New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford | Aim is to build 100k seater stadium

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 946 55.8%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 748 44.2%

• Total voters
I think if we sold the rights to OT we'd get more than Barca. And it'd always been known as Old Trafford...regardless. No-one is going to call it Spotify Nou Camp for example. Just like no one called St James's Park... The Sports Direct Arena. However a new stadium will always been known by the name of the first sponsor. It's always the Reebok for me, despite it being called something else these days. My suggestion would be to include 'Old Trafford' along with the name of a sponsor for the potential new stadium. We'd get less but I'd be happy with that.
Maybe, and yet I’d rather we take a step in the opposite direction, rather than we take a step in that direction.

If we get a new stadium I want it to be 106,000 seater. Just so we can say we are bigger than the nou camp after it's revamp (expected to be 105,000).

Couldn't care less about naming rights. Not too bothered about moving grounds. Ajax did it, Bayern have done it. Athletico Madrid have, Juventus have.

Just as long as it's best in class plus a best in class training ground.

If we get a new stadium I want it to be 106,000 seater. Just so we can say we are bigger than the nou camp after it's revamp (expected to be 105,000).

Couldn't care less about naming rights. Not too bothered about moving grounds. Ajax did it, Bayern have done it. Athletico Madrid have, Juventus have.

Why not 132,001? That way we re the biggest period.

Nou Camp is biggest in Europe. Which is why it would be nice to be bigger than Barcelona's Nou Camp.

Snapdragon has only announced their interest, anyone else could still surpass their potential offer. There will be a bidding war for naming rights.

Full naming rights are worth twice as much as partial naming rights like Spotify Camp Nou. It'll depend on how strongly people feel about such things, and how willing the owners are to listen. People will be more open to renaming the new stadium, if Old Trafford remains but partial naming would still be most fans' no.1 choice.

It's also a case of leaving huge amounts of revenue out the door, when rivals like City(esp. with inflated deals), Arsenal and soon Newcastle probably will benefit more from full rights. We'd be worth around £600m for a 20-year deal.

Last edited:
I think if we sold the rights to OT we'd get more than Barca. And it'd always been known as Old Trafford...regardless. No-one is going to call it Spotify Nou Camp for example. Just like no one called St James's Park... The Sports Direct Arena. However a new stadium will always been known by the name of the first sponsor. It's always the Reebok for me, despite it being called something else these days. My suggestion would be to include 'Old Trafford' along with the name of a sponsor for the potential new stadium. We'd get less but I'd be happy with that.

Ireland’s national stadium used to be called Landsdowne Road and now most people call it the Aviva. Not sure why but there you go. Maybe because the renamed version is easier to say?

Snapdragon has only announced their interest, anyone else could still surpass their potential offer. There will be a bidding war for naming rights.

Full naming rights are worth twice as much as partial naming rights like Spotify Camp Nou. It'll depend on how strongly people feel about such things, and how willing the owners are to listen. People will be more open to renaming the new stadium, if Old Trafford remains but partial naming would still be most fans' no.1 choice.

It's also a case of leaving huge amounts of revenue out the door, when rivals like City(esp. with inflated deals), Arsenal and soon Newcastle probably will benefit more from full rights. We'd be worth around £600m for a 10-year deal.

£60m a year is rather steep. Emirates pay Arsenal £4m a year for naming rights to their stadium and Spotify reportedly pay Barcelona £4.3m per year for 'Spotify Camp Nou'. The idea that Qualcomm would pay us 15 times as much, seems rather fanciful.

£60m a year is rather steep. Emirates pay Arsenal £4m a year for naming rights to their stadium and Spotiy reportedly pay Barcelona £4.3m per year for 'Spotify Camp Nou'. The idea that Qualcomm would pay us 15 times as much, seems rather fanciful.

Yes, but it will go up to £20m once the Camp Nou is fully renovated.

£60m a year is rather steep. Emirates pay Arsenal £4m a year for naming rights to their stadium and Spotify reportedly pay Barcelona £4.3m per year for 'Spotify Camp Nou'. The idea that Qualcomm would pay us 15 times as much, seems rather fanciful.
Arsenal deal was very poor for them, Emirates helped them finance the stadium directly and got favourable kit and stadium rights deals. Barcelona and City earn around £20m and £22m respectively. Full naming rights are worth much more, SoFi is paying $625m over 20 years, I'd hope United would be worth more than that, considering a much bigger stadium and to soften the blow of renaming an icon.

Ireland’s national stadium used to be called Landsdowne Road and now most people call it the Aviva. Not sure why but there you go. Maybe because the renamed version is easier to say?
I'd always wondered about this.
I was still calling it Landsdowne Road with Irish fans I met but, as you say, they were calling it the Aviva, so I do too.
I miss the days of Landsdowne Road and Cardiff Arms Park. Probably because Scotland were generally better.

Lansdowne Road and the Aviva are surely two different stadia. A bit like White Hart Lane and the new ground, which is still sponsorless after 5 years. Surprising since Levy is apparently the greatest negotiator in the history of great negotiators.

If I'm correct the Aviva name came after they demolished the old stadium and built the new stadium on the same site. Aviva got the naming rights straight away, I don't recall anyone referring to Landsdowne Road unless making references to the old stadium. Hence why I think it's become known as that rather than anything else.

If I'm correct the Aviva name came after they demolished the old stadium and built the new stadium on the same site. Aviva got the naming rights straight away, I don't recall anyone referring to Landsdowne Road unless making references to the old stadium. Hence why I think it's become known as that rather than anything else.

Yeah, it’s the exact same spot but the stadium was flattened and rebuilt.

When Old Trafford is gone, it's gone - forever.

New toys get rusty, fast.

