Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

1966-version-2.jpeg

https://beyondthelastman.com/2013/04/29/eric-battys-world-xis-the-sixties/
Cheers mate. Who was the post about? It's been doing my head in.

The problem often is getting a zillion hits for the pick list

Ah. Maybe find EAP list of Drafts and find some match day threads as in the past they have been monumental; they also may have links to the appropriate page in the main thread.

Ah. Maybe find EAP list of Drafts and find some match day threads as in the past they have been monumental; they also may have links to the appropriate page in the main thread.
Links in main page are rare and I agree much of the top material is buried in gamethreads.

It's precisely why we are doing this.

I think there are various ways of working together.

Examples:

- Mister Spain is in charge of Spain. He asks for help in this thread. Some manifest themselves. Mister Spain send a PM to the guys (PM with various participants) and collect some profiles.
- Another option would be to say 'Let's focus our energy on 2-3 countries to begin. Once done, we move on and focus on another 2-3 countries and so on.

Thanks. Good to know.

The research function will be very helpful for anyone.

Personally I think it might be more fun and realistic to just add profiles as we feel like it, and then keep an index at the beginning of the thread linking to individual posts.

Personally I think it might be more fun and realistic to just add profiles as we feel like it, and then keep an index at the beginning of the thread linking to individual posts.

That's basically what I proposed as well. Let anyone chip in with reposts, copy/paste jobs or new material - just make sure it meets a certain standard. People can then comment on the efforts and suggest changes, additions, etc.

Links in the OP (or first string of posts - might want to sort things into categories, reserving a few initial posts for that purpose) will make it orderly and easy to search.

You're right. More realistic to have a mega-thread with all the profiles. No discussions then.

I thought the idea was to create a thread per country/topic.

Annahnomoss: Sweden 1950s, Gren, Nordahl, Liedholm

Joga Bonito: Law, Schuster, Netzer, Suárez, Müller, McGrath

antohan:
Uruguay 1924-30, JL Andrade, Uruguay 1950, VR Andrade, Varela, Ghiggia, Schiaffino, Peñarol 1960s, Gonçalves, Abbadie, Joya, Spencer, Figueroa, Fernando Morena. These are those I picked before, welcome additions like Nassazi/Scarone/Matosas/Rocha/Cubilla

Raees:
Karel Pesek, Josef Masopust, Didi, KH Schnellinger.

OneNil: Sócrates, Zico

harms: Streltsov, Dzajic, Voronin, van Moer, Yashin, Blokhin, Netto, Shesternyov and Khurtsilava

Downcast: Hungary (NT, Puskas, Bozsik, Kocsis, Hidegkuti...) and later France (NT, main French players)

Mazhar: van Himst, Skoblar, Benarrivo

That's what we will be doing, except rather than "when we feel like it" we will try to have topics going at any one time so they get discussed in full.

Very easy to get a mod to move/rearrrange posts etc.

So when are you putting up the thread @antohan ?

Think I'll take the route less taken and try to get profiles on managers. @Balu did a fantastic job with Béla Guttmann in the Managers Draft and hopefully I can get something similar about Stein, Sachi, Herrera, Sebes etc. And possibly cover some tactics (catenaccio, Total Football etc) along with this.

Very easy to get a mod to move/rearrrange posts etc.

So when are you putting up the thread @antohan ?

Think I'll take the route less taken and try to get profiles on managers. @Balu did a fantastic job with Béla Guttmann in the Managers Draft and hopefully I can get something similar about Stein, Sachi, Herrera, Sebes etc. And possibly cover some tactics (catenaccio, Total Football etc) along with this.

Go for it. The managers bit.

Writing about catenaccio or total football is too huge a topic IMO because you end up getting into the understanding of, say, Total Football by various managers, with remarkable teams and plenty of individual stars to cover on the way. You will end up not telling your head from your arse tbh.

Manager/Team is the widest context we should venture into and always trying to be concrete and contributing to a better understanding over a quick read. It's not meant to be a Football Bible, nobody will read that.

Re: thread start. We still have some more sign ups out there, surely?

Go for it. The managers bit.

Writing about catenaccio or total football is too huge a topic IMO because you end up getting into the understanding of, say, Total Football by various managers, with remarkable teams and plenty of individual stars to cover on the way. You will end up not telling your head from your arse tbh.

Manager/Team is the widest context we should venture into and always trying to be concrete and contributing to a better understanding over a quick read. It's not meant to be a Football Bible, nobody will read that.

Re: thread start. We still have some more sign ups out there, surely?

Yeah, will not make it a tactics post...just a brief touch relevant to the managers themselves. I suggest 3 broad categories with sub divisions, like

1. Great Players
  • Attackers (Forwards, Strikers, Wingers, AMs, F9s)
  • Midfielders (CMs/DMs, Halfbacks)
  • Defenders (CB, FB, Sweeper)
  • Goalkeepers
2. Great Teams
  • Club
  • Country
3. Great Managers

And as to start, I think you can get the thread up and posts will start trickling in. Don't see the need for a formal sign up. We can just collate existing writeup's to start with and then move on as such.

