New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford | Aim is to build 100k seater stadium

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 946 55.8%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 748 44.2%

• Total voters
I don't think anyone wants it knocked down?

We want a new world leading elite stadium built beside it. That will stand the test of time for the next 100 years.

And Old Trafford then used for training / youth games / ladies team / history tours / concerts. Whatever.

I doubt we have the space for Old Trafford and a new 100k stadium beside it. OT in full or in part will probably have to be bulldozed.

Any stadium built today won't last 100 years wihtout major renovations or a complete rebuild in 30-40 years time.

The economics of maintaining a derelict 75 000 seater stadium for training/youth/ladies etc. is quite ludicrous, though. That means we would have to maintain two giant stadiums at the same time.

It could be downsized. And I also said history tours and concerts.

We want a new world leading elite stadium built beside it. That will stand the test of time for the next 100 years.

And Old Trafford then used for training / youth games / ladies team / history tours / concerts. Whatever.
Can’t imagine they intend to have 2 stadiums side by side. No offence intended to the women’s team, but they aren’t going to fill a 75000 seater stadium every week. The cost of maintaining Old Trafford alongside a 2bn plus new build is not sustainable. It’ll be demolished and parts put in a museum, with high end apartments and office space replacing it I’m afraid.

When Old Trafford is gone, it's gone - forever.

New toys get rusty, fast.

I don't go to Old Trafford but I still find it strange so many want decades and decades of incredible history to be bulldozed.

I've had seasoned tickets to the NBA (I know it's quite different to large stadiums) but I never gave much thought to leg room, crowded washrooms, large lines etc. I was there for the game and the people and the atmosphere.
In that case, it was probably because it was sufficient. At OT, it's really not. It's like being in a Victorian theatre seat - built for people from a different time, whose growth was stunted by the smoke and smog of the city and a diet consisting of a bowl of steam on top of a heafty bout of consumption and 30 woodbines a day.

1: It's the Women's team. The ladies team was wound down 20 years ago.

2: They absolutely will have to demolish the current stadium to build a new one. There isn't the room for two stadia on that plot, and keeping it to still spend millions on maintenance would be unthinkable for an unsentimental penny-pincher like Ratcliffe anyway.

3: There are reasons the current stadia isn't used for concerts currently, so why would that change just because the men's team have moved out? And how would it make sense to do that there rather than put the concerts on in a shiny new facility that you've just spent £2-3bn on?

Of course the existing Old Trafford will be flattened if or when the new stadium is built. It is valuable property and there will be a regeneration of the whole site, leaving a massive stadium there not doing much would make no sense.

When Old Trafford is gone, it's gone - forever.

New toys get rusty, fast.

I don't go to Old Trafford but I still find it strange so many want decades and decades of incredible history to be bulldozed.

I've had seasoned tickets to the NBA (I know it's quite different to large stadiums) but I never gave much thought to leg room, crowded washrooms, large lines etc. I was there for the game and the people and the atmosphere.

The history would not be bulldozed though, it's our history and will always be apart of our great club, building a new stadium will not change that.

We have to move with the times, or history is all we will have left.

Think about the future, and where we want our club to be in 50 years.

Renovation is not a solution, it's a short term fix, and we're just pushing the problem down the line for the next generation.

End of the day, Old Trafford is old, it's cramped, the services are not great.

I'd rather move forward and create new history, than to dwell on the past.
History is history it will always be there, with or without Old Trafford.

With all the negativity around other areas of the club, this is the one thing giving me hope for the future.

The only thing I'm unsure about is, if we did go for a 100k stadium - how would all these people be ushered in and out of the area? The transport links are awful.

The investment needed would be much wider than just the stadium, which then makes sense for partial government funding.

Last edited:
While they're at it, get the Ferguson statue re-sculpted. Awful tribute to the man.

We don’t have space for both

This is the outcome I have hoped for. It doesn't matter which option we go for, they're all going to be expensive and take a long time to complete.

Maintaining the history of the Old Trafford site and providing an established home for the youth and women's teams will be excellent.

30,000 would be a lot.....20,000 would be better (especially for the womens team).

