New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford | Aim is to build 100k seater stadium

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 993 56.5%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 766 43.5%

• Total voters
But it doesn’t really matter? I don’t understand why someone would care if a stadium held 75k or 100k, the bigger it is the harder it will be to create a good atmosphere.

It's all about PR and dick swinging so it does matter.

Can't imagine Ratcliffe promising a Wembley of the north and then not making it bigger than the current ground by a sizeable margin.

Think you’re right. United do need a unique looking stadium. Though the SoFi look might be too “American” for the English public I suspect.

That being said it is possible to build something iconic keeping in mind British sensibilities of architecture. They did rebuild Wembley - removed the twin towers and put in place the Arch. Over time, people have come to love it. I myself lived right next to Wembley Stadium for a couple of years. It’s beautiful.

Good thing Foster + Partners have been put in charge along with Populous. Norman Foster designed Wembley and he’s from Manchester. So I do believe they’ll find the right balance of creating a stadium for the next 100 years and not alienating the public which has what is an increasingly loud bunch of grumpies on social media.
Yes, it's probably a bit too much for United, despite the fact I like it, I can understand why others wouldn't though.

I'm sure Foster + Partners will come up with something unique, they've done a pretty good job on everything they've worked on.

Amazing, open and airy design, but maybe just a tad soulless and probably prohibitively expensive. I'd like something that says Manchester a bit more if that makes any sense
I get that, I guess for me, it's more about getting away from that generic bowl look. It's not that I don't like the design, it's more that so many stadiums look that way now.
I just want something a bit different.

OK, here's today's thought.

What do people think about the new stadium having the ability to convert into an NFL pitch, like Spurs stadium?

If the plans are to turn the stadium into a hub of the North, to rival Wembley, for concerts and other attractions. Would it make sense to build in the ability to hold an NFL match, so some are available up north?

Again, just putting it out there.

OK, here's today's thought.

What do people think about the new stadium having the ability to convert into an NFL pitch, like Spurs stadium?

If the plans are to turn the stadium into a hub of the North, to rival Wembley, for concerts and other attractions. Would it make sense to build in the ability to hold an NFL match, so some are available up north?

Again, just putting it out there.

Stick to Celtic.

But it doesn’t really matter? I don’t understand why someone would care if a stadium held 75k or 100k, the bigger it is the harder it will be to create a good atmosphere.
Yeah I'm not in favour of a bigger capacity just to brag about having it. Yes if it's done right, a 100k stadium could be a proper intimidating place for visiting teams. I think it's less likely though, ticket prices will increase and the atmosphere will be worse than the baseline

Just imagine if it is 100k seats the atmosphere that it could generate. Obviously would probably take a fair amount of co-ordination with dedicated singing sections every block or something to ensure one sections chants dont get lost but it could be a massive bonus as well.

(Of course theres a negative flip side to that as well).

Even in the Fergie era we were coming out at the halfway line it probably changed to the corner about 30 years ago, but can’t remember the exact year
Yeah they came out of the centre early in Fergie's era. Anybody know why they changed it? Was it just rejigging the inside of the stadium, so easier for get from dressing rooms from where the tunnel is now?

Even in the Fergie era we were coming out at the halfway line it probably changed to the corner about 30 years ago, but can’t remember the exact year
Indeed, that also is around the time when the 'iconic" elevated dugouts came in to being along with the giant slopes on the pitch edges

Yeah they came out of the centre early in Fergie's era. Anybody know why they changed it? Was it just rejigging the inside of the stadium, so easier for get from dressing rooms from where the tunnel is now?
New changing rooms and facilities with the new tunnel came with the Stretford End rebuild in 92-94

Probably when they started refurbishing was that about 94?

I guess we're the self styled "biggest club in the world" so will be able to point at our stadium and average attendance.

Yeah I'm not in favour of a bigger capacity just to brag about having it. Yes if it's done right, a 100k stadium could be a proper intimidating place for visiting teams. I think it's less likely though, ticket prices will increase and the atmosphere will be worse than the baseline
Yeah my worry is we get this sleek massive new stadium and it’s just a bit dead. Sir Jim will want to try and get income from other revenue streams like concerts and NFL etc. I get that is maybe just how modern football is but I hope it is first and foremost a football stadium designed with acoustics in mind, fans tight to the pitch, steeper stands where possible and now the standard bowl.

Yeah my worry is we get this sleek massive new stadium and it’s just a bit dead. Sir Jim will want to try and get income from other revenue streams like concerts and NFL etc. I get that is maybe just how modern football is but I hope it is first and foremost a football stadium designed with acoustics in mind, fans tight to the pitch, steeper stands where possible and now the standard bowl.
Fingers crossed we get the best of whatever it is! When they open up suggestions from supporters/members, hopefully we do our bit.

Even our mockups look boring. At least Saudi Arabia are going with the "eleven year old who doesn't know what the feck he's doing on Adobe Cloud" design for theirs.

neom-world-cup-stadium-the-line_dezeen_2364_col_4.jpg

The giant slopes on the pitch edges were there when I made my first visit to Old Trafford in 1963!
They weren't that giant in the 70's, the pitch was raised, in the 80's I think, to accomodate the undersoil heating system better

I remember there being a story that it was a way to add in extra seating. There was also supposedly an issue with the advertising boards for Champions League dimensions being larger so some of the seats were unusable. You can actually see evidence of unused seating in champions league games in the 90s.

