New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford | Aim is to build 100k seater stadium

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 946 55.8%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 748 44.2%

• Total voters
It'd be cool if when they bulldoze old trafford they sell the bricks to fans so we can carry a piece of old trafford whenever we get on the bus

Just complete and utter nonsense. Move with the times for God's sake you bloody nostalgia merchant.
So wanting working class people to be able afford more than one match a season makes me a nostalgia merchant? Wanting a ground that actually caters for normal people is wrong?

Maybe we should sack off any links to our mancunian heritage and move down south? Build a 120,000 seater stadium. The atmosphere will be shite and no ordinary people will be able to afford it but the club's revenue will increase loads so we can chuck more money at overrated and overpaid bozos. Sounds ace.
We supposedly make around £4m a game from ticket sales, if we increase all our ticket prices by 50% and add an extra 20k seats, maybe we'll make £7m a game. Which means we'll have paid for the ground on our own in just 286 home games, or roughly 10 years. By which point people will probably be saying we need to modernise again. This is clearly the best and fairest way to do it, rather than paying for it with sponsorships and a few incredibly expensive corporate areas.
Indeed...

With the money flowing through football at the moment, there shouldn't be a reason to increase ticket prices.

It's a combination of sheer greed and awful management.

I've mentioned it before but United could increase revenue loads by building some half decent bars and restaurants near the ground. There's nowhere decent near OT so would be cleae demand from day one.
Think people have some nostalgia fests about the old grounds, when in fact it's largely the match going crowd that's changed. Those fans at West Ham also said Upton Park had poor atmosphere. White Heart Lane also was never great. It'll be the same for Old Trafford, ignoring the fact that we've been battling the lack of atmosphere since Roy Keane said we prefer prawn sandwiches.
Why is nostalgia considered such a bad thing?

Both those stadiums were iconic and whilst, they were too small, often created a fantastic atmosphere. West Ham's ground is now awful on every level.

I actually like the new Spurs ground but again, it's been used as a method for increasing ticket prices and outpricing working class fans.

Well if they decide to go through with the new stadium then I'll definitely have to save some money and finally get to England and to Old Trafford and watch some home game before it's gone forever.
Ain’t no proper Old Trafford experience quite like enjoying a nice cup of hot bovril on a blustery icy December evening against Bournemouth to remedy the chilling bones.

So wanting working class people to be able afford more than one match a season makes me a nostalgia merchant? Wanting a ground that actually caters for normal people is wrong?

Maybe we should sack off any links to our mancunian heritage and move down south? Build a 120,000 seater stadium. The atmosphere will be shite and no ordinary people will be able to afford it but the club's revenue will increase loads so we can chuck more money at overrated and overpaid bozos. Sounds ace.

Indeed...

With the money flowing through football at the moment, there shouldn't be a reason to increase ticket prices.

I've mentioned it before but United could increase revenue loads by building some half decent bars and restaurants near the ground. There's nowhere decent near OT so would be cleae demand from day one.

Both those stadiums were iconic and whilst, they were too small, often created a fantastic atmosphere. West Ham's ground is now awful on every level.

I actually like the new Spurs ground but again, it's been used as a method for increasing ticket prices and outpricing working class fans.

Keeping an area in desperate need of regeneration the same is not helping the working class, it holds them back.

The way people like you think holds back the working class. Stick to supporting FC United.

Keeping an area in desperate need of regeneration the same is not helping the working class, it holds them back.

The way people like you think holds back the working class. Stick to supporting FC United.
I think he just wants ticket prices to be affordable, new stadium or not.

If you get the new stadium right then the majority of fans will accept the move, if they botch the design and make a rite mess of it, then rightly lots of fans will be sad.

So it's in INEOS hands...don't feck it up!

We supposedly make around £4m a game from ticket sales, if we increase all our ticket prices by 50% and add an extra 20k seats, maybe we'll make £7m a game. Which means we'll have paid for the ground on our own in just 286 home games, or roughly 10 years. By which point people will probably be saying we need to modernise again. This is clearly the best and fairest way to do it, rather than paying for it with sponsorships and a few incredibly expensive corporate areas.
Increasing ticket prices by 50% isn’t the fairest way to pay off the stadium. The club take enough money for tickets as it is. If the ultra wealthy companies and corporate types want to subsidise the stadium then so be it, why should regular fans pay more?

