New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford | Aim is to build 100k seater stadium

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 945 55.8%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 748 44.2%

• Total voters

Sounds a bit sentimental. I checked with a mate who is an architect to get some info on him. He's never designed a stadium apparently and he's nearly 90 and his style is quite outdated. Not exactly going to be at the cutting edge of architecture.

Sounds a bit sentimental. I checked with a mate who is an architect to get some info on him. He's never designed a stadium apparently and he's nearly 90 and his style is quite outdated. Not exactly going to be at the cutting edge of architecture.
He has designed the new Wembley stadium and also the Lusail Stadium along with Populous. He's also designed the Apple HQ, one of the most modern buildings in the world, and also almost every single Apple store in the world. The new stadium will probably be designed by Foster partners and Populous.

He has designed fewer stadiums, because hiring his firm is expensive and stadiums are cost sensitive. It is mentioned in the article. The fee is normally 4-10 percent of the total project cost, with Norman Foster taking closer to 10 percent.

He has designed the new Wembley stadium and also the Lusail Stadium along with Populous. He's also designed the Apple HQ, one of the most modern buildings in the world, and also almost every single Apple store in the world. The new stadium will probably be designed by Foster partners and Populous.
Fair enough, cheers!

He has designed fewer stadiums, because hiring his firm is expensive and stadiums are cost sensitive. It is mentioned in the article. The fee is normally 4-10 percent of the total project cost, with Norman Foster taking closer to 10 percent.

Plus area redevelopment and transport projects, which is no doubt another key reason.

Yep.

What stadiums has he designed? Because being involved in the new Wembley is the opposite of a flex.

Lusail - looked generic but he didn't design the interior. Wembley, still criticised by fans. Two failed proposals - Barca and Real.

This is great to hear as Sir Norman Foster is an acclaimed architect. This is a big deal. I know a lot of people thought his original design for World Trade Center Tower 2 was the best among the initial plans for rebuilding the site.

Did you actually think your mate would have a better inside story on the guy than our football club?
:lol:
No but let’s be honest we’ve not exactly made the best decisions in the last decade or so. I wasn’t massively enthused with the proposed look of the new Carrington for example.

He would be more of a master planner than the Architect doing the details. So all he really needs to do is lay the foundation of the design.

No but let’s be honest we’ve not exactly made the best decisions in the last decade or so. I wasn’t massively enthused with the proposed look of the new Carrington for example.

To be fair, he's only fully designed one stadium - Wembley. So, your mate isn't far off.

The current OT design is mostly fine. Some of the facilities are out of date now and the South/North stands need a bit of work but why reinvent the wheel?

If you're going for a new ground, keep the East Stand and Stretford End the same with a bit more leg room and build a two tier South Stand opposite a two tier North Stand where you can actually see properly at the top. By my calculations, that would give us around an 93,000 capacity stadium once South West/South East corners have been completed.

Fill the South Stand with corporate facilities and use that money to keep prices at a reasonable level. Also give Season Ticket holders an opportunity to sit in essentially the same areas so those communities that have built up over 30/40/50 years can remain.

Easy.

Sir Norman Foster may, might, maybe, could, possibly...yet another fact filled, direct quote packed, space filling piece about United.

I’ve been to Lusail for the World Cup (his last creation), couldn’t help but feel it felt a lot like the Emirates or Wembley.

Sir Norman Foster needs to do something special to make me truly love the new stadium. Considering he’s 89, I don’t see much hope.

Good thing is that the committee under Seb Coe have said that we should have a stadium that captures the soul of Manchester - bricks et al. Not some soulless bowl that tends to be most new stadiums. So hopefully his team will help with that.

I’ve been to Lusail for the World Cup (his last creation), couldn’t help but feel it felt a lot like the Emirates or Wembley.

Sir Norman Foster needs to do something special to make me truly love the new stadium. Considering he’s 89, I don’t see much hope.

Good thing is that the committee under Seb Coe have said that we should have a stadium that captures the soul of Manchester - bricks et al. Not some soulless bowl that tends to be most new stadiums. So hopefully his team will help with that.
"Souless bowl" mention. Plus one point.

One point off for not using the phrase "Trigger's broom" though.

Please no bricks. Stop this bizarre stereotype or cliche. Next stop industrial. Media City/Quays isn't full of bricks and Town is a juxtaposition of contemporary(,skyline is looking fantastic) and Victorian. We've got loads of bricked houses though and the Victoria Warehouse a stones throw away from OT is a bricked warehouse but please keep that away from a new stadium.

Last edited:
Hope not. His stuff has nothing that reflects the surrounding area or the history of a place. It's just modernist glass and steel.

