Nordic Ghost Yeti (Scandi Carroll) | Haaland at City

There is no way Real just sat back and allowed City to snap him up, Real will have at the very least made an approach but were unable to match the massive ammount of money City were willing to spend and pay him to secure his signature.

He went to City for the money and the money alone

He will be at Madrid soon enough, don’t worry.

He chose the option which paid the most money. Which was made possible at City for reasons which we all know about. Me and you would have gone after the most money too, which is human nature.

He has no longing to a particular club ie making him a mercenary. Its not bitter at all. Just factual.
He absolutely is the epithome of a mercenary.

Feck all the Haalands and the Mbappés.

"I personally think he’s trying to have the best possible career"

Then why choose City? He could have gone to Real Madrid and won everything there while scoring loads of goals.

Is this guy okay? 'Could have won it all'?

He literally won the treble in his first season scoring the most goals in Europe and breaking the PL goal record in the process.

Like, huh??

I mentioned this before to people who thought he'd not use United as a stepping stone, he 100% would. He mentioned it when he signed for City that he'd like to play for Madrid and 'all the big clubs once'. The guy is a total mercenary. A top class one but still a mercenary.

And while City have the luxury to go and spend another £100 million and another £100 million and another (just like how they did it with their defence) to replace mercenaries, other clubs don't have such luxuries.

"Mercenary" is often branded about as a bad thing, but if you could get the chance to play for a few of the biggest clubs in the world, live in different places, break records and win stuff all over, all while making a fortune doing so, that sounds way more appealing to me for what is roughly a 10-15 year career, rather than spending all or most of it in one place.

Haaland is one of the few players who would likely be a success wherever he goes, and has the option of having a career like this. I think that's cool, not a negative.

"Mercenary" is often branded about as a bad thing, but if you could get the chance to play for a few of the biggest clubs in the world, live in different places, break records and win stuff all over, all while making a fortune doing so, that sounds way more appealing to me for what is roughly a 10-15 year career, rather than spending all or most of it in one place.

Haaland is one of the few players who would likely be a success wherever he goes, and has the option of having a career like this. I think that's cool, not a negative.
You're right, I have already said I would do the same in his position. My point was people hoping this guy wouldn't use clubs as a stepping stone, he would. The rest I agree with.

You're right, I have already said I would do the same in his position. My point was people hoping this guy wouldn't use clubs as a stepping stone, he would. The rest I agree with.
Even if that was the case ( using clubs as stepping stones) you make it sound like a negative.
I mean look at Declan Rice, would you say he used Ireland as a stepping stone to get to England?
Or,
He’s using Arsenal as a stepping stone to get to Chelsea?

"Mercenary" is often branded about as a bad thing,
When I see it written, I translate it in my head to professional. In our own careers, we're all mercenary to some extent. I don't anyone else for making as much money as they can.

Even if that was the case ( using clubs as stepping stones) you make it sound like a negative.
I mean look at Declan Rice, would you say he used Ireland as a stepping stone to get to England?
Or,
He’s using Arsenal as a stepping stone to get to Chelsea?
Yes, if Declan Rice had announced he would like to 'play for every big club'. But in your example, Chelsea right now are far behind Arsenal. He'd have to wait till he's 29. Haaland doesn't. Madrid are better than City as evident by their CL and domestic haul in the last 7 years alone. If we were 6th right now and we signed him, knowing 6th is where we will be then yes I'd be 100% wary of a player using us as a stepping stone. Our last 2 decades is full of this.

Don't know if this has already been referenced in the thread, but did anyone catch the recent Overlap when Talksport presenter Rory Jennings stated that Michael Owen was a better goalscorer than Erling Haaland?

Paul Scholes was gently trying to explain to Jennings that 100 goals in 105 games is quite impressive, but he wasn't having it.

Now, I'd be the first to say that I'm not Haaland's biggest fan, but I think it's a stretch to say that a guy who never managed 20 goals in a Premier League season is a better goalscorer.

I also take issue with the other point that Jennings made, which is that Haaland's numbers are a product of 'the team he plays in', because Haaland pretty much has a goal a game record for Dortmund and Norway as well.

Don't know if this has already been referenced in the thread, but did anyone catch the recent Overlap when Talksport presenter Rory Jennings stated that Michael Owen was a better goalscorer than Erling Haaland?

Paul Scholes was gently trying to explain to Jennings that 100 goals in 105 games is quite impressive, but he wasn't having it.

Now, I'd be the first to say that I'm not Haaland's biggest fan, but I think it's a stretch to say that a guy who never managed 20 goals in a Premier League season is a better goalscorer.

I also take issue with the other point that Jennings made, which is that Haaland's numbers are a product of 'the team he plays in', because Haaland pretty much has a goal a game record for Dortmund and Norway as well.
It was complete and utter nonsense. Michael Owen played in a more defensive era but Haaland scored twice as many goals, Owen’s 18 goals is like 22 or 23 now, not 35.

It was complete and utter nonsense. Michael Owen played in a more defensive era but Haaland scored twice as many goals, Owen’s 18 goals is like 22 or 23 now, not 35.
Indeed, the gap in the numbers is simply too large to claim that it is just an era thing.

So? Should he let the club keep it because of feelings?
No I'm just highlighting that Haaland is a mercenary as other posters have said. No current elite players grew up wanting to play for City. City have been useful for identifying players who genuinely don't care about the wider social issues which City are the PR front for like murdering Yemeni children, human rights abuses and modern day slavery.

Well, people consistently think that strikers who scored less goals are better than strikers who scored more goals. It's not just the issue with Haaland, it's been happening all the time. Nothing to see here :P

Well, people consistently think that strikers who scored less goals are better than strikers who scored more goals. It's not just the issue with Haaland, it's been happening all the time. Nothing to see here :P
I understand that, but usually the gap is not astronomical. Haaland has more goals at 24 than Michael Owen managed to score in his entire career.

No I'm just highlighting that Haaland is a mercenary as other posters have said. No current elite players grew up wanting to play for City. City have been useful for identifying players who genuinely don't care about the wider social issues which City are the PR front for like murdering Yemeni children, human rights abuses and modern day slavery.

But american ownership is great, no political shite going on there. It isnt like eg. the united owners has donated to presidental candidates that has gone to pointless wars. Haaland has played for 3 clubs in europe and every club he has played for has been an upgrade in term of champions league stature. He wouldve made the same money had he went to real or psg. Players of that calibre gets top dollar no matter what.

By your logic every talent is a mercenary if they go from a smaller club to a bigger one then, which might be true but its also very very logical. Players with mentality like Haaland wants to win. Something our club and fans has forgotten. We are only whining and crying. We are just like Liverpool were.

It's hardly away at Luton though is it?
He also scored 5 before subbed off at 60min in one knockout stage cl match.

-21/20 goalpoints against the traditional top 6 in 14 games depending on wich source you use. Not bad.
-Best CL ratio in history

Yes he can be anonymous against the very best, but why that makes him the only player in the world who would get a bunch of negative comments if he scored 5 against Southampton this season, I do not know.

Austrian league - 1.06 per game
Bundesliga - 0.93 per game
Premier League - 1 per game
International football - 0.94 per game
Champions League - 1.02 per game
Domestic cups - 1.1 per game

Basically a goal a game at every level, competition, team since he was 18.