If you think we will have a 100,000 stadium
While maintaining a 75,000 stadium for women / youths where it will never be full I don’t know what to say to you.
It's clearly going to be reduced according to the articles...

The space isn't the issue.

Do we think the new stadium have a Stretford End, Sir Alex Feguson stand and Sir Bobby Charlton stand?

Would feel weird to not, but it’s not “Old Trafford” when the stadium remains next door…

Yesterday I said it could be downsized. Keep up.
Only after your initial post.

Reducing a 75,000 capacity stadium to less than half of that and building a new 100,000 capacity stadium on the available adjacent land will require a fair bit of knocking down what's currently there.

If they do retain it, which I still doubt will be the case, it'll likely be not much more than the pitch and foundations that survive.

This option is a bit weird in my opinion.

If you own a large plot of land with a run down home on it and you want to build a new house. You don't keep the old one for the "memories".

I get it, people have an emotional attachment to OT but it's all getting kind of silly.

You can keep the Munich memorial and statues and incorporate them into the new stadium (An example could be the clock at Arsenal) and you use the rest of the land for maximum revenue potential. Entertainment centers, hotels etc. All extra income.

You can play the women's matches and have training sessions somewhere else, somewhere that wouldn't deny us of all that extra revenue. P.s Womens football really doesn't generate much money, the reason the Glazers didn't bother with a women's team for so long.

What is a shame is regardless if OT is expanded or a new one is made, we will have to accept a sponsor naming the stadium. The Snapdragon stadium or whatever. I know they said they will take it to the fans, but I can't see them spending £2bn and not trying to recoup that back via naming rights.

Yesterday I said it could be downsized. Keep up.
Surely a total waste of space and money. Downsizing with the planning that goes with it will cost a bloody fortune. Either bulldoze the shit hole and get on with it, or massively redevelop it to the point where it's unrecognisable (so bulldoze it anyway).

Surely a total waste of space and money. Downsizing with the planning that goes with it will cost a bloody fortune. Either bulldoze the shit hole and get on with it, or massively redevelop it to the point where it's unrecognisable (so bulldoze it anyway).
Are you even a United fan

:lol: Christ. I know it’s got a leaky roof and needs a real facelift, but steady on.

This option is a bit weird in my opinion.

If you own a large plot of land with a run down home on it and you want to build a new house. You don't keep the old one for the "memories".

I get it, people have an emotional attachment to OT but it's all getting kind of silly.

You can keep the Munich memorial and statues and incorporate them into the new stadium (An example could be the clock at Arsenal) and you use the rest of the land for maximum revenue potential. Entertainment centers, hotels etc. All extra income.

You can play the women's matches and have training sessions somewhere else, somewhere that wouldn't deny us of all that extra revenue. P.s Womens football really doesn't generate much money, the reason the Glazers didn't bother with a women's team for so long.
Women's football is growing very quickly - Arsenal were getting 60,000 in attendance last year when they played at the Emirates. "Play the women's matches somewhere else", yeah they currently play in Leigh, which isn't great for transport links to build the fanbase, feels detached from the rest of the club, and is limited to 12k.

If they can make the two stadium thing work it would be ideal.

So we’ll have:
New Old Trafford
Original Old Trafford
Cricket Old Trafford

Women's football is growing very quickly - Arsenal were getting 60,000 in attendance last year when they played at the Emirates. "Play the women's matches somewhere else", yeah they currently play in Leigh, which isn't great for transport links to build the fanbase, feels detached from the rest of the club, and is limited to 12k.

If they can make the two stadium thing work it would be ideal.

I get what you're saying about the sport growing, but the 60,000 sell out crowd at Arsenal was a new record, not something that happens every weekend. I just did a quick search and they average just over 30,000 fans per game and this is for possibly the best team in the womens league.

Also keep in mind, ticket prices for the women's matches are much less, sponsorship money is less, shirt sales less etc.

I doubt it will ever get anywhere close to the mens game in terms of revenue but if it does keep growing like you said and the income from keeping the women at Old Trafford is higher than what could be made from entertainment facilities on that land, then i wouldn't be against keeping OT.

I just feel as things are right now, it doesn't add up.