New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford | Aim is to build 100k seater stadium

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 1,015 56.9%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 768 43.1%

• Total voters
The club will be loaded with a terrifying amount of debt.

Anyone that thinks Jim or the Glazers are personally paying for it are living in cloud cuckoo land.

This is why im asking where the money for this so called 100k seater stadium is coming from, the club cant afford it and the Glazers or Sir Jim is going to put up the money for it.

This is why im asking where the money for this so called 100k seater stadium is coming from, the club cant afford it and the Glazers or Sir Jim is going to put up the money for it.
The money will be coming from a financial institution of some kind, same as every other major stadium or infrastucture project in the modern world, it's pretty naive to think that it's coming from anywhere else

Anyone that thinks Jim or the Glazers are personally paying for it are living in cloud cuckoo land.
Ratcliffe might fund it (or at least part of it) if new shares are issued to him, in the same way that the $300m extra he's invested into the club this year is taking him from 25% ownership up to 29%. That's the best-case scenario, as the club won't be taking on debt for the stadium and it also gets Ratcliffe closer to majority ownership. The Glazers would have to agree to that of course though, and I'm not sure that they would. The shares that they own would be watered down, but the overall value of the club would increase (because of the new stadium) so they would have to work out whether it works for them financially.

I heard although it’s only rumour The glazers want to employee themselves to sort out the finance, that way they charge the club a fee for the duration of the loan for arranging the finance

That's right, forgot about that. feck hope we don't have to play away from OT. Where could that even be?

Old Trafford Cricket ground.

But most likely with the new stadium being built beside it. With OT eventually being downsized or bulldozed.

I'd say work would start late next year and could then take around 3 years so your looking 2028?! Would we move into the stadium mid season?
You’re very optimistic with your late next year. They haven’t even decided what they’re doing yet .

Naming rights likely nets us £350m. An additional investment from Ineos might for more shares could cover another £200-300m.

A long term loan for the rest is likely covered by increased match day revenues.
Yes this is how most of us see it, taking out £1.55bn or $2bn would probably be over 20 years at a very low rate maybe 5-5.5% so increased match day revenues should facilitate this.

You also have to think that SJR is not getting younger, at what point does he just say F…this I want results now and go and buy 3 or 4 genuine world class players like ; Jan Oblak, R Araujo, N Barella and K Kvaratskhelia for £250m-£300m because, the club will invest in kids and develop them, he won’t see the fruits of that in his lifetime?

I heard although it’s only rumour The glazers want to employee themselves to sort out the finance, that way they charge the club a fee for the duration of the loan for arranging the finance

New rule proposal for the forum. "I heard a rumour" should be followed up with where this come from so we can judge if there is any credit to the post at all. I seem to see it so often yet no source provided that I'm convinced 99% (not suggesting this is btw) is made up bs by the poster.

Geoff down the pub? X? Facebook? Tiktok? My mates aunties neighbours boss? My cousins best friends mom has a friend who is a cleaner at the club?

The taxpayers footing the bill!

No white text? Because this has been covered so many times...

Naming rights likely nets us £350m. An additional investment from Ineos might for more shares could cover another £200-300m.

A long term loan for the rest is likely covered by increased match day revenues.
Can't see glazers diluting more shares to cover stadium expansion/rebuild

Cannot get it out of my head that this '100, 000 Capacity Super stadium' is either one of those "wouldn't it be great if we had one..." ideas, or that in reality its just a further extension of the Glazer's long term plan to 'grow the asset' before they sell.

During the bidding war for the shares that Sir Jim now holds, it must have become evident to the Glazer family, the state of the OT stadium, and its positioning sited between a railway line and a canal, was always going to make it an expensive project to complete and hence to meet their long term aim (and full value) of growing the asset.

The whole Glazer family empire is essentially one of Property Development, not Sports Development, so this scale of re-development of OT, or a new build elsewhere.... would be the cherry on their cake! With an organisation like INEOS and a character like Sir Jim Ratcliffe onboard, it all makes sense.

Oh, yes and we might be able to do something about the team as well!

Dont think there is many fans who think that either of them are paying for it.

It will obviously be loans and sponsorship deals that fund the stadium.

The whole Glazer family empire is essentially one of Property Development, not Sports Development, so this scale of re-development of OT, or a new build elsewhere.... would be the cherry on their cake! With an organisation like INEOS and a character like Sir Jim Ratcliffe onboard, it all makes sense.

Didn't know you and SJR were close, what does he think of sacking Ten Hag?

