New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford | Aim is to build 100k seater stadium

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 993 56.5%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 766 43.5%

• Total voters
Is there definitely a demand for a 100k seater stadium (in terms of attendance)? They'll certainly hike ticket prices so I'd rather they build an excellent 85k seater stadium, with potential for further capacity upgrades.

I think they could sell that in season tickets if they wanted to.

Ideally they'd have a standing section in the Stretford end with reduced prices to entice young people and lower income people.

I think they could sell that in season tickets if they wanted to.

Ideally they'd have a standing section in the Stretford end with reduced prices to entice young people and lower income people.
Yeah if they've done proper homework and are confident they can fill it without huge ticket price increases, no harm. Might be a difficult balance to achieve.

Just wanted to throw it out there, but what do people think of Sofi Stadium in the NFL?

Personally, I love it, but that's because I like different designs and think if United had a stadium like this it would standout in the Premiership, if not Europe.

I know it's probably not everyone's cup of tea, but just wondered what people thought of the design.

Be gentle with the insults :-)

If it comes down to it, what are the options for a groundshare?

The Etihad - big capacity but would probably be unpopular with all sides but in many ways the most practical.

Bolton Wanderers Stadium - 28k capacity, not too far from Manchester. No idea how easy it is to get there by public transport. Fairly modern so should comply with uefa regulations.

Wigan Athletic stadium - 25k capacity, slightly further from Manchester, should be OK for uefa competitions but like BW stadium it's not a great capacity for the amount of fans United have.

Leighs Sports Village - already used by our women's team but seems to have many occupants and only a 12k capacity.

Gigg Lane - getting down to not great options while remaining around Manchester

Boundary Park - probably scrapping the barrel again now but could be an option if all fails.

Edgely Park - same as above

The silly options

Sheffield grounds - the next few are long shots but if there weren't other options you'd have to consider them.

Cold West Tuesdays Nights in Stoke?

New Everton Stadium - just on the border of doable and I won't even suggest Anfield but if we were to run out of options this might do in a pinch.

Wembley - this would be massively unpopular and could even be prohibited but would bring in massive revenue and have United at a top tier ground.

I probably forgot a stadium somewhere
Goodison

Just wanted to throw it out there, but what do people think of Sofi Stadium in the NFL?

Personally, I love it, but that's because I like different designs and think if United had a stadium like this it would standout in the Premiership, if not Europe.

I know it's probably not everyone's cup of tea, but just wondered what people thought of the design.

Think you’re right. United do need a unique looking stadium. Though the SoFi look might be too “American” for the English public I suspect.

That being said it is possible to build something iconic keeping in mind British sensibilities of architecture. They did rebuild Wembley - removed the twin towers and put in place the Arch. Over time, people have come to love it. I myself lived right next to Wembley Stadium for a couple of years. It’s beautiful.

Good thing Foster + Partners have been put in charge along with Populous. Norman Foster designed Wembley and he’s from Manchester. So I do believe they’ll find the right balance of creating a stadium for the next 100 years and not alienating the public which has what is an increasingly loud bunch of grumpies on social media.

No thanks, aside from the fact that it cost $5.5 billion and seats less than th e current OT, a bigger version would cost a lot more and TBH I thunk it looks horrible!

Stadium revenue isn't that much these days compared to TV-deals and all other stuff is it? I mean, yes it would change a bit, but the difference in FFP-spending from 85k to 100k from matchday revenue, would it really move more than 1% of our ability to spend? Hopefully a decent blogger like swissramble or so, could outlay what it really means in terms of spending.

I’ll do some basic maths.

We turned over £170m in 2023 from Matchday Revenue supposedly.

If we played let’s say 30 matches that’s 5.6m per game in revenue. If we increase capacity from 75k to 100k and we ratio out the spend per head as the same, that would jump to 7.5m per game. If with the new infrastructure we can encourage fans to come earlier and stay later at games increase matchday spend by a conservative 10% per fan, we’re looking at 8.2m per game. That’s an extra 2.6m a game which over 30 games is 78m.

If we were then to say of that 78m we keep 20m for extra transfers per year (probably not how we’d distribute the new revenue but what the heck), leaving 58m per year to pay off the stadium. It would take 34.5 years to pay off 2bn.

