New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford | Aim is to build 100k seater stadium

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 946 55.8%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 748 44.2%

• Total voters
And SoFi/all US NFL stadiums are built like that because the fans that want to watch the game sit on the sides and the ones that want to fart about go in the entertainment bits in the endzones. Football/soccer it's the opposite so we'll likely have that large end stand regardless.

Not really true

Also not sure where the notion of these stadiums in the US are surrounded by entertainment complexes come from. Most are either crammed into a city or are surrounded by acres of car parks due to little public transport in the US. Tailgating is a big part of the culture in US sports. Main focus of US stadium's is the concessions inside.

Not really true

Also not sure where the notion of these stadiums in the US are surrounded by entertainment complexes come from. Most are either crammed into a city or are surrounded by acres of car parks due to little public transport in the US. Tailgating is a big part of the culture in US sports. Main focus of US stadium's is the concessions inside.

The actual stadiums themselves have entertainment bits in the endzones, not that they're surrounding by entertainment complexes. Think of the pirate ship at Tampa Bay for our esteemed owners as an example.

The design of NFL stadiums prioritises seats for the fans down the sides and then scattered seating in the endzones to make space for entertainment - a direct opposite to having fans behind the goals in football/soccer stadiums.

It's fan preference and it's a well known 'thing'.

So wanting working class people to be able afford more than one match a season makes me a nostalgia merchant? Wanting a ground that actually caters for normal people is wrong?

Maybe we should sack off any links to our mancunian heritage and move down south? Build a 120,000 seater stadium. The atmosphere will be shite and no ordinary people will be able to afford it but the club's revenue will increase loads so we can chuck more money at overrated and overpaid bozos. Sounds ace.

Indeed...

With the money flowing through football at the moment, there shouldn't be a reason to increase ticket prices.

It's a combination of sheer greed and awful management.

I've mentioned it before but United could increase revenue loads by building some half decent bars and restaurants near the ground. There's nowhere decent near OT so would be cleae demand from day one.

Why is nostalgia considered such a bad thing?

Both those stadiums were iconic and whilst, they were too small, often created a fantastic atmosphere. West Ham's ground is now awful on every level.

I actually like the new Spurs ground but again, it's been used as a method for increasing ticket prices and outpricing working class fans.
:+1:

I’d like a traditional looking stadium which is actually modern, I think they call it retro?
Maybe an Old Trafford that doesn’t look like a bloody Meccano set has been bolted to it with decent leg room and bigger seats as people are getting taller and bigger.
A capacity of around 80,000 would be ideal and build it where the existing ground is now, and when it’s been built ground share with Everton, they will be grateful of the extra revenue and we would probably get a good deal, not too far to travel for a season or two.
The end result will be a great looking traditional looking yet modern stadium fit for 100+ years.

I’d like a traditional looking stadium which is actually modern, I think they call it retro?
Maybe an Old Trafford that doesn’t look like a bloody Meccano set has been bolted to it with decent leg room and bigger seats as people are getting taller and bigger.
A capacity of around 80,000 would be ideal and build it where the existing ground is now, and when it’s been built ground share with Everton, they will be grateful of the extra revenue and we would probably get a good deal, not too far to travel for a season or two.
The end result will be a great looking traditional looking yet modern stadium fit for 100+ years.
The whole point of the new build plans is the limitations at the current site, due to the canal and the train tracks.
A new build will not be at the existing site, it will be on the land out the back

I’m not sure Merseyside Police would back an idea where they’d have both United and Liverpool or Everton and Liverpool playing home games in such close proximity to each other on the same day or same weekend for an entire season or two.

The actual stadiums themselves have entertainment bits in the endzones, not that they're surrounding by entertainment complexes. Think of the pirate ship at Tampa Bay for our esteemed owners as an example.

The design of NFL stadiums prioritises seats for the fans down the sides and then scattered seating in the endzones to make space for entertainment - a direct opposite to having fans behind the goals in football/soccer stadiums.

Is it? Some prefer it, others don't.

I’m not sure Merseyside Police would back an idea where they’d have both United and Liverpool or Everton and Liverpool playing home games in such close proximity to each other on the same day or same weekend for an entire season or two.
Hmm, I didn’t think that through did I :lol:

Not really true. I've been to MetLife plenty of times (Giants fan + other half family has about 10 season tickets) and it's certainly not that way.. I've been to plenty of others. very few stadiums are like that, and the ones that do are because the endzones are usually least desirable seats/cheapest seats with big video boards.

On the contrary, you look at floor plan of most stadiums you have lot of club, VIP and suites on the sides.

Last edited:
Oh god, I'd absolutely hate our stadium being called Snapdragon Stadium.

"But everyone else does it", "we need to finance the stadium", bla, bla, bla.

