New Stadium or Revamp Old Trafford | Aim is to build 100k seater stadium

Would you rather a new stadium or rebuild Old Trafford?

• New stadium

Votes: 945 55.8%
  • Rebuild Old Trafford

Votes: 748 44.2%

• Total voters
I'm not sure how many people appreciate that the South Stand, the thing everyone thinks of when they talk about the stadium having soul, was designed by Archibald Leitch (and even that has been rebuilt). That same guy designed very similar stands for Anfield, Highbury, Celtic Park, Ibrox, even my local club at Stark's Park (and arguably the stand with the most character out of them all). In fact just looking at the list of stadiums in Britain that he designed you'd think he was just copying and pasting some of them.

By all means keep the stand intact, make it into a museum and turn the seating space into a more practical gathering area for fans when they first come into the park with levelled benches and table space. But short of lifting the whole stadium and moving it we're always going to have a railway line limiting how we can expand the place further.
The 1910 version of it was indeed a nice Archibald Leitch design, but it was also the part that was bombed in WWII and almost completely rebuilt in the late 40s. That bit was in turn knocked down and rebuilt in the 70s.

People talk about keeping the Munich Tunnel, but forget it isn't very old, is the worst part of the stadium in terms of access and was only given that name in 2008 because they bunged some graphic panels in there alongside an 'eternal flame'.

Last edited:
Sharing a stadium could prove difficult for us when this happens and could be a stopping block.

Etihad actually seems the only logical ground. It’s whether they allow us.

The new goodison would be a no go by the police United and Liverpool playing in same city the same weekend could be dangerous. Likes of wood park, Bolton etc be too small. Hillsborough bit small and probably a bit too far.

Trigger's brum. I guess it's more about location than the stands. But a new stadium adjacent to the ground isn't a bad compromise.

The biggest news potentially to come from the club in many years and a decision which will benefit the club going forward for the next 100 years.

As iconic as OT is, it’s time to knock it down and rebuilt , for too long we have stood still whilst the rest have caught up

At £2bn the stadium should last 50 years. That's it fully paid for by the extra 25000 seats.

25000 x £65 per match x 25 games per season x 50 seasons.

Job Done!

If the nou camp is going to be 105k I want us to be at least 106k.
We should have the biggest stadium!!
Exciting times though, looking forward to seeing what we can build.

I still have two major concerns.

The inevitable price hikes are going to be so depressing. What good is a new stadium if even more people are going to be outpriced? I am yet to see a commitment from anyone on the task force about pricing which is funny given most of these were probably giving it the "football is nothing without fans" message during covid and the super league debacle.

There also the logistical issues of getting 100k people in and out of the stadium. I think capacity will end up being capped at around 85,000 but if it was 100,000, a lot of work will need doing. If Manchester/Trafford can eventually manage 100,000 people going to and from OT seamlessly every other week in addition to everything else going on in town, there's no reason why it shouldn't be in contention for events like the Olympics going forward.

I am hoping fan consultancy they are referring to will cover that issue.

I have pretty much disliked OT's design since upgrades done after the SE upgrade in 93, so don't mind a new stadium now. Looks like they ugrades since then have backed themselves into a corner. Personally the most important part for me is the location. Trams, pubs and roads is what makes up a great part of matchday feeling for me.

A similar idea to Lucas Oil with clear references to Manchester's history and fit to create a great atmosphere would be brilliant.

A similar idea to Lucas Oil with clear references to Manchester's history and fit to create a great atmosphere would be brilliant.
That will probably look clichéd. Trafford Park is full of warehouses but that doesn't mean a new OT has to and all since Salford Quays and most of the construction going up in Town doesn't reflect that style of architecture. I hope we don't go overboard and design something we're imagining is Manchester when it's not. Lucas Oil has similar exterior aesthetics of other stadia in the area hence the bricked look.

Last edited:
I still have two major concerns.

The inevitable price hikes are going to be so depressing. What good is a new stadium if even more people are going to be outpriced? I am yet to see a commitment from anyone on the task force about pricing which is funny given most of these were probably giving it the "football is nothing without fans" message during covid and the super league debacle.

There also the logistical issues of getting 100k people in and out of the stadium. I think capacity will end up being capped at around 85,000 but if it was 100,000, a lot of work will need doing. If Manchester/Trafford can eventually manage 100,000 people going to and from OT seamlessly every other week in addition to everything else going on in town, there's no reason why it shouldn't be in contention for events like the Olympics going forward.

The metrolink will be extended to go directly to the stadium with increased capacity made available on match days, it’s entirely workable when starting from scratch.

This is really exciting.

I’m also not really fussed about the idea of naming rights with it being a new stadium. It’ll just be something like “INEOS Stadium at Old Trafford” and everyone will just still call it Old Trafford.

The Denver Broncos built their new stadium right next to the old one, it’s had a few names including the current “Empower Field at Mile High”, but I even had to google that just now because everyone just calls it Mile High.

Guessing the fact that so many media put this out, almost word for word, it's all but a press release telling us what's going to happen

A new stadium would be amazing. What is a realistic timeline?