Last edited:
I'll do a few of the Lisbon Lions at some point. Bobby Murdoch for sure, and probably Tommy Gemmell and Jimmy Johnstone. I know @Gio would appreciate a glowing tribute to Bertie Auld too.
Wonderful.

Interestingly though I used to stay in the same building as the late Tommy. And when we moved a few miles down the road, his regular watering hole was our new local. They served the best Guinness in Scotland IMO, lovely stuff.

Great player though, very few full-backs have ever got into the mixer for a Ballon D'Or.

Wonderful.

Interestingly though I used to stay in the same building as the late Tommy. And when we moved a few miles down the road, his regular watering hole was our new local. They served the best Guinness in Scotland IMO, lovely stuff.

Great player though, very few full-backs have ever got into the mixer for a Ballon D'Or.
Need you to tell us more about the likes of Eric Caldow

Yeah, will not make it a tactics post...just a brief touch relevant to the managers themselves. I suggest 3 broad categories with sub divisions, like

1. Great Players
  • Attackers (Forwards, Strikers, Wingers, AMs, F9s)
  • Midfielders (CMs/DMs, Halfbacks)
  • Defenders (CB, FB, Sweeper)
  • Goalkeepers
2. Great Teams
  • Club
  • Country
3. Great Managers

And as to start, I think you can get the thread up and posts will start trickling in. Don't see the need for a formal sign up. We can just collate existing writeup's to start with and then move on as such.
We've already discussed all this.

Trust the process.

Wonderful.

Aye, and probably the only full-back to have scored in 2 European Cup Finals, scoring in one itself is quite the achievement.

Annahnomoss: Sweden 1950s, Gren, Nordahl, Liedholm

Joga Bonito: Law, Schuster, Netzer, Suárez, Müller, McGrath

antohan:
Uruguay 1924-30, JL Andrade, Uruguay 1950, VR Andrade, Varela, Ghiggia, Schiaffino, Peñarol 1960s, Gonçalves, Abbadie, Joya, Spencer, Figueroa, Fernando Morena. These are those I picked before, welcome additions like Nassazi/Scarone/Matosas/Rocha/Cubilla

Raees:
Karel Pesek, Josef Masopust, Didi, KH Schnellinger.

OneNil: Sócrates, Zico

harms: Streltsov, Dzajic, Voronin, van Moer, Yashin, Blokhin, Netto, Shesternyov and Khurtsilava

Downcast: Hungary (NT, Puskas, Bozsik, Kocsis, Hidegkuti...) and later France (NT, main French players)

Mazhar: van Himst, Skoblar, Benarrivo

Pat Mustard
: Lisbon Lions + Bobby Murdoch, Tommy Gemmell, Jimmy Johnstone, Bertie Auld.

Wonderful.

Great stuff. Did you ever speak with him? He was so modern in his rampaging attacking game. Its easy to imagine him slotting into a top team today without a hitch.

Aye, and probably the only full-back to have scored in 2 European Cup Finals, scoring in one itself is quite the achievement.
Phil Neal scored in 2 too, I believe, in 1977 (a pen though) and in 1984, also scored a penalty in a shootout

List of Drafts:

