Nordic Ghost Yeti (Scandi Carroll) | Haaland at City

100m :lol: As expected he’s treating them as a stepping stone.

I mentioned this before to people who thought he'd not use United as a stepping stone, he 100% would. He mentioned it when he signed for City that he'd like to play for Madrid and 'all the big clubs once'. The guy is a total mercenary. A top class one but still a mercenary.

And while City have the luxury to go and spend another £100 million and another £100 million and another (just like how they did it with their defence) to replace mercenaries, other clubs don't have such luxuries.

I wouldn't say mercenary is the right word for him. I think money is obviously a motivator for people in football and life but I think he wants to break records and win stuff everywhere across the continent. He's pretty much completed the City chapter now.

I wouldn't say mercenary is the right word for him. I think money is obviously a motivator for people in football and life but I think he wants to break records and win stuff everywhere across the continent. He's pretty much completed the City chapter now.
I don’t thinks he’s completed his city chapter just yet if he’s signing an extension.
He’s just looking after his long term interests, he may well have his mind on playing for City until retirement but keeping himself in a situation where he has a get-out clause for some calamitous event.
EG: City get thrown out of the league.
Fallout with club or manager,
City no longer in a situation to win title/ trophies
Absolutely nothing wrong about protecting his future with such a clause, every top class player should be doing it really

Yeah I think it’s probably protection for if City get kicked out of the league. Realistically without that happening, there are little to no viable options for him. It’s alright saying ‘I want to play for Real Madrid’ but they are already top heavy and just bought Mbappé, already have Vini, Rodrygo, Endrick, Bellingham etc. Barcelona’s finances would need to seriously improve to have any chance, while Serie A couldn’t afford him. Maybe Bayern if Kane retired but he’s already been in Bundesliga. PSG could afford it but Ligue 1 is a step down. It is not the same market as 2010 where everyone good just goes to Real/Barca

Give away price, £100m is probably near half his true value.

Every club wants him, he can go wherever he wants.

@FotbollHistoriker

The top scoring front threes in Europe's top 5 leagues

9uJqzUe.jpeg

Reactions: Fortitude
I mentioned this before to people who thought he'd not use United as a stepping stone, he 100% would. He mentioned it when he signed for City that he'd like to play for Madrid and 'all the big clubs once'. The guy is a total mercenary. A top class one but still a mercenary.

And while City have the luxury to go and spend another £100 million and another £100 million and another (just like how they did it with their defence) to replace mercenaries, other clubs don't have such luxuries.
This seems like a bitter attack on him for no readon. Why is he a mercenary? He chose the best footballing choice for his career at the time, and considering he won the treble, his decision was justified. Not to mention his father played for City.

This seems like a bitter attack on him for no readon. Why is he a mercenary? He chose the best footballing choice for his career at the time, and considering he won the treble, his decision was justified. Not to mention his father played for City.
He chose the option which paid the most money. Which was made possible at City for reasons which we all know about. Me and you would have gone after the most money too, which is human nature.

He has no longing to a particular club ie making him a mercenary. Its not bitter at all. Just factual.

He chose the option which paid the most money. Which was made possible at City for reasons which we all know about. Me and you would have gone after the most money too, which is human nature.

He has no longing to a particular club ie making him a mercenary. Its not bitter at all. Just factual.
1 No we don't, most assume it so and it suits you to believe it.

2 No it isn't, it's your personal view

City does pay more than United sure, but he also has family history with the club. The fact that City offers more money and is a better club sporting wise nowadays doesn't negate that family bond.

And this is from a Bayern fan who hated him at BVB. I don't necessarily see him as a mercinary, but guess what, players do "step up" in their career, unless you are lucky enough to be a great player brought up in the right academy of one of the big clubs.

1 No we don't, most assume it so and it suits you to believe it.

2 No it isn't, it's your personal view
I am sorry you're right, its not City who have 115 charges case going on right now, nor is it City who were paying managers and agents brown envelopes via offshore companies so they could join them.

I am sure City can afford Haaland via totally legitimate sponsorship deals, the biggest shirt sales in the world and the most revenue surpassing Madrid, Barca, United and Liverpool. All legitimately, you're right.

Also the bit about me saying my view is 'factual', was the bit about Haaland being a mercenary. It is factual. He's not a one man club, where the money is Haaland will follow. And like I said, can't blame him. Hence the guy himself wanting release clauses and saying in the past he wants to play for all the big clubs.

I am sorry you're right, its not City who have 115 charges case going on right now, nor is it City who were paying managers and agents brown envelopes via offshore companies so they could join them.

I am sure City can afford Haaland via totally legitimate sponsorship deals, the biggest shirt sales in the world and the most revenue surpassing Madrid, Barca, United and Liverpool. All legitimately, you're right.

Also the bit about me saying my view is 'factual', was the bit about Haaland being a mercenary. It is factual. He's not a one man club, where the money is Haaland will follow. And like I said, can't blame him. Hence the guy himself wanting release clauses and saying in the past he wants to play for all the big clubs.