This is a highly simplistic view and does exclude a few things which would move the needle either but less directly impacted by it being 100k instead of say 85k capacity:

- Interest on the financed loan / mortgage
- Not all the 2bn being financed / needing repayment (eg. £300m being funded by Jim)
- Extra revenue from other new avenues (eg. Concerts, NFL, boxing, etc) increasing the number of matchdays / events
- Stadium naming rights (Barca’s Spotify deal is estimated to be €70m a year for 4 years)

All in all, I think overtime the stadium will pay for itself. We could easily manage 100k capacity week in week out and the status we’d have for it would be worth it alone. If INEOS wanted too they could sponsor the stadium and shirts for the next 10 years for probably 1bn anyway, so it’s a no-brainer.

Is there definitely a demand for a 100k seater stadium (in terms of attendance)? They'll certainly hike ticket prices so I'd rather they build an excellent 85k seater stadium, with potential for further capacity upgrades.
90k with leg room and shoulder room, humans are getting bigger(fatter) and I’d rather have a comfy seat without some fat Cnut half sat on my lap.

For weekend league games and Champions League matches yes.

For shit league games when we are 8th in February, and Carling Cup games like last midweek v Barnsley - not really. We struggle to get 60k.

For weekend league games and Champions League matches yes.

For shit league games when we are 8th in February, and Carling Cup games like last midweek v Barnsley - not really. We struggle to get 60k.

Which is remarkable considering we're not a top quality side anymore(ahhh they're all gloryhunters). Would be nice of we could let local kids in for peanuts. Won't happen but clubs shouldn't forget about the next generations of fans and local communities. Supply and demand, I guess - City do make me chuckle.

So when we become successful again, will United be able to pull in crowds of over 130k? Proper turn of the last century stuff. I'm thinking Celtic or Rangers at Hampden. Or Wembley cup finals.

That's how I've read it. That it being a 'generic bowl' does not necessarily require it to be soulless.

Also, reading this thread, it's clear that Old Trafford is different things to different people. Some can't imagine the players coming out of the tunnel into the centre of the pitch, even though that's exactly what they did when I was a kid and for 70 years before that.

For a lot of people older than me, the grounds lost that 'soul' when they became all seater and alcohol was banned in the stands. A lot of people's feelings are based on the nostalgia felt for the time they first went to the ground or watched on TV and nothing more than that in many cases.

Absolutely mate, to some it's just a building that can be easily replaced. Others are more attached to it for various reasons.

I don't think I've ever even said I think modern stadiums are 'soulless bowls', I'm not sure anyway. And I think I've just about made peace with the fact I think Old Trafford is not is not long for this world and will be demolished soon. I just didn't agree with the early 90's OT being lumped in with purpose built stadiums like Sunderland and Middlesbrough's.

Last edited:

Or just go all out and build a stadium version of this: https://www.thesphere.com/

Inside it's very impressive I like the tiered design of the stands. Outside while very intersting it doesn't really look like a stadium and I'd hope United don't go down the covered route.

So when we become successful again, will United be able to pull in crowds of over 130k? Proper turn of the last century stuff. I'm thinking Celtic or Rangers at Hampden. Or Wembley cup finals.

They'd have to have a serious think about the local infrastructure to be able to handle that volume of people on a matchday. In all these plans being posted recently form the conference there doesn't seem to be much car parking spaces involved. In fact a lot of the current parking seems to be removed.

Ineos Old Trafford and everyone moves on.
It is a myth that new stadiums are soulless, as others have said they can be amazing too if done right

Move on we must. Like everyone else here, I love the feeling when you step inside Old Trafford but it is outdated and we must move on.

I just dislike how disjointed and messy the tiering is. I think the tiers are way too short, it's like 4 or 5 tiers all broken up with suites and whatnot.

maxresdefault.jpg

Amazing, open and airy design, but maybe just a tad soulless and probably prohibitively expensive. I'd like something that says Manchester a bit more if that makes any sense

I wouldn't take the details in the article too literally - in particular I reckon if we do get the freight depot then the exact stadium location becomes a matter of debate. But I do reckon it gives people an idea of why the whole "ask for backing to relocate the freight terminal" debate isn't as wild an idea as it sounds.

