Nemanja Matic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Carrick wins the ball more by reading the play than pressing hard.

Yeah. I don't remember when it was in the match but when Carrick gave the ball away, instead of hounding after the opponent, he just glanced back and closed the gap between the back four.

Carrick wins the ball more with tackles than interceptions. It was even more-so the case last season where he was averaging 3 tackles a game. There may have been a time where Carrick won the ball more with his positioning in the past, or it was a myth. Unfortunately I'm not sure there is a place that carries these stats from more than 2 seasons ago.

Bit over the top. They share similar traits, Matic might be more aggressive but they are similar players.

Anyway, getting into too much of a comparison thread at this stage. My fault.

Benfica are playing against Fenerbahce on Thursday in the first leg of the SF of Europa League for anyone who wants to see him play again.

I only meant your description of Matic, not Matic himself. Apart from that you gave us a good feedback, appreciated.

feck. With those money we could probably get Moutinho/Gundogan and Strootman.

The only big money they will get by raising the clause is from a Russian club.

Release clauses dont go up just because the club wants it to...
The player mustve signed a new contract.. and if there is any real interest, his agent would know and they probably wont sign the new deal.

Looks like a mix between Dembele and Carrick for me. Sign him up.

Seems a pretty Good player. Pretty similar to Carrick though in playing style and athleticism.

Dunno, how both of them together would work in terms of dynamism.

When does his contract expire? If it's not for a while I doubt we'll get this lad.

Looks like a mix between Dembele and Carrick for me. Sign him up.

I'd agree with that you know. You can see that he can carry the ball forward in a box to box manner, but tactically he is reserved to just sitting in front of the defence and plugging that gap. I think this has been a very good season for Matic, and I expect him to improve further. It's incredible to think that this guy doesn't get picked for out NT.

So you think it's scare tactics? Maybe. Seems a ridiculous clause, when he's not even worth half of that at this stage in his career.

Seems a pretty Good player. Pretty similar to Carrick though in playing style and athleticism.

Dunno, how both of them together would work in terms of dynamism.
We're regularly playing Carrick alongside Jones who's playing as an attacking midfielder... I really wouldn't worry about it.

We're regularly playing Carrick alongside Jones who's playing as an attacking midfielder... I really wouldn't worry about it.

Jones is a very good athlete and very dynamic, even though he might not be positionally great at Midfield right now.

Steve Kean as Mourinho's right hand man :lol:

Would be surprised if Matic went back to Chelsea. He never really got a chance there, so don't know if he would enjoy going back. S'ppose money talks though.

Very impressed by this lad tonight against Chelsea.

Said this in the match thread, reminds me a lot of Redondo the way he slaloms with the ball. Very clean passer and a clean touch as well

Yeah I like how he shields the ball and positions his body to get the right pass. Looks quite tidy, but I've only really paid attention tonight, are there any Portuguese football followers who could tell us whether he plays like this on a regular basis?

I've only seen him play 4 full games this season and this was by far the best performance from, quality all round midfield performance.

Yeah I like how he shields the ball and positions his body to get the right pass. Looks quite tidy, but I've only really paid attention tonight, are there any Portuguese football followers who could tell us whether he plays like this on a regular basis?

He's been great. Excellent player IMO, scored a few screamers, very composed both with and without the ball... I posted a bit about him a while back, I think in the Moutinho or Garay thread...

EDIT: Check these goals out if you haven't seen them.

https://www.redcafe.net/f9/ezequiel-garay-363797/index3.html#post13113613

Good game for him tonight. I think he was very good in spells, and a bit wasteful in others. He has that ability to hold on to the ball when under pressure then burst away with a couple of strides. In the second half he definitely wasn't as offensive and I think Benfica struggled a little because of it. I'm not saying he is their most important player, but when he was on top in the first half they were playing better.

Overall a really good season for him.

http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/...nchester-united-move-now-probable-claim-portu
It's been a while since Nemanja Matic was linked with a Premier League club, with the last being a quote mix up suggesting the player could return to Chelsea.

The midfielder, shining at Benfica since leaving the London club, has attracted interest from various clubs including Liverpool and Manchester United. The Red Devils have been linked with the Serbian midfielder in the past when Diario de Noticias exclusively claimed that Matic had already said “yes” to the Premier League champions.

If that had been the case, Matic would already be strutting his stuff in a red shirt around Old Trafford on a weekly basis, but he isn't.

This means that websites and newspapers are still able to write stories about him, and today's turn is Portuguese newspaper/website Record. The Portuguese media outlet claim that of all the players at the Estadio de la Luz (including the ever-leaving Ezequiel Garay), Nemanja Matic is the most likely to leave the club in January, with Manchester United his probable destination.

These are bold claims, since the last reports of a move away for the Serbian midfielder were in October. The article goes on to say that a long list of potential suitors has started to form now that he is likely to leave, and that some clubs have already made contact with the players' representatives.

Record even claim that Manchester United made a bid for the player earlier this year, only for it to be rejected by the Lisbon based club. Manchester United reportedly vowed to return as their long term goal is to lure the number 21 to Old Trafford in early 2014 (i.e. January) and even sent a scout, seen taking notes, to their game against Academica de Coimbra.

However, Manchester United aren't the only interested in the Serbian international. Rafa Benitez's Napoli are reportedly keeping an eye on the midfielder but are yet to make an official approach. Other clubs such as Real Madrid and Monaco were linked with the midfielder last summer, but with the Champions League campaign guaranteed, Luís Filipe Vieira (Benfica's current manager) refused to listen to any offers.

With the club on the verge of exiting the European competition (currently lying 3rd in their group with 4 points from 4 games), Record believe that the manager could reconsider his stance on the matter and allow Matic to leave in January if an adequate offer were to be made.

The link between Manchester United and Matic is not a surprising one. After all, Nemanja Matic is a young, promising yet already rather experienced midfielder; something Manchester United still seem to require, despite the recent arrival of Marouane Fellaini.

With the January transfer window approaching ever so rapidly, expect more development on this story in the coming weeks. Let's just hope that we don't have another Garay saga on our hands.

Should have done it in the summer instead of Fellaini I think. Him AND Fellaini may be overkill though. That said, Carrick will be 33 in the summer.

After the persistent Gaitan and Garay rumours I am taking all Portuguese outlets with a pinch of salt

Status
Not open for further replies.