New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford | Aim is to build 100k seater stadium

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 1,015 56.9%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 768 43.1%

• Total voters
We still havent paid back most of the money that Malcolm Glazer borrowed to buy the club 20 years ago so how are we going to pay back further loans of between £1.5 and £2bn?

Any plans for a new stadium should be put on the back burner at least until the current debt is dealt with overwise the debt could reach a level thats unsustainable.
Nobody is saying the debt is good or should have been allowed in the first place, but it is a managed debt. We are paying the interest payments and it is under control. If we have to take a loan to pay for a new stadium (which btw INEOS said we wouldn’t) it will be totally different and seperate from the Glazer debt. It will be on terms the club is comfortable it can afford and it would be a perfectly normal way to pay for a stadium like Spurs or Arsenal.

I was mostly joking mate. But it'll be the same problem everywhere local to OT. The only stadium in the area over 30k is the Emptyhad. I don't see us playing there.

I wonder if a temporary stadium could be an option but I've never seen a large one for football bar that stand the Russians buit for the 2018 WC.

Something like this maybe:
Ignoring Citeh and Scousers, these are the closest at over 30k.

Pride Park has 33 597

Bramall Lane has 32 702

Ewood Park has 31,367

It’s a different way of tackling things. But I think we are not going to see superstar buys anymore
Sir Jim has said as much, and I think he is the kind of bloke who follows through on what he says. I also think he is certain the route they are taking with the club is the correct one, and he is determined to see results in tue time scale laid out (2/3 seasons)

We still havent paid back most of the money that Malcolm Glazer borrowed to buy the club 20 years ago so how are we going to pay back further loans of between £1.5 and £2bn?

Any plans for a new stadium should be put on the back burner at least until the current debt is dealt with overwise the debt could reach a level thats unsustainable.
That's managed debt there are people paid to specifically control that (Whatever big bank was used). That won't make too much of a difference in terms of financing a new stadium.

Ignoring Citeh and Scousers, these are the closest at over 30k.

Pride Park has 33 597

Bramall Lane has 32 702

Ewood Park has 31,367

Of those 3 only Ewood Park would be practical. But still no where near big enough. United have 50,000 season ticket holders

If the freight terminal needs to be moved first with the government paying for that. Before contruction begins then I wouldn't expect it to be starting any time soon.
Approval is probably going to take ages if that is the case. Must the freight terminal be moved? Thought United own a significant size of land around the current stadium.

I'd say work would start late next year and could then take around 3 years so your looking 2028?! Would we move into the stadium mid season?
I am afraid 2028 would be optimistic. Would be great of course but I fear it will take longer than that.

Approval is probably going to take ages if that is the case. Must the freight terminal be moved? Thought United own a significant size of land around the current stadium.

I think the land would be needed to accommodate the footprint of a 90k+ seater stadium.

And as I understand it United only lease the land they don't own it.

Said it time and time again, but new stadium is a must. Just build it in the same area but keep the current stadium there until the new one is finished. Start work on decreasing capacity of that one and modernise the facilities, create more space between seats etc. Most of the current OT would still change a fair bit, but it'd be the same plot, pitch etc. It will have significant cost to do such a thing, but I do think it would be good to keep the history for that.

We've seen a lot of debate about where we'd play, but other than sharing with City there isn't anywhere local enough (and feasible enough) to be able to fit our Season Ticket holders in. There would probably be weeks where it's agreed we play at Wembley or one of the other 60k+ London stadiums etc if planned far enough in advance, but something that worries me isn't the restriction of finding suitable stadiums in the North West or even the UK. It's the problem of how marketable the Premier League is and what we are seeing happen in other sports or now other football leagues.

Barcelona will play Atletico in Miami as one of their Home fixtures. Do you honestly think the Glazer's won't be getting a chub on at the prospect of this? If we had seasons where Old Trafford wasn't available, then you can guarantee the owners will try their best to get as many United Home PL games in America, Saudi, China etc. You just know it would happen, they could take United's PL season on tour, and probably would. Perfect timing for our owners as this fad of playing Home games at neutral venues is creeping in more and will continue to.

New stadium please and none of this farce if we can avoid it!

Said it time and time again, but new stadium is a must. Just build it in the same area but keep the current stadium there until the new one is finished. Start work on decreasing capacity of that one and modernise the facilities, create more space between seats etc. Most of the current OT would still change a fair bit, but it'd be the same plot, pitch etc. It will have significant cost to do such a thing, but I do think it would be good to keep the history for that.