You are one salty dude. And no, your opinions are still not facts.

Edit: But then again Arsenal fans 10-2 be a bit delusional.

Who the feck is these days? :lol:

Also, you said most everyone on here including yourself would go for the money too. The term mercenary is a bit watered down if it applies to everyone but a handful of people.

I suppose we disagree there. You seem to think he’s only at City for the money. I personally think he’s trying to have the best possible career and joining a team with City’s chance creation and creativity seemed logical.

I suppose we disagree there. You seem to think he’s only at City for the money. I personally think he’s trying to have the best possible career and joining a team with City’s chance creation and creativity seemed logical.

"I personally think he’s trying to have the best possible career"

Then why choose City? He could have gone to Real Madrid and won everything there while scoring loads of goals.

I’m wasting one of my 2 available posts to say “ Wow”

Who the feck is these days? :lol:

Also, you said most everyone on here including yourself would go for the money too. The term mercenary is a bit watered down if it applies to everyone but a handful of people.

I don't see any other big player insisting the club add release clauses in their contract? Salah? Saka? Saliba? The only reason a majority of these players join City is money. Otherwise the same glory could be had at Madrid or Bayern. You, us and Liverpool could have easily afforded the £51 million for his contract to get him. What we could not have afforded was the ridiculous other fees City paid for him, by totally...legitimate means.

Could have had it at Madrid.

Then why choose City? He could have gone to Real Madrid and won everything there while scoring loads of goals.
Exactly.

I couldnt tell you for certain but Madrid were all over Mbappe back in 2022. Was Haaland even a priority for them? cant stand City but they were literally the perfect time and place to experience the prem. He’ll probably go to a spanish giant next as a footballer’s lifespan is short and he’ll want to experience it all.
I may be in the minority but Haaland comes off as a supremely professional athlete who breathes (and apparently sleeps with) football.

He won a treble at City in his first season. A season he would have spent at Dortmund, if he wanted Madrid. Because Madrid weren't signing him before 2023

He won a treble at City in his first season. A season he would have spent at Dortmund, if he wanted Madrid. Because Madrid weren't signing him before 2023

There is no way Real just sat back and allowed City to snap him up, Real will have at the very least made an approach but were unable to match the massive ammount of money City were willing to spend and pay him to secure his signature.

He went to City for the money and the money alone

I don't see any other big player insisting the club add release clauses in their contract? Salah? Saka? Saliba? The only reason a majority of these players join City is money. Otherwise the same glory could be had at Madrid or Bayern. You, us and Liverpool could have easily afforded the £51 million for his contract to get him. What we could not have afforded was the ridiculous other fees City paid for him, by totally...legitimate means.

Could have had it at Madrid.

Exactly.

And then he would be stuck with you lot saying he was only doing it in the "farmer leagues". That sounds like a reason alone to want to try yourself in the PL, and what better club than the one your father played for? Who pays well, and also is the best team in the league?

I get that people don't like City, I don't either. But some of these arguments are more horrible to read than my Ex's creditscore.

There is no way Real just sat back and allowed City to snap him up, Real will have at the very least made an approach but were unable to match the massive ammount of money City were willing to spend and pay him to secure his signature.

We did. We told him to stay put until 2023. He didn't want to wait, went to City and won everything in his first season

He won the treble in his 1st season at City

Yeah I think it’s probably protection for if City get kicked out of the league. Realistically without that happening, there are little to no viable options for him. It’s alright saying ‘I want to play for Real Madrid’ but they are already top heavy and just bought Mbappé, already have Vini, Rodrygo, Endrick, Bellingham etc. Barcelona’s finances would need to seriously improve to have any chance, while Serie A couldn’t afford him. Maybe Bayern if Kane retired but he’s already been in Bundesliga. PSG could afford it but Ligue 1 is a step down. It is not the same market as 2010 where everyone good just goes to Real/Barca

Predicting it now: we sign one of these two for £200m and they sign Haaland for £100m.

So what? He could easilly have won the treble in his first season at Real
He's won the treble, 2 pl titles and broken ancient domestic scoring records in his 2 full seasons. Its been a very successful move both in team trophies and individual records and awards.

Last edited:

100m :lol: As expected he’s treating them as a stepping stone.

I wanted him at Madrid so bad instead of Mbappe as he is more the profile of player we're missing up top.

So what? He could easilly have won the treble in his first season at Real
He couldn't cause City would have beat them anyway, according to half this thread even easier than they did cause Haaland holds City back or something. I think you may have even said something similar yourself.

£100m sounds good but I bet he'd want a massive signing on fee for himself as well.

£100m sounds good but I bet he'd want a massive signing on fee for himself as well.
He puts a release clause in all his contracts below his perceived market value for this very reason. Its was discussed to death when he signed for City, it's around £150m I think. He did it at every single club he's been at. He's already stated he doesn't wanna stay anywhere more than 3-4 years so it'd make sense if he signs and extension at City he'll want an out.

The people in here thinking Dortmund were happy and wanted a £51m clause etc.. are away with the birds.

Give it up lad. You’re wrong.