Post-match discussion

Sat, 19 October 2024

First 20 was poor after that I thought we were excellent.Really enjoyed the 2nd half there is a team there but we need to see much more of that before we can talk about corners being turned.

Delighted with the win but I'll never understand comments like I hope we lose now so the manager is sacked, I want him gone like most but I never want us to lose.Crazy.

I am still in a bit of daze that we won. The comical nature of how we went behind just felt so very much to type. Didn't see that second half coming.

I am still in a bit of daze that we won. The comical nature of how we went behind just felt so very much to type. Didn't see that second half coming.

We scored 2 goals in the Premier League, good goals at that.

I'm not quite sure what to do with myself.

ETH'S RED AND WHITE ARMY!

Feels like we certainly turned a corner in that second half, this is where it starts for us, obviously showing Frank he can't have his job.
Why does this feel like it was said in last season's game against Brentford?

I enjoyed that, though. Good second half response and great to see Rashy and Casemiro having good games.

Quite enjoyed that second half. A win and a good performance. Feels a bit weird to not have any frustrations or drama after a United match.

The team looked like it had a genuine desire to feel Hojlund, which looked absolutely alien because it so rarely has been the case. That was a real positive. Holjund himself looked extremely sharp.

Garnacho never stopped. Rashford looked up for it and had an eye for a pass.

Eriksen helped us tick and Casemiro played well. Outside of the assist I would argue that Bruno still looked like the Bruno of this season.

De Ligt was an absolute rock at the back for us. Evans still winding back the years. Dalot struggled for me and all I seem to remember Martinez doing is smashing it up the pitch though maybe that's harsh.

I really liked Onana's positioning, we played a high line more effectively than I have seen yet so far this season and Onana was a big part of that.

Cautious optimism.

There is positives and negatives to pick from this game.

Positive: we won

Negative: Baldy will secure his job for another 5 games.

Brentford cutting through us with ease first 20 minutes.
In the second half we were dominant and Garnacho was on fire.

Something to build on.

Lots of positives for me. We were unlucky to go in one down but the fight in the 2nd half was great to see.

Not one poor performance among them. Rashford and Garnacho worked had for the entire match. Bruno got plenty of stick on here as usual but he played a far more responsible game and still managed an assist. Hojlund's hold up play was excellent at times, thoroughly deserved his goal. DeLigt's best game for us.

More of this please!

Good comeback and well deserved win. Apart from the medical debacle, we were clearly the better team. Loads of good individual performances and came out fighting in the 2nd half. Need to make this the start of a streak and not stutter.

The first 30 mins especially were a shambles but the whole first half wasn’t great. The second half was much better, playing how we should at home to Brentford. The two finishes were quality.

Patchy over 90 mins, and nothing to make me think we're seeing a new dawn for ETH, but at least it was an enjoyable second half. Glad Garnacho got the goal he deserved and Hojland should get a confidence boost from that (not that you'd think he needed it from the finish). Rashford did all the right stuff and the defenders mostly got rid of their jitters. This team has shown that when the conditions are just right they can do ok.

On the downside there's still some of the familiar failings. A lack of control in possession and a style of play that leads to a single ball in midfield cutting out half the team. Basically, if the conditions aren't just right, they struggle.

But, whatever, I still think ETH will go at the end of the season and it's just a question of making the most of it til then. At least the goals were good enough to enjoy watching the highlights and there were a few good performances to pick over in the coming days.

Something to build on but I can’t understand ETH reluctance to play Ugarte instead of Casemiro, and probably neither do the board?
It's hard to sub offensive-focused players (Case is a fairly good passer and header) for defensive-minded players when we've absolutely struggled to score. Would make the offense even more inept. Also, Ugarte himself has been poor so far.

That said, I thought once we took the lead we'd see an Ugarte for Case/Eriksen sub much sooner. Not sure why we needed to wait so long unless Ugarte still has a slight injury (announcers said something like that).

There's no negative. We won.
If we’re judging us as a team who want to become title challengers, there would be an abundance of negatives

I can’t see these players having the heart or bollocks to overcome the atmosphere of Mourinho and Fenerbache away. Maybe I’ll be wrong, but it doesn’t happen much

Turned so many corners we're almost back to the start.

Good win, decent performance, should have scored more goals.

Let's see how this gets followed up in the next few games.

If we’re judging us as a team who want to become title challengers, there would be an abundance of negatives

I can’t see these players having the heart or bollocks to overcome the atmosphere of Mourinho and Fenerbache away. Maybe I’ll be wrong, but it doesn’t happen much
We won. That's all matters for now.

Far too many people on here wanted us to lose so the manager would be sacked. Bizarre behaviour.

A win, especially after going behind, is pleasing to see.

We weren't very good though, still miles off where we should be, but nothing new there. We were OK compared to what we have been serving up but nothing more

There are some absolute miserable feckers in here

We just won, played pretty well for most of the game

And all some can do is fecking moan
I dont get it either, stood on the stretford end today and within the first 7 minutes i had heard

“Ohhh, feck off”, “fecking rubbish”, “get that cnut to feck”, “this is fecking shit”, “come on you dog shite cnuts” and “get this soft cnut off” all from 1 guy stood behind me, the first “fecking rubbish” was within 40 seconds of the game kicking off

Why go if your not even going to give yourself the opportunity to enjoy it?

A win, especially after going behind, is pleasing to see.

We weren't very good though, miles off where we should be, but nothing new there
11 shots on target, another 8 off it. Dominated them from 25th min onwards. The only thing we could have done better in that second half is put away our chances more! Can we please please stop with the negativity. Give the team credit when it's due, otherwise it's a self fulfilling prophecy!

Really good second half, but we didn't deserve to be behind at HT as I thought, after the first ten minutes, we were the better team in the first half too

Something to build on but I can’t understand ETH reluctance to play Ugarte instead of Casemiro, and probably neither do the board?
He will have no choice as Casimero went off through injury probably.
But I don’t understand the hype about Ugarte. He isn’t good enough on the ball. Not an United midfielder. He was very bad at PSG too.

He will have no choice as Casimero went off through injury probably.
But I don’t understand the hype about Ugarte. He isn’t good enough on the ball. Not an United midfielder. He was very bad at PSG too.
I enjoyed his run in injury time to carry the ball from our half into the final third. It took the pressure off and helped us see out the game. We need legs in midfield, and from the little I've seen of Ugarte, he looks capable of covering some ground.

We won. That's all matters for now.

Far too many people on here wanted us to lose so the manager would be sacked. Bizarre behaviour.
Winning is A, B & C

Obviously the most important thing by far

I just don’t think you can say there is “no negative” because there is

I’ll be very encouraged if we win the next 2 as well, making it 3 in a row and making the season look salvageable

The team looked like it had a genuine desire to feel Hojlund, which looked absolutely alien because it so rarely has been the case. That was a real positive. Holjund himself looked extremely sharp.

Garnacho never stopped. Rashford looked up for it and had an eye for a pass.

Eriksen helped us tick and Casemiro played well. Outside of the assist I would argue that Bruno still looked like the Bruno of this season.

De Ligt was an absolute rock at the back for us. Evans still winding back the years. Dalot struggled for me and all I seem to remember Martinez doing is smashing it up the pitch though maybe that's harsh.

I really liked Onana's positioning, we played a high line more effectively than I have seen yet so far this season and Onana was a big part of that.

Cautious optimism.

Good summary and agree with this.

Player Ratings

6.6 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 212 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Brentford win
  • Draw

Detailed Results