New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford | Aim is to build 100k seater stadium

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 993 56.5%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 766 43.5%

• Total voters
The real reason it was changed was so that emergency services vehicles could get into the stadium. It was a reaction to the Hillsborough disaster. It made sense to move the players tunnel and facilities down to the same place, as the old tunnel is tiny in comparison.
Yeah that makes sense.

OK, here's today's thought.

What do people think about the new stadium having the ability to convert into an NFL pitch, like Spurs stadium?

If the plans are to turn the stadium into a hub of the North, to rival Wembley, for concerts and other attractions. Would it make sense to build in the ability to hold an NFL match, so some are available up north?

Again, just putting it out there.

I think one of the articles written last week suggests that although we'd challenge for NFL games, we wouldn't build it for NFL.

Spurs have positioned their stadium to host a full schedule if the NFL decides to have a full time team here.

I think one of the articles written last week suggests that although we'd challenge for NFL games, we wouldn't build it for NFL.

Spurs have positioned their stadium to host a full schedule if the NFL decides to have a full time team here.

I seen an article somewhere last week saying we’d be looking to take the major boxing events from Wembley and host them at the new OT.

How would that work?

Never mind the logistics, would they be playing at 12-1am or something?

How would that work?

Never mind the logistics, would they be playing at 12-1am or something?
Maybe @Hal9000 meant the NFL Europe? But that's been dead since 2007, today's successor is called the European League of Football (ELF). Certainly they wouldn't get the dumb idea to station a team for the actual NFL on the other side of the Atlantic?

Maybe @Hal9000 meant the NFL Europe? But that's been dead since 2007, today's successor is called the European League of Football (ELF). Certainly they wouldn't get the dumb idea to station a team for the actual NFL on the other side of the Atlantic?

Fair enough that would make much more sense.

Every stadium in world will look the same, drained of character for a style that will probably date.

Refurbish our historic stadium full of history and character is my massive preference

Think most of us would want to see Old Trafford to be refurbished with an expansion of the south stand.

Seems more complicated, time consuming and more expensive that building a new stadium as I’ve understood it.

As much as it would be a pain to leave Old Trafford. It’s probably the sensible decision.

I just don’t hope they will knock it down like site plan seem to imply. Where are we even going to play our games if that is the case?

Let's be honest here. Regeneration just means a load of bars, restaurants and apartments that no local people can actually afford.
Every stadium in world will look the same, drained of character for a style that will probably date.

Refurbish our historic stadium full of history and character is my massive preference
Yep. But we're just naive idiots living in the past and need to "move with the times"

I read that Sir Jim is the richest person in the UK. If thats the case, why dont he use his wealth to fund the £2B needed for a new stadium? Is it a matter of not having the money or are there legal restrictions stopping him from personally financing it? As a lifelong United fan this is a legacy opportunity that he could truly leave behind.

I read that Sir Jim is the richest person in the UK. If thats the case, why dont he use his wealth to fund the £2B needed for a new stadium? Is it a matter of not having the money or are there legal restrictions stopping him from personally financing it? As a lifelong United fan this is a legacy opportunity that he could truly leave behind.
Yea he can't take it with him can he

Let's be honest here. Regeneration just means a load of bars, restaurants and apartments that no local people can actually afford.

Yep. But we're just naive idiots living in the past and need to "move with the times"
Possibly. I'd hate a gentrification of the area but it's all about money innit. Wonder how it'd affect the houses near OT. Could go up in value. But yeah it's just an extension of the Quays. Anyway, that's Manchester thesedays - funky living if you've got the cash.

It needs to be a new stadium. OT cannot be revamped to the level needed due to the south stand

A new stadium on the same site is the dream for me

We should massacre a load of people on the site of the new ground, that way their spirits will haunt the ground and it won't be soulless.

So the American fans of the other team would just have to watch the game at 8-12am their time? :confused:
7pm UK is 2pm on the East coast and 11 am on the West - perfectly normal times for US sports events, they aren't fixated on specific times like the UK tends to be

Possibly. I'd hate a gentrification of the area but it's all about money innit. Wonder how it'd affect the houses near OT. Could go up in value. But yeah it's just an extension of the Quays. Anyway, that's Manchester thesedays - funky living if you've got the cash.
Oh yeah.

It's the whole premise of modern day Manchester that "we do things differently here" but ultimately we do things like everyone else.

7pm UK is 2pm on the East coast and 11 am on the West - perfectly normal times for US sports events,

The next two NFL games in London next month are both at 14:30pm in the afternoon. Do they normally kick off at 7pm?

they aren't fixated on specific times like the UK tends to be

How so?

I've stayed up to watch a lot of boxing/mma in Europe that was timed for an American audience.

The next two NFL games in London next month are both at 14:30pm in the afternoon. Do they normally kick off at 7pm?

How so?

I've stayed up to watch a lot of boxing/mma in Europe that was timed for an American audience.
Just look at the schedules, baseball has games scheduled every afternoon, college football has regular 11am games, you can basically watch live sport on TV all day because they spread them out and because of the 3 hour time difference coast to coast

Evertons new stadium is looking really nice, I know its a lot smaller that what we are looking to build but it still shows that you can build a modern stadium that doesnt look soulless

Evertons new stadium is looking really nice, I know its a lot smaller that what we are looking to build but it still shows that you can build a modern stadium that doesnt look soulless

in what way does it look like is isn't soulless?