I honestly don't think it matters. We still call it a United shirt, not a Snapdragon shirt, and we'll still call any stadium we build on that site Old Trafford.

I would have no issue with a new stadium called SnapDragon Old Trafford because (a it still has Old Trafford in the name and thats what it will be called anyway and b) it sounds a hell of a lot better that the SnapDragon Arena.

On a much much smaller scale, the main GAA stadium in Cork recently signed a sponsorship with SuperValu and their bright idea was to rename the stadium from Pairc Ui Chaoimh to SuperValu Park. The outrage locally prompted a swift change of plans and now its called SuperValu Pairc Ui Chaoimh instead. Only time it gets its new full name is on official programmes etc.

I honestly don't think it matters. We still call it a United shirt, not a Snapdragon shirt, and we'll still call any stadium we build on that site Old Trafford.

Would we though? Especially if the current stadium lives on in some reduced capacity.

I know the area is called Old Trafford but the current stadium has borne that name for over a century. We might as well just call new stadium something else and make money from it. It would most likely be the Snapdragon stadium at Old Trafford or similar.

I mean if you'd read the article or even tweets about the article....

I understand your reservations, but as the income raised is pure revenue, ultimately it means more to spend on players - perhaps the difference in choice between 'Neves or Amrabat' type signings in the future.

Last edited:
If they want to give us £50m+ a year for naming rights to a stadium everyone will still call Old Trafford anyway, we'd be stupid not to take it.

Shame as it is. We need a new stadium. Been going on and off for the past 40+ years and the ground is a bit of a shithole now. Went on the Stadium tour today and that confirmed it. Prices will go up unfortunately, but they will go up anyway. Naming rights are bound to eventually happen. They may call it ‘Qualcomm Arena’

Twickenham has just announced it will be called The Allianz Stadium. After the initial shock of hearing a stadium speak, no one will give a feck because everyone will still call it Twickenham.

Snapdragon OT is liveable with, Snapdragon Something at OT most certainly isn't. Keep that style for ludicrously priced restaurants at ludicrously priced hotels. Emirates OT works fine but it's still really just OT. It'd be the same here as Snapdragon chap says.

No chance, it's only 6.000 more than we have now. If we're getting a new stadium, it should the biggest and best we can fit on there, and it should be 90k at a minimum.

Like every time a commentator mentions the "Etihad", I don't think that'll be the case. Maybe if the new stadium didn't have a name to begin with, but not if it's the name from the beginning.

I mean if you'd read the article or even tweets about the article....

From how I understand it, Old Trafford will stay the same yes - but a new Old Trafford / stadium wont be called Old Trafford in the first place, so it has no other name than what it begins with - Which'll then be Snapdragon Something. I doubt we'll name two stadiums Old Trafford. Or just call the old one Old Old trafford? Sounds a little off.

Wouldn't like to see the current stadium renamed. But if they build a brand new stadium then I don't really care what name they throw on it, as there's no history attached to it to cheapen.

Like every time a commentator mentions the "Etihad", I don't think that'll be the case. Maybe if the new stadium didn't have a name to begin with, but not if it's the name from the beginning.
To be fair, their stadium wasn't built on the same site as Maine Road, and the previous name was the uninspiring mouthful: 'The City of Manchester Stadium'.

If they want to give us £50m+ a year for naming rights to a stadium everyone will still call Old Trafford anyway, we'd be stupid not to take it.

It would be closer to £10m. Stadium naming rights really aren't worth very much.

I like it.

Snapdragon has a nice sound to it.

In the end it will still be Old Trafford. But might as well make money off it.

From how I understand it, Old Trafford will stay the same yes - but a new Old Trafford / stadium wont be called Old Trafford in the first place, so it has no other name than what it begins with - Which'll then be Snapdragon Something. I doubt we'll name two stadiums Old Trafford. Or just call the old one Old Old trafford? Sounds a little off.
I think the old one will cease to exist personally & the new one will just be called

“Old Trafford powered by Snapdragon” but everyone will just call it Old Trafford.

I think the old one will cease to exist personally & the new one will just be called

“Old Trafford powered by Snapdragon” but everyone will just call it Old Trafford.
Hopefully. I can sort of life with that, but no way in hell should it be an outright Snapdragon Arena or Snapdragon Stadium.

Still, it’s not more than badly negotiated deal for a McTominay or an Amrabat. Surely not worth selling your soul for?

I think if we sold the rights to OT we'd get more than Barca. And it'd always been known as Old Trafford...regardless. No-one is going to call it Spotify Nou Camp for example. Just like no one called St James's Park... The Sports Direct Arena. However a new stadium will always been known by the name of the first sponsor. It's always the Reebok for me, despite it being called something else these days. My suggestion would be to include 'Old Trafford' along with the name of a sponsor for the potential new stadium. We'd get less but I'd be happy with that.