POLL ADDED: Would you want Jose Mourinho as the next Manchester United manager?

Would you want Jose Mourinho as manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
The bulk of the complaints directed at Van Gaal this season have been about the style of football. It wasn't long ago we went top of the league temporarily with a last minute winner against Watford, but it was barely mentioned because of the manner in which it was achieved. So you could say league position has almost become a secondary consideration amongst fans. If people think Mourinho will bring a return to the exciting brand of attacking Manchester United football they are very much mistaken - very little will change in terms of style. It's still a resounding no for me.

The board should be doing absolutely everything possible to entice Pep.
The thing is it wasn't just out style of play but the fact that people could blatantly see that our style of play would eventually catch up to us and was not sustainable over the course of an entire season.

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
We are not Chelsea. He is our best bet. In fact the only bet unless we include Giggs.
I highly doubt he's our best bet, he gives you one or two good seasons and then goes to shit. And his football is as bad as what is being played now.

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
I highly doubt he's our best bet, he gives you one or two good seasons and then goes to shit. And his football is as bad as what is being played now.
Who else do we have to come in now? Unless we are willing to write off the season. As for his football. Chelsea last season were a well oiled machine. Agree that is not what we are used to. But for the short term I prefer a well oiled machine to one that is leaking oil.

bleedred

The bulk of the complaints directed at Van Gaal this season have been about the style of football. It wasn't long ago we went top of the league temporarily with a last minute winner against Watford, but it was barely mentioned because of the manner in which it was achieved. So you could say league position has almost become a secondary consideration amongst fans. If people think Mourinho will bring a return to the exciting brand of attacking Manchester United football they are very much mistaken - very little will change in terms of style. It's still a resounding no for me.

The board should be doing absolutely everything possible to entice Pep.
That's not true. Many, rather most in here, were using that as an excuse in his defense. Many started realising he needs to go, only after the last two weeks, when our Top 4 has been under threat, and no chance of a title push. If we were say 3 or 4 points of top with shit football, many would still be happy with LVG.

What if he doesnt want to join us, what then?. You say Mou, doesnt gurantee exciting football, what makes you think Pep does. Pep has managed two WC teams and had the advantage of WC players at his disposal. Both the teams he has managed, were successful before he took over and has been( in case of barca) and will be (in case of Bayern) successful. So, yes he is a brilliant manager, but he has not been tested with a slightly average team.

If we get Pep, its good, but it doesn't guarantee anything, the same with Jose. Most in here want Mourinho only because it looks to be like Pep is going to City, that doesnt mean its the end of the world. Its actually really god for the league, with Pep at city, Jose at united, Klopp at liverpool, and I am sure Chelsea will get someone really good next season, we can expect some top quality in the league.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Jose normally guarantees some amount of short term success, and that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world for us right now, especially with the PL looking weak; if Pep is believed to be going to City then the City squad could start slacking a lot, and Arsenal always fade, there is still time to win the league this year almost as a bonus.

The preference would of course be Pep, but if it is a choice between MAYBE getting Pep (and otherwise ending with nothing) or getting Mourinho in now, then I dont think we can afford to take any risks. Unless we know that Pep is coming, we have to act now.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
This isn't being discussed enough. I have heard/read it in a couple places that this might prevent us, or anyone in England for that matter, from hiring Mourinho for a while.

Would love to get some clarity on it.

Rockets Redglare

goin4glory

Would much rather see us go for a talented young coach like Poch or Tuchel that play a very exciting brand of football and the fans could get behind. Mourinho would probably bring a league title if he was here for 3 years but the shitstorm he brings with him may not be worth it.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
I understand Jose is not in a 'good place' right now, grumpier than ever and falling out with his staff and players prior to being dismissed from Chelsea. His father is very unwell, it could well be that he needs time away from football and a job at United could well be disastrous for both parties.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I understand Jose is not in a 'good place' right now, grumpier than ever and falling out with his staff and players prior to being dismissed from Chelsea. His father is very unwell, it could well be that he needs time away from football and a job at United could well be disastrous for both parties.
100%. I'm not a big fan of Mourinho but he could do a decent job here but not at the moment.

jem

I voted 'no', but after the latest gong-show, I'm starting to come around to the idea. I may be deluding myself, but I can't but wonder if a humbled Mourinho with something to prove may not be a bad thing. He appears to have coveted the United job for a long time and perhaps that, along with his respect for SAF, may lead him to temper his more over-the-top ways. Again, I may just be telling myself what I want to hear. I feel dirty even considering it, but it can't get any worse than it is now (actually it could if we decided to appoint Giggs.)

