Plane carrying Chapocoense players crashes | Nossa Chape documentary

Devastating.

Obvious echoes of Munich here and would hope United are first to offer support (financial / emotional / whatever) but I think its unrealistic to expect them to send players. Its one thing (and a huge act of generosity of course) for local rivals to send players but to ask young players to relocate to Brazil from the UK just isn't a fair expectation.

Heartbreaking seeing the video of them celebrating :(
Devastating.

Obvious echoes of Munich here and would hope United are first to offer support (financial / emotional / whatever) but I think its unrealistic to expect them to send players. Its one thing (and a huge act of generosity of course) for local rivals to send players but to ask young players to relocate to Brazil from the UK just isn't a fair expectation.
This. It's a nice thought but obviously it's just not feasible. I would really love it if we could provide some kind of financial support though, however big or small.

terrible :(

i fully expect our club to help them financialy. as gbbq said, sending palyers seems a bit unrealistic as its so far away and you cant expect that from anyone

Oh no. I feel sick at this news. They were celebrating reaching the quarter finals of a cup competition just a few days ago.

RIP.

I hope United reaches out and does something to help in any way.

You look at a photograph like that and wonder how in the world even 5 or 6 people managed to escape that with their lives?
I agree, that's what struck me.

A small miracle, but overshadowed by the tragedy of 76 (reportedly) people who perished.

Gives you perspective really. A few tougher seasons for your beloved football club doesn’t feel that big anymore. Even if ”football is life” for so many of us, in the end, it’s only football.

A team from the highest league in Brazil. Really tragic. No doubt some big European teams would have been scouting some of their players.

Horrible. Can't imagine what their families are going through now... those photographs of them just before crashing is heart breaking. Be nice if United could help them out in some way, however small.

I know the airport really well. The terrain around is hilly and unforgiving. If the pilot was in distress, and needed to crash land, there was no water or flat terrain to do so.

It truly is miraculous that there were survivors. I hope they pull through.

I hope United, of all clubs, steps up and offers support.

They ran out of fuel. Apparently maximum distance this plane could travel on full tank was 3,055 km. The distance they had to cover was 2,975 km - who the feck decided it was a good idea to use it?

I know the airport really well. The terrain around is hilly and unforgiving. If the pilot was in distress, and needed to crash land, there was no water or flat terrain to do so.

It truly is miraculous that there were survivors. I hope they pull through.

I hope United, of all clubs, steps up and offers support.
That was my first thought when I saw the crash pictures. It obviously was not their time to go. Can't imagine the trauma the survivors will have to go through........ if possible, maybe Sir Bob can meet with them...

It seems that lack of fuel is a confirmed cause. Absolutely horrible, the distance they had to cover left no room for error and with their payload they were always going to struggle to reach Medellin. The pilot must have taken a risk or not noticed, very unlucky for them that it was only after they had reached Medellin at which point it was too far. They basically missed by around 10 km from what I gather. This is just so horrific.

Hope our club has a charitable whip round for them, raise a few million to help with funeral expenses, families, and maybe send some academy players there on loan.

RIP
Money yes , but lets be honest sending academy players is maybe not the right thing.
Young players , very far from home, it would be better for players from other teams in South America to loan their players IMHO.

It seems that lack of fuel is a confirmed cause. Absolutely horrible, the distance they had to cover left no room for error and with their payload they were always going to struggle to reach Medellin. The pilot must have taken a risk or not noticed, very unlucky for them that it was only after they had reached Medellin at which point it was too far. They basically missed by around 10 km from what I gather. This is just so horrific.

The flight had a stopover in Bolivia en route.

But aircraft don't just run out of fuel without any prior indicators. Their flying at night and in mountainous terrain, will not have helped them however. As is often the case there will a combination of factors at play here.

Last edited:
Stop this discussion about loaning players etc., it is absolutely irrelevant at this point. They will decide how to deal with this when the time is right. They don't need players now, they need time.

Actually Atletico Nacional has called for the trophy to be awarded do Chapecoense. They won't play the final, I just don't get how they would ever be required to do that.
Nice gesture from the club.

From what I have read , it had to circle before it tried to land.
But to use an aircraft on a flight length so close to max distance is just daft , there is no room for error.
I doubt very much the pilot did not notice, more likely that he thought he could make it, why on earth did they not make a fuel stop.

From what I have read , it had to circle before it tried to land.
But to use an aircraft on a flight length so close to max distance is just daft , there is no room for error.
I doubt very much the pilot did not notice, more likely that he thought he could make it, why on earth did they not make a fuel stop.
They made one in Santa Cruz in Bolivia but too far from Medellin.

Stop this discussion about loaning players etc., it is absolutely irrelevant at this point. They will decide how to deal with this when the time is right. They don't need players now, they need time.
Exactly. The last thing they will be thinking about is football. There are families to take care of.

RIP.

Financial assistance is a must but not sufficient. We should be more than that. We are more than that and I fully expect to see Sir Bobby and SAF etc heavily involved. Perhaps set up some sort of strong relationship between the clubs that will endure forever since our clubs are now tragically entwined forever.

Where are people reading that they ran out of fuel? Brazilian news were praising the pilot earlier for dumping fuel seconds before the crash, to prevent a huge explosion upon impact.

Where are people reading that they ran out of fuel? Brazilian news were praising the pilot earlier for dumping fuel seconds before the crash, to prevent a huge explosion upon impact.
Some aviation site comments from a page before

Its a discussion forum? Its relevant to how the club itself will continue and slightly less morbid than focusing on the cause of the crash.

Exactly. The last thing they will be thinking about is football. There are families to take care of.
Yeah. The team is gone, the players who reached the final will never play again for them aside from the ones who survived. How they approach this is up to them, for sure they will not be thinking about this now.

Its a discussion forum? Its relevant to how the club itself will continue and slightly less morbid than focusing on the cause of the crash.
It's way too early for them to be thinking about this. Way, way too early.

Reuters says local media suggested the plane reported an electrical failure shortly before disappearing from radar.

I can't imagine a plane could crash from running out of fuel in this day and age. Their entire flight plans are scheduled before even taking off.

Passenger aircraft can also redirect battery power to their engines generating at least another 30 minutes and in cases of major flights running out of fuel in the past, planes have been able to glide on empty for well over 150km before finding somewhere safer to crash land.