Nemanja Matic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding the above post, apparently in the CL this season he has covered more ground in the 5 games than anybody else.

I have not watched much of him, but he clearly has a real engine.

He has according to "give me sport" covered 66.390 metres, which works out about 13.2km on average every game.

If we are after a true box to box, he is certainly within a shout I think.

Him is the only midfielder i would like us to sign... (of the "affordable" ones obviously)

head and shoulders a better fit for us than the herreras and banegas out there. (even Rakitic)

Matic-Jones (carrick)
--Kagawa (wayne)--

:drool:

i doubt it will happen this winter... we just bought Fellaini so im expecting just a left fullback. but feck it would be awesome if we get him.

Him is the only midfielder i would like us to sign... (of the "affordable" ones obviously)

head and shoulders a better fit for us than the herreras and banegas out there. (even Rakitic)

Matic-Jones (carrick)
--Kagawa (wayne)--

:drool:

i doubt it will happen this winter... we just bought Fellaini so im expecting just a left fullback. but feck it would be awesome if we get him.

Will never happen while we have Fellaini here I'd imagine. We got the wrong big fecker. That said, not sure he's a 'better fit' than those you mentioned per se. There is certainly room for a Paul Scholes.

He's not fast, he's not slow. He has a long stride which makes him better than slow. That make sense?

Better than Fellaini in any case.

Not seen much of him, but Chelsea let him go right?

I think its fair to say he hardly got a chance.

They bought him at a time when he was still fairly rough/inexperienced, and challenged him to break into the Lampard/Essien/Ballack midfield.

Obviously he was not ready at that point, but he seem's more than good enough now.

Not seen much of him, but Chelsea let him go right?

He was reasonably well thought off but Benfica wanted him as part of the David Luiz deal. I think he would have had many more games for us if they didn't want him.

My only real memory of him for us was that he looked a little clumsy and slow. That's based on about 20 minutes of football though.

He was reasonably well thought off but Benfica wanted him as part of the David Luiz deal. I think he would have had many more games for us if they didn't want him.

My only real memory of him for us was that he looked a little clumsy and slow. That's based on about 20 minutes of football though.

Based on this, you would be correct.

And No2 Ray Wilkins told the club's website: "The best person is Nemanja Matic, he has been outstanding. He has come on leaps and bounds and we have all been thrilled with how he has done and long may that continue.
"His application when he has been with the reserves, his dedication and training with the reserves has been outstanding and we have a first class professional on our books."

Matic is more capable at doing everything better than Fellaini (except chesting the ball). He's faster, more mobile, better awareness, better technique, better at tackling.

Having said that he's not a world beater. Still he's slow (as common notice in the thread) but due to height covers the ground well.

I don't think however we should spunk another 30 mil at someone who is better than Fellaini (which isn't hard to find).

I think we'll end up going for him if we can't persuade any Spaniards. I don't really want another beanpole, although this one is better than the one we got mugged for in the summer.

I'll admit, i haven't seen much at all of him but the little i have seen suggests that he's not going to be a top club player which is what we should be looking for.
I do not think we'll go for him at all since we already signed Fellaini who looks to me like a similar player in that he's rather slow, big and strong.

just by watching youtube and match compilations, I have come to the conclusion that out of all the midfielders available to us, he is the one we should be going for. Unfortunately he hasnt been linked to us by the media but maybe thats a positive. He just looks so graceful on the ball and is very physical. He'd be the perfect player in our fragile midfield. He would be our answer to Yaya Toure for me.

Apparently Portuguese paper O Jogo are saying that Benfica have said Matic is available.

I've only seen him a couple of times but he looked absolutely class. Is he that good? I remember his performance against Chelsea where he basically looked like Yaya Toure. Dribbling, tackling, interceptions, good passing range. He seemed to have everything.

Apparently Portuguese paper O Jogo are saying that Benfica have said Matic is available.

I've only seen him a couple of times but he looked absolutely class. Is he that good? I remember his performance against Chelsea where he basically looked like Yaya Toure. Dribbling, tackling, interceptions, good passing range. He seemed to have everything.

He's excellent. Considerable improvement.

This nonsense the club is peddling about players not being available is infuriating - Matic, Gaitain, Garay, Coentrao, Matuidi, Carvalho, Fernando, M'Vila (despite his troubles) are all available and would instantly improve our team.

This might be the one I'm most interested in, on the basis of our need and the slightly better chance of maybe actually being able to get him if we tried.

No new links to him though, are there?

SkySports spoke with 'world football expert' Jonathan Wilson on Balkan players. Here's what he said on Matic:

He was very close to moving to Manchester United in the summer and I think he's the sort of player that United really need. He's really commanding at the back of midfield, powerful and has got that dynamism that United lack at the minute. He scores goals too so I can understand why United are very interested in him. All the word I got from people around Matic is that those negotiations have taken on a very serious shape so I think there's every chance that deal could be resurrected because Benfica are a selling club.

The interesting one is Chelsea because I think there's an issue of pride there. Having sold him, will they pay money to bring him back? It'd be embarrassing but that's better than letting him go to United. Jose Mourinho has hinted that he wants to move away from a 4-2-3-1 to a 4-3-3 but he's limited in terms of players who can play at the back of midfield. He's got John Obi Mikel, Frank Lampard and Ramires but after that there's not a lot with Marco van Ginkel being injured. He'd be ideal for that role as a holding player in a 4-3-3.

I'd approve of this.

Seriously, how many players were "very close to moving to Manchester United in the summer"?

But yeah, I'd approve too.

Seriously, how many players were "very close to moving to Manchester United in the summer"?

But yeah, I'd approve too.

Loads but Moyes decided he didn't want any of them and wanted Marianne instead :(

Why didn't Fergie just do one more year if he wanted all these players? Then he would have left the team in good health instead of on deaths door
Ferguson wanted Garay, Matic and Thiago... Moyes bought Fellaini. What kind of fecking manager do we have now
And De Rossi...

When De Rossi fell out with Roma we should have been in but we never had 1000 scout reports on him. Word from Roma is they said to him he can leave in the summer but once the season started he can't, he agreed, and United came calling after Roma had played a few games. It was too late, but I don't understand why it takes two months to decide whether we want him or not.

Strootman - 15m
Thiago - 17m
De Rossi - 10m (guess)
Coentrao - 12m

Total = 54m

Fellaini - 27.5m

Then we have Ozil - 40m.

So he could have had this as his first 22:

De Gea

Rafael (fabio)
Coentrao (Evra)
Evans (Jones)
Vidic (Smalling)

De Rossi (Carrick)
Thiago (Strootman)

Kagawa (Nani)
Rooney (Welbeck)
Ozil (Januzaj)

RVP (Hernandez)

94 million with Ozil, he could have sold young, valencia, cleverly, anderson, buttner for around 30 million probably bringing it down to 64 million.

But he said no...
It's quite sad the amount of players we realistically could of had and he wasted the whole summer trying to sign Fabregas and Baines! We end up with Marianne

Moyes not interested in Matic but was in Fellaini? That says it all really

From the moment the summer window opened I was adamant that Fellaini would be one of only a few signings we'd make. The lateness of the deal certainly suggests this anyway.

Any regular watchers of the Portuguese league made any posts on him?

He'd be perfect for us. He'd give what Jones does in midfield plus a Hell of a lot more.

Status
Not open for further replies.