RoyoftheRavers

That's not true. Many, rather most in here, were using that as an excuse in his defense. Many started realising he needs to go, only after the last two weeks, when our Top 4 has been under threat, and no chance of a title push. If we were say 3 or 4 points of top with shit football, many would still be happy with LVG.

What if he doesnt want to join us, what then?. You say Mou, doesnt gurantee exciting football, what makes you think Pep does. Pep has managed two WC teams and had the advantage of WC players at his disposal. Both the teams he has managed, were successful before he took over and has been( in case of barca) and will be (in case of Bayern) successful. So, yes he is a brilliant manager, but he has not been tested with a slightly average team.

If we get Pep, its good, but it doesn't guarantee anything, the same with Jose. Most in here want Mourinho only because it looks to be like Pep is going to City, that doesnt mean its the end of the world. Its actually really god for the league, with Pep at city, Jose at united, Klopp at liverpool, and I am sure Chelsea will get someone really good next season, we can expect some top quality in the league.
Regardless of what's good for the league or not, from a Manchester United perspective Guardiola would be a far better appointment than Mourinho, which is why the club should do everything to go after him. The proud attacking traditions of United are far more evident in Pep's teams than those of Jose over the last ten years.

No manager guarantees success and no manager guarantees a certain style so you can only go on previous evidence. Pep not wanting to come to the club is not something that should be considered until it is made clear - until then it should be assumed that he could arrive and everything possible should be done to entice him. I don't share the view that he would inherit a distinctly average squad. There would obviously be tweaking, adjustments and perhaps one or two marquee signings required, but the nucleas of a good squad is there.

Although being top of the league under Van Gaal seemed unsustainable, if we remained top for a longer time while playing the same way many fans would remain unhappy with the style. Any success with Mourinho is likely to come about in the same manner.

Last edited:

LLMU

Not a bad idea now if we look at the bright side. Only setback is do we have the right players to play his style of football. We certainly lack quality in major area of the team especially forward.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Great post, very dignified and introspective.

I too have reservations about Mourinho representing us at an ambassadorial level, but then, Sir Alex was never one to mince his words either.

...but do you really believe the SAF style of football is dead? In what sense did you mean this?

Personally I think Mourinho is wrong for us because most of us support United not for glory, but for the attractive attacking football we used to see every week under Fergie. We were the ultimate entertainers; never afraid, always played to score goals.

I fear Mourinho is another LVG. We might grind out results - win the league perhaps, but we'll all be bored to tears.
In simple terms, playing with two wingers, overlapping full-backs and attacking midfielders. Another important aspect is trying to bring players through the youth system.

Personally, I still think the system (4-4-2) would still work. However, all present successful coaches and teams are not playing the system and are successful.

prarek

Despite the season he's had he is still amongst the best. However the image of his relationship with his players, something he was lauded for, for inspiring and motivating, has taken a big hit. I honestly don't think that our players would be keen on having him take over. An unhappy dressing room is what i see. And there will be a big question mark over the development of youngsters with flair like Januzaj, Pereira and Martial. They are not Mourinho players.

SirBobbysCombover

Squirming around on a dusty barber shop floor
Since yesterday's defeat the yesyes vote has climbed from 25% to just under 50% , fickle undecided fans knee-jerk after each result.

We should have got him after SAF could have saved a lot of money and faffing around for 3 seasons.

You have to wonder what the board were smoking to pick Moyes over Jose, the guy looked broken hearted that Fergie went down the Moyes route, proven winner at elite level over 4 continents for a guy that never bagged one trophy.

Madness I tell ye

Minimalist

ITT: An awful lot of folks who can't tell pragmatic football from defensive football.

Mourinho is not a defensive coach. He wouldn't have won anything if he was as bad as some of you claim.

Ferguson was pragmatic too (to his detriment at times) and it's wrong to paint him as a coach who always had United 'flying with relentless attacking football'. It's just re-writing history and insulting to those of us who watched Ferguson's years.

Ferguson admired pace, power and determination/drive above all else. So does Mourinho.

