POLL ADDED: Would you want Jose Mourinho as the next Manchester United manager?

Would you want Jose Mourinho as manager of Manchester United?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Still win the league? We could bring in any of Mourinho, Guardiola or Ancelotti right now, and sign Neymar on 1st Jan, and we still wouldn't win the league.

LvG is a significant part of the problem, but the problem runs much deeper.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
He wanted Griezmann, Stones and Pogba. He knew that Chelsea team wasn't right hence why his frustration.

He knew from the day they lost 5-2 to Spurs that the Chelsea team wasn't right. And he started parking the bus. That Chelsea team needed new players. If you don't refresh your team then you will stay back.

He had falling outs with players. I don't think he can do anything to Costa, when all Costa does is pretend to be tough and not score goals anymore. Hazard clearly showed he's a bottler just like Fabregas.

I think he'd give the players confidence and I think the players will love him. Maybe not Mata.
When things weren't working, he didn't change things up. Ivanovic was one of their worst players, and when he was fit, he started despite them having alternatives for the position.

Yes it's important to change things, but he didn't even with the alternatives on the books. And not having the backing of the board doesn't really justify taking a team from top of the league to 16th.

The falling outs are a concern, especially with players he's bought like Costa, though that probably says a lot about Costa's personality too.

I don't hate Mourinho and wanted him to become manager when Fergie retired. With him going to Chelsea a few years ago I thought it'd be good to see how he'd do back at his 'home' club and given the chance to make his mark. The transfer commitee thing they have there basically ruined their summer transfer window, though I do believe they tried to get Stones but Everton were adamant they weren't selling. So with full backing of board here, he might be more successful in the market - though having Mendes' influence back would be frustrating.

What has turned me off wanting Mourinho as manager is the negative traits of his have basically magnified. Was hoping with him back at Chelsea he'd settle down and not pick so many fights, try to plan a bit longer term and so on but he's got worse in that regard.

Hope you're right with the last line about players loving him. Think some will, like Rooney and Valencia, but others less so.

If it happens, will be interesting to see how things go and I'll back him. If things go bad I won't call him a fraud, a con artist, a cancer to the club who plays 'millionaires with disabilities' as some wanker said.

For me though, our problems run deeper than van Gaal and bringing in Mourinho won't magically make things go well again.

What would you all expect Mourinho to do with the squad? A few things I can think of:

- Mata sidelined pretty rapidly.
- We can probably forget Januzaj, Pereira, Wilson, Tuanzebe etc ever establishing themselves.
- Could see Valencia used on the right wing against stronger opponents quite often.
- I'd imagine Herrera would become first choice and we wouldn't see two DMFs at home to teams we should we beating anymore. He does favour a 4-2-3-1 but I think he'd realise that formation does not suit our squad.
- 3-5-2 never to be seen again.
- Don't think we'd see Blind at CB again.
- Rooney as starter

ravi2

FFS Damo, it is just a few months away that he won the title. Technically it is the past, but it is a very recent past.
And while he did worse than LVG in the league this season, he did better in UCL. In this season, both have been equally shit, but LVG has been mostly shit and irrelevant for the last 15 years while Mourinho has been brilliant for most of that time.

Yep, the stick Mourinho got for Eva while Pep did even worse and was mentioned for like 2 hours is interesting.

Btw, I prefer Pep to Mourinho, but I would be happy with either of them. Those two have been 2/3 best managers in the world in the last 10/15 years, and the other top 3 manager is retired. So unless Fergie is coming back, or Pep had said yes, Mourinho is the best next choice. Especially that the comparable choices are unavailable too (Ancelotti apparently in Bayern, and if we want to be generous, Klopp is at Pool while Simeone isn't thinking to change his job).

Regardless, is like not signing Ronaldo because Messi might be available. But if Messi goes to City, then we get stucked with Rooney. Or have to promote Wilson.
I would love to know what people are smoking.
If city get pep and we fail to land Ancelotti or Jose we are going to be right up Shit Creek without a paddle.

