Nemanja Matic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any regular watchers of the Portuguese league made any posts on him?

He's quality, that much is clear.

A midfielder that most haven't probably seen much of, but I'm almost sure will end up at a top club soon is Nemanja Matic. I don't understand how Chelsea let him go so easily, particularly with their relative lack of options in more defensive CM's. Benfica's coach deserves some credit for instilling him confidence and using him in his best position. They made what appeared to be a terrible squad management decision by not replacing Javi García and Witsel (in Witsel's case they didn't have much of a chance) but Matic has filled that hole perfectly so far.

Yes, something like that. Not sure about the money, but he seems to have been severely undervalued. He's having an amazing season, his style reminds me a bit of Touré. Very imposing defensively (194cm), but with far above average technique and a crack for important goals (watch below):

1:07, a very cool header against Leverkusen.

Matic never got a chance at Chelsea. He'd walk into United's midfield right now.

It complies with the usual "Premier League proven" guff. Probably why he didn't want Thiago either.

The bullshit we get constantly fed, when the likes of Mata, Oscar, Ozil etc can come from other leagues and fit in seamlessly. Still, if he is suddlenly showing interest in him then at least he is heading back in the right direction.

Even assuming this is true rather than just another person in the media deciding to kick someone when they're down, I'd be more peeved at Fergie for stubbornly refusing to sign a centre mid for however many windows, then decide to retire as soon as he finally decides there are a couple worth buying.

Or it's just bullshit, of course.

It probably wasn't the case that Moyes wasn't interested. More likely: Moyes's scouting team hadn't compiled a full report on Matic yet. That was the word that was coming out of Old Trafford over the Summer with regards to the way DM conducts his transfer business, so I imagine nothing concrete would have been decided here either.

If Jonathan Wilson is right about us being in for Matic again, I'm sure the deal could be resurrected without too much bother.

Isn't he basically a perfect fit given our current predicament? He's fit, available, quality and the right sort of player to give the squad a boost. He's also the kind of player that us fans would love to watch.

I'd guess that having signed Fellaini, Matic wouldn't be considered necessary by Moyes. Buying him too would be like already buying players around Marouane to ensure we don't really have to play him.

Matic is supposed to be far better than Fellaini though. I agree that he's a similar sort of player though and if you spent a fortune on Fellaini in the first place you cannot really have an argument for signing Matic six months or a year later.

Matic is supposed to be far better than Fellaini though. I agree that he's a similar sort of player though and if you spent a fortune on Fellaini in the first place you cannot really have an argument for signing Matic six months or a year later.
the only thing they have in common is their height though

Even assuming this is true rather than just another person in the media deciding to kick someone when they're down, I'd be more peeved at Fergie for stubbornly refusing to sign a centre mid for however many windows, then decide to retire as soon as he finally decides there are a couple worth buying.

Or it's just bullshit, of course.

We were continously linked with Matic last season, was almost dead sure Fergie would buy him. When Moyes stepped in, the only storries linking us to him were repeated from when Fergie was interested. Ofcourse we don't know but I think it is highly likely that the managerial switch put him off our radar or atleast not on top of the list anymore.

Big chance Alcantara and Strootman are similar cases. Ferguson was a really long time admirer off them and I don't think he would have missed up a chance to sign Thiago like Moyes did.

You have to wonder what kind of transfer window we might have had if Fergie hadn't retired this summer. Personally I think Rooney would have been sold and we would have gone for Ozil when he was offered to us or we might have bought Alcantara before that. Also think it is highly likely that we might have gone for Matic or Strootman in the middle. Don't think he would have been in for the market for a leftback seeing as Evra had a very good season for us and I think he would have played Zaha alot more and relied on him to improve our wings.

How likely is it though? Would he want to move to us? I thought Chelsea were back in for him?