Increasing ticket prices by 50% isn’t the fairest way to pay off the stadium. The club take enough money for tickets as it is. If the ultra wealthy companies and corporate types want to subsidise the stadium then so be it, why should regular fans pay more?
I really didn't think that level of sarcasm needed white text but here we are.

Because just like WHL and Upton Park, people will go "oh they had such great atmosphere every game" when in fact they did not. I actually less than half a mile from London Stadium, i know West Ham fans and they say Upton Park was getting dour over the last years of it's service. Yeah it's not a football stadium, but to pretend it's the sole reason for a lack of atmosphere (although it seems pretty rocking when they play in Europe and bigger teams) is complete nostalgia.

It will be the same with our new stadium, it will be blamed for a lack of atmosphere and people will forger that Old Trafford has been pretty sleepy at times for a whilst.

I'm ultimately, all for investment in the area but that shouldn't come at the expense of matchgoing fans. Pushing them away from one of the few things they have any meaningful attachment to in 2024 in the name of progress is just fecking depressing.

Last edited:
Maybe but people don't have to just accept that and should protest.
Stop going, that's what I did when the prices got too high, a private business can charge what they want and none of us have the right to go to a football match

Tbf we froze ticket prices for over a decade and given inflation and the sheer cost of the stadium, they would have to increase ticket prices just to even make it economically viable.

Even with the stadium, we won't be charging anywhere near London ticket prices.

Owners across the league are pushing hard. Season ticket holders at many prem clubs are accusing their owners of trying to push them out and that’s to do with the economics. United had to have something of a climb down from the attendance rules on the tickets this year for example and I believe West Ham had a similar
Redevelopment will see a price hike as well, sure it'll be cheaper, but with no clear alternative venue to play you're looking at big cuts in ticket revenues for the period of time it takes. How do you think they will make up for that?

oh I’m under no illusions that they wouldn’t fleece in the redevelopment scenario - premier league football in general is moving towards a US pay through the nose model. Would still prefer a stadium that’s for watching football not one that attracts people who want loads of things to do in the stadium that don’t involve watching football.

I will like a new stadium when it’s built. I just like the heritage

Stop going, that's what I did when the prices got too high, a private business can charge what they want and none of us have the right to go to a football match
Oh I have done. I just find it depressing that so many have such a defeatist attitude.

Those private businesses thought they could form a European Super League but it turned out they couldn't.

Oh I have done. I just find it depressing that so many have such a defeatist attitude.

Those private businesses thought they could form a European Super League but it turned out they couldn't.
They will eventually, tnat will be a bad day but I think it's inevitable at some point

oh I’m under no illusions that they wouldn’t fleece in the redevelopment scenario - premier league football in general is moving towards a US pay through the nose model. Would still prefer a stadium that’s for watching football not one that attracts people who want loads of things to do in the stadium that don’t involve watching football.

I will like a new stadium when it’s built. I just like the heritage

I think the issue is that, with TV money slowing down, sponsorships also somewhat. The next big revenue driver will be what is and around the stadium. More so with revenue generated from these areas can be included within FFP and PFS rules.

Would it be possible to have a modern ground where fans are still close to the pitch and seats are affordable?

Maybe not popular, but I’d love to see something modern and a bit weird and unique. Weird as in it has personality and some touches that represent Manchester and/or United.

Otherwise I’d like fans close to the pitch, proper acoustics and most of all: legroom.

Building a new stadium is nothing like the ESL. Come on.

I think the issue is that, with TV money slowing down, sponsorships also somewhat. The next big revenue driver will be what is and around the stadium. More so with revenue generated from these areas can be included within FFP and PFS rules.
It isn't really but the money is the reason so many clpubs are touring the US, the US TV deal is worth $450 million a year currently and there's a huge potential to grow that to probably twice that, as far as I'm aware the PL doesn't have a massive deal in Latin America, that'll be the next target

Out of interest what are you all willing to pay then to watch United, I am talking Season Tickets here, at what point do you draw the line and say you're done ?