Oo0AahCantona

What would you all expect Mourinho to do with the squad? A few things I can think of:

- Mata sidelined pretty rapidly.
- We can probably forget Januzaj, Pereira, Wilson, Tuanzebe etc ever establishing themselves.
- Could see Valencia used on the right wing against stronger opponents quite often.
- I'd imagine Herrera would become first choice and we wouldn't see two DMFs at home to teams we should we beating anymore. He does favour a 4-2-3-1 but I think he'd realise that formation does not suit our squad.
- 3-5-2 never to be seen again.
- Don't think we'd see Blind at CB again.
I think he brings in a CB and a winger in january. and he starts to play round pegs in roung holes. I dont actually think mata will get thrown to the wolves either, he needs to galvanise the dressing room not split it.

Revan

Assumptionman
- Rooney as starter
Is Mourinho stupid? Mourinho isn't stupid.

I don't buy this just because he wanted Rooney some years ago, he would play him now. Sure, there is a good chance that Rooney would play this season, but if he doesn't improve, he would get the Eto'o treatment in the summer.

However, if we appoint a new manager in the summer (not Pep who is absolutely ruthless), then we might see Rooney next season too.

prarek

I will NOT change my vote to yes unless he brings Eva with him.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Is Mourinho stupid? Mourinho isn't stupid.

I don't buy this just because he wanted Rooney some years ago, he would play him now. Sure, there is a good chance that Rooney would play this season, but if he doesn't improve, he would get the Eto'o treatment in the summer.

However, if we appoint a new manager in the summer (not Pep who is absolutely ruthless), then we might see Rooney next season too.
Well he constantly played Ivanovic despite him being past it and Chelsea having sufficient replacements. Mourinho has his favourites and it wasn't that long ago he wanted Rooney - two years ago? I'd be surprised if he dropped him to the bench personally.

soap

Directionless weirdo who like booze and ganja
I think he brings in a CB and a winger in january. and he starts to play round pegs in roung holes. I dont actually think mata will get thrown to the wolves either, he needs to galvanise the dressing room not split it.
Oh, yeah, I definitely think he'd make a 'stop gap' kind of signing at CB in January, which isn't a bad thing in truth.

Bojan11

Well he constantly played Ivanovic despite him being past it and Chelsea having sufficient replacements. Mourinho has his favourites and it wasn't that long ago he wanted Rooney - two years ago? I'd be surprised if he dropped him to the bench personally.
If we get Pep/Carlo/Jose they ain't getting rid of Rooney.

They all spoken well of him in the past and he'd be a starter for them. I think they will eventually get rid, but not at start.

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
He won't play the attractive, attacking football we crave. It'll be more of the 'boring rubbish' that we've all come to lament.

Revan

Assumptionman
Certainly (like every manager). But Rooney isn't his favourite. He was back then a great player who was playing in some rival club. Now him being an awful player changes the equation. He certainly isn't Drogba, with whom Mourinho had a great relationship.

It is like claiming that a manager who loved Xavi/Pirlo, would like to sign him now.

I don't have any doubt that Mourinho would have loved him if Rooney played for Mourinho in the past, but if he comes here and Rooney continues like this, then things won't be the same.

Ivanovic was a player on which Mourinho relied before. He became shit now and Mourinho continued playing. Hardly a crime, though it looks stupid. I mean, Fergie was playing Giggs regularly when he had a bad patch in his early thirties.

But, my point is that Mourinho hasn't a history with Rooney, and so, won't have a loyalty towards him.

AshfordLad

Ivanovic did not seem past it today by any standards. Also, Baba Rahman was awful whenever he played to the point that Mourinho had to play Kennedy (an even younger and less experienced player) out of position.

Eddy_JukeZ

Still win the league? We could bring in any of Mourinho, Guardiola or Ancelotti right now, and sign Neymar on 1st Jan, and we still wouldn't win the league.