Unlikely, red somewhere that Moyes isn't intressted in him (anymore). On top of that there is genuine intrest from Chelsea, City and Bayern in his signature. I think he'll end up at one of those 3 clubs, I'am not holding my hopes up to see him at United, although he would be a briliant signing and he is actually available (which means it probably won't happen).

I'd guess that having signed Fellaini, Matic wouldn't be considered necessary by Moyes. Buying him too would be like already buying players around Marouane to ensure we don't really have to play him.

I think the opposite. Moyes will probably want battling "solid" central midfielders like he hopes Fellaini will be when he settles down. Having another ball winner with a bit more passing ability next to him is in line with what hes done in the past

Is it wrong of me for wanting some creative, Spanish player that will definitely be able to pass, ahead of practically anyone?

This guy is probably rather good, but I just can't see the room for multiple midfielders. I can't get excited.

Is it wrong of me for wanting some creative, Spanish player that will definitely be able to pass, ahead of practically anyone?

This guy is probably rather good, but I just can't see the room for multiple midfielders. I can't get excited.

We need at least two midfielders, they'd both be world class ideally but the sad fact is that there is plenty of room for midfielder in our squad. All of the midfielders we've been linked with would be a step up.

This guy plus Rakitic and bob's your uncle, I suppose. (I can't remember ever seeing Matic TBH)

We were continously linked with Matic last season, was almost dead sure Fergie would buy him. When Moyes stepped in, the only storries linking us to him were repeated from when Fergie was interested. Ofcourse we don't know but I think it is highly likely that the managerial switch put him off our radar or atleast not on top of the list anymore.

Big chance Alcantara and Strootman are similar cases. Ferguson was a really long time admirer off them and I don't think he would have missed up a chance to sign Thiago like Moyes did.

You have to wonder what kind of transfer window we might have had if Fergie hadn't retired this summer. Personally I think Rooney would have been sold and we would have gone for Ozil when he was offered to us or we might have bought Alcantara before that. Also think it is highly likely that we might have gone for Matic or Strootman in the middle. Don't think he would have been in for the market for a leftback seeing as Evra had a very good season for us and I think he would have played Zaha alot more and relied on him to improve our wings.

We're continually linked with a fair few players though, Fellaini even when Fergie was here for example. Strootman was somebody I remember plenty here being skeptical over the quality of. With Thiago - did we really ever stand a chance with Pep involved? I got sucked into that one along with everyone else but in hindsight it was probably doomed from the off.

I think the problem last summer was the change all around - the manager, coaching staff and particularly Gill. Unless you have those deals completely done before the change over, the chance of them going through after all that change is slim whoever comes in.

I think the opposite. Moyes will probably want battling "solid" central midfielders like he hopes Fellaini will be when he settles down. Having another ball winner with a bit more passing ability next to him is in line with what hes done in the past

Hmm, I just think that, other than the whole auxillary striker thing, there is nothing we would want from Matic that we would not realistically expect Fellaini to provide. Signing Matic is basically signing the same player twice, or in effect, signing a 'replacement' for Fellaini already. Which is unlikely (no matter how desirable).

Hmm, I just think that, other than the whole auxillary striker thing, there is nothing we would want from Matic that we would not realistically expect Fellaini to provide. Signing Matic is basically signing the same player twice, or in effect, signing a 'replacement' for Fellaini already. Which is unlikely (no matter how desirable).

I think Matic looks a much better passer than Fellaini has been at United. He can also dribble. I can see some of the similarities, but again I think it'd be like Moyes to go for two players with those similar qualities and have a physical central midfield rather than the creative one football supporters would expect. I can see us being somewhere between Everton and Atletico Madrid's organised and tough to break down midfield rather than an inspiring creative one with a new Scholes in there.

I think Matic looks a much better passer than Fellaini has been at United. He can also dribble. I can see some of the similarities, but again I think it'd be like Moyes to go for two players with those similar qualities and have a physical central midfield rather than the creative one football supporters would expect. I can see us being somewhere between Everton and Atletico Madrid's organised and tough to break down midfield rather than an inspiring creative one with a new Scholes in there.