I don't go to Old Trafford but I still find it strange so many want decades and decades of incredible history to be bulldozed.

I've had seasoned tickets to the NBA (I know it's quite different to large stadiums) but I never gave much thought to leg room, crowded washrooms, large lines etc. I was there for the game and the people and the atmosphere.

When Old Trafford is gone, it's gone - forever.

New toys get rusty, fast.

I don't go to Old Trafford but I still find it strange so many want decades and decades of incredible history to be bulldozed.

I've had seasoned tickets to the NBA (I know it's quite different to large stadiums) but I never gave much thought to leg room, crowded washrooms, large lines etc. I was there for the game and the people and the atmosphere.

I don't think anyone wants it knocked down?

We want a new world leading elite stadium built beside it. That will stand the test of time for the next 100 years.

And Old Trafford then used for training / youth games / ladies team / history tours / concerts. Whatever.

No chance, it's only 6.000 more than we have now. If we're getting a new stadium, it should the biggest and best we can fit on there, and it should be 90k at a minimum.
I’d rather a quality space whete one can sit comfortably rather than be crammed in with seats up in the gods where you need a set of binoculars just to make out the ball. Supporters pay a premium price for tickets and they should receive value for money.
Size isn’t everything.

We want a new world leading elite stadium built beside it. That will stand the test of time for the next 100 years.

And Old Trafford then used for training / youth games / ladies team / history tours / concerts. Whatever.
And the cost of maintaining an old stadium will not be viable.

i would tear down old trafford and build some high-end flats there and regenerate the area for affluent people. maybe installing high fences or walls to keep the poor out.

i’d then build a new stadium in milton keynes, so the ground is closer to true fans.

Over a 20 year deal, United could surely get around 600-800m for complete naming rights for the stadium. If that could be matched by public funds as part of the levelling up scheme, that’s upwards of 50% of the cost towards a new stadium and surrounding area redevelopment. I can imagine a 3bn project all in, with the fan zones, hospitality, hotels etc.

Over a 20 year deal, United could surely get around 600-800m for complete naming rights for the stadium. If that could be matched by public funds as part of the levelling up scheme, that’s upwards of 50% of the cost towards a new stadium and surrounding area redevelopment. I can imagine a 3bn project all in, with the fan zones, hospitality, hotels etc.
Hospitality, Hotels, and other non club stuff will be privately funded I'd imagine. I'd say £2bn-£2.5bn for stadium and £500m-£1bn for other stuff from external funding. Then on top of that is all the infrastructure, roads, tram, etc. As the Metrolink System currently towards Trafford Centre can't cope enough as it is on a match day, especially after the game.

I think Peel Group are doing the hotels and housing - huge development group and did the stuff across the way (Lowry site)

I’d rather a quality space whete one can sit comfortably rather than be crammed in with seats up in the gods where you need a set of binoculars just to make out the ball. Supporters pay a premium price for tickets and they should receive value for money.
Size isn’t everything.
Makes a helluva difference to match day revenue having a 100,000 seater stadium than a 80,000 one.

Barcelona make £2.75mil per home game. Their capacity is just short of 100,000. I'd guess PL games are more expensive to attend than La Liga. So that £2.75mil per home game could be higher for Utd.

If we want to clear our glazer induced debts and become self sufficient, a 100,000 seater stadium is a must.

Makes a helluva difference to match day revenue having a 100,000 seater stadium than a 80,000 one.

Barcelona make £2.75mil per home game. Their capacity is just short of 100,000. I'd guess PL games are more expensive to attend than La Liga. So that £2.75mil per home game could be higher for Utd.

If we want to clear our glazer induced debts and become self sufficient, a 100,000 seater stadium is a must.
We make £3.96m per game apparently.

Can't be right, Spurs make £6m revenue per matchday.

We make £3.96m per game apparently.
https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5377168/2024/04/01/tottenham-hotspur-stadium-beyonce-nfl-profit/

Compared to White Hart Lane, the new Tottenham Hotspur Stadium is a gigantic 62,000-seater ATM. Tottenham make close to £6m ($7.5m) per matchday. Over the course of a season that makes for an unbeatable number. Over the 2021-22 season, the first back after Covid-19, Spurs made £106m ($134m) in matchday revenue, second only to Manchester United.

But that will mean presumably more cost to build the thing?

There's also no guarantee we'd sell 100,000 tickets every match. Unless they make a higher % of tickets affordable for more people.

I got my Barcelona numbers from here (could be wrong):

https://beoriginaltours.com/how-much-does-barcelona-make-per-game/

This article reckons we would make £230mil a season in match day revenue with 100,000 seater stadium. Which would be £12 million a home game!

https://www.unitedinfocus.com/news/...0m-per-season-from-new-100000-seater-stadium/
And that’s just from match days. A stadium like that would make a lot more in other events like concerts and other sports. It would be an events hub for the north of England.

The economics of maintaining a derelict 75 000 seater stadium for training/youth/ladies etc. is quite ludicrous, though. That means we would have to maintain two giant stadiums at the same time.

There is simply no way keeping Old Trafford anywhere near current capacity is economically sustainable if they build a new ground.

You'd want a brand new, architecturally simple/clean academy stadium of around 15-20 000 for that to be viable. That would ensure minimum maintenance costs. And it could be built around the current Old Trafford pitch, to maintain its history.

Call it Duncan Edwards Park, Busby Ground, or something to that effect.

I was just about to put this exact thing into words..I want our stadium to be bigger than the nou camp. If their stadium has 105,000 capacity, I want ours to have capacity for 105,001 just for snideness.

Size isn’t everything.
Totally. You can add having part of the pitch blocked out by a speaker after squeezing your 6ft4 frame into the allocated space as happened at the Newcastle game.