We've seen a lot of debate about where we'd play, but other than sharing with City there isn't anywhere local enough (and feasible enough) to be able to fit our Season Ticket holders in. There would probably be weeks where it's agreed we play at Wembley or one of the other 60k+ London stadiums etc if planned far enough in advance, but something that worries me isn't the restriction of finding suitable stadiums in the North West or even the UK. It's the problem of how marketable the Premier League is and what we are seeing happen in other sports or now other football leagues.

Barcelona will play Atletico in Miami as one of their Home fixtures. Do you honestly think the Glazer's won't be getting a chub on at the prospect of this? If we had seasons where Old Trafford wasn't available, then you can guarantee the owners will try their best to get as many United Home PL games in America, Saudi, China etc. You just know it would happen, they could take United's PL season on tour, and probably would. Perfect timing for our owners as this fad of playing Home games at neutral venues is creeping in more and will continue to.

New stadium please and none of this farce if we can avoid it!

You know its not the Glazers choice where to play? The Premier League has to also approve it right?
I know you mention that Barca and Athletico play in Miami, there are many reasons to why this is. Barca are struggling financially and been pulling levers left right centre, they would do anything for another £1m sponsorship or revenue, Manutd are not at that level of desperation.

Secondly, the reason why La Liga will approve this is because after that game, there is a winter break in spain so, 22nd December until 9th Jan, so its not like there is another game 3 days later.

So there is no chance, United can have home games in China or America, it just isn't feasible when it takes 1/2 days to travel if you have 2 games a week.

I thought that one was "G'day mate" - never been to Kanga land though so couldn't say for sure
Yes, I was using the direct translation on the first part (instead of the 'G'day' slang) and the informal Australian noun emphasis on the second -I've never been 'down under' either, so probably we should call it a draw?;)

I think the land would be needed to accommodate the footprint of a 90k+ seater stadium.

And as I understand it United only lease the land they don't own it.
I see. That's a shame. I thought United actually owned that piece of land. Thanks for clarifying.

You know its not the Glazers choice where to play? The Premier League has to also approve it right?
I know you mention that Barca and Athletico play in Miami, there are many reasons to why this is. Barca are struggling financially and been pulling levers left right centre, they would do anything for another £1m sponsorship or revenue, Manutd are not at that level of desperation.

Secondly, the reason why La Liga will approve this is because after that game, there is a winter break in spain so, 22nd December until 9th Jan, so its not like there is another game 3 days later.

So there is no chance, United can have home games in China or America, it just isn't feasible when it takes 1/2 days to travel if you have 2 games a week.
Admittedly it would be harder in the Premier League than elsewhere, but we do also have a winter break period now. If they can do it, they will. I fear this La Liga game is only going to start this being a more regular occurrence. If not individual teams attempting it, then the Premier League themselves potentially designating a fixture for each team somewhere else.

I know the latter isn't directly effected by us not having a stadium to play in, but this would simply give our owners the excuse they need to make it happen. When it could be taken away completely if we can just still play at Old Trafford for the next 5-6 years whilst work takes place.

I see. That's a shame. I thought United actually owned that piece of land. Thanks for clarifying.

No worries. Most of us thought they owned it until it came out recently because of the new stadium chatter that they don't.

Free plastic poncho with every ticket.
Plus red snood and umbrella hat. Jobs a good 'un.

The sensible move during construction is to use the council's City of Manchester Stadium, currently hired out to the cheats, as they don't own their own PL standard ground. I see the capacity should be up to just over 60k in time for us to use it. That'd have the season ticket holders taken care off while reducing the number of those bloody 'tourists', those that apparently kill the OT atmosphere, a win win for many true reds. Also, this would be the third time we'd be using the same ground as them so the move would obviously go down well with long standing reds who see maintaining tradition as such a crucial part of what happens next.

The rent would go to the council, not Abu Dhabi, which would be most welcome in these austere times. Also Manchester's match day economy wouldn't suffer too much especially compared to using a ground outwith the city where most of it would be lost. Genuinely, all things considered, it's the only real option with, depending on the content of City's lease, probably just small mindedness being a major barrier.

We will play at old Trafford while the new stadium Is being built then they’ll knock old Trafford down as soon as we can play in the new one.

We will play at old Trafford while the new stadium Is being built then they’ll knock old Trafford down as soon as we can play in the new one.
Highly unlikely, not if they want a large stadium, there isn't the room