Didn't know you and SJR were close, what does he think of sacking Ten Hag?
A 'stay of execution' for now, until SJR has all his 'ducks lined up'...... or, we slip into the relegation zone... he knows this team would never make it out under ETH.

Any other questions?;)

Can't see glazers diluting more shares to cover stadium expansion/rebuild
Bear in mind that a new stadium with increased revenue will increase the value of the club. To some extent, that increase in value will compensate for decreasing the percentage of the total that they own.

Honestly, I'll be quite disappointed if Ratcliffe doesn't increase his total at least a small amount from this. Seems like a lost opportunity to me. Let's say another 4-5% from investing another $300m or so. Ideally a bit more, although obviously the Glazers will work out where the tipping point is where the increase in value doesn't compensate for the decrease in voting power.

I wonder if you could do some steep stands within the footprint of the cricket pitch. Probably not.

Yeah. The temp stand is quite steep I think it adds a few thousand but there's no room for other temp stands. Shame it would've been great to play at the cricket ground. Suppose United could build a temp stadium.

I was going to but thought people would’ve known. I do find it funny there’s Daily Mail readers still frothing at the mouth over the prospect of this imaginary thing happening.

That’s literally what Daily Mail readers DO!

Get worked up over non-existent threats.

I’d be surprised if we saw the new stadium ready this decade, judging by how long grounds tend to take in this country.

I don't think there's any chance at all it would be ready this decade. Even if they decided on a direction to go within the next 6 months, then they'll need to have architects come up with a design, put funding in place, go in for planning, perhaps have the freight yard moved, have the transport infrastructure sorted and build the stadium? I'd say we're looking at 10 years from now in reality.

Problem is its capacity is below 30k.

I was mostly joking mate. But it'll be the same problem everywhere local to OT. The only stadium in the area over 30k is the Emptyhad. I don't see us playing there.

I wonder if a temporary stadium could be an option but I've never seen a large one for football bar that stand the Russians buit for the 2018 WC.

Something like this maybe:

yluqe5vkqxsykl6ls0k9.jpeg.optimal.jpeg

Yes this is how most of us see it, taking out £1.55bn or $2bn would probably be over 20 years at a very low rate maybe 5-5.5% so increased match day revenues should facilitate this.

You also have to think that SJR is not getting younger, at what point does he just say F…this I want results now and go and buy 3 or 4 genuine world class players like ; Jan Oblak, R Araujo, N Barella and K Kvaratskhelia for £250m-£300m because, the club will invest in kids and develop them, he won’t see the fruits of that in his lifetime?
Wishful thinking, no more than that

If they dont have the cash can they not just offer it to the fans? 2 billion/100000 is what 20 grand ish. Good investment I think

I was going to but thought people would’ve known. I do find it funny there’s Daily Mail readers still frothing at the mouth over the prospect of this imaginary thing happening.
Well, you got me good - I’m pretty touchy about all the negativity around the club at the minute. Lesson learned :lol:

If they can't afford to service a loan then they won't get it, same way you wouldn't get a mortgage to buy a million quid house whilst earning 25K a year

We still havent paid back most of the money that Malcolm Glazer borrowed to buy the club 20 years ago so how are we going to pay back further loans of between £1.5 and £2bn?

Any plans for a new stadium should be put on the back burner at least until the current debt is dealt with overwise the debt could reach a level thats unsustainable.

I was mostly joking mate. But it'll be the same problem everywhere local to OT. The only stadium in the area over 30k is the Emptyhad. I don't see us playing there.

I wonder if a temporary stadium could be an option but I've never seen a large one for football bar that stand the Russians buit for the 2018 WC.

Something like this maybe:

yluqe5vkqxsykl6ls0k9.jpeg.optimal.jpeg
Looks perfect for a few Mancunian winters.

You’re very optimistic with your late next year. They haven’t even decided what they’re doing yet .
They said it would be announced before end of this year so hoping planning etc would take a year?! Best case scenario obviously.

We still havent paid back most of the money that Malcolm Glazer borrowed to buy the club 20 years ago so how are we going to pay back further loans of between £1.5 and £2bn?

Any plans for a new stadium should be put on the back burner at least until the current debt is dealt with overwise the debt could reach a level thats unsustainable.
There's a difference between being able to service a loan and paying it back, United could have (read Glazer's) paid it all back years ago if they had chosen to, unfortuately they chose not to, PSR makes it more difficult now but not impossible

INEOS could take out a loan but put it that part of the business and not the United part, that's probably going to be the way they finance it, indeed it makes more sense to do it because INEOS is worth a lot more than United so would get more favorable terms