New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford | Aim is to build 100k seater stadium

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 993 56.5%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 766 43.5%

• Total voters
https://www.espn.com/soccer/story/_...d-old-trafford-regen-plans-club-shares-images

i
If the stadium gets wrapped like that then I'm going to literally shit rimaldo's pants

Just wanted to throw it out there, but what do people think of Sofi Stadium in the NFL?

Personally, I love it, but that's because I like different designs and think if United had a stadium like this it would standout in the Premiership, if not Europe.

I know it's probably not everyone's cup of tea, but just wondered what people thought of the design.

Be gentle with the insults :-)
SoFi Stadium a bit much and rather eccentric-looking, in all honestly. An exercise in opulance that doesn't really suit the history or aesthetic of the club. More of a corporatized “entertainment venue” as well, which diminishes its charm as the home of a football team.

Would be more than happy with an expanded (to 90,000-100,000) and restylized version of, let's say, San Mamés. That right there is unmistakably a footballing cathedral.

xizCSF3.jpeg

Then again, we will probably need to aim higher if the powers that be's objective is to have a state-of-the-art, completely feature-packed and somewhat multi-purpose venue (one that would rival Wembley Stadium, Santiago Bernabéu and likes, fully extract the economic benefits of Manchester United's appeal, and stay relevant for decades to come.)

I wouldnt want us to ground share at the Etihad unless it was a deal stuck exclusively between us an Manchester City council with no money going to City.
Why would City get money, they pay for the privelige of laying there, it's not like there's not precedent of playing at their ground

But not the same day necessarily so why does that matter?
So on which weeks would Everton play at home?

The idea that the city of Liverpool would somehow be able to host three of the biggest rivals in English football, with two of those by necessity playing in the same weekend if not the same day is clearly unfeasible nonsense.

So on which weeks would Everton play at home?

The idea that the city of Liverpool would somehow be able to host three of the biggest rivals in English football, with two of those by necessity playing in the same weekend if not the same day is clearly unfeasible nonsense.
Everton will be at their new stadium which is far enough away right (and possibly in the Championship)?

Does anyone actually care if it’s 100k? I wouldn’t care if it’s just the same size or 90k or 100k etc. seems such a pointless thing to focus on.

Exactly, there is no atmosphere because we are not very good and there is almost a sense of apathy in the crowd. Get the team firing on all cylinders and the atmosphere will naturally lift. If they have any sense encourage the ordinary fans to go, not rely on tourists and corporates,
The atmosphere has arguably been better for a lot of the lesser home games post Fergie than it was pre 2013. Fergie and Keane used to regularly slate the atmosphere at OT.

Even in the bigger games, the crowd post Treble could be a bit flat. People often expected us to win 5/6-0 every week.

By all accounts the atmospheres v city in 2020 and 2023, Liverpool in the cup last season and Barca in the Europa League in 2023 were as good as any of the big occasions in the "good old days".

What have a new stadium and success on the pitch in common? That makes no sense.
OT is miserable if we play shit
By point was, a new ground often doesn't equal success and many club struggle for years after a new build.

Does anyone actually care if it’s 100k? I wouldn’t care if it’s just the same size or 90k or 100k etc. seems such a pointless thing to focus on.
Not really, but instead of settling for 90k we might as well go the distance and build a 100k stadium, that would put us in a different league to almost all clubs. It would be another metric to show the size of the club.

The atmosphere has arguably been better for a lot of the lesser home games post Fergie than it was pre 2013. Fergie and Keane used to regularly slate the atmosphere at OT.

Even in the bigger games, the crowd post Treble could be a bit flat. People often expected us to win 5/6-0 every week.

By all accounts the atmospheres v city in 2020 and 2023, Liverpool in the cup last season and Barca in the Europa League in 2023 were as good as any of the big occasions in the "good old days".

By point was, a new ground often doesn't equal success and many club struggle for years after a new build.
They have to make sure the team is successful first, that is the priority, as you say a bigger stadium does not mean guaranteed trophies.

Everton will be at their new stadium which is far enough away right (and possibly in the Championship)?
No, it's certainly further away from Anfield than Goodison is, but Liverpool is not a very big city. There's absolutely no way they would ever allow a third PL team - who are fierce rivals with the the others - to play in the city. It'd be total chaos between August and May.