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/tritax-in-play-to-move-old-trafford-rail-terminal-to-st-helens/
That's convinced me now. I think we'll buy the warehouses too and have the whole triangle, from the railway, over the canal to wharfside way and the european way, with the canal either tunneled and possibly moved to the northern perimeter. I'm very optimistic.

There’s without a doubt demand for it. We’re Manchester fecking United.

I wouldn't take the details in the article too literally - in particular I reckon if we do get the freight depot then the exact stadium location becomes a matter of debate. But I do reckon it gives people an idea of why the whole "ask for backing to relocate the freight terminal" debate isn't as wild an idea as it sounds.

https://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/tritax-in-play-to-move-old-trafford-rail-terminal-to-st-helens/
And here's Freightliner (who own the freight depot land we're after) saying they want it to happen.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.c.../major-old-trafford-landowner-issues-29997455

What absolute nonsense. You can make a rational argument for replacing the stadium, but if not for sentimentality, you'd be supporting City this week, then whoever wins next week/month/year. Why do people support clubs like Hartlepool or Southend if not sentimentality? Without it, you'd just follow the who ever was the latest and greatest.

We've all got our reasons for following our club, whether it comes from local/family ties or just falling in love with the kit as a kid - but its sentimentality that keeps you bound to that team, not rational logic.

Ultimately, sentimentality is what the game is all about, and a clubs history is intrinsic to it.
Wonderful post. Well said.

That's convinced me now. I think we'll buy the warehouses too and have the whole triangle, from the railway, over the canal to wharfside way and the european way, with the canal either tunneled and possibly moved to the northern perimeter. I'm very optimistic.

Yes. The first time I heard about the plan to "just get rid of the freight yard and there's plenty of room" it sounded like a no chance. The more you read about it, the more plausible it gets. Maybe we'll know more after the budget.

Looks awesome to me

What absolute nonsense. You can make a rational argument for replacing the stadium, but if not for sentimentality, you'd be supporting City this week, then whoever wins next week/month/year. Why do people support clubs like Hartlepool or Southend if not sentimentality? Without it, you'd just follow the who ever was the latest and greatest.

We've all got our reasons for following our club, whether it comes from local/family ties or just falling in love with the kit as a kid - but its sentimentality that keeps you bound to that team, not rational logic.

Ultimately, sentimentality is what the game is all about, and a clubs history is intrinsic to it.
I agree with you about sentimentality but I'm not as sentimental about the stadium itself as I expected to be. I guess partly because it looks nothing like it did when I first started going (over 50 years ago). It's a bit like the hammer problem - if you replace the head and then the next year you replace the handle is it still the same hammer?

As I said a couple of pages back the sentimental bit of me doesn't want the pitch area turned into an office block or converted to a carpark. If they can make it a space that fans can wander across (with the old pitch shape/markings preserved in some way) I personally would love that.

It would of course be nice if it could become a mini stadium for the women and the U21s (and maybe Salford RL as well) but I reckon it would be more of a demolition (of North stand and the two ends) than a revision.

They'd have to have a serious think about the local infrastructure to be able to handle that volume of people on a matchday. In all these plans being posted recently form the conference there doesn't seem to be much car parking spaces involved. In fact a lot of the current parking seems to be removed.
If the grand ambition scheme of moving the freight depot happens then a lot of things will change. I would expect almost all of the open parking to go - though we might see a multistorey built to give us some back. I don't know how many parking spaces United actually have on site but I reckon there are already a lot more people walking from carparks twenty/thirty minutes away than there are parking at the ground.

If the freight depot goes, the plan says we'll build a train station and there will be enough rail capacity to bring passenger trains back to the area. Wembley doesn't have much parking but it does have reasonable public transport links. Hopefully they'll stuff a couple of giant park and rides for it somewhere and it'll be less painful rather than more.

Rose tinted glasses enabled.

If the Big Triangle, as I am now calling it, not without pomposity, takes place then there will actually be more land for car parks than there is now, not less. I wouldn't expect much of it to be used for car parking though, I think all the transport would be improved, trains and buses with park and rides.

Last edited: