PL Matchday 3 | 31/08/24 - 01/09/24

If it was against United I'm pretty sure you both would disagree.
Yup, this happened to Casemiro and we'd be hearing about it for the next decade. It's fun to take pleasure in your rivals misfortune, but I don't think we need to pretend this was great refereeing.

I think Arsenal are going to dive for a penalty at some point.

Arsenal gave up? Stopped pressing, all 10 men inside their own six yard box

That was basically a sitter that won't show up on the xG stats for Arsenal. If Odegaard's pass is decent it's a 1v1 situation.

Arsenal have been pushing the limits of the rules with tiny bits of cheating for years. A red card like that is the culmination.

Surprised no one’s been in for Mitoma. Such a good player

It was arguably harsh but it’s difficult to defend Rice’s behaviour. Total moron. Would be the same if it was a United player.

However Veltman should be booked too.
This is my take on it. Veltman avoiding booking is the problem but Rice getting booked is not.

Punishment for what?
Rice tried to impede the free kick with the sly kick out and got caught?

How many times does it happen every week up and down the country? You can’t just punish things when you pick and choose.

It’s a bullshit decision and it’s doubly bad as Brighton player escaped punishment. People are letting their bias blind them. It’s bullshit and the type of thing that hands the league to cheats, again.
It's just the trade-off of drilling it into your team use any means necessary to stop counter attacks. At some point referees will punish you for it.

It doesn't happen often enough, mind you, but hopefully that will change and affect teams across the board.

You can't just boot someone though, even if Rice was being a twat.
Well if he didn't move the ball...
To be clear. I thought he was going to get carded but as the ball had moved it was subjective

Clearly not learnt anything watching them the last two years, no?
Dont think ive ever seen them sit this deep, Saka at the wingback role, Kai is basically a DM. Maybe they are waiting for Brighton to tire, but right now they cant even launch any counters.

Yup, this happened to Casemiro and we'd be hearing about it for the next decade. It's fun to take pleasure in your rivals misfortune, but I don't think we need to pretend this was great refereeing.

I think Arsenal are going to dive for a penalty at some point.
Exactly. You said it better. ;)

How many times does it happen every week up and down the country? You can’t just punish things when you pick and choose.
What you've never seen someone carded for impeding the free kick?
It happens all the time mate!

You can't just boot someone though, even if Rice was being a twat.
He was trying to take the freekick quickly, no? It's just funny because he missed and looked like he booted him on purpose

Of course you can it happens every week up and down the country.

Ok, list all the times last season where a similar situation got a booking, compared to how often it happens.

Well, you can just ignore the fact that all teams were told refs would be clamping down on exactly this, this season. You choose to ignore the warnings and you get punished, fairly simple. Brainless from footballers.

It's like getting told swearing will be a red card then telling the ref to feck off. Only himself to blame

Don't think it's harsh at all. Refs are generally way too lenient on players stopping the resume of play. Standing in front of the ball, kicking it away, picking it up and walking with it then throwing it up in the air.

If your team fouls the other team, you should be carded if you do anything at all to disturb the resume of play. Rules in football are built a lot around that aspect. It's why we have throw-ins instead of kicks. It's why you only need to wait for the whistle from the ref when the ball is close to goal. It's a simple thing to enforce and football would be better off if refs would adopt a zero tolerance policy towards what is already in the rule books. It works very well in handball which is a sport with not many stoppages. I imagine it's the same in rugby.
It depends, if Brighton genuinely want to take a quick one I'd have more sympathy. But you see a lot these days free kick takers just blasting the ball at a nearby opposition player to try get him booked for stopping a quick free kick, when they actually have no intention of playing a quick one to a team mate.

Brighton player booted the ball away in frustration after running the ball out of play in the first half, and the ref ignored it.

If refs were to be consistent and strict in every case and yellow card every single case of every slightly delaying a game, fair enough. But we know that doesn't happen. And until it actually happens, refs should use some common sense and not red card players for slightly nudging a ball when the team has no intention of playing a quick pass anyway.

If this red was against Casemiro the Caf would be having a meltdown right now.

Having said that, Rice is silly and shouldn't give the ref a chance to make a harsh decision. I said the same thing when Casemiro kept giving the ref chances to send him off.

Dont think ive ever seen them sit this deep, Saka at the wingback role, Kai is basically a DM. Maybe they are waiting for Brighton to tire, but right now they cant even launch any counters.
Doesn't matter. They got that desire and luck of champions and they'll find some random deflection go their way and score in injury time.

Well if he didn't move the ball...
To be clear. I thought he was going to get carded but as the ball had moved it was subjective
That's not really how it works, if someone kicks the ball away you still can't just kick out at the offender, the two incidents should be viewed separately. Think both players should've at least seen cards.

It’s a bullshit decision and it’s doubly bad as Brighton player escaped punishment. People are letting their bias blind them. It’s bullshit and the type of thing that hands the league to cheats, again.
Bias has nothing to do with it. I want Arsenal to win this and win the league but it's a clear yellow card for me.

It actually happened a couple times against United last season too, including Dalot taking two yellows at once for complaining
That was an outrageously bad decision though (worse than this one) that most United fans thought was bullshit, I think that's the point some of us are making.

He was trying to take the freekick quickly, no? It's just funny because he missed and looked like he booted him on purpose
Nah, he knew exactly what he was doing.

Brighton had near 60% possession of the ball even before the sending off, impressive for a rookie Brighton coach away to a title challenger managed by the media darling Arteta.