They weren't that giant in the 70's, the pitch was raised, in the 80's I think, to accomodate the undersoil heating system better
Trust me, the pitch was raised in 1963. Maybe it was raised more when the under soil heating system was installed in the 1980's, but it was definitely there in 1963!

Think it is worth to share this. Take a look at the Kai Tak Sport Park which is being built in Hong Kong. (Sorry I am not allowed to post media link yet in my reply)

https: //www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8hlPGmACF8&ab_channel=Constructify

They are transforming the old airport land to a new sport park which includes a 50000 seats stadium as the center piece of the project. The stadium also surrounds by retail outlets, parks, hotels, waterfront dining area, public and private housing, indoor sport centre, public sport ground and etc.

It could be something we can dream of to the future of the trafford area. Thanks all.

It seems as if Foster + Partners have been assigned as designers and planners for the Old Trafford area and stadium regen. Plans were shared at the Labour conference in Liverpool.

Links below

Announcement article:
https://www.fosterandpartners.com/n...-old-trafford-stadium-district-masterplanning

Stadium and area concept
https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk...-teases-with-new-old-trafford-stadium-designs

- brand new stadium preferred
- £100k bowl like shape
- £2bn build cost (£1-1.2bn estimate for refurb)
- design work for the surrounding area underway first, with stadium coming later once plans confirmed with United

Last edited:
I would assume that 'bowl design' is just a placeholder for the visual presentation. I would be very disappointed if thats actually the design for a new Old Trafford. Its about as generic a design as you could get.

Most 5yr olds would draw a stadium like that in school.

I would assume that 'bowl design' is just a placeholder for the visual presentation. I would be very disappointed if thats actually the design for a new Old Trafford. Its about as generic a design as you could get.

Most 5yr olds would draw a stadium like that in school.
Exactly. Won’t stop people with the mentality of 5 year olds crying about soulless bowls though.

Will be heavily dissappointed if stands are not close to the pitch.

Don’t want to see miles between the first row and the pitch like The Emirates and Etihad. Others have likely previous mentioned it, but the design for Spurs' stadium is pretty perfect to me.

Would also be great with a similar single(or two) tier new Stretford end.

Will be heavily dissappointed if stands are not close to the pitch.

Don’t want to see miles between the first row and the pitch like The Emirates and Etihad. Others have likely previous mentioned it, but the design for Spurs' stadium is pretty perfect to me.

Would also be great with a similar single(or two) tier new Stretford end.

Agree. Out of interest, is there a reason for the stands being far away at The Emirates? At the Etihad and West ham it's obviously because they were designed for athletics but i'm not sure why at Arsenal?

I'm pretty sure Ineos will do a good job job though and create something pretty amazing. As for the "bowl" shaped stadium, you basically only have 2 options for a stadium, a rectangle or a bowl. so bowl is the sensible modern option.

Speaking of Spurs

Does anyone think we'll try to host NFL games if a new stadium is built?

I imagine the Glazers would be very moist for this

Every stadium in world will look the same, drained of character for a style that will probably date.

Refurbish our historic stadium full of history and character is my massive preference

Been following stadium design/construction for years and there really has been a huge shift towards these priorities over the past decade or so (at least, in Europe. NFL stadiums are so different in terms of what the owner wants), so I wouldn't worry too much, especially if we're spending big on it which we will be.

Every stadium in world will look the same, drained of character for a style that will probably date.

Refurbish our historic stadium full of history and character is my massive preference
But Old Trafford is massively dated? Of course buildings will date. They all end up looking from a bygone era eventually.

But Old Trafford is massively dated? Of course buildings will date. They all end up looking from a bygone era eventually.

It isn't though. It's infrastructure is in need of improving but old buildings like old Trafford have architectural hallmarks and a more timeless style than this futuristic fad of creative black hole. Its like saying a beautiful old Georgian home has 'dated'. Or a 15th century castle. These building date by age but not by style and character. Old Trafford needs some polishing, we don't need another toilet bowl, the same way every major western city is starting to look the same

It isn't though. It's infrastructure is in need of improving but old buildings like old Trafford have architectural hallmarks and a more timeless style than this futuristic fad of creative black hole. Its like saying a beautiful old Georgian home has 'dated'. Or a 15th century castle. These building date by age but not by style and character. Old Trafford needs some polishing, we don't need another toilet bowl, the same way every major western city is starting to look the same

Amen.

The real reason it was changed was so that emergency services vehicles could get into the stadium. It was a reaction to the Hillsborough disaster. It made sense to move the players tunnel and facilities down to the same place, as the old tunnel is tiny in comparison.

Trust me, the pitch was raised in 1963. Maybe it was raised more when the under soil heating system was installed in the 1980's, but it was definitely there in 1963!
The pitch was also higher in the middle to help with drainage so if you stood near the front in one of the paddocks or United Road you couldn't see the far touchline