If the Big Triangle, as I am now calling it, not without pomposity, takes place then there will actually more more land for car parks than there is now, not less. I wouldn't expect much of it to be used for car parking though, I think all the transport would be improved, trains and buses with park and rides.
Exactly this, trams too. The current car parks are a major part of the regeneration scheme to enable more housing and business premises. Hence the 90,000 new jobs - which seems a bit of a stretch to me. A lot of grounds don’t provide much car parking now as it’s a loss maker. Either walk from wherever you are, or get public transport.

If the club believes it can sell those extra 10,000 tickets on a regular basis and accommodate the fans safely and make the experience awesome, in the proper sense of the word, of course the club should build the stadium with the additional capacity.

And then there are bragging right about being one of the, if not the, biggest stadia on the planet and the biggest in Europe. According to wiki, the Camp Nou comes in at 99,354. Unless it's a problem to do so and if the demand is there (which it will be), let's build it to 100,000.

I think it needs to be bigger, as we can certainly sell more tickets to help repay the development cost. If that’s 95,000 or 100,000 or 120,000 I don’t really care. As for the mock-ups, I have my doubts it resembles reality. If we can get the remaining land we need for the project then I can see us building a new ground without closing the current OT until it’s completed. Ground sharing is just not going to work for us - nobody can accommodate our demand.

I think it needs to be bigger, as we can certainly sell more tickets to help repay the development cost. If that’s 95,000 or 100,000 or 120,000 I don’t really care. As for the mock-ups, I have my doubts it resembles reality. If we can get the remaining land we need for the project then I can see us building a new ground without closing the current OT until it’s completed. Ground sharing is just not going to work for us - nobody can accommodate our demand.
300k minimum then for me. A stadium so big, you’re still trying to get out when the next fixture kicks off.

Watching the video at 1:05 you can see that a giant will swap in the new stadium.
Solves the problem of where we will play.

That's just a sample picture, a new stadium wouldn't look like that, right? Right?
Lads?
The only thing we can know for certain is that, on this forum, 50% will think it looks like the greatest stadium ever made and 50% will say it is literally a big stack of dog shite.

The land where OT is is so awkward. Wish we could just magically make the rails and canal disappear.

The land where OT is is so awkward. Wish we could just magically make the rails and canal disappear.

Well the rails will be useful as we'd get rid of the freight and build a whole new passenger station, which would get most people into the stadium.

100k capacity does add something special to the ground. Especially if they can get the layout right, it would add a long way into giving a new stadium its "soul".

Makes the people who love saying "we're the biggest club in the world" every other sentence extremely, overwhelmingly happy.

I'd be perfectly content with a top of the line +85k seater. But I suppose they feel they can capitalize those extra 10, 15k seats very well.

I think people like 100,000 cause it's bigger than Wembley and also that extra figure puts us miles ahead of other PL clubs.

Nou Camp will be 105,000 so we'll be 2nd in Europe but could have the highest average attendance.

I think people like 100,000 cause it's bigger than Wembley and also that extra figure puts us miles ahead of other PL clubs.

Nou Camp will be 105,000 so we'll be 2nd in Europe but could have the highest average attendance.

Feck that. It we’re going to 100, might as well stretch to 106 just to see what part of their future Barca mortgage off to try and get back on top.

That's just a sample picture, a new stadium wouldn't look like that, right? Right?
Lads?
It's not even a sample, its all just a mock up to show off what could be achieved with the surrounding area. I'm astonished by the amount of people who have never seen these mock up area models before for other projects. Google images is full of them "redevelopment plan model".

I get what you mean, but the Busby teams came out of the centre of the main stand not the current tunnel. Agree about the fans need to be near the pitch. Think that is why a lot like Spurs stadium. Like their one tier stand, as long as has been mentioned they do not plonk corporates right in the middle of it. Put the really noisy fans in there, safe standing and lots of singing and flags. Put away fans right up in the gods somewhere out of sight.
Even in the Fergie era we were coming out at the halfway line it probably changed to the corner about 30 years ago, but can’t remember the exact year

But it doesn’t really matter? I don’t understand why someone would care if a stadium held 75k or 100k, the bigger it is the harder it will be to create a good atmosphere.

Don’t forget we played at Maine Road when Uwe Roslers grandad bombed Old Trafford
Being a bit of a historian myself, I'm surprised by the fact that it was him who caused the leak in the roof. Uwe Rösler, who probably now is a carpenter, should be forced to repair it.