Probably at least 7/8 years from the point they decide to go ahead to the stadium actually opening.

Final decision to be made at the end of this year, following consultation with fan groups.

The metrolink will be extended to go directly to the stadium with increased capacity made available on match days, it’s entirely workable when starting from scratch.
Metrolink won't put a dent in moving the numbers that need moving to a 100,000 capacity stadium and back. Maximum a single line can handle is about 4,000 people an hour.

Sounds great. So you'll be able to get from town to a 100,000 capacity ground in 20 minutes. Let's just hope people can still afford to buy a ticket.

Sounds great. So you'll be able to get from town to a 100,000 capacity ground in 20 minutes. Let's just hope people can still afford to buy a ticket.
Great if you enjoy cramming onto a carriage designed to have 60 people seated on it but which will have 300 forcing their way on it on a match day. Then a 6-12 minute wait before another one comes along and another 300 get on.

Metrolink won't put a dent in moving the numbers that need moving to a 100,000 capacity stadium and back. Maximum a single line can handle is about 4,000 people an hour.

There will also be a proper train station capable of moving people in more than one direction. That there will be space for fans to hang out will also ease the pressure. You'd happily stay longer around Old Trafford if there wasn't absolutely nothing to do. A few bars would make a killing.

At £2bn the stadium should last 50 years. That's it fully paid for by the extra 25000 seats.

25000 x £65 per match x 25 games per season x 50 seasons.

Job Done!
With inflation in 50 years time the tickets will probably be way way higher

Is it definitely Metrolink? I know they were talking about building a station at the freight terminal but I assumed it was trains.

There's always the option of speedboats on the canal!

Is it definitely Metrolink? I know they were talking about building a station at the freight terminal but I assumed it was trains.

You will observe the 4mph speed limit or suffer the wrath of the canal and river trust!

They've not actually committed to anything yet, it's all guesswork at this point.

We should bring back blimps.

If the decision is to be decided by the end of the year does that include any proposed designs? Planning permission? No point in waiting till the end if the year if it’s then going to take years in the planning phase.

Hopefully by the end of the year we have finished plans and then by 2025 they can start the work.

Wembley has two stations and it's still a shit show then it comes to leaving, there won't be an issue arriving as it's spread out over a few hours but it's just not possible to move that many people out of the ground at the same time.

I can't see us filling those seats every week if were looking for the 100K figure, anyone who goes to the games knows this, you will do it for City and Liverpool but midweek games, most teams in the bottom half, dead rubber cup games and were going to struggle to fill out the ground.

I would rather just go with an 85K stadium but space it out better, the seats aren't too bad but the concourse is shit at the moment to the point where you can't really move without knocking into someone, toilets are just fecked to put it simply.

The Metrolink is shit
It's very shit. It's like the Glazers have branched out into public transport. I think if we were to build a new stadium and it takes approx 6 years metrolink will have been replaced by a more competent group of people, it's barely fit for purpose.

Beautiful news but expected given the state of OT, the cost of renovating OT to the standard of modern stadia and how big a club we are on the global stage.

Thank you INEOS, so much.

It's very shit. It's like the Glazers have branched out into public transport. I think if we were to build a new stadium and it takes approx 6 years metrolink will have been replaced by a more competent group of people, it's barely fit for purpose.
It's fine for commuting if you avoid peak hours. And it's good for getting from the suburbs to the city on a weekend.

Trying to use it to get to a concert or football match is a totally different matter. It's just not built for it, yet people insist on attempting to use it for that.

It's usually quicker to walk from OT into the city centre than queue for a panic-attack inducing, over-capacity tram ride there.

It's fine for commuting if you avoid peak hours. And it's good for getting from the suburbs to the city on a weekend.

Trying to use it to get to a concert or football match is a totally different matter. It's just not built for it, yet people insist on attempting to use it for that.

It's usually quicker to walk from OT into the city centre than queue for a panic-attack inducing, over-capacity tram ride there.
I agree it's ok for getting into the city centre on a weekend, I gave up using it to commute a long time ago and bought a bike, there was a late kick off a few seasons ago and the trams were down, everyone just had to walk home. I find the newer lines are the most problematic. It needs changes, you can't just launch trams from every corner of Greater Manchester into the city centre it bottle necks, they need broader connections ideally something that's runs a similar route to the m60 ring road

Different scenarios since we didn't build ours in the same location!
Neither would we be. Same as Spurs. Their ground is literally on White Hart Lane, and half in the footprint of the old ground but it’s not called or known as WHL any more.
Their stadium isn’t called Old Goodison Park though. The new one will be Goodigrandson Park.
I didn’t say it was.

I agree it's ok for getting into the city centre on a weekend, I gave up using it to commute a long time ago and bought a bike, there was a late kick off a few seasons ago and the trams were down, everyone just had to walk home. I find the newer lines are the most problematic. It needs changes, you can't just launch trams from every corner of Greater Manchester into the city centre it bottle necks, they need broader connections ideally something that's runs a similar route to the m60 ring road
Exactly. Almost every service having to run through Deansgate is a big part of the problem.