Perhaps they could at least incorporate brick, like that one lopsided Chelsea design that went around a few years back but I can't post because I'm a newbie.

Please no bricks. Stop this bizarre stereotype or cliche. Next stop industrial. Media City/Quays isn't full of bricks and Town is a juxtaposition of contemporary(,skyline is looking fantastic) and Victorian. We've got loads of bricked houses though and the Victoria Warehouse a stones throw away from OT is a bricked warehouse but please keep that away from a new stadium.
Hope not. His stuff has nothing that reflects the surrounding area or the history of a place. It's just modernist glass and steel.

Perhaps they could at least incorporate brick, like that one lopsided Chelsea design that went around a few years back but I can't post because I'm a newbie.
So minus one for bricks + plus one for bricks.

Does that equal zero bricks or a small scattering of bricks here and there?

I quite like the way the city has shaped. I hope we don't make OT look industrial when Manchester has not been or (even looks like) an industrial city for decades. I don't mind brick but I hate lazy stereotypes. I reckon some folk would love early 20th century smoking chimneys incorporated in the design.

Edited.

Last edited:
I quite liken the way the city is shape. I hope we don't make look industrial when Manchester has not been or (even looks like) an industrial city for decades. I don't mind brick but I hate lazy stereotypes. I reckon some folk works early 20th century smoking chimneys incorporated in the the design.
Yeah, I'm not fussed on bricks either. I can't think of too many new builds in and around Manchester that have much brickwork, although that one near Salford Central station that has a basket weave design is very nice.

I'd like it to be distinctive and modern, I don't care too much about materials.

Please don’t mess this up United. Make it the best football stadium in the world. Our club deserves it and with 100k capacity, it would be mesmerising. Would make Arsenal, Liverpool, city look like tinpots.Although city is already a tinpot club.

Yeah, I'm not fussed on bricks either. I can't think of too many new builds in and around Manchester that have much brickwork, although that one near Salford Central station that has a basket weave design is very nice.

I'd like it to be distinctive and modern, I don't care too much about materials.
Yes. Some great brick stuff being built in Redbank but it's hardly going to be some bizarre Manchester cliché, in fact the area will resemble Manhatten not a couple of warehouses in Trafford Park... that folk seem to think represent Manchester.

Guessing a Lucas Oil Stadium influence would be a no for you?

1280px-Aerial_view_of_Indianapolis%2C_Indiana%2C_with_a_focus_on_Lucas_Oil_Stadium%2C_highsm.40934.jpg

Guessing a Lucas Oil Stadium influence would be a no for you?

1280px-Aerial_view_of_Indianapolis%2C_Indiana%2C_with_a_focus_on_Lucas_Oil_Stadium%2C_highsm.40934.jpg

No. It resembles other stadia in the area(Indianapolis?) It'd look like the Victoria Warehouse in Trafford Park if built here. I've no idea why we'd want a stadium that resembles the only bricked warehouse near OT. It wouldn't fit in with Media City and all.

No. It resembles other stadia in the area(Indianapolis?) It'd look like the Victoria Warehouse in Trafford Park if built here. I've no idea why we'd want a stadium that resembles the only bricked warehouse near OT. It wouldn't fit in with Media City and all.
I agree, only saw it as I looked up those architects you recommend earlier and it looked very on the nose :lol:

I agree, only saw it as I looked up those architects you recommend earlier and it looked very on the nose :lol:

They did the SoFi stadium, Vikings and the new one in Las Vegas(I think). As for the Indianapolis one...it looks like other stadia in the city - fair enough. Would look silly in an expanded Media City/Quays/Trafford Wharf, though.

Last edited:

He designed Wembley? feck me, I’ve heard enough, get him as far away from any Old Trafford rebuild as possible. Absolute joker.

Maybe they can leave one of the plain concrete walls wet and we can all throw a brick each?

I would feel better about some billionaire's vanity/ego project if we could actually sign a midfielder or a fullback

Yay let’s replace one of the worlds most iconic & unique stadiums with just another soulless 100k seater bowl. How wonderful. Truly baffles me how so many people are in favour of this.

Old Trafford is one of the most magical things about this club. It’s iconic. Just like Anfield, Bernabau, Nou Camp, San Siro etc etc These stadiums are full of rich history & culture. They represent the club. They’re part of what makes these clubs special.

All these modern day stadiums, Emirates, Wembley, Spurs Stadium, Etihad etc may look nice and have great facilities but they’ll never compare with the historical stadiums. They’ll never have that romance.

The day United leave Old Trafford will be a sad day indeed. Part of the club will die.
Don't bother trying to find a sense of logic here.It'just Gen Z vibes.