Out of interest what are you all willing to pay then to watch United, I am talking Season Tickets here, at what point do you draw the line and say you're done ?

That shouldn't be a topic we have to discuss.

Indeed...

Is this real?

I see a lot of suggestions to downsize Old Trafford for the women's/youth teams, but wouldn't that cost at least a couple hundred million? Seems like quite an expensive undertaking.

Also, on the look of the new stadium retaining Old Trafford's features, red brick only makes up a small part of the exterior; glass, plastic, and steel make up most of the rest. So, I don't know how hard they will lean on the red bricks, too much and you could end up with a retro stadium like Lucas Oil. The most important feature for me is the rectangular shape of OT, would set it apart from most modern stadiums. Also, a large single/double stand replicating the Stretford end, too many tiers like the SoFi can't be great for the atmosphere.

Don’t need a new stadium. Sir Jim and Ineos, I’ve liked what they have done so far and know a few fans that think Sir Jim is a ‘rat’ and this is just a vanity/ego project.

But going with a new stadium, where Old Trafford is the heart of United. Rebuilt from bombings, many a great occasion, is not falling down or condemned.

You can see what a lick of paint and a bit of modernising can do to the tunnel ffs, just do the same all over, maybe make the roof look more modern and address the other structural issues associated with it and we will be fine.

New stadium to me is a complete vanity project. It’s something we don’t need. Revamp old Trafford, rebuild the existing area around it - it will all be ideal.

Let the statement piece go into the men’s team. Season starts in 2 weeks, 2 signings in but 1 is injured already - get the business done, we have room to spend before selling, use it.

If we get something close to the Sofi that would be amazing
Nah. Too far to travel for games.

If a new stadium is looking to the future then, no matter how romantic, brick wouldn't be the material of choice I expect. Could have a section of it in brick as a gesture to history, maybe where the museum would be appropriately, but it'll surely be virtually all steel and glass. It's how they shape that exterior around the probable interior bowl that'll determine a lot of opinions.

I see a lot of suggestions to downsize Old Trafford for the women's/youth teams, but wouldn't that cost at least a couple hundred million? Seems like quite an expensive undertaking.

Also, on the look of the new stadium retaining Old Trafford's features, red brick only makes up a small part of the exterior; glass, plastic, and steel make up most of the rest. So, I don't know how hard they will lean on the red bricks, too much and you could end up with a retro stadium like Lucas Oil. The most important feature for me is the rectangular shape of OT, would set it apart from most modern stadiums. Also, a large single/double stand replicating the Stretford end, too many tiers like the SoFi can't be great for the atmosphere.

How is Old Trafford rectangular? Do you mean the shape of the edge of the roof on the East/West going down to the South? That's the only thing I can think of. Aside from the fact that a football pitch is rectangular so every ground is a rectangle....oval....thing?

And SoFi/all US NFL stadiums are built like that because the fans that want to watch the game sit on the sides and the ones that want to fart about go in the entertainment bits in the endzones. Football/soccer it's the opposite so we'll likely have that large end stand regardless.

Don’t need a new stadium. Sir Jim and Ineos, I’ve liked what they have done so far and know a few fans that think Sir Jim is a ‘rat’ and this is just a vanity/ego project.

But going with a new stadium, where Old Trafford is the heart of United. Rebuilt from bombings, many a great occasion, is not falling down or condemned.

You can see what a lick of paint and a bit of modernising can do to the tunnel ffs, just do the same all over, maybe make the roof look more modern and address the other structural issues associated with it and we will be fine.

New stadium to me is a complete vanity project. It’s something we don’t need. Revamp old Trafford, rebuild the existing area around it - it will all be ideal.

Let the statement piece go into the men’s team. Season starts in 2 weeks, 2 signings in but 1 is injured already - get the business done, we have room to spend before selling, use it.

The legroom and concourses need expanding, the toilets need rebuilding, the South Stand would need expanding, etc.

All things that cost far too much relative to a brand new ground and/or are unfeasible. For instance we could do nothing about the South concourses, legroom, toilets. seats, etc because of the railway line behind.

There's zero point to putting a lick of paint on OT and calling it quits.