LvG is a significant part of the problem, but the problem runs much deeper.
Disagree with that.

We'd have the best player in the league then with a good manager. I think we'd win the league.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Bollocks. Yes we would.
A good manager plus Neymar would be enough to paper over not having any fullbacks fit for the foreseeable future, no right winger and only one dependable centre back in the squad? Not just paper over, but propel us to the summit and win the whole thing, despite being 9 points behind currently? I don't see it.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
A good manager plus Neymar would be enough to paper over not having any fullbacks fit for the foreseeable future, no right winger and only one dependable centre back in the squad? Not just paper over, but propel us to the summit and win the whole thing, despite being 9 points behind currently? I don't see it.
I think it would yeah. Long way to go and the teams above aren't great. It won't happen anyway. We need to just get a manager in who will give it a real go, have us finish up there and maybe win a cup.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Going by his recent signings, perhaps a particular Brazillian central attacking talent from Shakhtar in Alex Teixeira.

Think he'll be all over Stones in the Summer.

Everest Red

Reddest ever
m. If things go bad I won't call him a fraud, a con artist, a cancer to the club who plays 'millionaires with disabilities' as some wanker said.

For me though, our problems run deeper than van Gaal and bringing in Mourinho won't magically make things go well again.

This is true. Look at Bayern's recent record. Hired LvG at the right time, fired him at the right time. Got two good managers in succession. (Potentially three). Buy wisely, have a great setup. We need that kind of structure in the club. City are getting there, Chelsea aren't headed in that direction. City have never slipped once they got on top, Chelsea fell twice( although over a longer span).

So it's back to the drawing board for the core management. They should have an organization where duties are delegated properly. Modernize youth setup. Expand scouting. Employ more analytics, sports science, diet, fitness people. Basically, make it so that the manager is a part of the success, not the sole reason behind it. We need to invest (not just money but a lot of thought and planning) and stride to be a different kind of club. Maybe we're very good at that already, but it does not seem like it.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
It does seem like he will end up managing us. So weird that a guy who I thought was the obvious and logical choice when Fergie retired is appointed 2.5 years late. Shocking really how stupid the club is

I doubt our board will supply him with likes of Papy Balouby and a half dead Falcao when he wants the likes of Stones and Griezmann so hopefully it goes smoother than what happened at Chelsea this season.

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
Pep is off to City. At least that is what it seems to the outsider, given how they seem to have made the club tailormade for his needs - the people he knows, the English "La Masia", funds, a squad full of superstars and so on.

Carlo off to Bayern, Klopp is at Liverpool. The only top manager with a history of winning anything is out Mourinho, and he allegedly wants the United job. Let's not overthink this from a "tradition" or "values" or "philosophy" angle again, and mess it up. As a brand, we can't just afford to not win.

No brainer, really. Mourinho will be the next manager of Manchester United, and I would love to see his intensity show here, long term or not.
#MourINho

Eddy_JukeZ

Pep is off to City. At least that is what it seems to the outsider, given how they seem to have made the club tailormade for his needs - the people he knows, the English "La Masia", funds, a squad full of superstars and so on.

Carlo off to Bayern, Klopp is at Liverpool. The only top manager with a history of winning anything is out Mourinho, and he allegedly wants the United job. Let's not overthink this from a "tradition" or "values" or "philosophy" angle again, and mess it up. As a brand, we can't just afford to not win.

No brainer, really. Mourinho will be the next manager of Manchester United, and I would love to see his intensity show here, long term or not.
#MourINho
Yeah we have no choice.

I prefer Pep and was against Mourinho coming initially, but after thinking about it and seeing the Pep to City rumors grow, Mourinho has to be our next manager.

He's wanted the job since Fergie retired. He'll be extra motivated to prove his naysayers wrong. It just feels right.

GeneralGattuso

#MourINho
3 years of skipping straight to the results. No point in watching Mourinho matches, I've had to start getting used to it under LVG and Moyes I suppose.