Next Draft - Ideas and Discussions

EAP will do something stupid anyway, so it's all good. If there's anyone who won't make good use of the number 1 spot, it's him after all.
84966365.jpg

The National draft
Snake draft
Criteria; The players peak is based on their performances in one of the following tournaments.

World Cup
European Championship
Olympics
Copa America/SAC
*Rules will be clarified and updated

Already randomized order by Balu
  1. EAP
  2. Sjor
  3. Isotope
  4. 2Mufc0
  5. Tuppet
  6. Pat Mustard
  7. Skizzo
  8. P-Nut/Enigma
  9. Onenil
  10. Mazhar
  11. Joga Bonito
  12. Gio
  13. Raees/Invictus
  14. Annahnomoss
  15. Moby
  16. DownCast

The National draft
Snake draft
Criteria; The players peak is based on their performances in one of the following tournaments.

World Cup
European Championship
Olympics
Copa America/SAC
*Rules will be clarified and updated

Already randomized order by Balu
  1. EAP
  2. Sjor
  3. Isotope
  4. 2Mufc0
  5. Tuppet
  6. Pat Mustard
  7. Skizzo
  8. P-Nut/Enigma
  9. Onenil
  10. Mazhar
  11. Joga Bonito
  12. Gio
  13. Raees/Invictus
  14. Annahnomoss
  15. Moby
  16. DownCast
Are we not including the Africa cup of nations too?

We've done auction drafts before. I was wondering if we could get some semblance of order the the bid values. Maybe segregate them into minimum bid value buckets and the like. Maybe like a online marketplace... As in these players have the below as minimum bid amounts for initial and reinforcement rounds.

For example, is getting on a exercise to get something like this be useful? Proceed with more players and down the value chain till $40m and then leave the rest to min $10m bids.

Pb3fMCJ.jpg

If the above works out, then maybe we can try a criteria/auction draft after Annah's NT draft.
Looks good mate, although the groups you have chosen are arbitrary IMO. For example Hamrin @90 and Ronaldinho/Czibor/Nedved/Rivaldo @70. Also Zidane is present in two groups but all in all that's a good idea, maybe we can nominate and iron it out like in the double draft you've run.

Yeah, it will be. But I presume we can agree on a majority. The stragglers, we can nominate in to one or other.
If we're talking specifics, I think we should have a bigger step between the groups - say 150*, 100, 75, 50, 30, 20, 10
*Pele, Maradona, Messi, Di Stefano, Beckenbauer, Cruyff

If we're talking specifics, I think we should have a bigger step between the groups - say 150*, 100, 75, 50, 30, 20, 10

A bigger gap probably makes it easier to separate the players aswell.

Like the difference between a 75m player and a 50m player will be easier to explain than between a 60m and 50m

A bigger gap probably makes it easier to separate the players aswell.

Like the difference between a 75m player and a 50m player will be easier to explain than between a 60m and 50m

I'm thinking of this as a pet project, so yeah I'll probably work on this more.

I thought of bigger buckets, but that would means the chances of not getting a consensus would be more.

I thought of bigger buckets, but that would means the chances of not getting a consensus would be more.

I don't think that a consensus really matters that much. If managers think that, say, Hamrin at 90m minimum is over-priced then they won't bid on him. Conversely, a 10m minimum bid player could end up going for huge bucks. The usual auction mechanics will iron things out, with the upside of your model being cutting out the boring low bids for the top names.

The biggest decision for the draftmaster to make is on the minimum bid for Pele, Messi etc relative to the overall budget per manager - how badly do you want to hamstring someone who is determined to bag a GOAT, or will you be lenient and let the market decide that?

Awesome idea EAP. The only issue is that the sheep draft is an all time one, the national draft will be close to an all time one, so maybe the same concept but go for something else than an all time one? Will be a bit rich with the same restriction over three consecutive drafts.

Love the concept though I must say and I am a big fan of the regular auction draft, they are one of my favorites.

We've done auction drafts before. I was wondering if we could get some semblance of order the the bid values. Maybe segregate them into minimum bid value buckets and the like. Maybe like a online marketplace...

I like the disorder of a free market but a good compromise would be:

- 'Impossible to get Pelé/Maradona/Di Stefano... for an amount inferior to 30m'
- 'Impossible to get Rijkaard/Falcao/Varela... for an amount inferior to 20m'
- 'Impossible to get Eto'o/Busquets/... for an amount inferior to 10m'

Awesome idea EAP. The only issue is that the sheep draft is an all time one, the national draft will be close to an all time one, so maybe the same concept but go for something else than an all time one? Will be a bit rich with the same restriction over three consecutive drafts.

Love the concept though I must say and I am a big fan of the regular auction draft, they are one of my favorites.

Maybe get in a few different drafts in the mean time and then we can re-enter the All Time context with EAP's draft..

I agree with that. However I like harms idea of separating the GOAT's in a different tier with maybe even bigger cap to enter. Rest can stay the same but for the likes of Pele, Messi etc should be 125 for example.

OK, then.

We've been discussing the whole Player Profile Megathread thing and have got to an agreement on how to run with it.

In short, someone takes on the profiling of a player, published the post, thread title changes indicating who is being portrayed, discussion for a couple of days and when it starts dying down the guy writing the original post edits it to incorporate valuable contributions and that post gets hyperlinked in the main page.

There will also be scope for Great teams and Managers (as these and the players often can't be profiled without that context).

A great starting point will be collating loads of work that you guys have already done in the past so please reply to the sign-up below putting yourself forward and what you will cover.

