Nordic Ghost Yeti (Scandi Carroll) | Haaland at City

When Haaland doesn't score, almost always he would've had a really poor game. And even when he scores, he mostly has a game where he didn't contribute much other than the goal. His stats are elite player worthy but the performances rarely are. And yet his stats have remained incredible be it Sazburg, Dortmund or City. Very confusing player.

He is quite the phenomenon. Low performance, but he excell at a few key areas as a striker. Him going to city was a very smart move, because they have good enough players that can cover areas where he is lacking. Areas he is lacking is clearly defence duties and building up play. Though when he sometimes builds up play his passes are normally quite accurate, but he seems somewhat clumsy/jerky compared to his teammates. I bet this doesent give his teammates and manager much confident in him as a player who can do much else besides score goals. Thats just my two cents on it.

He was apparently stroppy in the Austria game last midweek and cut a frustrated figure vs Wolves.
Doesn't seem as effective facing deep defences but still young enough to add to his game.
He'll be back in the groove soon enough.

Haaland seems to have hit a certain level of scrutiny like Messi/Ronaldo where he gets 5-6 comments here every time he has a bad game.

When Haaland doesn't score, almost always he would've had a really poor game. And even when he scores, he mostly has a game where he didn't contribute much other than the goal. His stats are elite player worthy but the performances rarely are. And yet his stats have remained incredible be it Sazburg, Dortmund or City. Very confusing player.

He is quite the phenomenon. Low performance, but he excell at a few key areas as a striker. Him going to city was a very smart move, because they have good enough players that can cover areas where he is lacking. Areas he is lacking is clearly defence duties and building up play. Though when he sometimes builds up play his passes are normally quite accurate, but he seems somewhat clumsy/jerky compared to his teammates. I bet this doesent give his teammates and manager much confident in him as a player who can do much else besides score goals. Thats just my two cents on it.

Confusing? It's very simple. He doesn't run around the entire pitch attempting to contribute to every facet of the game because he has a bigger impact on the game by always being in a position to threaten the opposition backline. Which he does to a greater extent than probably anyone else on the planet, so why on earth should he be spending his time and stamina running around to do hold-ups and link-up passes? Also, what he does produces not just goals but also helps create openings because he's always drawing in a defender or two.

But above all, you'd think people might consider the possibility that he plays this way because Guardiola actually wants him to.

Another irrelevant goal when there's no pressure in a dead rubber.

Biggest stat padder in history.

McTominay's goals won more points last season.
“Dead rubber”
Not even sure I have the capacity as a newbie to put you on ignore in the light of your ABC posts

Another irrelevant goal when there's no pressure in a dead rubber.

Biggest stat padder in history.

McTominay's goals won more points last season.
He certainly is a tap-in merchant with inflated stats. However, in this format with a 36 team table and only getting to face 8 opponents, goal difference will be a huge factor in determining top 8 positions, so still much to play for at 4-0 up.

He certainly is a tap-in merchant with inflated stats. However, in this format with a 36 team table and only getting to face 8 opponents, goal difference will be a huge factor in determining top 8 positions, so still much to play for at 4-0 up.

Why dont other strikers who play/played for City tap in as many goals?

A little unfair. He used his foot to kick the ball on target. Luck was involved with the bounce but let’s give credit where it’s due. It’s a great goal.

Heard all the comments and people banging on about how it was a great goal etc etc. I was very underwhelmed, I thought it was some Ronaldoesque overhead kick or something. L

Obviously he's done great to get across and jump and throw a leg at it like he did, it's great athleticism and anticipation, but it's not like it flew in the goal off his heel, he caught it arseways and a lucky bounce took it in. Aesthetically it's an ugly goal and it's only Sparta Prague vs the biggest cheats in world football.

Is that true?

It sounds the opposite of true.

It isn't really true. It's hard to quantify that sort of stuff the majority of time anyway. For example you'll have goals like Brentford where McTominay turned a loss into a win but then you have games where Haaland has played and scored the 3rd goal in a 5-2 win for City. You can argue both gained points but people put more weight on the former.

It isn't really true. It's hard to quantify that sort of stuff the majority of time anyway. For example you'll have goals like Brentford where McTominay turned a loss into a win but then you have games where Haaland has played and scored the 3rd goal in a 5-2 win for City. You can argue both gained points but people put more weight on the former.
I guess what matters is the score at the time of the goal.

I guess what matters is the score at the time of the goal.

That's where it gets hard to quantify too though. If you score a 4th goal to make it 4-2, while the team that are 3-2 down and are in the ascendancy and look likely to score, is that not also an important goal? Unfortunately raw stat sheets won't remember those sort of things.

“Dead rubber”
Not even sure I have the capacity as a newbie to put you on ignore in the light of your ABC posts
Fair point. It's not fair that individual players should have to shoulder criticism just because they play for, allegedly, the biggest cheats in World Football.

It really wasnt that great he just through his foot at the ball and got a lucky touch that caused it to bounce past the keeper in to the net

Come on man. He jumped in the air with his back to goal, and back heeled the ball on the volley towards goal. It’s a coin flip with regards to whether it hits the deck, top corner or bottom corner and he got course got lucky with the bounce. But he caught it on the full and on target.

If Ibra had done it here, fans would be overstating how great it was.

I’ll hear any critique of Haaland as he’s clearly not the greatest footballer. But it was a wild display of athleticism and he scored.

It's amazing how much I could care less about him as player for how good he is and the records he is setting. I have tons of respect for so many players on rival teams in different sports over many years. The team is so atrocious to me and he just seems so cringeworthy these days.

That's where it gets hard to quantify too though. If you score a 4th goal to make it 4-2, while the team that are 3-2 down and are in the ascendancy and look likely to score, is that not also an important goal? Unfortunately raw stat sheets won't remember those sort of things.

This is an issue for all sorts of stats though ? For example our game against Fulham in the PL opener, we had better xG but you have to look at the time of the chance.. the Garnacho chance probably had a very high xG and would have killed the game off and inflated our xG.

Or say a team is 3-0 up and gives 2/3 very good chances, the xG could show a closer game than it was?