I'd have no problem with that sort of set-up myself. Atleti is probably a good comparison, especially with a Koke on the right as opposed to through the middle. City do something similar with Fernandinho and Toure too.

That being said, it wouldn't be rare for him to use to the two defensive minded midfielders in a 4-4-1-1 with the two wide players as very 'cut inside' players, the hole being played by a very creative (Rooney/Kag) player, with an out and out goal scorer up top, RVP or Hernandez.. I wouldn't worry about the rocks in midfield, if they were say

RVP
Januzaj Rooney Nani
CM-CM
LB-CB-CB-RB
Not a million miles away from what we currently are, but I think Moyes would like to players in midfield to protect the back 4 and look for wings and the man behind the striker for Creativity, which for me isn't a bad thing and provided the 3 creative positions are all players of a certain calibre, I wouldn't imagine we'd struggle. For me, Rooney is world class, as is RVP (when fit), Januzaj looks so mature for his age, if his development continues, he will be in that bracket, so out of the 4 top positions, only Nani has question marks and we already have Carrick who is a very good midfielder.. I wouldn't mind one or two signings, think it would pull us together.. Similar to the below..

RVP
Januzaj Rooney El Sharwaay
Koke(/Matic) Carrick
Shaw Evans Jones Rafael
DDG

Btw thats not to say I want that kind of midfield myself. I've been begging for a pass master in CM for ages. But its David Moyes, not Arsene Wenger and he'll probably continue to do what he's always done rather than suddenly build a team full of beautiful passers.

Rodrigo on verge of signing for Zenit which puts approx 30m euros in the Benfica coffers. If, as expected, the deal goes through then forget Matic this month. Best we could hope for is signing and loaning back (which would be the smart thing to do). Unfortunately, City looking at him as well.

I suspect we will be outmuscled on this one.

We need at least two midfielders, they'd both be world class ideally but the sad fact is that there is plenty of room for midfielder in our squad. All of the midfielders we've been linked with would be a step up.

Says it all that we needed two midfielders before we bought Fellaini, and now that he's here we still need two.

Portuguese newspaper O Jogo reports on Sunday that Chelsea are closing in on a mega deal in the January transfer window: The signing of former midfielder Nemanja Matic.
The 25-year-old Serbian has emerged as one of the top midfielders in world football over the past couple of seasons but Chelsea will likely be ruing the fact they let Matic go in 2011 as part of the swap deal that saw David Luiz arrive at Stamford Bridge.
According to O Jogo, Matic has agreed personal terms with Chelsea and is now putting pressure on Benfica to let him leave.
Benfica have rejected a bid of 35 million euros from Chelsea but the close relations between the two clubs seems to suggest a deal will be done in the coming days.
Matic has put pressure on Benfica by reportedly refusing to play for Benfica in the mouth watering clash in Portugal today against Porto.
Chelsea though expect Matic to arrive in London to complete the deal tomorrow.
And it would be a big signing for Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho, who would add steel and muscle, as well as technical quality to the Blues central midfield.

Could be going to Chelsea

I think if he signs for Chelsea, it could be the signing that swings the title their way. Their midfield needs a strong, dynamic presence. He'd be perfect for them.

It's about time Chelsea got a midfielder. Why would he sign for us and fight it out against Cleverly and Anderson, when he could walk into that Chelsea line-up?

It's frustrating watching our rivals sign midfielders whilst we stand still and claim "it's difficult in January". Still hopeful we will do something to strengthen the midfield.

I agree with those above, Chelsea's midfield needs a player like Matic, he could really make the difference for them between now and the end of the season.

He is literally the perfect player for us.

Of course im forgetting its really difficult to buy in January. fecking incredible we aren't getting involved on this one. All that absolute horseshit from Moyes about the right players not being available.

This one really frustrates me, especially because we effectively chose Fellaini instead.

You can get to see him today against Porto at 4pm. An intense game ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.