Hitchcocker

People like pointing at how Mourinho had destroyed Madrid with politics but I think at both Madrid and Chelsea, he tried to do something that others wouldn't have dared - remove it from the team. He had tried to remove Iker from the team for God knows when and although they suffered for a bit, performance and results wise, in the long run, it was the necessary decision. Same thing at Chelsea but he wasn't given the freedom to do what was required.

I am convinced if he were here instead of Moyes, he'd have torn the team to shreds and letting go of most of our deadwood which Moyes didn't, to his detriment.

This second time he was sacked by Chelsea, I think a lot of the decisions vindicated his belief because:
1) He never wanted Cech sold - which would have benefited Chelsea when Curtois was injured
2) He wanted Griezmann - which they needed based on what we saw
3) He wanted a CB - he wanted a top class CB but was not provided one, instead the club signed players he never heard off.

While I agree, his treatment of Caneiro was despicable and he has baggage, but I am convinced he can steady the ship short-term (2-3 years) and if we can get that out of him, it'd be enough.

prarek

Relevant to the discussion.
exactly! so many stupid myths flying around
Not exactly a myth though is it? I think everyone accepts that he plays attacking football against small teams.

In that record breaking season Real Madrid scored 121 goals at an average of 3.1 goals per game. But against the other top 4 they scored 11 goals in 6 games(4 goals in one game against Malaga). Dropped points against all of them and all the big games were close apart from that 4-0 drubbing of Malaga.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
I do wonder how Chelsea fans would react if Mourinho sits on the bench for United against Chelsea in 8 days. @Gol123 @Spiersey @duffer ? Not sure if you have already answered that question a million times. If you did, sorry for asking again. Do you think it's possible to happen now or in the near future? Do you think Abramovich has forced a non-compete clause on Mourinho when he bought him out of the contract? Something like he's allowed to take a job outside of England but not in England for the next 18 months doesn't seem unreasonable depending on how much money Mourinho demanded as a pay-out. Is the contract termination even already finalised?
Cant see it myself. Mourinho apparently didn't take the money for his contract release and if that is the case Abramovich wouldn't be able to get him to sign a non competing clause. On my feelings about it, I don't think it will matter. Mourinho needs a long rest from football and going straight to United will probably not get him 100%. Also, he wont change too much about their team if we did face them, just have them sit back with minimal attacking threat, considering it is his first game.

Minimalist

Not exactly a myth though is it? I think everyone accepts that he plays attacking football against small teams.

In that record breaking season Real Madrid scored 121 goals at an average of 3.1 goals per game. But against the other top 4 they scored 11 goals in 6 games(4 goals in one game against Malaga). Dropped points against all of them and all the big games were close apart from that 4-0 drubbing of Malaga.
Sounds very familiar.

Sounds like United under Ferguson (especially from 2007 onwards). Don't get beat in the big games and annihilate the rest. Worked well for him. Don't see why it could be used as an insult.

prarek

Sounds very familiar.

Sounds like United under Ferguson (especially from 2007 onwards). Don't get beat in the big games and annihilate the rest. Worked well for him. Don't see why it could be used as an insult.
Its not an insult and shouldn't be used as such. There is a difference b/w SAF and Mourinho. Big difference. There's no right or wrong way to play football. Just personal tastes.

Member 5225

It's almost as if you're inferring that the matches are harder vs the 'top 4'
That's football!

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

Relevant to the discussion.
That premiership record that Chelsea got was under Ancelotti, if memory serves.

But regardless, I seem to remember people jizzing themselves over some goals Chelsea scored early last season in particular.

prarek

It's almost as if you're inferring that the matches are harder vs the 'top 4'
That's football!
It is mate. But im also inferring that it is not an outrageous statement to say he is a defensive coach and shouldn't be taken as an insult. He knows how to win trophies.

Member 5225

It is mate. But im also inferring that it is not an outrageous statement to say he is a defensive coach and shouldn't be taken as an insult. He knows how to win trophies.
But the point is he's not entirely 'defensive' as everyone likes to believe?
His teams score goals (I don't think you can win so many trophies without doing so!)
But I say he's tactically astute, of him bringing on a DMC when 2-0 to close the game out vs swashbuckling cavalier football that could end the same game 2-2.

Maajid

Formerly Mad
Why aren't we being as cynical about what Duncan Castles says like we usually are when he writes transfer stories about United?