Annahnomoss: Sweden 1950s, Gren, Nordahl, Liedholm
Joga Bonito: Law, Schuster, Netzer, Suárez, Müller
antohan: Uruguay 1924-30, JL Andrade, Uruguay 1950, VR Andrade, Varela, Ghiggia, Schiaffino, Peñarol 1960s, Gonçalves, Abbadie, Joya, Spencer, Fernando Morena. These are those I picked before, welcome additions like Nassazi/Scarone/Matosas/Rocha/Cubilla.

Raees: Karel Pesek, Josef Masopust, Didi, KH Schnellinger.

Last edited:

Joga Bonito: Law, Schuster, Netzer, Suárez, Müller

antohan:
Uruguay 1924-30, JL Andrade, Uruguay 1950, VR Andrade, Varela, Ghiggia, Schiaffino, Peñarol 1960s, Gonçalves, Abbadie, Joya, Spencer, Fernando Morena. These are those I picked before, welcome additions like Nassazi/Scarone/Matosas/Rocha/Cubilla.

Raees:
Karel Pesek, Josef Masopust, Didi, KH Schnellinger.

Joga Bonito: Law, Schuster, Netzer, Suárez, Müller, McGrath

antohan:
Uruguay 1924-30, JL Andrade, Uruguay 1950, VR Andrade, Varela, Ghiggia, Schiaffino, Peñarol 1960s, Gonçalves, Abbadie, Joya, Spencer, Fernando Morena. These are those I picked before, welcome additions like Nassazi/Scarone/Matosas/Rocha/Cubilla.

Raees:

harms: Streltsov, Dzajic, Voronin, van Moer
I've probably done some other profiles, will try to remember which ones.
It'll be logical to give me some Soviet greats, maybe Yashin (who has lots of myths around him), Blokhin (some video compilation on him is well overdue), Netto (had something written him in one of the drafts); maybe Shesternyov and Khurtsilava too

Going through my videos:
I can send my Schuster all touch videos (vs Netherlands and Belgium in 1980) to Joga
I have 18 minutes long compilation of Masopust from the 1962 World Cup
Figueroa's performance against Germany in 1974
Tom Finney against West Brom in FA Cup final in 1954 (amazing performance and interesting to see him as a traditional right winger, given that he played all over the front line)
+ Brehme's performance against Netherlands on the right flank (1992 I think it is)

Not sure how much of it is on youtube, ideally I should edit back all the stuff I edited out due to youtube copyright issues and reupload it to the daily motion (an absolute bitch of a task :()

Last edited:
OneNil: Sócrates, Zico

There are a few more that I have collected some info from a number of sources on another hard drive as well.

antohan:
Uruguay 1924-30, JL Andrade, Uruguay 1950, VR Andrade, Varela, Ghiggia, Schiaffino, Peñarol 1960s, Gonçalves, Abbadie, Joya, Spencer, Figueroa, Fernando Morena. These are those I picked before, welcome additions like Nassazi/Scarone/Matosas/Rocha/Cubilla

Raees:

harms: Streltsov, Dzajic, Voronin, van Moer, Yashin, Blokhin, Netto, Shesternyov and Khurtsilava

antohan:
Uruguay 1924-30, JL Andrade, Uruguay 1950, VR Andrade, Varela, Ghiggia, Schiaffino, Peñarol 1960s, Gonçalves, Abbadie, Joya, Spencer, Figueroa, Fernando Morena. These are those I picked before, welcome additions like Nassazi/Scarone/Matosas/Rocha/Cubilla

Raees:

harms: Streltsov, Dzajic, Voronin, van Moer, Yashin, Blokhin, Netto, Shesternyov and Khurtsilava

Downcast: Hungary (NT, Puskas, Bozsik, Kocsis, Hidegkuti...) and later France (NT, main French players)

I think there are various ways of working together.

Examples:

- Mister Spain is in charge of Spain. He asks for help in this thread. Some manifest themselves. Mister Spain send a PM to the guys (PM with various participants) and collect some profiles.
- Another option would be to say 'Let's focus our energy on 2-3 countries to begin. Once done, we move on and focus on another 2-3 countries and so on.

@Downcast. Look up aranycsapat in the Decades draft. I tried a homage side so must have written a fair bit about them.

Thanks. Good to know.

The research function will be very helpful for anyone.

I think there are various ways of working together.

Examples:

- Mister Spain is in charge of Spain. He asks for help in this thread. Some manifest themselves. Mister Spain send a PM to the guys (PM with various participants) and collect some profiles.
- Another option would be to say 'Let's focus our energy on 2-3 countries to begin. Once done, we move on and focus on another 2-3 countries and so on.

We will put together a schedule of sorts once the sign ups are done. It will be best to start with teams and their players (I'm expecting some of those in the managers draft to add Lobanovsky, Sacchi, etc).

Whoever is Mr. Spain can then ask for assistance with X, Y or Z (e.g. I never picked Scarone or Rocha so I'm sure someone can help with that).

Thanks. Good to know.

The research function will be very helpful for anyone.
It isn't really. Just checked and got it wrong (it was the WC peak draft) and the only post I can find through search is in the Chain Draft

BTW, someone posted a news/mag cutout from 1963 or 1965 in the last 6 months. It had a World XI on it featuring Tito. Anyone remember where it is? I can't find it. Probably someone writing about another chap in that XI.

It isn't really. Just checked and got it wrong (it was the WC peak draft) and the only post I can find through search is in the Chain Draft

Google site search is your friend. Type site:www.redcafe.net Alberto Spencer this will find all posts from the Caf relating to Alberto Spencer. Obviously putting him in "Guillermo Delgado" will find both names next to each whereas the former finds them I think within 250 words of each other.

Google site search is your friend. Type site:www.redcafe.net Alberto Spencer this will find all posts from the Caf relating to Alberto Spencer. Obviously putting him in "Guillermo Delgado" will find both names next to each whereas the former finds them I think within 250 words of each other.
The problem often is getting a zillion hits for the pick list