Draft I:
Cal?'s - New Fantasy Draft (Winner: Cal?)
Draft II: Polaroid's - Retro Fantasy Draft - all players born in 60s (Winner: Polaroid)
Draft III: Cal?'s - 70s Fantasy Draft (Winner: Cling Bak)
Draft IV: Polaroid's - Man Utd Legends Draft (Winner: DanNistelrooy)
Draft V: Brwned's - 50s Fantasy Draft (Winner: Brwned)
Draft VI: Polaroid's Premier League 20 Season Draft (Winner: Gio)
Draft VII: antohan's All -Time Fantasy Draft (Winner: antohan)
Draft VIII: Theon's - Champions League Draft (Winner: Gio)
Draft IX: Aldo's - Decades Draft (Winner: Theon)
Draft X: The Next Generation Draft (Winner: NM/Snow)
Draft XI: World Cup All Time All Stars Draft (Winner: Annahnomoss)
Draft XII: Aldo's - Sheep Draft (Winner: Gio)
Draft XIII: Polaroid's - Transfer Muppet Draft (Winner: MJJ)
Draft XIIV: Annahnomoss's - Auction Draft (Winner: Cutch/Annah)
Draft XV: rpitroda's - Criteria Draft (Winner: Aldo)
Draft XVI: EAP's - Reality Draft (Winner: antohan)
Draft XVII: Annahnomoss's - Managers Draft (Winner: EAP)
Draft XVIII: crappycraperson's - British Irish Draft (Winner: MJJ)
Draft XIX: EAP's - Modern Era Draft (Winner: Theon)
Draft XX: Skizzo's - Second Sheep Draft (Winner: Cutch)
Draft XXI: Balu's - Euro Draft (Winner: Joga Bonito)
Draft XXII: Annahnomoss's - All Time Auction Draft (Winner: Cal?)
Draft XXIII: Skizzo's All Time Premier League Draft (Winner: Skizzo/Pat)
Draft XXIV: EAP's Chain Draft (Winner: The Stain)
Draft XXV: Aldo's 40s Retro Draft (Winner: Gio/Theon)
Draft XXVI: Gio's Third Redcafe Sheep Draft (Winner: Stobzilla)
Draft XXVII: Physiocrat's Billy No Mates Draft (Winner: Joga Bonito/Gio)
Draft XXVIII: Marty1968's Three Leagues Draft (Winner: Enigma87/Snow)
Draft XXIX: Aldo's Reserves Draft (Winner: RedTiger/Joga Bonito/Balu)
Draft XXX: Joga's Remake Draft (Winner: Gio)
Draft XXXI: EAP's Double Draft (Winner: harms)
Draft XXXII: Chesterlestreet's Americas Draft (Winner: Enigma87/Joga Bonito)
Draft XXXIII: EAP/anto's Las Vegas Monopoly Draft (Winner: Jayvin)
Draft XXXIV: Physiocrat's Surveillance Draft (Winner: Tuppet)
Draft XXXV: harms's Eastern European Draft (Winner: Skizzo/Annahnomoss)
Draft XXXVI: Stain/anto's Fourth Sheep Draft (Winner: Downcast)
Draft XXXVII: Annahnomoss/green_smiley's International Peak Draft (Winner: TBC)

Need you to tell us more about the likes of Eric Caldow
Now there's a player. Very quick and good on both flanks. Apparently rated by Gento as his toughest opponent. Became captain of Rangers and Scotland as a proper and classy leader. He was cut down in his prime at 28 after this challenge by Spurs and England hatchet man Bobby Smith - broke his leg in three places. Despite that he did fight back and managed to re-establish himself after a couple of years, albeit was never the same player again. Nevertheless, probably Rangers' greatest ever left-back. To a man, everyone comments on how much of a gentleman he is, unfortunately he's now battling Alzheimer's.

Great stuff. Did you ever speak with him? He was so modern in his rampaging attacking game. Its easy to imagine him slotting into a top team today without a hitch.
Nothing interesting to report really, my missus did more though.

Now there's a player. Very quick and good on both flanks. Apparently rated by Gento as his toughest opponent. Became captain of Rangers and Scotland as a proper and classy leader. He was cut down in his prime at 28 after this challenge by Spurs and England hatchet man Bobby Smith - broke his leg in three places. Despite that he did fight back and managed to re-establish himself after a couple of years, albeit was never the same player again. Nevertheless, probably Rangers' greatest ever left-back. To a man, everyone comments on how much of a gentleman he is, unfortunately he's now battling Alzheimer's.

Nothing interesting to report really, my missus did more though.
Cheers.

Yeah came across him not to long ago and it was quite a great read going through his career exploits, should probably be held in the same high regard as some other highly rated Scots. Real shame about his current troubles.

After some time, when we get around to all time again....I think we should have a SH-AKE DRAFT (SHeep+snAKE). (and yeah, I'm that inventive in naming)

All 16 managers will PM their picks to the mod. Managers with unique picks will get their players. All overlaps will be placed in block list and managers will not have any players for that round. No sheep or anything. Just roll on to next round, rinse and repeat. This means certain managers will have more players than others as the round goes, but that's OK. We'll just have rounds till all have 12 players.

And, what's the plan for next one? Any different criteria?

¡Hola chico!

Do you have a suggestion for the template? What about the process?

Thanks.

In God we trust
It's all on hold until later in the current draft. An international tournament peak draft isn't the best to start running that in parallel. Most of the material we had ready would wind up seemingly a marketing ploy for certain managers.

It's all on hold until later in the current draft. An international tournament peak draft isn't the best to start running that in parallel. Most of the material we had ready would wind up seemingly a marketing ploy for certain managers.

I thought it was the best time to launch it in order to have all the profiles in the same thread.

Also, it also depends on the criteria: gif/videos authorized? Into spoiler? A particular template? A mention of the weaknesses and top skills?

Let's see it later then.

What about a Champions league/European league draft where you choose a year, then you can only get players who played in the campaign that year, and at the level they were playing.

What about a Champions league/European league draft where you choose a year, then you can only get players who played in the campaign that year, and at the level they were playing.
Too difficult to draw the line clearly. It's already hard enough to split NT tourno from club form.